LINK
By
Deb Wilson


Timeline: On Way To New Pacifica
Author's E-Mail: DWilson163@aol.com


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
Hi all,

Ok, here goes. These is a story I've been working on a long time, I've decided to finally stop revising it and post. I'm only doing the first three parts tonight, I still have a few typos to correct but I hope to post it all within the next several days.

Thanks to all my readers, Vicky, Nancy, Inga, Cathy, Lia, Linda and whoever else I've sent this to (I've sent out so many versions I can't remember who got what!)

Disclaimer: This is not meant to infringe on any copywrites held by Amblin/Universal or NBC or whoever.


"Then you know my parents had my chromosomes skewed toward the medical arts?"

Julia Heller, M.D.


Link, Part One
by Debra Wilson

"How long does it take to become a doctor?" asked True, walking next to Dr. Julia Heller.

Julia considered the question. "It depends...on access to schools, training, test scores.." This wasn't the answer True wanted and it showed on her face. "At least five to eight years, that is after your basic 10-year education, of course."

"Then I'll be old!" complained True, frowning. "How come you're a doctor and you're still young?"

"Because her chromosomes were skewed toward the medical arts," recited Uly, who was walking beside them.

"Where did you hear that?" asked Julia. Uly shrugged. "I don't remember."
Julia shook her head, she knew even if he did not. She had told Devon that information while Uly waking up from cold sleep. Strange he would remember that....

"Did you still have to go to school?" asked True, ignoring Uly. Unsure what chromo-tilting was and sensing Julia's unease, she decided to ask Yale later for more information.

"Yes," laughed Julia. "It was just easier for me than the other students" Easier, but lonelier, she recalled, remembering childhood taunts and whispers.

"Do you think I could be a doctor?" asked True. "If you study very hard," Julia nodded. "You've shown atitude for medicine whenever you're assisted me, but it takes a lot of hard work."

"Can you teach me?"
"I can teach you some things, but Yale would be a better tutor," she replied.

"School?" grimaced True.
"Lots of school," teased Julia. "We'll talk with Yale and set up a program to show you what you're in for."

"Looks like Alonzo's back," murmured Bess, from where she and Morgan walked behind them.

Julia immediately turned to watch the approaching ATV, she ignored Bess' grin. Julia and True quickened their pace to meet the arriving ATV.

"A chromo-tilt," murmured Morgan.
"What Morgan?" asked Bess. He waved her question away. They hurried to join the others.

"A perfect campsite," Alonzo was explaining to Devon, Danziger and Yale.

"Plenty of food, a river, with a natural crossing...." He held up a few pieces of fruit. "There's an orchard nearby. I say we hit it, stock up and rest for a few days."

"Vehicles could use the maintenance," muttered Danziger. "You pick a site?" "I could," said Alonzo, glancing toward the approaching Julia. "Probably should have someone come along and test the vegetation, see if it's edible."

Devon exchanged a grin with a smirking Danziger. "That sounds like a good idea. Let's see...Baines or.."

"What's good?" asked Julia, joining them. True moved to stand next to her father.

"Go ahead with Solace and check for edibles. Looks like he's picked us a resting spot," said Danziger.

She nodded, missing the amusement in Devon's eyes. "I'll get my equipment." She headed back toward the Transrover.

"How far ahead is it?" asked Devon.
"An hour with the ATV, a few hours for the vehicles," he pointed back the way he had come. "Keep going straight. I'll leave the beacon on the ATV to guide you."

"An hour?" asked Danziger, his voice neutral. "Think you can pick a camp site and check for edibles before the rest of us arrive?"

"No problem," replied Alonzo, grinning. He waited as Julia stowed her equipment and climbed on behind the ATV's seat. She wrapped her arms around his waist. He placed one hand on hers, the other on the ATV's joystick.

Then he tore out at top speed from the group, earning him a shout of protest from Julia.

"An hour?" mused Devon, watching the ATV as it sped off. "Think anything'll be done?" asked Danziger. "Knowing Alonzo, he has already selected a campsite and checked for edibles," remarked Yale. "He has been gone overnight, to find a site so close, after all."

Danziger nodded, exchanging a grin with Devon as they turned back to inform the rest of the group of their plans.

*&*&*

"Where should we camp?" asked Julia, looking around the clearing as Alonzo stopped the ATV.

"Right here," said Alonzo. "It's the best spot." Julia smiled, releasing her grip on his waist and climbed out from behind him. She reached for the scanner.

He gestured for her to leave it. "But I have to check--" "I already did," he replied, wrapping both arms around her. He kissed her deeply.

Julia leaned into him, "You planned this?" her lips centimeters from his. He grinned, meeting her gaze. "An entire hour of privacy," he whispered, moving his lips down the side of her neck.

"Really?" Falling at maintaining any cool composure as his hands began roaming her back and shoulders. Her eyes closed, her heart rate quickened as he kissed her again.

"Come on, I have a surprise," he said, surprising her by backing away suddenly. He tugged her right arm, leading her toward a path on the right

"It branches off," he explained, as they followed it. "The left fork heads to the river, but this one...to this." They stopped.

Julia looked and gasped. It was a small pond, giving off small wisps of steam as it bubbled. "Reminded me of the Jacuzzi's back on the stations," murmured Alonzo, nuzzling the back of her neck.

Julia nodded, fascinated by the steam. "We used similar whirlpools in some physical therapy for the children," she said, feeling his hands tug her shirt free from her slacks. The pool was large, big enough to hold at least six to eight people at one time. "How deep is it?"

"Six feet, water temperature around 90 degrees," he said, releasing her to remove his jacket and shoes. He reached out and splashed some water at her. She darted backwards.

"Wait Alonzo! I have to check for toxins...parasites," protested Julia. Now shirt-less, Alonzo reached behind some bushes to pull out some blankets and a sleeping bag he had stored there the night before. He spread out the bag, tossing the blankets to the side.

"I knew you'd say that," he said, turning to take her back in his arms. "I tested it when I found it, it reads safe and clean. I tried it out last night." He kissed her again, Julia wrapped her arms around his waist, letting her hands roam his back this time.

"Now the doctor's off duty, so Julia can play," he murmured in her ear, guiding her to the sleeping bag. "We've only got about 55 minutes left."

She giggled as they lay down and he tugged her shirt over her head. "What about the pool? I thought you wanted to try it?"

"We'll get to it," he replied, pulling her tight against him as they sank to the sleeping bag. "And no one's walking in this time."


"Looks like the right spot," said Danziger, pointing toward the deserted ATV.

"It's been over two hours," said Devon, looking around. "Where are they?" "I'll find them--" began Uly, starting to dart forward. "No!" Devon shouted, reaching out to snag her son before he could run off. Embarrassed by her reaction, she took a breath, then continued in a calmer voice, releasing him. "Why don't you and True help set up the tents."

"Come on champ," said Bess, guiding both children away. "I'm sure they're nearby."

"They're probably kissing again," said Uly, making a face. Walman snorted, overhearing the comment as he parked the Dunerail. True rolled her eyes at his expression, but both went with Bess.

"Yale, you don't think anything's happened to them, do you?" worried Devon. Things were certainly not always as they seemed, she knew, especially on this planet.

"Devon, I am sure they are all right," replied Yale. "They just wanted some privacy, and considering what happened the other day when True walked in unannounced...."

Devon nodded, looking around for Danziger. No, he hadn't overhead. He still had no idea his daughter had walked in on a necking session between the pair. Both Julia and Alonzo had been seriously startled, Julia mortified Devon recalled. True apparently the only one unfazed.

Yale nodded at the ATV. "The other basket is gone, perhaps they are gathering more fruit."

"Speak of the devil," Morgan said, pointing as Alonzo and Julia stepped into the clearing, the basket held between them.

"Looks like someone went for a swim," said Magus, grinning. "That sounds like an excellent idea," said Yale. "After we set up camp," said Danziger, coming up behind them.


Later that evening, as the group relaxed around the evening campfire, Julia told them about the pool. The group liked the idea of the mineral spring Alonzo had discovered. "I don't recommend more than 10 minutes at a time to begin with, since we aren't used to it. But it's very good for muscle relaxation and stress."

"I'll bet," quipped Walman, sotto voice to Baines who grinned. Alonzo grinned, though relieved Julia hadn't overhead the remark. He shifted his arm around her waist. She smiled in his direction, leaning lazily against him. They had managed a few minutes in the water, just floating. It was relaxing, perhaps too much so, she realized, fighting heavy eye lids.

"Want to turn in?" Alonzo whispered in her ear. She shook her head, content to lie against his chest, secure in his arms. He smiled, settling back against the log. He was startled when Bess draped a blanket around them. He smiled his thanks as he adjusted his grip on Julia and the blanket. Bess smiled back and took the other blanket she was carrying to wrap around herself and Morgan nearby.

Alonzo looked up at the starry night sky, then back down at Julia. He smiled as he watched her sleep, her head on his shoulder, amazed at how much had changed in his life in so short a time span.

In the last 110 years he never had a relationship last beyond two weeks with a woman. But his relationship with Julia was different than nay other relationship before it.

They were so different, she had to test and re-test everything, make sure of the path before trying it out. Not him! Just say go and he'd go, flying by the seat of his pants.

Until here, his broken leg had seen to that, making him dependent upon her. The Terrian dreams had not made it easier, especially the ones involving her.

Julia had pushed all his come-ons and passes aside. Alonzo had no idea why, until they had learned about her connection to the Council.

Then they left her behind. The group had needed someone to punish for the crash, her council ties giving them the perfect target. A bruised ego had decided his vote.

But he had gone back for her, not sure why then, only knowing he must. Their closeness had terrified them both, they tried to hide their relationship from the rest, unsure even if there was a relationship.

Unsure of this newfound closeness he decided to go on a two month scout with Danziger. At least he would have if not for the space-time fold.

Coming back to the cave, finding her gone. Thinking his teasing had driven her to pass through it before he could. Following after, driven by a desperate need to find her, make sure she was safe.

The failed cargo pod expedition and its aftermath had almost shattered things between them. She had been so withdrawn, troubled by what she -- and they -- had done to survive. But he had clung to her, knowing in his heart they had done what was necessary to survive, despite the high price.

How much they meant to each other had struck both of them when Eben died They were all dying and Julia helpless to prevent it. He had been terrified he would have to watch her die. Instead he had been the one to collapse first.

Julia stirred in her sleep, Alonzo relaxed the death grip he had on her. She settled, snuggling closer to his chest.

"Yale, what does it mean when your chromosomes are skewed toward the medical arts?" asked True, seated nearby.

Yale looked up. "It means a person's DNA structure has been altered in a laboratory before they are born," he answered. "So that when they are born they are predisposed toward that goal in life."

"What's a chromosome?"
Yale smiled, adjusting his cybernetic arm. "Part of your genetic structure." Alonzo glanced around the fire. Most of the group had drifted off to their tents. Only the Martins, Devon, Yale and the Danzigers were left beside himself and True. He was glad, Julia didn't like to talk about her genetic skew. He only used it to tease her, she was too sensitive about it otherwise. He wondered where True had heard about it.

"So when this is done," said True, anxious to cut off what she saw as the beginning of a lesson from the tutor, "you know what you're going to be when you grow up. Like Julia knowing she was born to be a doctor?"

"Where did you hear that, True?" asked Devon, startled. That information was limited to a few people she knew.

"Uly told me," she said. "Why would someone do that?" "DNA are the body's building blocks," said Yale, distracting her quickly He projected a hologram of a double helix. True watched it, fascinated. "This determines our genetic structures, eye, skin and hair color, everything from our likes and dislikes to the way we walk."

True nodded more interested in the hologram than his words, but she was listening. "Scientists have identified certain chromosomes purposes and can now alter them to what a person can be or look like, such as inclining Julia toward the medical arts."

"But why?" asked True.
"To make me a doctor," said Julia, surprising Alonzo by sitting up, "like my father."

True looked at her. "So you've only wanted to be a doctor, nothing else?" "I never considered anything else," said Julia. "Medicine was the only thing I thought about." She drew away from Alonzo. "I never asked why, I'm sure my parents had their reasons."

Everyone fell silent as each drew their own conclusions. Danziger gathered True up for bed. Devon nursed her coffee, staring at the fire. She had assumed it was as Julia said, her father wanted someone to follow in his footsteps.

Like her father had when Devon was born. Only they hadn't chromo-tilted her, because her father had despised the very idea of tilting. But she had still designed stations like him. Perhaps Julia's parents had not wanted to take a chance on fate.

But there could be another purpose she knew, since Julia's Mother served on the Board of Regents for the Council. That thought made her frown. Why not skew her toward politics instead? Why medicine?

Chromo-tilting had never really caught on back on the stations, except among the most powerful families. People still wanted to be free to chose their own destiny, not have it decided in the womb. Tilts were regarded as having an unfair advantage over everyone else, at least in Devon's opinion. She had refused the option to have Uly tilted. She wanted him free to make his own choices, not predetermine them.

It must have been hard for her, thought Devon. Knowing growing up she's been specifically engineered. Missing the joy of discovering new fields that could tap untold potential until you found what was right for you...

Julia rose, heading for her tent. Alonzo let her go, knowing from the stiffness in her posture she wanted to be alone. He leaned back against the log, he wouldn't let her stay alone too long though.

He wished True hadn't begun the conversation on chromo-tilting, but they couldn't change they way things were. Besides, he didn't love Julia for her chromosomes, and she knew that. Deciding she'd been alone sulking enough, he rose. Nodding a good-night in Devon's direction he headed toward the med-tent.

Julia was already in bed, lying on her side, her back toward him when he entered. Alonzo turned out the lantern, undressing quickly he slipped under the covers beside her.

He could tell by her breathing she wasn't asleep, but she didn't react when he pulled her against his chest. He pressed his face into her hair, no response. Alonzo decided to cheat.

He slipped his hand down to her waist, just touching one particular spot below her ribs. She jerked in place, slapping his hand away. Laughing he began to tickle her in earnest.

Julia twisted to face him, struggling to contain her laughter. "Stop it!" she managed to gasp, rolling on top of him she began to retaliate by tickling him. Laughing he caught her arms, twisting his body he pined hers beneath his.

They both took a moment to catch their breath as he shifted his grip to a lose embrace. He smiled at her, feeling her breath on his cheek. "Better?" he whispered, meeting her eyes, feeling her hands stroking his back.

"Now." she whispered, kissing him.

Alonzo jerked awake, for a moment confused by a slight beeping from his gear. He reached down and shut the noise off before it could wake Julia.He sighed, then carefully eased her off his chest as he climbed from the cot.

Alonzo smiled as he paused to watch Julia sleep. He wished he didn't have to relieve Magus for the second watch. Sighing, he slipped from the tent.

*"Julia, why aren't you in bed?" asked Jacob Stern, turning from his work to find his five-year-old daughter standing behind him.

