ALL THANKS TO BESS
By
Jeitiiea


Timeline: On way to New Pacifica
Author's E-Mail: tressa@bit.net.au


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
The characters of Earth2 are not mine, and no infringement on any copyrights is intended.

Author's note: I'd like to thank everyone from the WBS Earth2 room who read this story and the other one I sent, for their overwhelmingly positive response which gave me the courage to send them to this list. I hope you enjoy. This is just a little D/D piece that popped into my head one day in the middle of a lecture, pure romantic mush.


All Thanks To Bess
-by Jeitiiea-

Bess scowled absently as she ate her breakfast. Her father had always said she had a pretty scowl, but the Eden crew knew Bess' scowl meant trouble for someone and only hoped it wasn't them. It told them she was busy thinking up some new way to interfere with their lives - all for their own good, of course. Bess was never happier than when she was match-making, and she was currently focusing her attention on Devon Adair and John Danziger. They were the one couple that had not yet benefited from her kindly-meant ministrations. She'd helped their doctor, Julia Heller, and their pilot, Alonzo Solace get together, and her work with Cameron and Magus looked to produce good results. But, for all her comments and less-than-subtle hints, Devon and John stubbornly refused to give up fighting each other and start loving each other, as anyone could see they did. It was time for something drastic. "Bess? Honey, what's wrong?" Morgan asked worriedly as he joined his wife with his own breakfast.
"I'm just thinking about Devon and John," Bess replied distractedly, staring alternatively at first Devon and Uly, then Danziger and True. Morgan groaned. "Danziger? Look, uh, Bess, are you sure that's a good idea? I mean, Danziger's a very private person, he's not exactly the sort of person who'd like you interfe - uh, I mean, helping his love-life." Besides which, Morgan had had enough trouble with John Danziger already. The big mechanic was the only person Morgan truly feared. Their uneasy truce could not possibly survive Bess' interference in his personal life. "Don't be silly, Morgan," Bess replied, smiling brightly at him. ~Uh-oh~ Morgan thought as his wife continued speaking. "Everyone deserves a chance of happiness. And I think I've figured out a way to get Devon and John together." Smiling determinedly, Bess stood up. "Bess, where are you going?" her husband called anxiously as she started to walk away. She turned around, grinned and winked mischievously at him, before heading away again. Morgan moaned and slumped down. This was definitely not good.


