FIRST STEP
By
Doc Heller


Timeline: After "The Enemy within" (Day 49) - Alternate r.
Author's E-Mail: DrHellar@aol.com


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
This is just a little mushy alternate reality story. It (of course) involves Julia and Alonzo. I've minorly changed a few events due to...shall we say dramatic possibility or author's whim. (take your pick as to which one) Depending on feedback, I might write a couple more in this series.

A huge thanks to Lisa, who read, critiqued and edited this story for me. Thank you Lisa!
Hope you enjoy and all feedback to Dr Hellar@aol.com. -Doc Heller


First Step

Doctor Julia Heller woke early and lay in bed thinking. Thinking about what she was going to do today, what she was going to do tomorrow. The exact same thing, she thought silently, continue to make a home. Finally feeling she had planned her day out to the best of her ability, she rose and walked over to her trunk. Finding an outfit she thought would be appropriate for the weather, she grabbed a quick bite of breakfast and emerged from her tent ready to face the day. She looked around her small camp, which was slowly becoming something more. A half finished cabin sat nearby with a firepit between it and the tent. Yes, Julia Heller had done well since Eden Advance had left her.


Alonzo Solace was the only member of Eden Project who still seemed to regret leaving Julia behind. While the rest of the group would sit around the campfire and socialize, Alonzo would remain in his tent. While the rest of the group was sleeping, Alonzo often lay awake thinking about her...about her face, her soft voice, her hair, and her eyes. Those eyes had left a permanent imprint on his mind. Whenever he closed his eyes he saw them. Those beautiful, crystal blue eyes. He had left those precious gems behind. He had left her behind.
So often he scolded himself for never going back for her. So many times he longed to feel her in his arms again, to feel the soft pressure of her lips against his just as they were that night. He longed to butt up against her shell again and see her smile when she did on those few occasions. The horrible memories of Julia Heller's last few days with Eden Project had faded in Alonzo's mind. Instead he remembered the feelings he began to have for her, feelings that had been brushed away with one angry vote.


As Julia Heller sat down in front of the fire that night, she couldn't help but yearn for some sort of human presence, Not a VR person, but a real flesh and blood human being.
Alonzo Solace. As the DNA wore off, Julia began to vaguely remember the night they spent together. She wished she could remember more of that night, she did remember every other detail of Alonzo Solace perfectly. Having so much time alone had made Julia excellent at recall. Some days while working she would concentrate on remembering a person as precisely as she could. Sometimes the memories would never come, though they became clearer each time she tried.
Alonzo Solace had a face Julia could never forget. His voice filled her thoughts. Some days she swore he was there with her, talking to her. Then, however, she would remind herself that he had left her, he hated her, and she would never see him again.
Julia recalled when she had first woke to find herself alone. In the beginning she had convinced herself it was only a temporary punishment, but after two weeks she began to realize they weren't coming back. After that she had become extremely depressed, considering suicide on several occasions. She had even once considered contacting Reilly, yet she never had. To give away her coordinates would admit the two things she would rather keep secret. The first reason was, of course, the fact that it would let the Council know she had failed. And second, it would be easy to narrow the area in which the Council could look for Eden Advance. No matter what they had done to her, she would not betray them again. The real reason, though Julia would never admit it, was she refused to play any part in physically hurting, or killing, Alonzo Solace. As for mental pain, she had already caused him enough.


Alonzo Solace sat on guard duty, alone and quiet. In his mind he went over, yet again, what had happened after they had left Julia. His heart had been torn. So many times he considered going back for Julia, but everytime he backed out at the last minute. He was afraid she would perhaps be gone or she would turn away from him. Because of these fears, he had remained with the group.
They had continued traveling, not stopping until the temperature dropped. Shortly afterwards, Uly Adair had found Mary's Garden, a biodome in the middle of the mountains. In addition, Alonzo had found one of the former inhabitants of the dome who had been raised by Terrians, named Mary. Mary had reached for Alonzo and he had helped her. If he wanted, their friendship could have delevoped into something, but instead, every time he looked at her, he thought about Julia. She was wonderful, but in his mind no one could measure up to Doctor Julia Heller. That had been two weeks ago, and he had not seen Mary since. Since then, the winter was becoming worse each night. During these nights the promised colony ship seemed an unreal prophecy.
A cold wind blew across camp, causing him to pull his coat tighter around his body. Suddenly, Alonzo wondered how Julia was coping with the winter.


Julia tossed and turned in bed that night. She couldn't sleep. Something was keeping her up. She went over a mental checklist in her mind, and finding nothing unfinished, closed her eyes, trying to find peace. His eyes...Julia remembered his eyes. Those dark brown pools that had drawn her in. She remembered the look they had held in the med tent. That look that had made her want to be with him always...made her realize they had something special. Those eyes made her want to give everything up. At least, until common sense took control again and she returned to being the Council Drone. That night in his tent, which had become clearer, though still very hazy, had implanted one phrase forever in her mind, *I'm not going to break your heart.*
He had promised her that he would never break her heart. God, she wished she could hear those words from his lips again. His soft, perfect lips...


The longing had become almost unbearable. They could feel it. Two of the aliens, one on each end of the planet, longing for each other. Each night it became more intense. Each day it subsided marginally, only to come back even stronger at night.
One was a dreamer, the other....
The other was a complete mystery. Once she had attempted to be linked to them; it had failed. She now lived alone, an outcast.


Alonzo got off guard duty and instantly fell asleep. He felt himself being pulled onto the dream plane...only he could feel emotions, longing. Longing for what? He called out. No one responded. He turned around and around, seeing nothing but white light...until he saw her.
She was even more beautiful than he remembered. She was so perfect. He could no longer contain himself and broke down into tears.

Julia had fallen asleep and woke with white light surrounding her. After a moment's disorientation, she realized where she was. She was on the dream plane, with him. She could see him, his soft hair, dark eyes, his tears....
He was crying. Did she dare approach him? After so many nights of longing....
Tears fell onto her own cheeks, unnoticed. She could no longer speak, yet it did not matter.
She began to walk over to him, slowly, measuring each step in her mind.

He looked up. She was only feet away from him now. Small tears rolled down her face. He resisted the urge to embrace her, for fear she would turn away.

They stood there and stared at each other, their eyes locked. Slowly, Alonzo stepped forward and Julia fell into his embrace. No words were spoken. There was no need. They knew what the other was thinking. Somehow, apologies had been made. Questions of how and why had dissolved. Right now they had each other, and that was all they needed. At least until they faced their waking lives again. They knew now. They understood: eventually they would be together again. This was only the beginning.

-The End-


Feedback: Dr Hellar@aol.com

This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.