He touched a spot on the screen and the creature there disappeared. Jacob opened his arms and his daughter climbed into his lap. She studied the medical readouts that had replaced the image. They didn't make sense to her, but she was still curious about them. "Well?"
"I'm not tired," she said.
"You want to be well rested, isn't Victoria's party tomorrow?" "I'm not going."
"And why not?"
"I'm not invited," she said. "Mother and Mr. Parker had a fight." Jacob shifted her body so she was cradled against his chest. He smiled at his youngest child, watching her fight heavy eyelids. "Julia, you understand why Mr. Parker said those things don't you?"

She shook her head.
"You know you're going to be a doctor?" Julia nodded. "You're going to be a doctor because we had your chromosomes tilted toward the medical arts."

Julia listened sleepily, as he again explained Mr. Parker's dislike of chromo-tilting. She was the only child (excluding her older sister) who had been chromo-tilted in the section they lived in. The rest of the families either didn't believe in it or didn't have authorization for the procedure.

Julia drifted closer to sleep. She felt her father carry back to her bed. He tucked her in and sat with her until she was asleep.*

Julia opened her eyes, gasping. She rolled over, reaching out blindly for Alonzo only to find him gone. Opening her eyes she sat up, looking around she remembered he had to relieve Magus at midnight for guard duty.

She lay back down, trying to get her heart rate under control. Why had she dreamed about her father?

Frowning she knew why: True's questions about chromo-tilting. Julia lay still letting her mind drift as she stared at the tent roof.

Her childhood had not been a lot of fun, she reflected. As a result of being chromo-tilt she was always ahead in class levels than any other children her age. Consequently she spent more time with her siblings than with any "friends."

Most of the other children were polite -- at least around their parents. But alone... she pushed those thoughts away. The taunting and teasing had gotten worse as she'd grown. She had finally transferred to a private university where no one knew she was a tilt, that fact safely sealed in her files. But even then, someone invariably found out.

As a chromo-tilt she had an advantage over the other students. They usually came to resent it. She had often wondered why her parents had tilted her, her father had told her she would someday understand. But then he had died and she been left to wonder if she would ever know the real reason.

Now she had a very good idea why she had been engineered -- and it was not what she had told True.

The council wanted a doctor for its viability studies of the five planets. Her parents were involved in the research of new host worlds.

Her older sister, Serena was engineered toward politics, raised to take her mother's place on the Board of Regents. Margaret was convinced of the Council's worth, not that she always agreed with their methods. One of the reasons she and Jacob Stern had met and lived together, despite constantly bickering on the occasion of their first conversation, was their belief in the Council's necessity.

Her parents had been shouting at each other just before he'd left that last time. She'd heard her name mentioned, but Alexander had made her leave and her father had left without saying good-bye.

She remembered her Mother insisting on something and her father refusing. The argument had concerned her somehow, but no one had ever told her why.

Julia smiled, they reminded her a lot of Devon and Danziger, though she doubted they would understand the comparison. And discussing her family was too difficult, even with Alonzo.

Julia had been raised a Patriot of the Council, protected and sheltered. She grew believing all the good they had done for people on the stations. She accepted what she was told, had seen all the good on the stations. Julia presumed the Quadrant and the Zones were created by irresponsible people who didn't want to take care of themselves. I believed all of it, she thought miserably, now I wonder if any of it were true.

Alexander could have told her, she realized. Her brother was the one thing she knew she could always count on. He was also the only one of them not to have been chromo-tilted. He was also the only one to openly question the Council, though never around their Mother.

Julia tugged the blanket tighter as she shifted to lie on her side. She wished her Father was there with her. It was irrational, impossible, but she needed to talk to him, she had so many questions.

But her father was dead, probably due to something ordered by the Council. According to the official report, his ship had been lost in a meteorite shower. Margaret Heller had never mentioned the accident instead throwing herself into her work, leaving her children to grieve alone.

Julia had practically been raised in the med-wards of the stations, so it was only natural that she spent most of her time there. Dr. Vasquez, an old family friend of her father's, had agreed to train her and accept her as his intern upon graduation from medical school.

He had no idea the Council would use her to spy on the Eden Project. Julia did not look forward to explaining her real reasons for volunteering for the project.


You all know the drill, comments to DWILSON163@AOL.COM


Link, Part Two
by Debra Wilson

"This is addictive," said Magus, pulling her jacket back on, eyes still on the mineral spring. "I'm going to miss this pool."

Julia and Bess laughed, agreeing. Julia was floating in the water. Bess was dressed, planning to pick some nearby flowers. Magus headed back to camp, she had promised Cameron help in picking more fruit.

Sighing Julia climbed from the water and dried off. There were still several samples waiting for her to test back at the med-tent.

Dressed she turned only to find a man standing behind her. She gasped, stepping back. He seemed equally surprised to see her, evidently intending to soak in the pool, judging by the blanket he carried.

"Julia..I--" Bess froze, coming upon them. As Julia moved to stand beside her, the man reached out and grabbed her arm. "Wait," he said, jerking her back.

"Have you seen Julia?" asked Alonzo, meeting Magus on the path toward the pool.

"She's soaking," grinned Magus. "Going to join her?" "I just might," grinned Alonzo, heading past her as she laughed "Let her go!" shouted Bess, her voice carrying back toward them. Both ran toward the pool.

"I'm sorry," he said, releasing her. "You startled me. I didn't think anyone else was here."

Julia rubbed her arm, holding her ground. "We're just passing through." He didn't look dangerous or insane, but she still wished she had a sediderm handy.

"To where?" he asked. "It's not like we can go anywhere." Julia and Bess exchanged glances as Alonzo and Magus charged up. Magus aimed her magpro at the man.

"It's all right," said Julia, as he tensed. "Are you all right?" Alonzo came up behind Julia, barely able to resist the urge to place himself between her and the stranger.

"I'm fine," she said.
Bess moved forward. "We were just introducing ourselves, this is Julia, this is Alonzo, Magus and I'm Bess."

"Dr. Daniel Matlind," he responded. "I live just over there," he pointed back the way he'd come. "I've been here about 10 years now, give or take."

It was clear he was not used to being around people, Bess thought. She smiled, holding out her hand. He shook it. "You're a doctor?"

"Yeah, ticked off some people and got shucked here," he said. He noticed the flowers in Bess' hands. "You might want to be careful with those," he said. "The thorns have a bit of a toxic reaction." Bess dropped the flowers.

"You've been studying the indigenous life?" asked Julia. "Wasn't much else to do," he said. "You're a doctor, aren't you?" he gestured to her caduceus pin. She nodded.

"I think you should come back with us and meet the others," said Bess.

Daniel appeared stunned at the number of people back at camp. "You've got quite a group," he said, looking around at the stares of the others.

For the most part, he was greeted by curious and/or suspicious stares from the others. Both Uly and True had been corralled by Cameron to help pick fruit, but everyone else was there to see him.

Bess shrugged. "We're only the beginning," she said. "There's over 250 families on the colony ship."

"Colony ship?"
"Yes," said Devon, moving forward to meet them, Danziger at her side. "We're the advance group."

Daniel nodded, following her over to the food tent. Bess got everyone some coffee.

"Forgive my asking..."
"Dr. Daniel Matlind," he replied, smiling at Devon. "Dr. Matlind, but why are you here?" she asked. "What she's trying to politely ask is, what did you do to get dumped here?" said Danziger.

"Oh..." Daniel looked up suddenly as Yale joined them. "A Yale," he exclaimed. "I worked on those."

Devon exchanged glances with Yale, annoyed by the man's reaction. Yale was more understanding as it was fairly common back on the stations.

"You worked on the Yale program?" said Yale. "But that program ended a very long time ago."

"The Council wanted to revive it," explained Daniel. "So they gathered a group of scientists and researchers together to find out what had gone wrong with the first generation."

"And you helped them," said Morgan Martin, seated nearby. "Not exactly," sighed Daniel. "You see at first, it was all pure research, studying old data from the destroyed units. Just plodding through old files... Then they decided to try it out on new subjects."

"And?" prompted Devon, hiding her annoyance with the man's attitude. She was well aware the "destroyed units" had all been human beings.

"I couldn't do it," replied Daniel. "So I faked my research, tried to sabotage the others. It was fairly simple, I knew why the former program had failed and utilized my knowledge."

Daniel sighed. "It was working -- too well. One of my fellow researchers figured out what I'd done and turned me in. They couldn't very well try me, they didn't want anyone to know what they were doing. So they dumped me here."

"And you've been here 10 years?" asked Devon, she sipped her coffee. Daniel nodded, staring into his cup. "Occasionally I'd see people, penal colonists mostly."

"Who else?" asked Danziger, seated across the table from him. Daniel shrugged. "No one, except the Grendlers and like. After awhile you think they're people too, them and the Terrians."

"I got most of my supplies by trading with Grendler's or penal colonists," he shrugged. "I guess they decided it was a good idea to have medical aid handy, they've never harmed me.

"I've even been called on to aid Grendlers. Delivered one just last year," he laughed. Julia looked down at her hands at the comment. "Amazing creatures."

"Mom! Mom!" Uly raced toward the food tent, True hot on his heels. "Guess what---"

Both he and True stopped upon seeing Daniel. He smiled at them. "Who are you?" asked Uly.

"Uly!" said Devon, pulling her son aside. "That's not polite." "I'm Daniel."
"Uly, weren't you supposed to be helping Cameron pick some fruit?" asked Devon, getting her son's attention.

"We were," interrupted True. "But there was a Terrian..." "I'll tell it. They came to see me!" protested Uly. True rolled her eyes, starting to interrupt.

"Whoa," said Danziger, calming things down. "What happened? Where's Cameron?"

"He's over there," True pointed, they could see the colonist unpacking the picked fruit for Bess to sort through.

"This Terrian just showed up, he seemed upset," said Uly. Devon turned to Alonzo, he shook his head. "They haven't contacted me," he said.

Daniel started. "They talk to you?"
Everyone hesitated, belatedly remembering their guest. Danziger grimaced, Alonzo shrugged. "Sometimes," he replied.

"How?" Daniel seemed to realize he was treading on dangerous ground. "I'm sorry. I've been here for years and I haven't been able to make much head way with them."

"They bother you?" asked Danziger.
Daniel shook his head. "No, sometimes they show up or I see them in the distance."

"When were first landed, they contacted us through Alonzo's dreams," Julia said softly. Alonzo smiled at her.

"I didn't understand it at first, but now I can keep them out of my head when I want," he said. "I can also contact them, which I suppose you want me to do?"

"Yes," Devon nodded, wrapping one arm around her son. The message clear: she wanted no more contact with the Terrians and Uly than necessary.

"I'll try tonight," he promised.


It was late when Daniel returned to his cabin. Tiredly he turned on a luma-light.

"So I take it first contact was a success?" Reilly's voice startled him. Daniel whirled to find the man seated in a nearby chair. "You aren't supposed to be here, suppose one of them were with me?"

"Bringing the boy home would have been preferable," replied Reilly. "Besides, they aren't, are they? Not even Citizen Heller."

Daniel moved about the cabin, examine various knickknacks. "Don't worry, I haven't disturbed anything."

Daniel ignored him. "Things would be going smoother if you had remained in cold sleep. You aren't needed here. They know you, thanks to your `brilliant' plan to be the council's liaison here. Eve should have generated another image in her contacts with Heller."

"It was a logical decision, Doctor," Reilly shrugged. "Had Heller not betrayed us it would have ensured a seamless transition in obeying me."

"If you say so," Daniel snorted, well aware of his superior's inflated ego. "Report Citizen. Initial contact appears to have been successful. Have you access to the boy?"

Daniel hedged. "No, though we've met. Adair and her group are very protective of the boy, with reason. They made no mention of his link to the Terrians, however, he did."

"How?" Reilly was very interested now, Daniel could tell by the way he moved to perch on the edge of the chair.

"Apparently some Terrians attempted contact with him earlier today," Daniel frowned.

"Did they succeed? Do you know what they wanted?" Daniel shook his head. "The boy's contact is tenuous at best. He's a child, with a child's attention span. For a moment I was concerned they would make mention of their dead comrade."

Reilly waved it away. "You didn't kill the creature, the Grendlers did. You merely dissected a cadaver."

Daniel shrugged. "I got what I needed," he said. He remembered the Grendlers bringing him the Terrian's corpse. They seemed nervous about it, but had quickly agreed to trade it for a pint of human blood. Now he had the Terrian DNA he needed for the experiment.

"Were you aware that Alonzo Solace can communicate with the Terrians?" "What?" Reilly shot to his feet.
Daniel nodded, enjoying the man's reaction. "Via the dreamplane. Apparently he's had great success, Adair uses him to communicate with the Terrians instead of her son."

Reilly nodded, pondering the information. "Citizen Heller never mentioned it. Have you any idea how and why they chose him?"

Daniel shook his head. "No, from what I found with previous subjects this dream plain is a sort of telepathic communication. I'm not sure how it works. I am still not convinced it's not some sort of delusion."

"Would Solace make a better subject for the experiment?" asked Reilly. "After all, if he can communicate with the native lifeforms already...."

Daniel shook his head. "It would take too long to prepare for him. With my chosen subject I already have a prepared genetic makeup to work with, Solace would bring too many variables to the experiment."

"Then we will proceed with your plan, Doctor. Are you sure you can duplicate the same genetic alterations in our subject as in the boy?"

"Yes, I still must protest your methods though. It would be better to remove my subject from the group."

"You have the chip, Doctor."
"Control is limited without complete behavior modification." "You can hardly mindwash Dr. Heller without someone noticing, now can you?" sneered Reilly. "You are certain your experiment will succeed?"

Daniel sighed, going over the data again. "Yes. The Terrians, for all purposes act as a group mind. To control the planet you must control them

Dominate the group mind with someone of our choosing we establish control Heller was specifically created for this link. For all appearance so far, Dr. Stern did quite well with his creation."

"Yes, A pity he did not follow the rest of his orders," Reilly nodded, waving that away. "You'll have to do the best you can, Doctor. I have the utmost confidence in you."

Daniel nodded. "The timetable is the same?" Reilly nodded, studying him. "Can you succeed, Doctor?" "Of course," replied Daniel, sitting down at his desk. "But I do not want my results tainted."

"Have you anything else to report?" Reilly didn't care about tainted results. He cared only for success.

"Not at this time," said Daniel. "You were right about Heller. She's very manipulable."

Reilly smiled. "Citizen Heller has to remember where her true loyalties lie and what she was engineered for."

"I'll be starting tomorrow. I've invited Dr. Heller over to examine some of my studies on the native flora and fauna."

Reilly smiled.


Ok, this part's a little more interesting than the first one, I hope!

Comments to:
DWILSON163@AOL.COM


Link, Part Three
by Debra Wilson

"You've done a lot of research," said Julia, studying Daniel's handwritten journal notes. She was amazed by Daniel's cabin. He had explained some convicts had helped him build the place about six years ago in exchange for medical aid. She was surprised by the workmanship they had done on the place. Daniel also seemed a natural at trading with Grendlers, judging by the amount of medical equipment. She wished she had some of it.

"I've had the time," he said. "I can't stand just existing, I need my work. There's so much to learn here." He moved to a wooden chest, opening it carefully. "I've got something you should find interesting."

