GOODBYE MY HOME
By
Doc Heller


Timeline: After "Flower Child" (Day 138)
Author's E-Mail: DrHellar@aol.com


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
Okay all,
After sending out Life Desicions with my author's notes saying it was my third story, I had several people EM me about what was my second. So below is story #2 (now #3). If you have any problems just EM me. Hope you enjoy and if it hadn't been for a little glitch this story would have remained in my unused vault! -Heller

After noticing several stories after 'All About Eve' I felt I had to write a story that took place before AAE. So here it is. It reflects on some of the character's emotions on leaving the biodome. As usual I tried to not just write about Julia and as usual I failed miserably. Enjoy and please send all feeback to Dr Hellar@aol.com.
-Heller


Good bye My Home
A Story before 'All About Eve'

"It was the best of times and the worst of times...."
-Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities

True Danziger looked around the area she had spent the last few months in. In just a few days they would be leaving this place she had come to think of as home. It held so many memories for her. Even though she had lived on the Stations for years longer, she still treasured this place far more. Here she wasn't one of the Drones, she was an equal. Here she had not just a father, but an entire family.
True saw her father come out of the Bio-Dome and walk over to Baines. True knew he couldn't see her from where she sat in the tree so she continued to just daydream without worrying he might find her and give her some boring chore. She thought back to Uly's birthday. Even though it hadn't centered around her, she still loved that occasion. It had been one of the happier times. They had all been there. Not because it was the polite thing to do, but because they had truly cared.
Then she found herself thinking back to that scouting mission her father had gone on that had ended up so terrible. Even though it hadn't been one of the better memories, it brought all of them closer. True wished this winter would never end. That they could stay here forever, just in this time. She didn't want to travel again or meet up with all those Syndrome families. She wanted to stay in this little group in this little haven in these mountains forever. But she knew that all too soon it would be over. With that thought a small tear rolled down her cheek.


Julia Heller looked up from packing her medical supplies to see Alonzo Solace entering the small area that had become the infirmary. He walked over and planted a kiss on her head.
"Hey Doc. Need any help?"
"Yes. Could you carry those crates out to the Transrover for me?" Alonzo nodded but seemed obviously dismayed at not getting to work directly with Julia. Seeing this, Julia quickly added, "After that I could use some help packing the heavier equipment."
Alonzo grinned and he immediately brightened. He picked up the crates Julia had pointed to and left the medical tent. Julia watched him go and smiled. What a winter this had been. Not only had she finally found a family and a life, but she didn't have to truly worry about the Council. The Biodome, small and defenseless it was, seemed to be a fortress of all they had accomplished on this planet; the unknown, the survival, the friendships, and the acceptance of one and other.
When they had come here, the group still looked at her as a spy and tended to avoid her. They felt their trust had been betrayed, even after she had helped them with the ZED. Not that she blamed them. She wouldn't have trusted herself after that DNA experiment either. But soon after she had been reaccepted and once again become a member of the group everyone trusted. And for one, the trust had always been there, even in the darkest times of hurt and betrayal.
Alonzo Solace. The name held a special meaning for Julia. It held trust, security, care, and most importantly, love. When she had met him less than six months ago she had all but given him the brush. Some hot shot pilot looking for a lady of the week. They had crashed and he had broken his leg. Then the dreams came and the working together so closely. Working together to heal his leg, help him with the dreams. Dreams that she didn't understand either. At first they had not gotten along at all. He was just waiting for the colony ship to arrive and hitch a ride back to the stations. He hated the planet in general: for the dreams, his leg, everything. She on the other hand planned on being here for life. Planned on devoting her life to medicine and nothing else. She had to learn to love this new planet; it would be her home.
Then slowly, ever so slowly, they had become friends. Julia began to see Alonzo as more than just a hot shot space pilot. She had tried to put up the walls, knowing the Council wouldn't approve of her having a relationship with him and reminding herself not to get involved with her patients. Yet somehow it hadn't worked. Alonzo Solace could see through the inpenetrable walls of Julia Heller. Or the formerly inpenetrable walls of Julia Heller. They had shared that first kiss, ever so ackward, when his leg had healed. For a few short hours Alonzo felt he had finally broken through her walls--then they were back up and more guarded then ever. They had been broken down again when she began experimenting with Uly's DNA. Only this time they weren't still partially up, they were completely gone. Alonzo had seen Julia's dark side. Heard her sobs and had gone back for her. Letting her know she was not alone; let her know he was there. Julia's thoughts turned to going to 'New Pacifica' with Alonzo. Walking on that beautiful beach hand in hand. That kiss in the spider cave... "Julia?"
Julia spun around to see Alonzo standing behind her. "Alonzo! What's wrong?" "Nothing, you just looked like you were on another planet. Everything alright?"
Julia relaxed and Alonzo put his arms around her shoulders. "Yes, everything's fine. I was just thinking," Julia told him. "About what?"
"The biodome. Everything it's been to this group. I almost wish we didn't have to go," Julia told him quietly.
"Yea, I know what you mean. I'm really going to miss this place. After all, we have been through a lot together here." Julia turned around and gave Alonzo a small smile. Their lips met and for another split second she wished the winter would never end.


The small group was assembled outside the biodome. All of their equipment, from tents to socks, had been packed on the Transrover and they stood ready to travel. The biodome had been cleaned and locked just a few minutes ago and now Devon stood addressing the group.
"...When we crashed on this planet, my only hope was that we survived to New Pacifica. I never dreamt I would make friends here. This group has become like a second family to me. Leaving the biodome almost feels like leaving a member of the group. We are probably going to come across many more unknowns before we reach New Pacifica. But together we will brave it through." Devon looked at the group. They all looked hopeful and she had to choke back tears. Scanning the small crowd, she found herself identifying each one. Not as Ops Crew or Colonist, as she had when they first crashed, but with their names. John...True...Yale...
Uly...Julia...Alonzo...Baines...Walman...Eben...Cameron...the Martins... Devon was brought out of her small haze, as the group applauded. Then ever so slowly, the Transrover started and the two smaller vehicles followed suit. There were many glances at the biodome which had been their home. The glances continued until the Biodome had faded from sight. Group spirit was high. All were happy to be traveling again, to have the winter finally behind them. The words Devon had spoken were true. Little did they know the darkness which waited them at the horizon.

-The End-


Send all comments and feedback to Dr Hellar@aol.com

This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.