WED
By
Louise Coulthard


Timeline: Years after
Author's E-Mail: lou@presence.lglobal.com


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
Howdy all. This is my first attempt at fan fic, and I've finally decided to post it! Several people have urged me to do this, so I hope everyone enjoys my little story. Please feel free to write to me and let me know what you thought at lou@lglobal.com. I'd love to hear what you think! Usual disclaimers apply.


WED
By Louise Coulthard
Posted April 23 1997

It was a perfect moonlight evening. The wind was gently stirring in the trees and he looked up as the tent flap rustled in the breeze. He could see the stars outside through the swaying canvas and the twin moons as they made their way across the heavens. The night was warm, quiet; filled with the serenity of two people in love.

He sighed contentedly and looked down at the sleeping woman beside him, smiling to himself quietly as he realised that this was the happiest he had ever been in his life. Because this night was special - this, his wedding night, and the woman beside him made everything complete.

"Finally," he thought to himself. "Finally! At last we are one - at last Adair and Danziger are one as we should be."

They had both wanted to share this time out in the wilderness, in the tent - the way it used to be as they had made their way across the planet. His thoughts trailed off into the past, when things had not always been this tranquil, to a time when they could not stand the sight of each other. When all they could do was argue and try to show the other up; asserting themselves at the other's expense and always, *always* having to be right. He grimaced ruefully as he remembered some of their fights. Sometimes all he'd wanted to do was grab her and shake - and sometimes he virtually had. But that had been a very long time ago.

Lying beside him, the woman stirred. She was drowsy, but awake and was also recalling their past. She turned over and smiled at him as their eyes met. They each knew what the other was thinking and shared a grin. She chuckled as she reached up and brushed his wavy hair off his face.

"Remember how stubborn you always were?" she teased. He faked a look of shock and disbelief.

"Stubborn? Me?" he exclaimed. "As I recall missy you were always the one putting your foot down. Got you into quite a bit of trouble sometimes too." He fell back laughing when she faked a punch at his jaw and then took her in his arms as she rolled on to his chest.

"I wonder just how surprised they all were when they finally realised what was going on," she mused. "Took them long enough too."

He chuckled. "I think Yale was the most shocked. I guess he thought he knew us well enough to be able to tell what was going on. Especially when he's known the Adairs for so long!"

"Oh poor Yale!" she made a face. "I felt so bad deceiving him at first, but I think he was the first to realise what was going on. I'm just surprised the others didn't tease us more about it! Especially when they've watched this grow right from the start."

"Well we've all come through so much together. So much." he fell silent remembering everything that had happened on this planet. He thought back to those early days when no one had known what to do, and they had been so helpless in the face of this new world.

"Remember that first time with the Terrians," she whispered as if she knew what he was thinking. "God I was so worried about you."

He remembered it all now - he would never forget that first time in the underground tunnels, feeling so lost and helpless, knowing of the people waiting above. And the terrible sensation when Devon had been sick, unable to survive outside of the cold sleep chamber. He thought of the grey, dark interior of the ship and the awful aloneness he had felt as he watched her trapped inside. Those bleak nights when he had sat outside the chamber, gazing at the Terrian staff leaning against the crypt while praying for a miracle. He wondered if she had heard him talking to her, and knew inside, somehow, she had.

But he also remembered the day they had first beheld New Pacifica. They had been able to both taste and smell the crisp fresh tang of the ocean. He looked at his wife beside him and recalled how they had both run ahead of the vehicles, ignoring the others as they fell down sand dunes and into the salty waves. The group had, at first, looked on as if they were crazy as they tumbled in, clothes and all, but soon the others had followed and were acting like young children as they splashed and cheered.

Watching as the memories flashed across her husband's face, she recalled the relief she had felt that same day as they were drying on the dunes when she had approached John. He had looked at her, then out into the vast ocean and smiled. "Well, we're home," he'd said. She remembered the joy that had flooded through her as she realised that they were all staying and making their home here. And they had made their homes and built their lives here, too. There was a substantial settlement at New Pacifica now, made up of healed Syndrome patients and their families, as well as the original Eden Advance team. They had both played a large role in the settlement as it grew and there had been many conflicts and problems to sort out. And finally, after all this time, they had been able to fulfil this one last promise.

"Took us long enough," he whispered as he leant down to kiss her. "Almost a lifetime," she agreed as her lips met his. Ulysses Adair took his new wife, True Danziger, in his arms. Outside the tent, on a nearby hill, a lone Terrian stood and silently watched over the valley. It trilled quietly as if expressing its approval and slowly sunk into the ground.

-The End-




This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.