She turned to see him holding up a jar filled with a dark liquid. "What is it?"

"Terrian DNA," said Daniel. Julia stared at him, then returned her gaze to the jar. "About a year ago, I came across a newly deceased Terrian. I man aged to extract some fluid and tissue samples before the earth took it. I've been studying it. It took me a long time to isolate the DNA."

Julia stared at the jar, stunned. "The properties are unique, to say the least," continued Daniel.

She held the jar closer to a luma-light. Memories of her botched experiment with Uly's DNA overwhelming her. She blinked. "May I take some to analyze? My equipment isn't perfect, but.."

"Sure," said Daniel, after hesitating a moment. He frowned, then reached out and took the jar, moving to his desk.

"I think the Terrians wanted me to find the body," he continued in a rush. "Like they wanted me to learn all I could about them." He has his back to her as he removed some fluid from the jar and put it in a small vial.

"But that's only the first step," said Daniel. "This should leave me enough."

"For what?"
"I'm planning on injecting myself with it, to see if I can better communicate with the Terrians."

Julia stared at him, horrified. "Your body will reject the DNA," she warned. "How do you know?" he asked. "I've come up with a mixture--" She told him, haltingly of her experiment with Uly's DNA. How Uly had been changed by the Terrians, cured of the Syndrome. She left out the reasons for the experiment: to protect Uly from the Council.

Daniel frowned. "Are you sure your body rejected it? Were there any residual genetic effects?"

Julia frowned. "I detected no changes with the diaglove. But I never drew spinal fluid to check on a molecular level."

"I think you should check," said Daniel, frowning. Julia sighed, but he was right. She had not drawn spinal fluid after the experiment. Dealing with the ZED and regaining everyone's trust -- there had simply been no time. She had assumed the DNA had been rejected and expelled from her system.

"All right...."
"Good, we can begin right away. My examination room's right here," he indicated a small curtained alcove. Julia slowly followed him inside, quelling a vague uneasiness lying on the examination table caused her.

"This will only take a moment," said Daniel, readying his equipment.


"Well?" asked Reilly as Daniel entered the laboratory. "You were correct in your assumptions," replied Daniel. "Heller's betrayal is not an act." He held up the vial of Terrian DNA. "And your other idea of showing the DNA also worked. I got her to confide in me, and to provide a spinal sample."

"Where is it?"
"She took it with her," Reilly scowled. Daniel held up his hand. "She'll be back in the morning, I'll retrieve it then. She's beginning to trust me, as you predicted."

"You should have studied the VR records better, Doctor," said Reilly. "Citizen Heller is very predictable."

Daniel said nothing, securing the DNA in a cabinet. "I'll implant the chip tomorrow."


"I was wondering where you were," said Alonzo, jumping up from his perch on her chair as Julia entered the med-tent.

She smiled, accepting his embrace. "Miss me?" she asked. "Oh, yeah," he murmured, kissing her. His hands roamed her back, pulling her shirt free he ran them up her back. One hand started to trace her spinal column as she shuddered in response to his carcasses.

Suddenly she stiffened, "Ow!"
"What's wrong?" he asked, concerned. She reached back, rubbing her spine He turned her around and looked at the needle mark there.

"It's nothing," she turned away, moving to change. "I just drew a spinal sample."

"Spinal sample, yourself?" Alonzo dropped back on the cot. "Daniel drew it," she said, staring at him, not liking the expression on his face, though perversely it amused her for some reason. "He *is* a doctor."

Alonzo continued to frown. "Why? Are you sick?" She hesitated, then sighed. "We were talking about Terrian DNA, I told him about my experiment," she looked away from him. "He has some Terrian DNA, he wants to inject himself....form a link."

"What!" he stared at her in shock, standing quickly. "I told him what happened with--"
"Julia, it's too coincidental, he could be a spy. A doctor in the middle of nowhere?"

She stiffened. "Considering how many people are here on this supposedly uninhabited planet, why should I be surprised?"

"Why the sample?"
"He wondered if there were any residual effects in my genetic structure. He drew the sample and analyzed it."

"Were there?"
"No, it's completely out of my system," she said, not reporting that Daniel had been unconvinced of this. She had the sample now, in the morning she would run her own tests. She frowned, she had forgotten to bring the Terrian DNA with her. Shrugging it off, she decided she would retrieve it in the morning. She began to change into her night clothes.

Alonzo nodded, lying down he watched her preparing for bed. When she was finished, he captured her hand, tugging her down next to him. Once she was settled he reached over and turned out the luma-light.

He lay with her wrapped in his arms, listening to her breathing as she fell asleep. But he stayed awake, frowning as he thought about Daniel and the Terrian DNA.

He had been unable to contact the Terrians as Devon wanted. He wasn't alarmed by this, perhaps this tribe was merely curious about Uly. He wished they would answer his calls to them.


"The maps do not have exact details of this forest," explained Yale, indicating the charts on the table. "There may be a path here, but..." he pointed.

"We'd better make sure," said Danziger, agreeing, sipping his morning coffee. "Otherwise we'll lose time if we have to double back. Solace and I can do a scout."

"Two people?" asked Devon, surprised. "Matlind said he's traded with penal colonists and Grendlers. He may trust them, I don't," replied Danziger. "I've got Baines setting up the perimeter sensors, just in case."

"What's up?" asked Alonzo, joining them. "We've going to do a scout," replied Danziger. "Get your gear, we leavein 10 minutes."

"So you don't trust him," said Danziger, reaching for a pair of jumpers from the backseat of the rail as Alonzo stopped the vehicle.

"Do you?" asked Alonzo.
Danziger shrugged. "Not really," he admitted. "You think he's from the Council?"

"I don't know," Alonzo shook his head. Danziger climbed from the vehicle, walking forward with the jumpers.

Both men scanned different directions seeking a clear route for the group and vehicles.

"Does Julia trust him?" asked Danziger, watching the younger man out of the corner of his eye.

"I don't know, she seems to," Alonzo stiffened. "She said he's done a lot of research into the plant life here."

"We'll be moving on soon. So it shouldn't matter," muttered Danziger. He gestured. "That looks passable. Let's check it out." They headed back to the rail.


Julia frowned, studying the journal entry. This couldn't be right. These were Elizabeth Ansion's entries. How had Daniel gotten them? She looked up as he entered the cabin. "Ah, you've found them. I traded with a Grendler for those last summer."

Julia looked at the datapad. "I met Elizabeth, she died recently, Cold Sleep Syndrome." She frowned at the painful memories.

"She must have been ancient," he exclaimed. "No, her group had spent the last 50 years in cold sleep, thinking they were on their way back to the Stations." Julia cut off the flood of memories. The sicknesses, leaving Devon. It was over, Devon was well now.

Daniel shook his head, stunned. "How horrible to wake up and find yourself stuck here."

"What else have you gotten from the Grendlers?" she asked. He indicated the desk drawer, opening it to reveal various knick knacks. "Most of it's useless."

Daniel turned as a kettle near the fireplace began to whistle. "Want some herbal tea?" Julia nodded, still pursuing the draw's contents..

"I've forgotten what coffee tastes like," said Daniel. "But this tea is almost as addictive."

Julia accepted the tea, sipping it she went back to studying the journals. "If you'll excuse me, I want to check my herb garden," said Daniel, slipping out.

A few minutes later, Julia realized Daniel was right about the tea, she had already drained her cup. She put it down as she turned off the datapad, having reached the end of Elizabeth's notes.

She looked at Daniel's cluttered work desk. She hesitated, then moved to began searching the papers and items scattered about.

*This is wrong, I have no right to do this,* but she didn't stop. Alonzo's worries about the Council playing in her head. He could be right, she could not afford to endanger the group just because someone from her field suddenly appeared. *Besides, Daniel said I could look through it.*

Daniel could be a spy, she thought. And I won't endanger Eden Project again. She pulled open the top left drawer, it was mostly filled with bits of electronic parts, data chips, wires and tools. Suddenly everything went hazy, she blinked, straightening. Automatically bracing her hands on the desktop, sending papers flying.

Shaking her head she returned to the task at hand, pawing through the other drawers. She returned to the top one. She was on the verge of shutting it when a small glass tube caught her eye.

Slowly she picked it up. A small metal chip was inside it. No! her mind reeled as she recognized it. Her heart began to beat faster Why does Daniel have this?

She recalled the last time she'd held one of these. Showing it to Danziger after having removed it from Alex Wentworth's brain.

"Ah, you can't change your spots after all, can you?" said Daniel, surprising her.

Julia whirled, the tube still in her hand. She let it fall to the drawer, dropping it inside. "What?" she slurred, trying to unobtrusively slide the drawer shut.

"Come now, Citizen Heller," sneered Daniel, moving toward her. Julia stumbled away from the desk and him. "You needn't pretend with me. We're on the same side, remember?"

"But then again, this proves we are not," He reached into the desk, pocketing the glass tub. "I'm sorry you had to find this so soon. I was hoping for more time."

"No...." she whispered, reaching backward on the table for her gear. Her hands brushed her empty cup, sending it to the floor. For a moment she stared at it, trying to make her thoughts connect and her body obey her. *The tea, he's drugged the tea!*

"Looking for this?" Daniel held up her gear. Julia braced herself, then lunged past him for the door. She had to get out of here before she collapsed.

Daniel tossed the gear aside as he effortlessly reached out and grabbed her about the waist. She struggled, arms flailing, but she was fast losing the ability to control them.

Daniel hauled her back, his arm tight around her wait. An adrenalin surge kicked in, Julia struggled harder. She tried to pull her gear from his hand.

Daniel threw it across the cabin. Julia paused, staring after it, confused. "Why?" she murmured, blinking. It was getting harder to concentrate.

"Come now, Doctor. I'm just helping you. You want to save the boy and help the people on the stations, don't you?"

Daniel pulled a sediderm from his pocket, she felt it hiss against her neck, then nothing as sleep overtook her.

He shifted her weight, lifting her unconscious body in both arms, moving toward the fireplace. "Deactivate," he ordered.

The fireplace shimmered, and was replaced by a shining steel door. It opened as he approached, revealing an elevator stall. Daniel entered, it closed behind him.

"Ah, so you're finally ready to begin," Reilly said, greeting them as they exited the elevator into an underground laboratory.

The room was entirely encased in metal. An examination table stood in the center of the room, Daniel moved to it, placing Julia's body on it. "You could have warned me she would be resistant to the tea," he scowled.

"We only know part of her chromo-tilting, her father obviously added some unmentioned genetic alterations," soothed Reilly. "Jacob Stern had his own plans for his daughter that did not include the Council. A fatal error on his part."

Daniel ignored him, turning Julia on her side. He pinned her hair away from the back of her neck. "Will you be injecting the DNA now?"

"Not yet," replied Daniel, pulling the glass tube from his pocket. "What are you doing that for? Simply cut it off," snapped Reilly, stepping forward, eyeing the hairclip.

"A drastic change in hair style would be noticed," replied Daniel, making sure the clip would hold. "And since you insist we remain part of the group, that would lead to questions we don't need."

"We've been over this Dr. Matlind," replied Reilly, sitting down. "We must be prepared for all variables. Should your experiment fail, we would still have access to the boy. Removing Heller from the group would cost us that"

"Then we take the boy with us as well," sighed Daniel, removing the glass tube from his pocket and moving to his work station.

"The boy is protected, remember?" sneered Reilly. "Besides, I would prefer the link to be Heller, an adult, especially one controlled by your neuro-chip. It is the perfect solution to the Councils needs."

"You understand the chip will not have complete control of Subject B at this point?" asked Daniel, preparing an injection.

"Yes, yes, proceed Doctor." Reilly wandered about the small room, picking and replacing various items on shelves and counter tops.

Daniel paused. "I can only implant the chip today. Heller's finding it was... unexpected....she took her sample back with her. I'll have to retrieve it before I can begin the next stage."

"Why didn't you get it back first?" said Reilly, pausing in his examination of some tissues in a liquid filled jar.

"I would have, but she doesn't quite trust me," he said. "She found the chip. Better to implant it now, time is our enemy here, isn't it?" He turned back to his work.

Reilly nodded, understanding. "Do the best you can, Doctor. But do not fail. We've risked much by coming here now."

"I know, I know," Daniel finished with his equipment and wheeled over a small tray to the examination table. "These aren't optimum conditions, but there should be no dangers to the patient. Thankfully this is a minor procedure." He turned Julia, so she lay on her stomach.

"You have a fully stocked laboratory, Doctor. Please don't start whining about conditions now," said Reilly. "It's served you well these past few years."

Daniel said nothing, making a small incision with a laser scalpel. He quickly moved to inject the chip into her system. "It should fuse with her neural cortex within a few hours. When it does, stage one will be complete. I will monitor her for 24 hours to make sure there's no sign of its rejection.

"Another disadvantage to no DNA, a higher chance of chip rejection. You're sure there's no record of any other genetic enhancements in her file?"

Reilly nodded. "We were lucky to get what we have. Stern was very clever about his records. A pity really, he was one our most brilliant researchers." He moved closer to stare down at Julia. "She was one of his better creations."

"Once the experiment is successfully concluded, I will remove this chip and add the new one, with the combined DNA strands," said Daniel, applying a healing pad to the small wound.

"The mark is minor, it should heal quickly," he told Reilly. "However, I will feel better once she's been reprogrammed."

"Once your experiment is complete, remove Heller from the group and return here. We'll use the shuttle to get back to the satellite," said Reilly. " Once Heller is mind wiped, we'll have control over her and this planet."

He moved to a side door. "You will begin the first injection tomorrow?" "Within 48 hours."
"How? Adair will be dragging her group forward," growled Reilly. "I've found a way to delay her, at least long enough to join her group," replied Daniel.

"How?" Reilly did not like to repeat himself. Daniel removed his diaglove. "Some bartering with the natives," he smiled. "I cannot begin the next phase until Heller returns her DNA sample," he reminded Reilly. He moved to lift her limp body off the table. "I expect better and faster results with the pure Terrian DNA strand."

"You should never have let her seen it," said Reilly. "You wanted me to gain her confidence," reminded Daniel, annoyed since that had been Reilly's idea to begin with. "I did, she was suspicious." He decided not to inform Reilly how he had caught Julia searching his desk. "But as you suspected, a portion of her is still loyal to us."

"Do not fail, Doctor. The entire Council agenda is depending on your success," said Reilly.

Daniel nodded, carrying Julia back into the elevator. He settled Julia back in the chair at the table. He removed his caduceus pin from his collar, "Julia? Come on now, wake up..." He shook her gently. Julia stirred, still groggy. "What...." she started to remember, trying to get her body to obey her mind's command to run. Daniel grabbed her chin, forcing her to look at him. Holding up caduceus pin he pressed on it, a high-pitched signal from it activated the control mechanism of the implanted neuro-chip. While not fully attached to her body yet, it nonetheless should begin working immediately he knew. Julia froze, her expression blank.

She could still feel and think, but her body was no longer obeying her commands.