"Hey, Denner, you seen John?" Bess called to the other woman. Magus, who'd been chopping wood to put on the fire, stopped and wiped her sweaty brow, smiling at Bess.
"Oh, yeah. I think I saw him workin' on the Rail a while ago," Magus offered.
Smiling her thank-you, Bess turned and walked determinedly towards where the Rail was parked. It was hidden from view of the camp by the big, bulky Transrover, which she had to go around. There, she saw the tall-bodied John Danziger, half stuck underneath the bright yellow Dune Rail. She heard him swear and bit back a laugh.
"Danziger?" Bess asked in her gentle, Earth-accented voice. The mechanic swore again as he tried to look up to see who it was, and hit his head in the process. He pulled himself out from under the Rail, rubbing his head.
"Bess?" Danziger sighed and shook his head, trying to shake off the stinging of the bump.
"Hello, John. I was wondering if I could talk to you?" Bess asked sweetly. Danziger looked at her. Considering the mood he'd been in lately - grouchy, moody and more hostile than normal - he hadn't expected anyone to pop up and cheerfully ask to talk to him. But then, if anyone would, he should have expected it to be Bess.
"What about?" Danziger demanded irritably, turning his back on her and resuming his work on the Rail.
Bess plunked herself happily down on the ground beside him, and fiddled idly with the Gear unit hooked on her belt. "Well, John, I was just thinking. Back on the Stations, I would never have known you. I probably wouldn't have known anyone here except maybe Morgan." Danziger grunted. "Well, you seem to have overcome that pretty well." Bess laughed softly. "And if it hadn't been for me marrying Morgan, I wouldn't even be here."
Here Danziger stopped what he was doing, and twisted around to look at her. "I always wondered about that. You and Morgan... Well, I doubt very many people would have picked you as a good couple. But you seem happy." ~Still they're a pretty odd couple~ Danziger thought to himself. Bess nodded. "We are. When I first met him, when he came down to Earth for some business deal of his... He was looked so polished and perfect.." She ignored Danziger's snort, because she was aware of his opinion of her husband. "I was at the spaceport, dropping off our harvest, when I saw him. He was so different to Earth men. He came over to me, and we started talking. I was worried that he would leave, and I wouldn't ever see him again. But then, just before he left, he took my hand and kissed it, and told me to meet him there again the next day." Bess smiled fondly as she remembered that moment. "I knew then that he was the one. I guess he did too." Her eyes lost their dreamy glaze and she looked at John. "I guess it was that way with you and Ellie, right?" Danziger looked startled by the odd turn of the conversation, but smiled sadly as he remembered True's mother. "Yeah. Something like that." Bess nodded, and added innocently, "not like you and Devon." This time when John looked at her, his eyes were suspicious. "What do you mean?" he asked warily. "What does me and Ellie have to do with me and Adair?"
"It's okay, John," Bess replied, smiling reassuringly. "I know. I saw the look on your face when she collapsed. I saw the look on your face when she collapsed. I know how bad you were while she was in coldsleep." Danziger sighed, and turned around, so he was leaning against the Rail. He fiddled with the tool in his hands, uncomfortable, but somehow needing to talk about this. "That woman is the most stubborn person in the entire galaxy." He shook his head. "I knew that the first time I saw her when I applied for the Eden job. When we crashed, I thought she was so arrogant and high-handed, unwilling to listen to anyone else's views or opinions." He smiled crookedly. "Like when she wanted to trek us all the way across the continent to New Pacifica." He gave another heavy sigh and smiled faintly, fondly. "The first time I saw her, in her office on the Stations, she looked so beautiful, so lovely... Like some sort of ancient goddess..."

Bess hid a grin and asked cautiously, "you do care about her then, John?" "You should know, Bess," and John smiled sardonically at her. "You saw me when she was sick. I was a wreck. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't eat. I couldn't imagine my life without her. I still can't. I never knew just how much I needed her, even when she's being so headstrong and obstinate and not thinking things through. Even when she was challenging every decision I made..." He sighed, and rested his chin in his hand. "I still wanted her. And it's driving me mad," he finished in a low whisper, Bess' presence long forgotten.

Bess remained silent for a long time, staring at this man so in love with Devon. She shook her head and punched his arm. "So go tell her that, you big lug!"
Danziger glared at her. "I can't!" There was a flash of panic in his eyes as he said sternly, "and don't you dare tell her, Bess! Swear to me you will not repeat a word of this to her!" Bess nodded innocently, smiling sweetly. "Of course. I promise you, John, she'll never hear anything about this from me." Warily, the mechanic nodded. "Okay. That's all right, then."

Bess smiled again under his threatening stare, then jumped up and walked away, leaving him to his work. Once she was out of earshot of Danziger, she grinned wickedly.
"But from you is another story," she said, her eyes sparkling mischievously. Bess glanced furtively over her shoulder, and pulled out her Gear unit. Chuckling, she made a beeline for Devon Adair.


"Devon, may I speak to you for a moment?" Adair heard someone say. Even as she looked up, she recognized the speaker as Bess Martin, and put a pleasant smile on her face.
"Hello, Bess. Of course, is there something I can do for you?" Devon inquired politely.
Bess smiled. "Actually, Devon, I think there's something I can do for you."

She caught Devon's attention with that. The older woman looked up, curiosity and perplexity etched clearly on her fine features. "Pardon?" Adair said.
"I just spoke with John. I thought he seemed a little... uhm... moody," Bess finished diplomatically. Devon scowled. "He's been in a bad mood ever since I came out of cold sleep." Devon shook her head irritably. She'd tried to figure out what Danziger's problem was, but he'd refused to talk to her, avoided her as much as possible. Despite herself, Devon had been hurt by that. "I don't know what's wrong with him."

