A DREAMER'S DREAM
By
Laura Pickering


Timeline: At New Pacifica
Author's E-Mail: viper@stayfree.co.uk


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
I've finally finished the sequel to my first E2 story 'Contact'. It takes place a week or two after where Contact ended and hopefully will tie up most of the loose ends =)

Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.

As you know, I don't own any of the characters (unfortunately), Amblin Entertainment and Universal Picture have those rights even though they have no idea what to do with them, if they'd just hand them over I'm sure I'd do a much better job of it...

Anyhoo, I digress. Enjoy!

Laura =)
(Contact can be found in zipped format on my webpage
http://www.stayfree.co.uk/dialin/viper/reconn.html


A DREAMER'S DREAM (1/3)
by Laura Pickering

Once again the dreamer dreamed. Although he didn't dream of unworldly creatures that lived beneath ground. He dreamed of his own kind.


"JULIA!"

Alonzo Solace's eyes burst open in terror, a dry scream broke free from his throat. At first disorientated, he sat straight up in his cot, the sheet clinging to his sweat slicked chest. His erratic breathing slowly returned to normal, calming the almost painful beating of his heart.

Looking around him, the pilot realised his surroundings. He was lying in his hospital room, the sterile white walls staring back at him. The diagnostic equipment still sat beside his bed, their use imperative not long ago when he had been in a critical medical condition. The only hint of colour in this stark environment was his leather flight jacket, which hung from a peg on the door. It was still stained with blood.

Alonzo released a pent up sigh of frustration and pressed the palms of his hands against his eyes. Partly to rid himself of the horrendous images that had invaded his sleep, and partly to stop the flow of tears that threatened to fall.

The pilot started as the door to his room flew open. A young nurse ran in, concern on her face. "Mr Solace are you alright?" She asked breathlessly. "I thought I heard a scream."

With his face still hidden from view, he nodded. "I'm fine."

"Are you having trouble sleeping? I could give you a sedative."

"No!" He shook his head fiercely. "No, I don't want to sleep. I have dreams." Pulling his hands away, he looked up her with pleading eyes. "I don't want to dream."

Not sure of how to respond to the obviously distraught man, the nurse simply nodded her head. "Okay no sleepaids, but I'll be right outside if you need me." She told him, and then left closing the door behind her.

Alonzo was left alone with his thoughts once more, which was something he wasn't entirely happy with. All he could think about was the dream he had just awakened from. A dream that had just about scared him out of his wits, and as most people knew Alonzo didn't scare easily.


"How are you doing today Alonzo?"

The pilot was drawn out of the particularly taxing staring contest he was waging with the ceiling, by the deep baritones of Yale. Shifting himself into a sitting position, he gave the cyborg a smile - albeit a false one, the pilot wasn't really in a smiling mood. "Not too bad. Although I must admit, I've felt better."

Yale smiled knowingly. "Well you look better at least."

In an attempt to change the subject from what he believed would be thirty minutes of idle questions about his health, Alonzo asked. "How are things going out there? Danz came by yesterday and told me they had nearly finished the mess building."

"Eatery." Yale corrected with amusement. "Bess will be very annoyed if she hears you calling it a mess."

"Bess?"

"Yes, Mrs Martin has appointed herself head of the culinary division. Who better? She is the best cook on G889."

"Here, here." Alonzo laughed but it quickly metamorphisised into a yawn.

Yale regarded the pilot with a frown. "Not sleeping well?"

Alonzo shrugged, he was a little hesitant to tell Yale why he hadn't got a lot of sleep last night. The pilot wasn't known for sharing his problems with others, he preferred to work things out on his own. Perhaps in this instance though, it would help to tell someone. Another interpretation of what he had seen, might make it seem not quite so bad. "I've been dreaming a lot just lately. I wake up afterwards and can't get back to sleep."

"Terrian dreams?" Yale asked, in an almost reflex reaction.

The temptation to say nothing more was very strong, but he pushed it away. "No, I've been having dreams about..." A lump rose in his throat, as the dream flashed back to him. He took a breath. "...Julia."

"Oh." The old tutor's face instantly softened. "It's understandable that you would dream of Julia. She meant a lot to you. You miss her."

Alonzo could see the pity in Yale's eyes and it made him uncomfortable to be the focus of this emotion. He also immediately noted Yale's use of past tense. 'She *meant* a lot to you' he had said. These words confirmed Alonzo's fears, the others didn't think that Julia was going to pull out of her coma. They thought she was just going to fade away to nothingness. Well they may have given up on her, he sure as hell hadn't. "Yes, she *does* mean a lot to me, I miss her so much it hurts. But the dreams Yale, they aren't pleasant - in fact they're downright scary."

"How so?"