"You will return to camp, then when everyone else is asleep, get up and bring me all your data on Ulysses Adair." Julia shuddered. Daniel frowned The chip should be controlling better, even not fully connected. She became still. It would take time for the chip to overcome her emotional responses, this was common with this type of chip, especially without a mindwipe.

"You will also return the spinal fluid I drew from you. Wait until every one is asleep, then you will meet me at the mineral pool. Acknowledge your orders."

"Acknowledged," she said. Daniel nodded, pressing the metal pin again. She rose and left.


"Hey Doc!" Julia looked up from her microscope as Alonzo entered the med-tent. He held up another basket of fruit. "Found some new types to test."

She smiled, picking up a scanner. "What have you been up to?" he asked. "Some tests," she said. "Catching up on camp physicals." She checked the scanner. "Edible, no signs of any toxins. Speaking of physicals.."

"Hmm?"
"You're overdue..." He smiled, coming up behind her, wrapping both arms around her waist. "Alonzo, I'm serious. I have to make sure everyone is healthy.."

"Of course, you do," he nuzzled her neck. She squirmed, fighting her reactions, determined to make him understand the importance of a check-up. He smiled suddenly. "All right, I'll make a deal with you."

"What sort of.. deal?" she gasped, turning in his arms to face him. He traced the side of her cheek with his fingers. Their lips centimeters apart.

"After you examine me, I get to play doctor," he replied as their eyes met. She fell into them, smiling. "I think that's acceptable," she whispered as their lips touched.

"Is that all you guys do?" asked Uly, entering the med-tent. "I thought we were going to explore the south side, Alonzo."

Alonzo and Julia froze, their foreheads touching as they laughed. Alonzo kissed her cheek and moved to lead Uly from the tent.

"Someday kid, you'll like the idea," he said as they left. "Not me!" Uly cried, as Julia laughed returning to her work.


It was late, Morgan yawned. He hated night duty, but at least this camp was pretty secure. Baines had the perimeter scanners up, not the lasers though - they weren't staying long enough for that.

So at least he'd have warning if anyone snuck up on the camp. He was surprised to see Julia moving from the med-tent. She carried a towel and appeared headed toward the pool. He shrugged, a late night soak. He and Bess had enjoyed the pool last night.

He wondered why Alonzo wasn't with her though. Shrugging he set off on a walk around the camp perimeter.

Daniel nodded as Julia approached. He adjusted the diaglove he wore, moving to take her readings. He checked the injection area. It was healing nicely. "Did you bring it?" he asked.

She handed the data chip to him. "All my research on this planet and findings related to Ulysses' Adair genetic alterations are here." She held up a vial. "The spinal fluid sample."

Daniel nodded, securing the device in his pocket. He would upload it to Eve later. "Continue monitoring Eden Project. You will report to me in the morning."

He turned and headed away from the pool. "Enjoy your soak," he murmured as he left.

Morgan turned a corner, hesitant to get within viewing area of the pool. He froze when he caught sight of Daniel leaving the pool area.

He turned around and headed back to his perimeter station. What Julia did wasn't his business -- especially if it involved a lover's triangle.

Daniel returned to his lab. Reilly was waiting for him. "Why haven't you begun the second stage?" he demanded, an angry scowl on his face.

"In a hurry?" quipped Daniel, studying Julia's data in his computer. "Your flippancy is unappreciated, Dr. Matlind. May I remind you we have an agenda and a timetable that must be kept. The Council must have control on this planet before Adair's colony gains a foothold."

Daniel nodded, engrossed in the data before him. "Of course, that wouldn't work," he muttered suddenly. He looked at Reilly. "You saw how she was running her experiment and you didn't stop her?"

"I did not know, she was talking to Eve remember? Besides, she only reported in bare details, she was already beginning to turn against us."

"She should have known better," he looked up. "From my initial study of her earlier experiment I know why Heller's earlier DNA transfer failed."

"Why?"
"Two reasons, Ulysses Adair's DNA, while containing sufficient Terrian traits, which cured his Syndrome, was regarded as an invader by her immune system. Second, she assumed she could remake her DNA via a series of inadequate injections with--"

"Skip the techno-babble, Doctor. Can you succeed where Heller failed?" "I believe so," said Daniel. Reilly paused, then straightened, assuming a firm expression.

"Believe." Reilly stiffened. "You must be certain, Doctor. You will only have one chance."

"There's still the boy," reminded Daniel. Reilly shook his head. "He is protected by his Mother and her bunch, not to mention the Terrians. Heller was right in her summation, she is the preferred choice. The boy is both too young and too tainted by his mother."

"A mindwash would cure that," said Daniel as he stored the data. He frowned. "Her Adair information is coded, I don't have access to it."

"Get it from Heller later. Is there anything else important in her data?" "Her basic medical data is uncoded. But her data relating to aspects of this planet is coded. I can't even access her information on Solace," Daniel growled, annoyed by the unforeseen delay.

"Have Eve break the codes," said Reilly. "What have you found out about him?"

"He can reach this dreamplane of theirs, apparently it's how they recovered the boy when he was first taken and healed," said Daniel, recalling conversations with Uly and True.

"Solace," Reilly remembered the pilot. "He is the reason for Heller's change in loyalty. When she was left behind, he went back for her."

"Left behind?" said Daniel.
"Yes, immediately following her DNA experiments. Eve tracked them through the biostat chips." Reilly shook his head. "You should really keep abreast of all data, Doctor, not just what holds your scientific interest."

"She's currently sharing her bed with the pilot," Daniel reported. "Obviously the chromo-tilting did little to breed out hyperactive hormones," said Reilly. "I take it you will be dealing with this new problem?"

Daniel smiled. "It doesn't matter. I'll be ending that relationship. I need to talk to Eve."

Reilly gave a mock bow, "I'll leave you to your work, Citizen." He left the lab. The screen on the side wall activated, the image of a young woman appeared. "Yes, Dr. Matlind?"

"Eve, do you have complete medical records on Dr. Julia Heller?" "Of course," she displayed them. "They were sent along with her identicard." Daniel studied the readings she displayed. "Ah, there it is," he nodded to himself.

"Do you require anything else, Doctor?" "Yes, I'm uploading some coded files. I want you to access them." "Certainly, Dr. Matlind." Eve's image disappeared, the screen went dark. Daniel turned to his gear, opening a coded file. "Having retrieved Subject B's spinal fluid sample, Project Link may now progress.

"The following will be known here on as Subject A: Ulysses Adair. Subject B: Dr. Julia Heller.

"Subject A has been genetically altered by native lifeforms known as Terrians. His DNA shows partial traits, making him a link between the two species.

"Project Link will attempt to duplicate similar genetic alteration in Subject B.

"Theory: Splicing Subject B's human DNA with Terrian DNA will result in a link between the two species. Further: by injecting a neuro-control chip into Subject B, control will maintained over this new species by myself and Council operative Reilly.

"Procedure: Subject B's DNA has been isolated from a spinal fluid sample Terrian DNA will be spliced into it and then the new mix will be re-injected back into the spinal column. DNA transfer will be concluded after three injections. The first will be a low dosage of the new DNA strain.

"If there is no sign of rejection, the next dose will be administered, The second will contain enhancers enabling the new DNA to be assimilated into Subject B's genetic structure at a faster rate.

"The experiment will be concluded with an injection of a third dose. I expect this will result in another link, this time created and controlled by humans, between the two species.

"Subject B will be monitored and control by myself via neuro-control chip. Chip is experimental, command mode is activated with a supersonic transmission. Unlike previous chips, this one will allow me to control subject with commands instead of the standard pre-programmed behavior modification generally associated with these chips.

"Complete control of the subject will be achieved after the experiment is successfully concluded via a mindwash and chip alteration."

Daniel rose. "I will join with Eden Project to monitor and continue experiment. While this adds a certain risk to the experiment's success, there is no choice. Once experiment is successfully concluded, Subject B and my self will return to base and await further instructions."

Daniel turned off the file.
He held up the hypo-spray. "I need now only begin."


Comments to: DWILSON163@AOL.COM


Link, Part Four
by Debra Wilson

"What do you mean, what exactly did you see?" asked Bess, trying to get Morgan attention. For his part, he was intent on getting a few hours of sleep before they packed up camp and moved on.

"Come on, Bess. I'm tired! It was probably nothing. I just saw Daniel there. And Alonzo wasn't....Where one goes the other follows..." sighed Morgan, closing his eyes. "And she was acting weird...I can't explain it.." his voice drifted off. "And then Daniel was there."

Sighing, Bess rose and left the tent. She would get the bottom of this mystery. Morgan probably misread the entire situation, sometimes he was too suspicious for his own good.


"Danziger, what is it? What's wrong?" asked Devon, hearing a few creative expletives being tossed out.

"This!" he pointed at various wires and parts on the ground in front of the Dunerail. "Baines and Walman chased off some Grendlers this morning. Looks like they were after the vehicles."

"Or at least parts of them," finished Devon, shaking her head. "How long to repair?"

"At least half a day. We're going nowhere until mid-day." he bent down to work as True brought over his tools.

Devon turned to stare around the compound. "We've lost too much time already," she muttered, turning away as she looked for Yale.

Danziger caught her arm. "We'll get there, Adair," he said quietly. Releasing her arm he quickly turned back to his work.


Someone was whistling.
Sitting up, True Danziger pushed her VR gear away from her eyes. The last thing she remembered was beating the bad guys in her western VR program. *I must have fallen asleep,* she thought, looking around.

Guiltily she put her gear back into her pocket. Her Dad would be made if he knew she had fallen asleep with it on. He was always telling her that was dangerous.

She heard the whistling again. Crawling to her knees she peeked around the tree trunk she'd been lying against.

She froze, staring in disbelief at the man standing on the other side of the tree.

"Report Eve," he said. He was wearing VR gear, she noted. It blocked his eyes, but she still recognized the figure she had seen only once before -- in VR. Reilly!

But this isn't possible, thought True. Reilly was a computer program, not a real person.

Then what was he doing here?
She paused, hesitating with her gear. She wanted to know what EVE looked like in VR, but she had been noticed the last time she'd tried that with Julia and Reilly.

Memories of her narrow escape in her mind, she elected to stay calm and just listen.

"Very good, Reilly out." The man removed his gear. Then, whistling once more, he moved off through the trees.

True debated following, but decided she had better get her Dad first.


"But I saw him! He was standing there, talking in VR!" protested True. "True..." Danziger frowned. He didn't wanted to believe she was lying. True didn't make up stories like this. But if she'd been playing in VR, maybe Reilly/Eve had broken in on the signal.

"Were you in VR True?" asked Devon, getting the same idea. "No, I told you. He was!" she complained. "I had been, but I fell asleep When I woke up, he was there!"

"You fell asleep in VR?" Devon said, eyes widening in alarm. "How many times have I told you not to play in VR when you're tired?" demanded Danziger. "Do you know how dangerous that is?"

"But I didn't! It was off!"
"Give me your VR," ordered her Dad. True handed it over. "Now you listen to me, True-girl, I'm going to check this out. But until we find out one way or the other, No VR."

"But Dad!"
Her Father gave her one of his "Don't argue with me" looks and she subsided. "What's going on?" asked Uly, joining them. "Uly, for the time being, no VR." said Devon, turning to her son. "It could be Eve, and I don't want you having any contact with that computer."

"But it wasn't in VR. I saw Reilly!" shouted True. Devon looked toward the med-tent, then crouched down in front of True. " I know you think you did, True. But you could have fallen asleep and Eve made you think you did. Either way, I don't want you telling people, especially Julia, about this, all right? Not until we know for sure, OK?"

True sighed, they just didn't get it! "That's right True," said Danziger. She nodded. "Why don't you and Uly go sort the toolbox, Morgan knocked it over earlier."

Sighing True led Uly away.
Danziger waited until True was out of earshot. "I don't know what she saw, but I'll take a look around to make sure."


"No signs of rejection," said Daniel, nodding. He put the hypo-spray away, letting the back of Julia's shirt fall. Splicing it with her own DNA and re-injecting the new strand back into her system would ensure there was no rejection of the altered DNA by her system. The only negative aspect was the slow pace this process involved. He expected it would take some time, perhaps as much as a few weeks, for the strand to become dominate in her system.

His main concern now was to make sure there was enough of her DNA left to complete the experiment. There had been no time to draw any more spinal samples and with the first injection there was no way to get an untainted sample.

Daniel sighed. Working with Reilly was a problem. The man's impatience could well endanger the experiment.

Daniel rose, if things came to a head, Reilly would have to be removed, nothing must endanger his experiment. Success here was paramount, he was creating an entirely new species. Nothing must interfere.

"How do you feel?" he asked Julia. He checked his chronometer, he was past the time he had scheduled for the first dose. All because of Alonzo. The pilot had surprised Julia by joining her in the mineral pool. Daniel had not been able to approach until after he had gone, thankfully summoned by Danziger to help with vehicle repairs.

"Fine," she said. She took a deep breath, risking quickly. "Return to camp, say nothing of our experiment," he instructed, pressing on his caduceus to send the release signal. Julia left.

"Now to secure my passage west," muttered Daniel. A quick conversation with Devon Adair should see to it that he was invited along for the journey.

He began heading toward Eden Project's camp. "Mr. Danziger...." Daniel stopped, nearly running into the larger man on the small path. He took note of the armed magpro. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Danziger hedged. He wasn't sure if he trusted Matlind or not, but he didn't want to arouse suspicions on the convict's part. "True thought she saw someone."

"A penal colonist?" Daniel guessed. The story of his working with penal colonists had been true, though none still survived. "What did he look like? Perhaps I know him."

"Early 40s, dark hair, moustache, dark clothes..." Danziger quickly described Reilly, wondering if Daniel would recognize him.

Daniel shook his head. "No one I know, but I will keep an eye out." Danziger nodded, felling suddenly foolish. "True did fall asleep playing in VR," he admitted. "She might have imagined it."

"She's aware of the danger---"
"She knows," replied Danziger. "I haven't found any sign of anyone, she must have imagined it." He disarmed the magpro and headed back to camp.

Daniel excused himself and headed directly back to his cabin. Without slowing he headed to the underground lab. "You were seen!"

"By who? Where?" asked Reilly, looking up from a datapad. "By True Danziger," snapped Daniel. "Don't worry. She had been playing in VR and they think she saw your computerized version."

"Doctor Matlind, really," Reilly sighed, shaking his head. "You're blowing things completely out of proportion."

"You've been in cold sleep too long," said Daniel, disgusted as he packed his supplies.

"No more than you," replied Reilly. "Really, you're more difficult than Bennett."

"You knew Bennett?" Daniel stopped. He should have considered that, wondering just how long Reilly had been on G889.

"Oh, we never met, at least not in person. But we talked via radio transmission before I arrived here."

"When did you arrive?"
"Why all the questions?" asked Reilly. "All right. I arrived 10 years after Bennnet's abortive attemp at escape. Without a working base, I returned to cold sleep to await further instructions.