Bess coughed delicately. "Actually, Devon, I think I may be able to help you with that. That's one of the things I was talking to him about." Jealousy flashed through Devon's eyes at the thought of Bess' close friendship with the big mechanic. "Oh?" she inquired coolly. "And what did he say?"
Bess' ever-present smile broadened. "Perhaps you'd care to listen?" And she pulled out her Gear unit.

For a moment, Devon stared uncomprehendingly at the other woman. Then her eyes widened and she stared. "You taped your conversation on Gear?" She hadn't expected such cunning of the woman. Bess just grinned and activated the Gear. Her own voice came out. "Hello, John. I was just wondering if I could talk to you......"

Adair listened with at first disbelief, then growing uncertainty to Danziger and Bess' short conversation. She somehow couldn't connect those words with the gruff John Danziger, though it was undeniably his voice that had spoken them. Unable to accept that he could care for her, she focused on the negative, which she was so good at. Her mind shied away from John's admission of feelings, and she encouraged her anger. "Stubborn, am I? Arrogant?" Devon repeated his words, beginning to see red. She'd always been able to call up her temper at need, and here it held off softer and more dangerous thoughts. Devon could not permit herself to reveal her own emotions, as John had done.
Bess took a wary, half-step back, afraid that, having apparently incurred Devon's wrath, it would be directed at her. "But, Devon, it wasn't that bit I wanted you to listen to," Bess cried in alarm and consternation. Her plan was falling apart! "I'll show him!" Devon muttered under her breath, her blue eyes flashing in outrage. It was one thing for him to think these things about her, or say them to her face. But going around telling others in the group undermined her authority and made her look bad. Or at least, that's how Devon rationalized her anger to herself.
"Devon? Devon, where are you going?" Bess demanded as the older woman stormed out of the tent, eyes flashing, hands clenched into fists. The very vision of fury.

John saw her coming. He recognized the clenched jaw, the infuriated stance and, though he knew he should be cringing in anticipation when he saw her heading straight for him, he could only think how beautiful she looked. Like an avenging angel.
"Danziger, I do not appreciate you telling people how obstinate and arrogant you apparently think I am," Adair did not even wait until she reached him before beginning her tirade. "I credited you with more discretion than that."
Danziger stared at Devon, completely lost. "Huh?" "Bess taped your conversation with her on Gear," Adair explained tautly. Danziger's jaw tightened and his gaze shot straight to Bess, who smiled sheepishly and grabbed Morgan's hand, her husband just having arrived on the scene to see what all the yelling was about. Others were arriving, intrigued by this scene between their two leaders. "Bess played that conversation for you?" John demanded, grabbing her thin shoulders.
"Ow! John, stop it! Let me go!" Devon ordered, trying to pull herself away, cringing inwardly as she saw others were watching and not even wanting to imagine what they thought was going on. "Adair, be quiet. You heard the whole conversation?" the mechanic demanded, oddly pale.
Devon stared at him. "Yes. Of course I did. And I would prefer it if you kept your opinions on my 'arrogance' and obstinance to yourself in the future, Danziger. Do we understand each other?" John stared at her oddly. He loosened his grip on her but did not release her totally. "Adair, what about the rest of the conversation?" he asked. The woman looked at him. "The rest? What about the rest?" Devon demanded haughtily, raising her chin and trying to convince her body that it really didn't want to blush. She knew exactly what he was talking about. And he knew she knew.
Danziger took firm hold of her upper arm and began dragging her away from the prying eyes of the rest of the group, behind the Transrover and into the forest.
"Danziger! John, what are you doing? Let me go! Are you out of your mind?" Adair demanded as he finally came to a stop when they were hidden from the crew.
He turned on her. "Yes, Adair, I'm totally out of my mind! Completely and utterly insane! Nutty as a fruitcake! And you wanna know why Adair?" the mechanic asked.
Devon looked at him unsurely, bemused and a little frightened. "Why, John?"

