LOONER
By
Dr. Hellar


Timeline: Before Pilot
Author's E-Mail: DrHellar@aol.com


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
Okay all, a story of mine that finally does not just involved Julia. This one centers on Devon's early years, and I hope the quote below clues you in as to what is going on. Maybe I'm reading to much into it, but I still decided it would be fun. Enjoy and send all feedback/comments to Dr Hellar@aol.com. -Heller

"One thing I've learned, Dison. I'm all out of friends." -D. Adair, First Contact


LOONER

Devon Adair walked through the small shopping area, trying to avoid the stares that came here way. She avoided the whispers, she avoided everything. Right now she wanted to be normal. Just a 13 year old who had friends her own age like everyone else.
But that wasn't possible. She was an Adair. One of the wealthiest families on the Stations. Even if you wanted to be friends with an Adair, it was impossible. They were almost as powerful as the Council. Devon looked over to see a group of girls about her age examining a white blouse. Swallowing her ego and pride, she walked over to the blouse. All she received was cold stares. Devon cleared her throat and spoke. "Hi." A girl with curly red hair and green eyes glared at her and walked away, with the rest of the group at her tail. Devon sighed inwardly. "Devon!"
Devon turned to see her only friend her age in the world. Danielle Liserelli. Devon quickly walked over to her friend, releived to have the loneliness gone for once.
Danielle was much shorter than Devon and looked about 10, on account she hadn't even begun to mature. Devon on the other hand was taller than most boys their age and looked about 17. Danielle's family was rich, her father was one of the top executives at one of the Adair's many companies. Although Danielle had decided to go to school this year. Regular school. No tutor. Something about a Yale recall.
"Devon, hi! Where ya been? I was just about ready to get a ride back home," Danielle bubbled, a large grin sweeping over her small face. "Sorry, I got held up at home," Devon said softly. She really didn't want to go into why she had gotten held up.
"Held up at home? By who? How much did they take?" Danielle questioned, with a look of feigned seriousness on her face. "Cute Dani," Devon replied. Today even Dani's bad joke's couldn't even bring her up.
Danielle gave her friend a sideways look and burst into giggles. "You really have to chill Devon. Have some fun."
"I know, I'm just not in the best of moods today," Devon told her friend, a small sigh ending her sentence.
"Why? What happened?" Dani asked her friend, a concerned look crossing her face.
"I really don't want to go into it," Devon explained. She quickly put on a false smile and changed the subject. "How's school been?" "Fantastic! I made the transstation volleyball league and I'm a cheerleader!" Dani was bubbling with excitement again and Devon couldn't help but feel a little better at her friend's upbeat attitude.


Devon ran into her room and flopped down in front of the monitor. Quickly punching in Dani's number she sat back and waited for her friend to pick up. When she did Devon greeted her with an instant smile. "Devon...hi. Can I call you back?" Dani looked nervous. "Sure," Devon said slowly. As soon as the words were out of her mouth Dani shut the link. Devon just assumed Dani had a game or practice, and didn't think anything of it.


"Dani, wait up!" Devon called as she jogged to catch up with her friend. Dani turned and Devon was surprised to see how much she had changed. Dani's curly black hair was bobbed short and had a very sophisticated air to it. She was wearing a bit too much make-up and a pair of high heeled boots. Three girls were standing behind her, all with the same stylish look. "Yes?" Dani asked Devon, her voice cool and neutral. "I was wondering if I could join you," Devon said quietly, quickly adding, "And your friends."
One of Dani's friends gave Dani a stern look and Dani clear her throat. Dani stared Devon in the eye and told her friend, "I don't hang out with Adairs." Devon couldn't speak. She felt like someone had slapped her acrossed the face.


"Devon, may I come in?" Yale's soft voice rang into Devon's room. "No," Devon stated flatly.
Yale ignored Devon's wish for privacy, and opened the door. He walked across the room to where Devon was sitting on her bed. "Do you want to talk about it?"
Devon started to nod and then shook her head. "No...it just wasn't Dani, Yale."
The tutor put a comforting arm around his charge. "You know, a lot of times people change Devon. I know it's hard, but you'll find another friend--just like Dani, maybe even better. And remember, you'll always have me." Devon nodded slowly and then started to cry. Yale pulled her into a tight embrace and let her cry on his shoulder. And she vowed to herself to never let anyone, excluding Yale, inside her world again. She would show them. She would show them, all of them, that she didn't need them. That she could manage fine without them. That she could become someone without anyone.

-The End-




This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.