"Periodically Eve would wake me, until you arrived," he smiled. "When we got word of Eden Project's approach Eve woke me again. A pity Heller had to betray us, but she'll learn the error of her ways."

Daniel frowned. Perhaps prolonged exposure to cold sleep had driven the man insane. "Don't you ever think about going back?"

"I knew when I accepted this assignment it was a one-way journey," said Reilly. "Why should I want to go back? This is a brave new world. The best hope for our people's survival. My success here will ensure my place in history. And yours too, of course."

"Then why bother with the charade?" asked Daniel. "Why can't I simply eliminate Eden Project and take Heller and the boy?"

"No," Reilly shook his head. "They must continue. Think of them as more subjects in the viability study. Adair must be there to greet the Colony Ship, the Council wants her there. But she must not have control of this planet."

"All right, but you must stay out of sight. They're convinced the girl saw you in VR. But it is making things more difficult for me," said Daniel.

"Now Doctor, think of your previous successes," replied Reilly. "And once you have succeeded with Heller, perhaps you can finally begin other experiments you've put off."

Daniel frowned. His experiments were sealed in private gear logs, Reilly must have broken into them. He said nothing, closing his bag. "Eve can monitor my gear transmissions. I won't risk reporting back directly as Heller did."

"Of course. We shall be waiting," Reilly nodded.


"You want to what?"" said Danziger, staring at Devon. He was not the only one. *Will she ever learn?*

"Come on, Devon, we just met the guy," said Baines. "He's a penal colonist." "Hardly a dangerous one," said Devon. She recalled her conversation with Daniel. He had seemed so lonely out here by himself, besides they could always use more medical help. "Yale, have you found out anything more on him?"

Yale shook his head. "I have had difficulty in tracing his records. From the type of work he has claimed to have done, I may not find them. They were either sealed or destroyed long ago."

"You want him to go with us? My god, he's admitted to working for the Council!" shouted Morgan, turning to look about the group. "That's just what we need, another Council connection." Morgan sputtered as he turned and caught Alonzo's angry gaze. "Why invite him?"

"He probably will just say he wants to stay here," Devon sighed. "It seems the right thing to do. This planet is humanity's second chance, why not offer one to Daniel?"

"I agree," said Julia, joining them. "We could use another doctor, justin case."

"Like when you were sick...." began Bess, then stopped, remembering how close Julia had been to dying. "But Yale--"

"Julia is right," said Yale. "My medical databases are adequate, but a practicing physician is preferable."

"So, we vote. Do we invite Daniel to join us?" asked Devon. "A show of hands?"

Several hands went up. Julia, Devon, Bess, Yale, Uly and True, followed by several others. Morgan finally raised his, Alonzo didn't. Danziger opted not to vote.

Moving quickly, Devon nodded. "Okay, we invite him."


"Why are you so hot on Daniel joining us?" demanded Alonzo, watching Julia pack up her medical equipment. She was working quickly, even for her, he noted.

"With another doctor the work can be spread more evenly," she said, rising and moving to fill another container. "I would have more spare time. Could you hand me that?"

Alonzo handed the sensor over. "More spare time..." he said, moving to wrap both arms around her waist. Julia closed the now-full case. She leaned back against his chest.

"Yes," she purred, turning her head, one hand snaking up to trace the back of his head, tangling in his hair. He leaned down and kissed her neck.

She turned in his embrace, they kissed deeply. "So you won't have to spend so much time in here...we can set up, our own tent," he teased between kisses.

"We would have to share equipment," she said, considering the situation, her mind suddenly elsewhere. Alonzo released her, surprised by her change in mood. She smiled at him and he again wrapped his arms around her.

"You guys ready?" asked Danziger, entering. "All set," said Julia, leaning against Alonzo who scowled at Danziger's interruption. He definitely liked the idea of Julia having more spare time, but for some reason he was not happy with Daniel coming along.

"Just so long as he only shares the equipment," he muttered, releasing Julia as she turned to indicate which of the equipment was to be loaded first.

Danziger grinned at the remark. Julia appeared confused by it, shrugging she gestured toward a monitor. "That first."


Comments to: DWILSON163@AOL.COM


Link, Part Five
by Debra Wilson

Alonzo was scowling again. Bess sighed, watching him from where she was inventorying food supplies. It was the third time in 15 minutes he had scowled. He scowled every time he glanced over to where Daniel was working with Julia.

He feels left out, she told herself. He's just a little jealous, but she wasn't sure if that was it or not. Julia had become engrossed in the research Daniel had provided her. Having another doctor around eased the medical and food analysis workload off her shoulders.

But it also gave her someone other than Yale with which she could share her scientific discoveries. Alonzo paid attention to them, more out of politeness than any real interest, while Daniel was not interested but understood them.

It's almost as if Alonzo has ceased to exist for her, thought Bess. She frowned at this, granted Alonzo and Julia had been thrown together because of his injuries sustained in their crash landing, but it had also made them see each other beyond the facades they presented to the world. A romance had blossomed as a result, now Bess wondered if it were tapering off.

She dismissed the idea. If that were the case, Alonzo wouldn't be so jealous. Not that he'd admit to being jealous, Bess smiled, *this is probably the first time Alonzo has ever been jealous.*

Daniel had only been with the group for two days. Once he was up to speed Julia's interest in his projects would taper off and she would again be spending her spare time with Alonzo, Bess was sure of it.

Across the compound Devon was watching Alonzo watch Daniel and Julia as well. She knew that half the camp was surreptitiously doing the same, their own private drama, as it were. She noted that, for once, Julia was oblivious to the scrutiny, completely immersed in her work. On the other hand, Daniel seemed not only aware of it, but enjoying it. So far Alonzo had been polite to Daniel, but he was also jealous of the attention Julia paid Daniel.

Maybe it had been a mistake to invite Daniel to join them, Devon mused. She wondered how long it would be before Alonzo lost his temper. He was not used to Julia ignoring him.

"Wondered when they'd happened," muttered Magus. "Who?" asked Walman, pouring some water from the condenser. "The docs," sighed Magus.
"Oh come on, them?" snorted Mazatl.
"What about Alonzo?" asked Denner.
"Like he's just gonna sit around when the colony ship gets here while she goes to work in the hospital?" said Magus. "He's not exactly the patient kind of guy."

"He'd wait for her," said Cameron.
"If they'll let her work," said Baines. "Hey, she *did* work for the Council, like they're going to be so understanding?"

"We weren't," admitted Walman, remembering. "All this talk about nothing isn't getting the vehicles serviced, is it?" asked Danziger, coming up behind the group. "Or packed up."

Everyone jumped. They began to scatter, reloading the Transrover or going back to assigned tasks.

"Gossiping is common in a group this size," reminded Yale, standing beside Danziger.

"Yeah, and you know how I feel about that," said Danziger. "We have too much work to do without wasting time on nonsense."

Yale nodded, but wisely kept his thoughts to himself. "We should send someone to scout ahead," he said, as they joined Devon.

"I agree," said Devon. Danziger nodded his agreement moving away to check the underside of the Transrover.

"Alonzo," said Yale, hailing the distracted pilot. "Yeah?" he asked, forcing a quick smile. Devon and Yale exchanged quick glances.

"Could you do a quick scout for tomorrow's route?" asked Devon. "Sure, got nothing better to do," he rose, pulling on his leather jacket "I'll take the ATV."
"Why don't you take someone with you?" suggested Devon. Yale raised an eyebrow, not very subtle, he mused, surprised how Devon was suddenly acting like Bess.

"Yeah, someone to check for more edibles," suggested Bess, having wandered over to them. "We could always use the extra food."

"I'll see if Julia wants to go," grinning now, Alonzo headed toward the two doctors.

Bess exchanged smiles with Devon. Yale kept his expression neutral as he watched Alonzo's conversation with Julia.

"Julia?"
"Yes, Alonzo?" She looked up from her microscope. He smiled at her, he could never stay mad at her. "Devon wants us to do a scout."

She frowned, hesitating. "Now?"
"Yeah," he grinned. Some private time alone is just what they needed, he thought. She was working much too hard.

"Can't you handle it yourself?"
For a moment Alonzo just stared at her. "Ah...Devon wants someone to check for edibles."

"Surely Yale can handle that," Julia adjusted the microscope, then typed something on her datapad. "I'm in the middle of this experiment and I can't leave it."

"Can't Daniel handle it?" he couldn't help the sarcasm. "He has his own work, Alonzo," she replied, her voice distant. "Nevermind. I'll bring back some samples, you can test them later." Scowling he headed toward the ATV.

"Oh dear," murmured Bess, watching Alonzo stalked toward the ATV. Devon winced, frowning. *What is going on?*

"Ouch," said Baines, leaning down to straighten a stack of firewood. "That's didn't go well," agreed Cameron, putting more wood on the pile. "Wonder how much longer before he pops the guy," said Walman. "Not much longer," said Magus, joining them. "Thing that gets me is Julia," said Baines. "She's acting like nothings' goin' on."

"She's aware of it," Magus shook her head. "Maybe she just doesn't know how to handle it."

"Still, it's not like her to refuse time to be alone with Alonzo," Cameron frowned.

"Yeah, we'd all kill for some privacy around here," laughed Denner. "So, when?" asked Walman.
"When what?"
"When will Alonzo pop him?"
The others considered it. "What are we betting?" asked Mazatl, carrying over some fresh fruit picked nearby.

"Loading and packing tents," said Magus. "For a week's traveling time." "Who's gonna keep the days?"
"Zero, his databanks aren't being used for anything else," suggested Baines. "What if they don't fight?" asked Cameron. "Before we reach New Pacifica" "Don't worry, I don't think that's going to be a problem," replied Magus She turned to see Alonzo gunning the ATV away from camp.

The camp was quiet, everyone had turned in early, planning on an early start in the morning. Daniel smiled as he reached for his gear, he had waited until he was sure everyone was asleep before he slipped from tent.

He needed privacy to record his data and could not risk being overheard while in his tent. He knew what they had done when they discovered Heller's activities, he had no wish to find what they would do to him.

Once he was clear of camp, he paused and switched on his gear. "Link experiment: Stage One complete. Neuro-control chip has been accepted into subject's body. Will add final stage once Stage Two has been completed.

"First injection of DNA is proving successful. Subject B has shown no sign of rejection. Will inject second dose within the next 24 hours.

Second dose will include enhancers to aid in DNA alteration already underway."

Daniel switched off his gear, turning he returned to camp. He smiled as he headed back toward his tent. He needed his rest as well, he had a very busy day ahead of him as well.


Comments to: DWILSON163@AOL.COM


Link, Part Six
by Debra Wilson

Voice of Devon:

"Summer is well underway as we continue our journey toward New Pacifica. We continue this expedition with the addition of a new member. Dr. Daniel Matlind, exiled here by the council some 10 years previous. Daniel seems to enjoy traveling with us, and for the most part has been accepted by every one here.

"Having another doctor has evened some of the load off Julia's shoulder, unfortunately adding a new person into the group has not been without some problems. Daniel has to get used to us and we to him.

"After all, this new world is humanity's second chance, it is only fitting we offer that same chance to Daniel.

"I am confident that given time, we will come to accept Daniel as we have come to accept each other. But for some, it may take longer."

The group broke camp early the next morning and caught up with Alonzo at the next campsite. They were clearing the forest, flat plains greeted them, making travel somewhat easier for the group.

The night's camp was quickly set up. Daniel and Julia examined the samples Alonzo had gathered. Several were deemed edible and groups were sent to gather more.

Daniel finished with his samples early, he retired to his tent to tend to some private projects. Alonzo turned in early, not bothering with the nightly fireside gathering. He had watched Daniel exit the med-tent, but did not approach it himself, still stung by Julia's cold shoulder.

Alonzo quickly undressed and laid down, trying to make himself fall asleep. "Alonzo?" Julia's whisper was so soft Alonzo almost didn't hear her. "Julia?" he muttered, still half-asleep. Sitting up he reached to turn the lantern back up.

"Don't turn on the light," she whispered, dropping to her knees in front of his cot.

"What's wrong?" he rubbed sleep from his eyes, he could barely make her out in the limited light still cast by the lantern.

"Nothing...everything!" Her hands were shaking, Alonzo caught them, gripping them tightly. He sat up, swinging his legs off the cot.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to push you away," she began. Alonzo smiled, placing one hand on the side of her head. She pressed her head against it, closing her eyes.

"It's just been so long since I've talked with someone from my background.." she murmured.

"Shhhh..." he leaned forward, kissing her gently. "I'm sorry, too." Julia sighed, wrapping both arms around his neck, deepening the kiss as she tugged him forward.

Alonzo lost his balance and they fell to the floor. Julia laughed as they both caught their breath. Alonzo braced his arms, half lifting himself off her.

Julia smiled up at him, he kissed her again. "This is nice," she whispered against his lips as her hands massaged his bare back.

"Very nice," he muttered, capturing her lips with his own, thoughts of getting off the floor forgotten.


"Anybody seen Alonzo?" asked Walman. "I don't think he's up yet," said Bess from where she was checking break fast supplies.

Walman scowled, "It's his turn for watch." He headed toward the pilot's tent.

Alonzo stirred, for a moment forgetting the reason he was sleeping on the floor instead of on his cot. He remembered as he felt the comforting weight of Julia, again using his chest as her pillow.

He smiled, shifting position slightly to tug the blanket free so he could move, somehow it had gotten all tangled up with them. They had never made it back to the cot, but that was all right, he mused, settling back to watch Julia sleep.

"Hey Solace!" he heard Walman calling as he approached. "Rise and shine, old buddy--" Walman frowned, standing in the doorway. The cot was empty.

"Solace?" Movement at his feet caught his eye. Alonzo yanked the blanket up and over both himself and Julia, completely covering her.

"Sorry," said Walman, embarrassed and surprised. "I'll be there in a few minutes," sighed Alonzo, Walman nodded and hurriedly backed out.

Alonzo's movements had woken Julia. She blinked, pushing the blanket away from her head. "Morning," whispered Alonzo, reaching down to trace the side of her face.

She smiled, blinking away her confusion. "I hate to say good morning and run, but I've got day watch," he said. "That's all right, I have work to do," Julia said, drawing the blanket with her as she turned to gather her scattered clothing. Alonzo nodded, reaching for his clothes from the edge of a nearby chest where he'd left them.

Julia sat on his cot after he was gone, dazed. She slowly dressed, struggling to remember why the night before was so hazy.

She looked for her hair clip, finding it tossed in a corner. Pinning her hair back she left Alonzo's tent.

"Looks like the bet's off," said Walman, joining Cameron and Magus for breakfast.

"Why?" asked Magus.
"See for yourself," he pointed, Julia was just exiting Alonzo's tent. "It's still on," said Magus, watching Julia head straight for the Med-tent and Daniel.

"Fine with me," said Cameron.

Daniel moved forward, watching Julia work at the med-table. He was fuming, the chip she had given him with Ulysses Adair's medical history was worthless. Eve had reported all data lost when she had tried to break the access codes.

