LOST WITHIN
By
Julie Dawn Hall


Timeline: On way to New Pacifica
Author's E-Mail: j_hall@po.bethany.wvnet.edu


LOST WITHIN
Julie Dawn

"Hey John! Slow down! I'm trying to get some sleep," Alonzo said in a half sleepy state.

John was driving like crazy. Alonzo laughed.

"Hey, you and Dev back there were fighting pretty hard not to end up in each others ar....

"SHUT IT!, Danziger groaned.

"You woke me up, so It's your problem. I just think you and Dev should..

"I said shut it and I mean it!"

Alonzo grew quite and a grin came on his face as he remembered the times John had hassled him about Julia. Alonzo knew this would be an interesting scout. Devon had sent the two of them to scout a few hours ahead of the main group during the last leg of the journey. She seemed to almost not want to believe that they were finally going to make it. They had scouted for the day and stopped at night to rest and allow the group to catch up.

"Only, two more days to New Pacfica, Danziger. Are you going to stay? You know I know a lady who might not like the thought of you leaving her behind"

"Shut up, ALONZO!!!"

"No! I mean turn about is fair play!"

Danziger was not amused. He hated this worse than the time Alonzo was bitten by that spider. God had he been pissed. Alonzo teased him afterwards that he was jealous. He lied and told Alonzo that he was only annoying him and that he hit him to shut him up. At this moment John wished that he would shut up and leave Devon and his feelings for her alone. John looked over expecting a wise crack from Alonzo, to find him asleep again.

"Good! At least now I'll have some quite."

It was getting late. John had decided to let Alnozo sleep. He didn't want to hear anymore of the jokes and implications about Devon. He didn't love her. No way!

"Lonz, You don't know anything."

The ground shited and Alonzo awkoke with a start.

"What's happenig."

I don't know. Do you think the Terrains are trying to tell you something?"

"No. I haven't dreamed today. Why is the earth moving?"

The rail started to sink. Then it crashed through the mantel of the earth carrying Alonzo and Danziger with it. The metal of the rail crunched and screamed as it twisted. They seemed to fall forever. Finally they landed. John stood up. He had been thrown from the rail and landed on something soggy. He dusted himself off and started to look for Alonzo.

"Lonz! LONZ!!! Where are you Alonzo? Hey Solace. Where are you at?"

No answer came.He made his way to the rail. He had to find a light, that was the only hope he had of finding Alonzo. He search frantically, finally he found a lumalight. It didn't take long to find him.

"OH GOD!! Alozno can you hear me."

Alonzo was pinned under the rail. A huge section on his chest. He had to check to see if he was alive. John checked for a heart beat and Alonzo moaned loudly. He was alive.

"LONZ, you gonna be hurting for a while."

Alonzo stirred slighty. John made a makeshift lever to hold the rail up as he pulled Alonzo out. Luck the thing held at all. He just barely moved Alonzo and it started to fall. Alonzo awoke with the rail crashing down.

"You better just lie still."

"no, I'm fine we have to get out of here."

"Sit down. The group will catch up with us in a few hours. I'm sure they will sit a big hole in the earth. Plus if we don't call in ever hour, Devon has a fit."

"No, I say we get out of here now."

"Sit down. Your hurt and we'll be rescued soon enough."

Alonzo didn't listen he stood and walked light headed to the hole and lookie up. John came up behind him. There was no way out. Alonzo swayed and John caught him.

"Whoa! Easy, buddie!"

There was no need to aruge. Alonzo was alreay out cold. Danziger thought to himself that this was going to be a long night.

Danizger tried his best to make Alonzo comfortable. He didn't have to be a doctor to know the injurieds could be serious. He look in the transrover for the extra clothing they had taken for emergencies. He looked at Alonzo chest. He could already see that a few ribs were broken. He prayed that was the only thing that was broken. Alonzo moaned as John wrapped his ribs with the clothing. It wasn't much but it might keep him still enough to not cause more damage. John bulit a fire in the center of the cave like hole and fell to sleep.

Danizger was awaken by the sounds of Alonzo regaining counciousness.

"EASY!!, John said," I don't want to carry your butt out of this hole."

Alonzo looked up with a confused expression.

"I'm okay John, ALonzo replied. I just need some time to clear my head."

Alonzo stood slowly his head still fuzzy, but he seemed in control. Danziger watched with concern. Alonzo was standing and searching for a way out of the mess they had fallen into.

"Hey just take it easy Alonzo! We can wait for a resuce. It should only be another hour or so. What is your hurry?"

"Just shut it Danziger! I don't need your input. I want out of here now!"

Alozno started to jump towards the hole and grab at the swinging vines. He jumped over and over until he almost fell over. John rushed to grab him, but Alonzo just pushed him out of the way.

"Alonzo what is wrong with you?"

"Nothing. Just leave me alone."

Alonzo sat in the other corner of the cave like structure as far as he could from Danziger. He didn't know what it was but something was wrong, he knew it. Just maybe this was all a dream, but something was not right here.Danziger sat and wondered what was going on. He hadn't seen Lonz this spooked before and he had never known him to panic.After a few minutes Danziger went to Alonzo

"Hey buddie, You want something to eat?I managed to salvage some of the food storage from the Transrover."

"No, I'm fine," Alonzo replied in a somewhat calmer tone.

"Okay! suit yourself. Let's go exploring this place for a while."