"Because of you!" He stuck his finger in her face and Devon put her hands on her hips defensively.
"Now, wait a minute, Danziger -"
"No. I've waited a year already." He seemed desperate as he looked at her, almost pleadingly. "Dammit, Adair, you heard what I said to Bess. You must know how I feel!"
He turned away from her abruptly, embarrassed by what he'd said.

Devon stared at his broad back, as silence settled between them. She tried to assimilate what was happening here, but it was too unreal, too impossible. He was admitting to the implied meaning of his conversation with Bess, admitting how deeply he cared for her. Devon found courage, and let herself accept that he was telling the truth, all the hardness and anger vanishing from her in an instant. She put her hand on his shoulder. "Tell me," the woman said softly, letting herself admit how she felt about him, something she'd hidden, ignored and denied for a long time. But, before she could act on anything she felt, she needed John to tell her exactly what he felt, what he wanted. She was too used to protecting herself to let all her guards down even now.

John still had his back to her, but now he turned and stared at her with such a powerful combination of desire, longing and love in his beautiful blue eyes that Devon found it difficult to breathe. "Oh, Devon," he sighed, almost sadly, as if he had already convinced himself that she could not possibly reciprocate his feelings.
"Tell me, John," Devon ordered him, her voice firm and commanding, although her eyes were soft and encouraging.
"Dammit, Adair, I love you!" Danziger yelled at her, his blue gaze furious. Devon smiled smugly and John groaned in terrible dismay, terrified that he had told her how he felt and she was only pleased because it gave her something to hold over him. Devon realized this with some shock, and her smile vanished.
"John, look at me," Devon pleaded softly, for he had turned his back on her again, unable to watch her anymore. "Please, John." Slowly - so slowly - he turned. Devon stared at him, awed by the desperate dismay stamped on his features and the powerful emotion undiminished in his eyes. "Please, Devon, just go. Just go." Convinced she was cruelly laughing at his love for her, Danziger pleaded for her to leave him be. Emboldened by his obvious feelings for her, Devon tightened her grip on his arm and stared at him in silence, awed by the effect he had on her. "John -" Devon stepped closer and put her head on his chest. She felt his heartbeat quicken and felt his shock, but his arms went around her waist, hesitantly, unsurely. Devon wondered if he had been with anyone since Ellie. Well, it didn't matter. She hadn't been with anyone since Uly was born.

She hesitated and took a deep breath. It was up to her now. She could seize the opportunity for happiness, or turn her back on it in favor of safety. Devon smiled. There was really no choice. "It's okay, John. I love you too."
He froze. His heart didn't beat for a moment and then, with a painful lurch, it began beating like a jackhammer, pounding against his chest. "What..." He cleared his throat. "Uhmm... what did you say?" She chuckled, a soft, low, very feminine sound. "I said I love you too, John Danziger." She pulled back and mock-glared at him. "You got a problem with that, Danziger?"
He grinned brilliantly, happier than she had ever since him. "Not if you don't, Adair."

Devon was thinking about the change in him, from moody, recalcitrant mechanic, to teasing, tender future-lover, so she wasn't expecting his gentle kiss. It was a soft, undemanding kiss, one she could have pulled away from at any time. But Devon didn't pull away. She leaned into his embrace. John ran his tongue along her lower lips and she parted her mouth, allowing him to deepen the kiss. Devon moaned softly, holding him tighter as desire threatened to overwhelm her.
"Adair -" John gasped, pulling away, passion slurring his voice. There was a question in his eyes.
"Yes, John," she insisted and he smiled delightedly, and kissed her again. "I love you," he whispered against her mouth. "I love you, John," Devon murmured back, happier than she could ever remember being.
Danziger smiled against her lips as he lowered her tenderly to the ground. As he did so, Devon had an overwhelming presentiment that everything was really going to be okay. They were going to reach New Pacifica, the Syndrome children would be Healed...
Because, at that moment, in John's arms, everything in Devon Adair's life was exactly how she could have wished it.

-The End-




This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.