A security feature he had not expected from the young doctor. He cursed his own foolishness, even with the neuro-chip, she was resisting orders. She was not about to turn over information so easily.

That was all right, only a copy had been lost. He would simply retrieve the original information, this time with the access code.

She had no choice but to obey him. She was no more than a Yale now, even if she did not know it. Daniel congratulated himself on the chip's implantation. Even with the lab it had been a risk, the chip was a prototype, designed to work best with a person's DNA inserted inside. Unfortunately circumstances had prevented him from doing so.

"Julia?" True charged into the med-tent, Uly on her heels. Her arm was bleeding.

Julia turned quickly. She scanned the shallow cut with her diaglove. "It's all right True, it's not very deep." She reached back for a bandage. Daniel stepped forward, smiling.

"Here, let me help." he said. True stiffened, she didn't like him. Something about him just didn't click. Sensing True's unease, Daniel backed away from her, letting Julia bandage the wound.

Uly stood back watching them.
When they were done, Daniel turned his attention to the boy. "Well, Ulysses, what can we do for you?"

"Don't you have lessons, Uly?" asked Julia, interrupting them. True grabbed Uly's arm. "Nothing," she told Daniel, tugging Uly from the tent.

As soon as they were gone, Daniel whirled on Julia. "I've had enough of your insubordination," he snapped, he pressed on his caduceus pin. The high-pitched tone activated the command mode in the neuro-control chip.

Julia's face drew slack and she stiffened. "From now on you will treat me as your best friend. Also, sever your relationship with Alonzo, no more nightly visits! Acknowledge command."

"Acknowledged," she whispered.

"Where have you been?" demanded Daniel. "Describe your activities for the past eight hours."

"Unknown," she replied. "Hazy.." he could see her struggling to resist. "With Alonzo.."

"Cancel. What's the first clear memory you have?" "Waking up on the floor of Alonzo's tent." "With Alonzo, no doubt," muttered Daniel. "Yes."
Daniel fumed, Subject B's ties to the grounded pilot were stronger than he had conceived Somehow she had subverted his commands to distance herself from the pilot. Daniel had hoped the sudden cooling of her relationship with the pilot, combined with Alonzo's jealousy would lead to the relationship's termination. He thought it had been working, at least until this morning when he had watched her exit the pilot's tent.

Perhaps her resistance was a side effect of his experiment? She had acted bizarrely during her own earlier experiment. The Terrian DNA was bound to affect her in ways other than expected, Daniel knew. She had not mentioned his experiment or his Council ties, so at least some commands were holding. But how and why? Daniel knew to conclude his experiment he had better find out, and quickly.

"Describe side effects caused by Uly's DNA in your system." "Short-term memory loss, extreme mood swings," she replied. "Any others?"
"I experienced sharper sensory perceptions. The Terrians also seemed to be aware of what I was attempting."

"How?"
"Unknown, there was an attempted contact," she said, then presided to describe the incident.

Daniel took a reading with his diaglove. He detected no physical side-effects, but he believed the DNA transfer was holding. Daniel pondered his timetable, deciding to move up the second dose, the enhancers would make the DNA assimilation take place at an accelerated rate. The faster the experiment was successfully concluded the sooner he could remove his subject from the group.

From the way things were appearing, it would take less than the weeks he had anticipated. Perhaps there would even be time enough to lay the ground work for his other experiments.

"Remove your shirt," he said. "Lie down." Daniel readied the second dose, he injected it into her spinal column. She showed no reaction. "Get dressed, return to your duties."

Julia did as instructed. Daniel pressed his pin, the neuro-chip released its mental hold on her.

In a few hours there should be a marked improvement in DNA absorption, he thought. The enhancers would work to help the new strain of DNA to overcome her own, give it the upper hand as it were.

Depending on her biochemistry and inherent resistance to the alteration, the link should be completed with the third injection.

Then he could withdraw a new sample from his subject, securing his control over it via an updated neuro-chip.

Daniel wished Julia had not had time to use some of the precious spinal fluid he had drawn in her own test. He should have known better and drawn more, but that would have made her suspicious. At least she had never taken the Terrian DNA back with her.

He pondered the range of side effects -- would the chip continued to control her? He could not perform a mindwash while they were still a part of the group and they could not leave it before completing the experiment.

He would take a new set of readings this afternoon, he decided. There was still a risk the DNA would also be rejected and his subject would terminate.

Daniel was not as concerned as Reilly about this. A worst case scenario with Subject B terminating still left them with Subject A. Mindwiping and a control chip implantation would render the boy usable -- the rest of the others would simply be removed. He could even try again, using a younger subject, the girl, he thought, or perhaps the pilot.

Daniel moved to check a culture he was developing. Add this to the water supply and Eden Project won't be a problem any more. Though it would be a loss, considering his plans for them once Council reinforcements arrived.

"Yale, are you all right?" asked Devon. "I am fine, Devon," Yale said, rubbing his ear. "I thought I heard something...."

"What? I didn't hear anything."
"I am not sure...." Yale frowned.
Devon frowned, but left her old tutor to himself. He would tell her if it was serious and if not she would make sure Julia checked him out tonight.

Yale shrugged off the feeling, it had been a very high-pitched note, sounded twice a few minutes apart. He resumed scanning his database of station records for any mention of Dr. Daniel Matlind.


And and all comments to: DWILSON163@AOL.COM


Link, Part 7
by Debra Wilson

"What's with him?" Morgan hissed to his wife, watching a whistling Alonzo hand over watch duty to Magus.

"He's just happy, Morgan," smiled Bess. She watched the pilot head toward the med-tent. "They deserve some happiness -- as much as we do," she snuggled closer to her husband.

Alonzo paused at the open tent flap. It was nearly dinner-time, late enough to get Julia to break for the day. He paused, watching her record some data to gear.

She leaned forward to study something in the microscope. Alonzo's eye was caught by the Terrian finger bone in a jar to her right on the table. It was gently tapping against its glass container.

He started, then looked around for Uly. The boy was across the compound. Strange, it only does that around Uly, he thought. Perhaps there were other Terrians nearby?

Alonzo admitted to himself the sight of the old bone moving by itself unnerved him.

Julia terminated her recording, removing her gear. Alonzo smiled, moving closer, his smile became a frown as he got a closer look at her. She was paler than normal and there were dark circles under her eyes that had not been there this morning.

"Julia?"
"Alonzo," he had not startled her, but her cool response threw him. Ignoring sudden warning bells he approached her, moving to wrap his arms around her.

"Alonzo," she tried to squirm free, but seemed to lack the strength. "Alonzo, I have work to do," Julia tried to turn back to various petrie dishes on the work table.

"Take a short break for dinner....and dessert," he teased, lowering his head to nibble on her neck.

"I'm not hungry," her attention again focused on her work as she squirmed away from his touch.

It was a dismissal, Alonzo was beginning to get irritated. "Julia..." "Alonzo, I don't have time for this!" she snapped, pushing his hands from her waist. "I'm not here for your personal pleasure. I'm a doctor. I have more important things to do than stroke your flyboy ego."

Anger won out over surprise. "Fine, *Doctor* Heller." Alonzo stalked from the tent, his good mood forgotten.

Their raised voices had caught the attention of some of the others, already gathered for dinner.

"They're at it again," observed Magus. "Can't make up their minds, can they?" said Walman, recalling the morning.

"John, have you seen Alonzo?" asked Yale. Danziger nodded his head in the direction of the med-tent. They could see Alonzo standing nearby, casting angry glances in its direction. Daniel entered the med-tent. Alonzo turned and headed in the opposite direction. "I need to speak to you." Both men moved away from the rest of the group at the campfire. "Alonzo should hear this as well."

"I think we'd better let Solace be for now," said Danziger "Yale, what's the matter?" asked Devon, trailing after him. "I have been researching station records for anything on Daniel. I do not believe the crimes he was charged were arranged, as he claimed. I also found other records."

"What?" asked Danziger.
"Daniel's father was a primary researcher on the original Yale Project," said Yale. "He helped to develop the neuro-motivational chips." Devon blanched while Danziger frowned.

"What else?" asked Devon, wondering if it could get any worse. Daniel had said he worked on a new Yale project, he had made no mention of his father's work on the original project.

"Yes, apparently Daniel took over his father's work, developing specialized neuro-chip," Yale continued.

"How do you know?" asked Danziger.
"Dr. Matlind was originally arrested after one of his test subjects went berserk, killing several people before taking his own life," said Yale." The charges were dismissed, the man's actions were blamed on a mental condition. However, an investigation led to Matlind's medical license being revoked for unethical conduct. It seems he did not always ask his subjects' approval before experimenting on them. Some of his patients did not recover..."

"And?" demanded Devon, frowning.
"After he disappeared, so did some of his subjects. Apparently he continued his research, but not in the public light," said Yale.

Danziger cursed. "Basically, he continued his work for the Council," he tossed down the rag he was wiping his hands with.

"It appears so, which means his being here is not so coincidental at all. He may very well be in contact with Eve," finished Yale.

"You think he's the one who was contacting Eve?" asked Devon. Danziger shrugged, True was certain it was Reilly she had seen in the woods, but that was impossible. Wasn't it? He had found no evidence of anyone after he searched the area thoroughly. "Do you think he was waiting for us?" he asked, wondering if True had seen Daniel in contact with Reilly/Eve.

"I do not know, it is a possibility," said Yale. "Remember the older ships, such as the Venus Class Bennett's party used, took longer to travel here. It could well be that Daniel arrived here as he claimed, 10 years ago."

"He's got Terrian DNA, Alonzo mentioned it," Danziger said. "Why didn't you say anything?" demanded Devon, starring at Danziger. He shrugged.

"Alonzo wasn't concerned by it, why should I be?" "So True could have seen Reilly in VR, maybe talking to Daniel?" wondered Devon.

"If this were the case, he will have a communications device, much like Julia had," Yale frowned. "Perhaps True saw more than a VR image."

"Come on, we know Reilly's a computer-generated image!" said Danziger. "It could have been based on the real person, who could very well be here," concluded Yale. "It bares investigation, back at Daniel's cabin."

"That's several days travel time," said Danziger. He frowned, refiguring the time, this time without the entire group. "Or overnight with the rail or ATV alone."

"Julia's been acting strange," said Devon, remembering the last time Julia had displayed altered behavior. "You don't think...." she let her voice trail off. Julia could not be working for the Council, not anymore.

"Why would she cooperate with the Council?" said Danziger, not wanting to believe it, but knowing it was possible Julia had turned on them again. It was a risk they could not afford to ignore.

They were silent on this. "We have to talk to her," said Devon. "There may be another explanation."

The three of them headed toward the med-tent.

"Julia, can we talk to you?" asked Devon. "Certainly, Devon," she indicated Daniel. He nodded at the trio, starting to leave.

"And you too, Matlind," said Danziger, holding up a hand. "Yes?"
"Daniel, the work you did, back on the stations..." began Devon. "I'm not proud of it, Devon. But when the Council gives you orders, you really don't have much choice," he began.

"What about the reason you lost your medical license." "You lost your license?" said Julia. "It was suspended, after I first complained about the work they wanted me to do. They made sure I had no choice but to continue," said Daniel, shaking his head. "Set me up with some bogus charges. Alleged I experimented on my patients without their knowledge, there was no way I could prove my innocence. Medicine is my life, I had no choice but to do as they ordered"

"You could have walked away."
"You don't know the Council," he sighed. "He's right, Danziger," said Julia, looking up at him. "When the Council has hold of you, there is no choice."

"You made a choice," said Yale.
"Here I had a choice. If it had happened on the stations, I don't know what I might have done," she replied.

Devon frowned, exchanging glances with Danziger. "Please, I don't want to cause trouble. If you want, I'll go back to my cabin."

"No," protested Julia, surprising Devon with her vehemence. "Devon, you gave me a second chance, it's only fair to offer the same to Daniel."

"All right," conceded Devon. "But no more secrets." "Agreed," said Daniel, breathing a sigh of relief. The trio left the med-tent.

"You buy that?" asked Danziger.
Devon frowned. "I don't want to make the same mistake twice," she said. "Yale, please keep checking your databases, we'll have to watch him. If he is working for the council he'll need to make contact sometime."

"That might be too late," said Danziger. "Especially if Reilly is real and somewhere here."

"And if he's innocent?" asked Devon, meeting his gaze. Danziger frowned, remembering when they had found out about Julia and then left her. Despite the fact she had been a spy, she had also been one of them and it had nearly torn the group apart. Better to be sure, there was still a chance Daniel was not working for the Council, though personally Danziger doubted it.

"I'll arrange the watches," said Danziger, turning away.

"Very good, Doctor Heller," said Daniel, turning to her. "I thank you for your vote of confidence."

Julia said nothing, turning back to her work. She did not know why she had argued so strongly for Daniel to stay. A part of her wanted nothing more than to make him leave, but that part had stayed silent. *What is wrong with me?*

Daniel excused himself, intending to check on experiments he was running in his tent. Lost in thought, Julia did not hear him leave. She sat at the table, staring at her experiment.

"Julia?"
Surprised she jerked in place, turning to find Alonzo standing behind her. She couldn't meet his eyes.

"Hey," he reached out and gently turned her face toward his. "We have to talk."

She nodded, her eyes suddenly watery. He quickly gathered her into his arms. "Hey..." he whispered, kissing her hair. "It's all right."

She sighed, inhaling his scent, pressing her face against his chest. She felt safe and secure in his arms -- yet at the same time a voice inside was ordering her to pull away, to send Alonzo away. She ignored that voice, clinging to him.

"I don't know what's going on...." she began, pulling away slightly to look up at him. "I don't want to push you away...."

He smiled, brushing a hand across her hair. "You can't, I keep coming back," he whispered, earning a smile from her.

She reached up and kissed him. He deepened the kiss, reluctantly pulling away. "We have to talk," he reminded her.

"We will..." she whispered, catching his eyes with her own. He never could resist that look.

"Later..." he promised, pulling her over to her cot. "Much later..."


Comments to: DWILSON163@AOL.COM


Link, Part Eight
by Debra Wilson

Instead of going to his tent, Daniel began to head away from camp. It was time to update his journals. He stopped when he noticed Baines following him. Daniel abruptly changed direction and went inside his tent.

Obviously they were not going to be so trusting toward him as they claimed. He moved to his table, examining the bacteria he was growing. *I may just have to use this,* he thought. Eliminating the group offered its own advantages, he could then take both Subjects with him, providing the Terrians did not interfere. Reilly would be displeased, but Daniel was certain he would soon turn attention to the boy.

Eliminating the group would also mean he would have no more test subjects for future experiments, at least until the Colony Ship arrived.

Daniel turned his attention to a blood sample he had drawn from Julia. The DNA transfer was working faster than expected, of course with the enhancer it should.

Daniel frowned, still unhappy with the rate of the transfer. There were some unexpected side effects he now realized he should have expected. He was not yet ready to inject the third dose, but it seemed he must. He doubted circumstances would give him the time he needed otherwise.

