ON THE WINGS OF THE DEAD HORSE
By
Inga


Timeline: Time Unknown
Author's E-Mail: frog@fix.net


"On the Wings of a Dead Horse"
by frog@fix.net
(Inspired by the television program Earth2.)

You ask me questions that I cannot fathom, let alone answer. I do not know who you are or what you want of me. I do not even know who I am. My life rushed passed me in a blur of pre-determined actions punctuated by random chaos. I did not understand my existence even before my death.

Death? You ask me what death is? I do not know that either. I thought I knew. I was wrong. Death is when life withers away and ceases to be any longer. I died. I am nearly certain that I died. I was lost without food or water, the only vegetation strangely bitter. I knew it was a poison to me but the hunger gnawed at me until finally I gnawed desperately at the plants. Whether it was the poison or the lack of water, I do not know, but I lay down and I died. I felt myself die and wither and become one with the ground.

And now I stand here, surrounded by you who ask me strange questions about things I never understood. You show me images of confusion. I cannot explain them. I can only watch and acknowledge the things I remember. Yes, I remember these things, but I did not then, nor do I now, understand them.

The boy? I remember the boy. He was mine. He was given to me. I remember that. But in the confusion at the end I could not find him. I was lost and so I died and so I find myself among you, men of living dirt, in a world as confusing as the one I left.

No, I do not know that image. I have not seen it before. It is not real. It is human nonsense. I do not have wings like a bird. I never had wings. But the sound? Yes, I know the sound. Pegasus. It is my name.

The boy? The boy is to be mine again? You grant me this? No, you grant him this. The chance to ride again and in this land of dreams to even fly, on the wings of a dead horse.



-The End-




This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.