Alonzo went surprisingly to John, but the look on his face was full of distrust. The cave was bigger than they had orginally thought. They had been exploring for over 20 minutes and they had not reached the end of the cavern.They noticed that the cavern opened up into a tunnel just up ahead. Alonzo drew back almost on instinct. John wondered what was going on. Alonzo was definitely acting strange.

"Let's go Alonzo."

John could see the fear in his eyes.They were terror striken like a child who is afraid of the dark. He had never seen Alonzo look this way.

"Come on. This might be our ticket out of here."

"no, NO, No! We can't go in there. I won't! Do you hear me? Leave me Alone"

"Hey, Alonzo, take it eas..."

"Don't touch me. I know you are all out to get me. Get away from me."

"Alonzo, It's Danziger remember?"

"No, get away from me. You can't take me. I won't let you. This planet is not ours. I will stop you from killing it"

"Alonzo no one is killing anyone or anything."

" No, you lie..... you.. Oh god!

Alonzo fell his head spinning. John came closer. Alonzo was screaming in agony.John eyes grew wide as Alonzo screamed and tried to keep John away from him. Minutes later the screaming stopped and Alonzo breathed heavily on the ground. John wondered if it was safe to approach him, but thought it best to keep his distance. Maybe Alonzo was going crazy. After what seemed like forever Alonzo looked up

"John, We can't stay here. We have to get out before they come."

"What are you talking about Alonzo."

"John, We can't stay we have to leave.We have to....Argghh! Get out of my head."

Alonzo spun around violent and headed down the tunnel. John followed him. Alonzo was running with all his might. Johh wondered what was going on inside Solace's head. He was running full force when John saw that the caver opened overhead and Alonzo was headed off the huge cliff that ended several feet in front Alonzo. John lunged at Alonzo, knocking him down inches before he flew over the edge. Alonzo began to fight John. John noticed that Lonz was bleeding beneath the make shift bandage. Danziger threw a strong punch to Alonzo face.Alonzo was stunned for a moment and wailed into Danziger again. He almost threw Danziger over the edge. Alonzo had him pinned. He was hammering his fist into Danziger. Danziger fingers grasped for something. Anything. Danziger grasped the rock firmly and sent it crashing to Alonzo head. Alonzo slumped over and Danziger pushed him off of him.

"Damn what a day."

Danziger check on Alonzo and decided that he show do something before Alonzo woke up

Alonzo awoke unable to move. John had decided enough was enough. He wouldn't let Alonzo kill him or himself. Alonzo eyes were not the same,they had change. Alonzo had grown weaker, he was losing too much blood. Danizger noticed how pale he had become.

"Hurry up, Adair."

"John, What happened? What's going on? AGH! Damn!"

"I wouln't move. Considering you bust yourself up a little more."

"John unite me. John... UNTIE ME NOW."

" What are you? Your not Lonz. I don't know what you've done but I'm not going to be a part of it."

"JOHN. LET ME GO."

"No! when Adair and Julia are here,we'll figure out this mess until then too bad."

Alonzo grew angry. He shook and yelled at John vilolently. He stopped pretty soon his body just gave out. John was glad her had about enough crap for today. Alonzo's condition was getting worse.He shook with cold.

"Let me go. I won't let you take this planet. Let me go."

"Easy Lonz. Want some water."

"Don't hurt me. please don't kill me."

"I won't. Here drink."

Alonzo sipped barely able to swallow.

"I don't want to die. I don't want to die. Please daddy don't kill me."

John looked puzzled. Alonzo was talking like a child and he sure the hell wasn't his father.

"I promise that I won't talk to them again. I promise."

"Alonzo, are you alright."

"No, I don't want to hurt them the Terrians are my friends."

Danziger thought that Alonzo was off his rocker. He kept repeating the same message over and over.

"Hey Solace nothing is going to harm you. I promise that."

Just as Danziger spoke a Terrian popped from the ground. John backed away. The terrian crossed over to Alonzo and placed a hand upon his head. The trills filled the room. Danziger placed his hands over his ears to block out the loudness. The room filled with light.A small bosy stepped out from Alonzo. He looked to be at about eight or nine.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to hurt anyone," the boy said and ran down the tunnel.

John tried to follow, but the boy had vanished. John turned and the terrian had done the same.John was left with more questions than answers.Alonzo stirred and John returned.

"you okay?"

"Yeah"

"You won't believe what happened...You were...

"John I know."

"great, wait till the camp hears this one."

"John,no, you can't the kid he's my brother. I don't know how or why or how he even got here. I just know what he told me. You can't tell the group until I find out what happened. please."

John was untying him now.

"Please John! Don't"

"Hey down there. Any flyboys and grumpy men down there"

"Hey thanks Adair. I love you too."

"Hey John. You remember what we were talking about before the crash."

"Shut up Solace! Now I know your okay- YOUR BEING A PEST."

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Alonzo is busted up a bit, but otherwise we're fine."

They started to pull them out of the hole. Devon and Baines making jokes about the whole thing.

"Anything happen down there in the dark between you two?" Adair teased as the group laughed.

Alonzo looked at Danziger

"No. But I'll tell you one thing. I never could get Alonzo to shut up. It was Julia this and Julia that. I think I prefered him in the uncouncious form.

The camp laughed and Alonzo drifted off to sleep.

-The End-




This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.