Subject B was becoming more emotional instead of less, yet the Terrians were unemotional -- at least according to all Council data he had examined. Terrians were passive creatures, they thought as one, acted as one. Individual tribes might react differently, but that was the extent of any independence. So where was this coming from? Subject A had displayed no such reaction.

Daniel made a note in his file to examine the neuro chip closely at the first opportunity. The data indicated her altered condition could be affecting the chip in unforeseen ways. Or perhaps the chip was reacting in some way to the DNA, that could explain the subject's emotional responses

"Perhaps it would be better to remove Subject A from the main group as soon as possible," he said. "And begin Stage III."

Daniel switched off his gear, securing his electronic journals with his private codes. He quickly gathered his belongings, if he had to complete the experiment sooner, he had better be ready to leave immediately.

Once that was done, he lay down to rest.


"Hey sleepyhead," Alonzo kissed Julia's ear. She mumbled incoherently, rolling over. "Time to wake up."

"Go away," she mumbled, burying her head under the pillow. Alonzo smiled, giving up. He dressed quickly, then turned back to regard his sleeping lover. We never did get around to talking, he mused. Looking down at Julia he did not have the heart to wake her.

"So we'll talk later," he shrugged, exiting the tent.

Daniel frowned, watching from his tent as the pilot strolled over to the Transrover. Subject B should have ended her relationship with the grounded pilot by now. Somehow she was subverting his orders. Perhaps it was the Terrian DNA, either way, it was a correctable. Removing her memory would ensure his control, Daniel wished he could begin that process.

He wondered if he could risk eliminating the pilot instead. *A pity I don't have a second chip for him,* he mused. *Controlling the pilot's dreamplane ability would have been very useful.*

"Good morning, Bess," said Yale, looking up from where he was working on his cybernetic arm.

Bess was examining the contents of a pouch she had bartered from a Grendler. She smiled in greeting. "Morning! Yale, what do you make of this?"

Yale examined it. "Medical supplies, Julia will be pleased with those." "I'll show her," Bess rose, heading for the med-tent. "I do not believe she is up yet," said Yale. "That's all right, I have to talk to her anyway," Bess smiled cheerfully and headed for the med-tent.

Yale sighed, gossip more likely. As resident match-maker, Bess was curious as to what was happening with her starring match. Not that Julia would say, Yale knew from experience, Julia kept much to herself, perhaps too much.

Daniel edged round the camp, avoiding being seen. His watchers thought him still asleep in his tent. Time for the final dose, might as well do it while she was still asleep he decided, no need to worry about wearing out the neuro-chip just yet.

Slipping into the med-tent from the side, he moved to where Julia slept. She was half on her side, arms curled round a pillow. He eased the pillow away, making her lie flat on her stomach.

He pulled the blanket back as he removed the hypospray from his pocket. The nuzzle rested against her spine, he injected its contest, beginning to rise and move away.

"Julia---" Bess froze just inside the tent flap. She saw Daniel pocketing the hypospray.

Daniel froze, only for a moment. "I was just--" Awakened by their voices, Julia opened her eyes. Startled, she pulled the blanket up to her neck. "Daniel?" She saw Bess. "What is going on?"

"What did you give her?" demanded Bess, angry. All of Morgan's suspicious about the man rising in her mind.

"A vitamin supplement," replied Daniel, moving toward her. "Give who?" demanded Julia, groggily struggling with the blanket. "He injected something into your back," said Bess, backing away, alarmed by the venom in Daniel's eyes.

"You don't inject vitamins into the spine," said Julia, confused. "Look--" Bess backed away as Daniel moved toward her suddenly, his hand reaching for another hypospray on the table.

"Alonzo! Yale!" she yelled. "Morgan!" Yale heard his name and hurried over. A confused Alonzo climbed off the Transrover, when Bess yelled again he realized she was calling from the med-tent. He bolted toward it, Morgan on his heels. Danziger followed as well.

Julia stared at the sudden crowd of people in her tent.

"What's going on?" demanded Alonzo. He kneeled beside the cot. "Are you all right?"

"I'm fine," she replied. "What was in it?" Daniel frowned, he couldn't order her to do anything with an audience." Just a little vitamin mixture. I've found it works better injected into the spinal column."

"You've been injecting things into Julia, without her permission?" snarled Alonzo, suddenly grabbing the front of Daniel's shirt, jerking him forward.

*"His subjects were not always aware of what he was doing to them,"* Yale's words flashed across Danziger's mind as he caught Yale's eye.

Yale frowned, just what was in the hypospray? "There is one way to findout," he said, holding out his hand. Daniel hesitated, tightening his grip on it. While there wasn't much left in the spray, hopefully not enough to identify, it would definitely not show up as a vitamin supplement.

Stalling, he smiled and handed over the hypospray. "Certainly," he sounded offended. "I'll leave you to your work."

Watching Julia, Alonzo saw her taking in the number of people in the tent with her. She shifted, pulling the blanket tighter, trying to hide her discomfort and maintain her dignity.

"All right, folks. Show's over," Danziger also seemed to recognize Julia's embarrassment. He got everyone out of the tent except for Julia and Alonzo.

"Are you all right?"
"I'm fine," she insisted, reaching for her clothes. "I just want to know what is going on."

"So do I," he said, walking around the tent, waiting for her to finish dressing.

"What was in the hypospray?" he asked her. "It probably is a vitamin supplement," she said, not meeting his gaze." I have been feeling run down lately."

"Why would he inject it while you were asleep?" demanded Alonzo, frustrated that she still defended Daniel.

She was silent, then abruptly sat at the work table and began organizing it. "Julia...."

"I have work to do, sitting here and acting paranoid over nothing is not getting things done."

He studied her, she was obviously trying to dismiss him. Alonzo refused to leave, this was not like her. She had not acted like this since....

"Was it the Terrian DNA?"
Julia stiffened. "What?"
"You heard me...look at yourself, you're not acting like yourself--" "I'm fine!" shouted Julia, turning her back on Alonzo, again moving things on her work table.

"You're not fine! Look at yourself!" he shouted, trying to reach her. She was pale, sweating and definitely not herself. "You're behaving erratically. You're shaking! You've don't remember things--"

"That's enough," Julia brushed past him. Alonzo grabbed her arm, yanking her around to face him. "Alonzo!"

"You're not going anywhere until we settled this!" "Alonzo...Julia..." Devon stopped, Yale and Danziger on her heels. Alonzo released Julia, they backed away from each other, both of them were furious. "What's going on?" asked Danziger.

"Alonzo's behaving like a child," snapped Julia. "I have work to do," she started to leave.

"Julia--" Devon's voice stopped her. "We need to talk..about Daniel," "Now what, is this a conspiracy?" she snapped. Devon was startled by the depth of her anger.

"No, it's just...Yale," she turned to her old tutor. "I have research Daniel's background further. His father was a researcher for the original Yale Program, Julia. Furthermore, his test subjects often did not consent to his experiments."

"And?" Julia pushed her hair back from her face, rocking on her heels, unable to stay still.

"Your behavior's been like before, Doc." Danziger's voice was gentle, "When you injected Uly's DNA into yourself."

Julia froze, a shocked gaze meeting his. "You think Daniel's been injecting me with Terrian DNA?" She began to shake her head.

"But she'd notice...." began Alonzo, not wanting to believe it, nor mentioning his own suspicions.

"That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Why don't we just go and ask Daniel?" Julia started to leave. Danziger blocked her way.

"Doc.." She tried to go around him.
"Julia please," said Devon, moving to block her way. Julia stepped back, annoyed.

"There were no vitamins in the spray," said Yale. "I am not sure what he injected in you, to be safe we should test for the--"

"Stop it!" she shouted, moving to push past them. Danziger caught her, she began to struggle wildly, stopping abruptly, grabbing her head.

"Julia!" Alonzo caught her as she collapsed. "What's wrong with her?" She was shaking in his arms, her eyes rolled back in her head as she went into convulsions.

"Put her on the cot," said Yale, moving to examine her. He frowned, then reached for a hand scanner. Danziger pulled a frozen Alonzo out of the way.

The seizure stopped, Julia was semi-conscious. She kept trying to push the scanner away as Yale ran it over her. Devon held her hands down.

"I'm all right," she murmured. blinking. "Of course you are," said Devon, reassuring her. "Why don't you get some rest..." Julia was nearly unconscious, her movements slowing.

She and Yale moved away from the cot. "What's wrong with her?" said Alonzo, hands balled into fists, joining them, eyes on Julia.

"Let's ask Daniel..." Danziger turned to find several people standing near the tent's open flap.

"What's going on?" asked Bess, she hesitated, but Morgan pushed forward.

"Come on, it's obviously, isn't it?" shouted Morgan. "What's so obvious?" asked Walman. The rest of the group stood crowded outside the Med-tent as Devon, Alonzo and Yale worked to settled a now unconscious Julia. Yale quietly drew a blood sample from the doctor and began to examine it.

"Now Morgan..." began Bess, not liking what her husband was leading to, but unable to stop him in time.

"Come on, she's working with Daniel. It's obvious. She never changed, she's still working for the Council! We should never have taken her back." Morgan was in full rant. "I knew the minute I saw--"

"Working for someone who's drugging her without her knowledge?" said Cameron calmly, having overheard Yale's words.

"But she defended him!" protested Morgan. "Even after that!" "Can it Morgan," said Danziger, standing directly in front of the man. Morgan swallowed and stumbled back. "Anybody seen Daniel?"

The others shook their head. "I think he went to his tent," said Denner, as the group began to disband.

Danziger nodded, moving in that direction. "Hey, the ATV's gone!" shouted Baines. "I want a resonance scan of the area done," said Danziger. Cameron and Walman went to get the equipment. "Baines, let's check out Daniel's tent."

They began tossing the tent. Morgan and Bess followed. "The gear files are coded," said Baines, handing the set to Danziger.

"I can break them," offered Morgan.
"Do it," said Danziger, giving him the gear as Bess dumped the contents of a bag of clothes on the floor and began shaking them out one by one.

Danziger frowned as he bent over to examine a hand-scanner. This was bringing back unpleasant memories. They had done the same thing to Julia's belongings not that long ago.

He pushed the memory aside and began to dismantle the scanner.


Link, Part 9
by Debra Wilson

"Anything?" asked Devon, entering what had been Daniel's tent. She was disappointed the resonance scan had shown no sign of him.

Cameron shook his head, shaking out the pillow. Clothing was being minutely searched by Bess. Danziger, Baines and Walman were painstaking dismembering the medical equipment Daniel had stored in his tent.

All of Daniel's things were being examined, as they searched for communications equipment, or anything that tied him to the Council. They had to know if there was a Council force on the planet or if Daniel had been acting alone. They had been searching most of the day.

The medical equipment was taking longer. It could not be damaged, they needed it too much. Devon felt sick as she entered the tent, remembering the last time they had done this.

She wandered over to a pile of petrie dishes. "What's this stuff?" she asked, looking into the metal container they were in.

"Don't touch those," said Danziger. "Apparently Daniel was preparing a nasty surprise for us. Yale and I will dispose of them later." He reached over, shut and locked the container.

Morgan hurried into the tent. "I think I've got something. I broke his access codes," he said, waving Daniel's gear. "There's something I think you should see."

Devon and Danziger followed him back to the communication tent. They found Yale waiting for them.

"There is Terrian DNA in her system," said Yale, answering the unasked question. "The tests confirmed it."

"And she had no idea?" said Devon, struggling to understand. Yale shrugged, Julia had not said a word when he had shown her the test results.

"I think I know why," said Morgan, interrupting, stepping up to the array of communication equipment on the table.

"I loaded it here," he gestured to the screen, punching a button. They watch Daniel detailing his experiment. Devon was horrified. This went way beyond what Julia had tried before.

"Wait, there's more," said Morgan, speeding up the recording. They listened in shocked silence to Daniel explaining the neuro-control chip.

"My god," whispered Yale. "He has been controlling her all along." "A neuro-chip...." grimaced Danziger. "Thought you had to be mindwashed for it to work."

"Not necessarily," Yale shook his head. "From what Daniel described it works more as a control mechanism, capable of overriding a person's free will. But it appears it does not work completely..."

"Good thing," said Danziger.
"Can Daniel still control her, even though he's not here?" asked Devon. "I do not know, if he can access the control mechanism as he has been doing," replied Yale. "It is a possibility."

"Then we have to keep them apart," said Danziger.

"We have to get rid of that chip," said Morgan. "Come on, we can't risk leaving it in her, who knows what she could do?"

"You have any idea how to remove it?" asked Danziger, Morgan frowned.


Julia was slumped over her work table, having woken up and refusing to lie down again. She had looked at the spinal sample Yale had drawn. Her mind was reeling, the sample showed Terrian DNA spliced into her own.

Her earlier attempts to fuse Terrian and human DNA paled in comparison with Daniel's work. He was a genius, if she were not so horrified, Julia would have been very impressed.

"Hey, Doc?" Alonzo crouched down next to her chair. He smiled at her, she tried to smile back. "You're supposed to be resting."

He got her up and led her to the cot, making her lie down. He sat on the edge of her cot. She lay on her side, facing him. "Want to talk?" he asked, brushing hair from her face. Julia flopped on her back, staring at the tent ceiling. "I was a fool. You were right...they don't give up."

"Stop it, it's not your fault," ordered Alonzo. "You heard what Yale said, Daniel did things like this back on the station. He may not be working for the Council."

"Alonzo, it would take more sophisticated equipment then he brought from his cabin to splice the DNA," she insisted, sitting up. "He had to have a full lab...." She looked down at her hands.

He reached out, brushing an errant tear from her cheek. "I love you," she whispered softly, slowly coming up to meet his gaze.

Alonzo gathered her in his arms, rocking her, alarmed by the desperation and sadness in her eyes. "Shhh....It's all right."

"I'm sorry," she whispered in his ear, as her hand slipped into her jacket pocket.

"There's nothing to be---" his voice stopped as he felt the sediderm hiss at his throat. He slumped forward, trying unsuccessfully to fight the effects of the drug. She eased out from under him, laying him down on the cot. She let the sediderm fall to the ground.

Backing away, still feeling her tears fall, but unable to stop herself, Julia slipped out the rear of the tent.

"We should check on Julia, Daniel may have left a failsafe command," said Yale, frowning over Morgan's remark.

"Like what?" asked Danziger as they quickly headed for the med-tent. "Alonzo!" Devon gasped. Yale checked for a pulse. Danziger picked up the sediderm from the floor.

"Looks like there was a final order," Danziger muttered, scowling. Alonzo stirred, "Julia?"
"She's gone," said Devon, helping the groggy pilot to sit up. "Where would she have gone?"

Alonzo shook his head, shaking off the effects of the sedative. "What's going on? Where's Julia?"

"Easy there, flyboy," said Danziger. "We're trying to figure that out." "Alonzo, Daniel implanted a neuro-control chip in Julia. He's been controlling her," began Devon.

Alonzo sat down, trying to understand the information. "His cabin, he'd have gone there."

"But he must knew we'd figure that," protested Devon. "Unless he has reinforcements waiting for us," said Yale. Alonzo headed out of the tent. "We have to stop Julia from reaching him I'll go after her. She's on foot." He was out of the tent before anyone could protest.

"Wait!" Danziger caught him outside. "We'll take the dunerail, catch her faster." Alonzo chaffed at the delay, but knew he was right. They stood a better chance with the rail. If nothing else they could get ahead of Julia and cut her off.

"There is something else," said Yale, joining them. "What?"
"According to my tests, Julia's body is rejecting the foreign DNA, only this time it is killing her," he said. "If Daniel injects anymore..."

"Are you saying she's more Terrian than human," whispered Devon. "I do not know for certain," replied Yale. "Her body is not assimilating the DNA as easily as Uly's did. The side effects are beginning to appear. I do not believe she can survive further doses."

"Let's go," said Alonzo, turning to head for the dunerail. Danziger nodded at Devon as he followed.

"I will get the emergency medical kit," said Yale, heading back toward the med-tent.

"What about the Council?" demanded Morgan. Around him the remaining members of the Eden Project pondered similar questions. "If Daniel's working with them -- they could be on their way here right now!"

"Break camp and head out. We'll catch up with you if we can," ordered Danziger. "True, you stay with Devon, all right?"

"Yes sir," she whispered, hugging her father tightly. "I'm going with you--" began Devon.
"No way," he cut her off. "If the Council is involved, they get you, they get Uly."

Devon stopped, he was right. She would be a hostage for her own son. Plus the fact that the rest of the group was depending on her. "All right."

"Let's go!" shouted Alonzo, starting the Dunerail. Danziger and Yale hurriedly climbed in, both armed with magpros. Yale placed the emergency medical kit on the seat beside him.

"Good luck!" shouted Devon, as they left. "All right, people let's move!" shouted Devon. Everyone hurried to break camp.


Julia could not stop running. She moved blindly, responding to Daniel's implanted commands. Consciously she knew she was running from safety and her friends to her enemies, but she could not get her body to obey her.

Suddenly she stopped, the ATV was just in front of her, with Daniel on it. "Get on," he ordered. She climbed on behind him. Daniel gunned the vehicle forward.


"We should have found her by now," protested Alonzo, driving the dunerail and scanning the area for Julia at the same time.

"Head for the cabin," said Yale.

"Even with a full charge, it'll take all night to get there." said Danziger. "Without rest we risk shorting the rail."

"We don't stop," said Alonzo, angry. "We short the rail, we stop," reminded Danziger. "Wait, look..." They stopped suddenly. "Look...." Danziger climbed out, recognizing the tracks. "The ATV. Daniel must have been waiting for her."

"Let's go.." said Alonzo.
Despite Alonzo's protest, they were forced to rest the rail twice during the night. Both times for less than half-hour periods. Alonzo protested vehemently each time, but Danziger would not be overruled.


The ATV was starting to overheat, but Daniel didn't stop. He could not risk it, they had to reach the cabin before their pursuers reached them. Luckily for him it was designed for longer runs than the dunerail.

Toward dawn the cabin was in sight. Daniel stopped the ATV and climbed down. Working off stiff muscles he moved toward the cabin. "Come on," he ordered Julia.

She climbed from the back of the ATV, following slowly. Julia was fighting a silent battle within herself. She had no wish to go inside with him. Only now there was a third voice in her struggle...a voice compelling her to move away from Daniel, to find it.

Daniel opened the door and stepped inside. "Come inside," he turned and ordered.

Every nerve she had was screaming run, but Julia started to follow. Just as she reached the doorway two Terrians erupted from the earth five feet behind her.

She froze, feeling their presence. Daniel blanched, horrified at their unexpected appearance. Julia half-turned toward them as they trilled softly to her. To Daniel's surprise she trilled back in response.

"Come inside," Daniel pressed on the pin, activating the control chip." I order you."

Julia's body jerked, but took a step backwards toward him. One of the Terrians began to walk toward her. Daniel grabbed her arm and yanked hard, pulling her inside. He slammed the cabin door.

Julia cried out as her feet lost contact with the outside soil. She landed hard on her side on the wood floor, struggling to get up and get back outside.

Daniel yanked her up by the waist and thrust her into the elevator.


"I wasn't sure the chip was going to work or not," said Reilly, watching a monitor in front of him. The two Terrians had retreated back into the earth after Daniel had closed the cabin door.

"It will work better once her freewill has been removed," said Daniel, strapping Julia to the examination table.

He pulled on a diaglove and began to take readings. Julia could hear voices, but it was so strange. One of them was familiar Julia tried to force her eyes open, but it was so hard...

She was lying on a table, she felt the restraints holding her wrists at her side. She turned her head. There were two men in the room, one was Daniel She gasped, recognizing the other.

"She's awake, dammit!" muttered Daniel. "She's a tilt, genetically enhanced, we're still not sure just what her father added beyond his orders," said Reilly, walking over. Julia shrank back from his touch, unable to get away. He caressed her check, she jerked her head free. "Ah, you recognize me."

"Reilly...but you're not real..." she gasped, confused. Her head was burning, there were too many sensations. She recognized the reaction of Terrian DNA---but it was much more intense than before with Uly's DNA.

"Ah, But I am very real, my dear citizen. Eve created her program from the original," he smiled at her.

"What have you done?" She struggled to turn her head and look around. Where was she? The room was all metal, a laboratory, so much like her own back on the stations.

"You've been injected with Terrian DNA, like you suggested.. before your change of allegiance," he explained, pulling up a chair. "You must understand, you've left us no choice. You were quite correct, you are the perfect choice for a link with the planet."

"It didn't work, it was a toxic reaction...." She wished her head didn't throb so much.

"That was because you were using Ulysses' DNA, not the pure extract," said Daniel, moving to check her vitals. "I have pure DNA, I've been injecting it into your system."

"The reaction is still toxic...." insisted Julia. "I feel..." "Don't worry, you will recover citizen. You were created to be genetically adaptable, you will be our link to this planet. Don't you want to protect the boy?"

"I will never help you," she spat.
"But you already have. You've given us all your data on Ulysses and this planet." Reilly smiled. "We even know about Solace's ability to contact the Terrians on this so-called `dream plain.' You've been very helpful citizen."

Julia stared at him in horror. "You're lying! I've never helped you!" "But you have, Julia," said Daniel. "You remember the neuro-chip you found? I'm afraid we couldn't risk you switching sides again."

She stared at him, horrified. "Yes, Citizen Heller, you are once again a Patriot of the Council. You've given us, the Council, our method of controlling this planet. By your link with the Terrians and the chip's control of you...You've just given the Council G889," Reilly smiled as he moved away from her.

"Through you not only do we, and the Council, have complete control over the Terrians, but we can establish generational control of this planet," continued Reilly. "You and your children will do great things for the Council."

"Never..." Julia suddenly couldn't breath, she struggled against the restraints.

"What the---" Daniel was alarmed by her readings. "She's going into cardiac arrest."

Suddenly the readings returned to normal. "Heart rate is still high," he frowned.

Reilly turned and addressed the communications console. "Eve, are you monitoring this?"

"Yes, Citizen Reilly," Eve appeared on the main viewer. "Subject B's genetic substructure is being altered."

Reilly smiled. Behind him, Julia trilled. Daniel jerked in place, glancing at the steel walls. "Don't worry, they can't get in," he said. "We made sure of that 50 years ago."

"Subject B is weakening," reported Eve. "Her body is rejecting the alterations."

"Inject another dose," said Reilly.
"There isn't any of the strain I was using. There's only the pure Terrian DNA," said Daniel.

"Then use that!" ordered Reilly, moving to another door. "I'm going back to the ship, get her stabilized and ready to move out by the time I get back"


Reilly stepped out of the shed, moving to head into the forest to retrieve the shuttle. He paused, hearing the sound of something approaching. He hurried toward the shelter of the trees, once there he looked back.

"Place looks deserted," said Danziger, moving around the clearing. He shifted his grip on the armed magpro. They had parked the dunerail a ways from the cabin, so as not to alert Daniel to their presence.

"The ATV is here," said Yale.
"Let's look around out here," said Danziger. The two men moved off the check the shed. Alonzo headed inside the cabin.

"Julia?" he called. The room was empty. He turned and froze. The metal elevator doors stood in front of him. Pulling the pistol from its holster, he entered. The doors whooshed shut behind him.

The room it deposited him was very out of place compared to the rustic cabin. He saw Daniel standing over Julia with a hypospray.

"Get away from her!" Alonzo entered the room, aiming the pistol. Daniel backed away. "What have you done?"

"What she volunteered for, to be our link with the planet," said Daniel, eyes on the pistol.

Alonzo unstrapped Julia's wrists, hauling her up. She staggered against him. He was alarmed at her paleness and the high fever. Her eyes rolled back, then she blinked. He shoved her toward the elevator.

She fell against the door, it failed to open. Alonzo hesitated, knowing Daniel could jump him if he got distracted. The doors opened, Julia fell against Yale, who staggered back under the sudden weight. Danziger aimed a magpro at Daniel. Alonzo entered, holstered his pistol and picked up Julia. Danziger backed into the elevator and the doors closed.

They didn't hesitate in the cabin, moving outside quickly. Alonzo laid Julia on the ground, she was having trouble breathing. "Do something!" he begged Yale, who dug quickly through the emergency medical kit.

"Shank!" Danziger's exclamation started them both. They looked down, Julia was gone, the earth having swallowed her. "No!" cried Alonzo, digging frantically at the ground. "She is gone," said Yale, stopping him. Alonzo rose to his feet as a Terrian erupted from the earth. He listened to its soft trilling. Then it disappeared back into the earth.

Alonzo closed his eyes, taking a deep breath. "What'd he say?" asked Danziger.

"We have to rejoin the others," he said softly. "There's nothing else we can do here."

"What about Daniel?" asked Yale, as Alonzo walked slowly to the ATV. "The Mother will take care of him," Alonzo said, starting the ATV. The two men followed behind the ATV. Danziger wanted to go back into the cabin and personally deal with Daniel. He started to turn as a loud metal grinding noise caught his attention.

The earth shook, both men fell to their feet. Alonzo stopped the ATV and turned to look.

The cabin was sinking into the earth, being crushed as it went. "I don't think we have to worry about Daniel anymore," muttered Danziger, picking himself up. "You OK?"

Yale nodded, accepting the offered hand up. He brushed himself off. Alonzo stared at the cabin's remains, then restarted the ATV.

Danziger and Yale followed in the dunerail.


Comments to: DWILSON163@AOL.COM


Link, Part 10
By Debra Wilson

"I thought you were going to break camp," said Danziger, surprised to find things pretty much as they had left them.

"We were," assured Devon. "But then a Terrian showed up. Uly said we should wait."

"So you waited," sighed Danziger. "Where's Julia?" asked Devon. "What happened?" "Diggers took her," said Danziger, snagging her arm even as she turned toward a passing Alonzo. "Don't. They told him to come back here and wait"

"For how long?" asked Morgan, joining them. He held his ground under Danziger's gaze.

" I don't know, but we wait," said Danziger, moving past the lawyer.

Alonzo lay in his hammock by the Transrover. He was watching the stars, clutching Julia's caduceus in his right hand. He hated waiting, not knowing if Julia was being healed. The Terrian had made no promise in that regard, he had told him only to wait.

"Intruder alert!" Walman's shouted warning caught his attention. Walman was aiming his magpro at some moving bushes.

"Don't shoot!" shouted Alonzo, pushing the weapon up, his eyes focused on a figure emerging from the brush. "It's Julia!"

He pushed past Walman, catching her as she stumbled into his arms. Yale was beside him quickly. "Get her inside." Alonzo carried her to the med-tent. She was a mess, dirt in her hair and embedded in her clothes.

"Julia, can you hear me?" asked Yale. "Tired..." She blinked, nodding without opening her eyes. "Rest," he urged her, satisfied she was in no immediate danger after completing a scan. He rose, Alonzo took his place beside the cot, stroking her hair as she slept.

"Is she all right?" asked Devon, turning to see half the camp waiting outside the tent's entrance.

"She appears to be," replied Yale. "I will run tests in the morning to be certain."

"She's fine, Mom," said Uly, pushing his way to his Mother's side. "I told you the Terrians would help her."

Devon hugged Uly.


"What are you thinking about?" asked Alonzo, brushing strands of hair from Julia's forehead. They were lying on the side rack of the Transrover. Yale had decreed Julia was not to endure any strenuous exercise for a few more days. She had been so tired she had not argued.

She was almost completely recovered from her ordeal. Surprisingly the neuro-control chip was gone. Nor did Yale know why minute traces of Terrian DNA remained in her system, but there did not appear to be any danger to her because of it.

"My father," she said, leaning back against his chest, staring at the Terrain they were passing through. The forest was starting to thin out, revealing flat plains ahead of them.

"He's been here," she said. "Before I was born....on a mission for the Council. Some of my father's research and private files were in Daniel's possession. My father recorded his plans for returning home, intending to make sure his children would fare here better than he had."

"Julia..."
"He planned on bringing me here, he told me about some place I would some day go to. He said everyone in my family would be coming here..." She stared at the silver rings on her thumb and finger.

"There's so much I don't know about my own family, Alonzo.. My father could very well be here in G889, working for the Council."

"Stop it," Alonzo said. "Look at me," he tilted her head back, making her meet his eyes. "They are not you. I don't care what he did to your genes." He smiled.

"That's just it, Alonzo. I don't know what he did. I know the skewing, some genetic enhancements, but there's more. He intended for me to be a link to this planet." Her mind was still reeling from what she had discovered in the gear files Daniel had left behind when he had fled. She was still horrified to find the reason her father had skewed her toward the medical arts, not to mention some of the other genetic alterations she had. All for the Council....

"You are a link," said Alonzo. "To the project, to everyone here...to me" She smiled at him, accepting the kiss he leaned down to give her. "But--" He kissed her again. "Nothing else matters," he whispered, holding her eyes. He pulled her tight against his chest, rocking her gently as she drifted to sleep.

"Nothing," he repeated, staring out at the passing Terrain. "Is she going to be all right?" wondered Devon, as Danziger halted the dunerail, letting the rest of the group catch up and pass them.

Alonzo nodded at them as the Transrover lumbered by. "I think so," replied Yale, seated in the back of the rail. "The chip is gone, and her system is mostly clear of the Terrian DNA. Why any remains, I do not know."

Devon nodded. "At least we don't have to worry about Daniel coming after us."

"There's still Reilly," remarked Danziger, easing the rail forward. "True did see Reilly in the woods," said Yale. "According to Daniel's records, both of them had remained in cold sleep, awaiting further orders from the Council."

"But we didn't find him," said Danziger. "Which means he's still out there... probably waiting for us," said Devon, staring ahead, eyes locked on the horizon. Yale nodded.

"That's all right, we're waiting for him, too," replied Danziger. "We'll deal with him when the time comes."

-The End-


Okay, so what do you think? Any and all feedback hereby requested! <G>

Send to: DWILSON163@AOL.COM

This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.