"You know what, I'd rather not talk about it." Alonzo told him with a deep sigh. "I thought it would help to tell someone, but it hasn't."

Yale smiled kindly at the pilot. "Alonzo, it always helps to talk with others about the things that hurt, believe me. If you don't feel ready though, I shall respect that. Just remember, I'm always here if you need me."

"I know and I appreciate that. Maybe I'll be able to take you up on your offer, but not right now okay. I'd like to think about it on my own a bit first."

"As you wish." Yale responded softly, as he stood and pushed his chair back against the wall where he'd found it. "By the way, Devon asked me to tell you that she'll be dropping by to see you this afternoon. She'll probably bring Ulysses with her was well, to see how you're doing." He added over his shoulder as he walked to the door.

"Oh okay, tell her I look forward to seeing them. And Yale..."

The cyborg turned away from the door, his hand resting on the handle. His attention back with the pilot.

"Thanks."

Yale nodded his head once, then left.


A gnarled forest full of old dying trees. Beyond lay a graveyard, its gravestones strewn haphazardly across the ground like rotting teeth. As hard as he tried Alonzo could not read the words on the stones, weather and moss obscured the lettering. All except one that is, at the far end of the cemetary one stone stands alone. Its bright white marble drew him near.

He read the large black letters.

JULIA HELLER M.D.
VALUED FRIEND & PHYSICIAN TO EDEN PROJECT

The words didn't scare him as they had the night before. They just puzzled him. Julia wasn't dead, so why this marker? This is a dream though he reasoned, dreams almost never make sense. His dreams did though. The dreams Alonzo has have a purpose, in his dreams the Terrians show him the way - Past, Present & Future. Was this one of them? Was he having a premonition? Was this gravestone the future?

"I hope to god it isn't." Alonzo stated out loud. Even though he was standing in a flat open place, his words still echoed back to him.

He knelt down at the graveside, but jumped back up again as something sharp dug into his knee. Reaching down, he swept a hand through the dew dampened grass. Drawing his hand back, Alonzo's eyes widened in surprise, he was holding a tarnished dog-tag. Turning them over he realised they were his. It saddened him to think of them here abandoned. He had given them to Julia months ago. They were his most prized possession, the only link to his past life. He had wanted Julia to have them, she was his future. He had even carved an inscription on the reverse side - Forever.

He placed one hand against the cool marble, tracing the indentations made by the carved out lettering. "Forever Julia, do you remember? We promised each other forever." He held up the dog-tag, pointing the one- word inscription at the block of stone, as if it could somehow read it.

Alonzo buried his face in his hands. Why was he here, he didn't want to dream of things like this.

It was deadly silent around him, no birds could be heard, the leaves in the trees were still. But then he heard a voice, quiet at first but slowly getting louder.

"It wasn't me that broke our promise Alonzo."

Julia. That was Julia's voice, of that he had no doubt. Jumping up he spun around in the direction the voice had come, he was disappointed to find no one there. He had suspected there wouldn't be, his mind was playing with him. "Julia, where are you?!"

"JULIA!"


"So is he getting better?" Ulysses Adair asked his mother, as they neared the hospital.

"Yes Uly, Dr Vasquez thinks he'll be released from Hospital next week." She replied brightly. Devon was aware her son had been very withdrawn since Alonzo had gotten sick, she was not surprised by this however. The two had formed a strong bond, their Terrian connections drawing them together.

"Good, because there are some things I have to show him. The Terrians have taught me lots."

"They have?" She asked, this was news to Devon. It was times like these that she was incredibly jealous of their pilot. Her son should be sharing these things with her, his mother not a man he barely knew.

"Uh-huh." He nodded, and then promptly ended the conversation.

Of course Devon was disappointed by this, but to be honest she was getting used to it. Uly hardly ever mentioned the Terrians any more, and would never offer further information if prompted. "What have you got there?" She asked instead, pointing to a block of wood the boy held under his arm.

At this he had no problem with answering, a huge smile broke free from his lips as he responded. "Its a baseball bat. Its dead neat mom, Mr Danziger made it for me, Yale showed him how. They said that Alonzo may know how to play, you know with him being a kid so long ago and all."

Devon eyed the object critically. A club, John and Yale had given him a club?! She would have to have a quiet word with them later. "Oh, I don't know about that honey. Alonzo may not feel quite up to playing with you just yet. His wounds have healed, but he still doesn't feel too good." She told him slowly, not quite sure how to phrase it.

She needed had bothered though, because her son was more perceptive than she gave him credit for. "You mean cuz of Julia?"

"Well, yes." Devon replied suddenly uncomfortable with this conversation. She realised her son should know about these things but it was still difficult to discuss such an adult subject with the person she thought of as her 'baby boy'.

They carried on to the pilot's room in silence, on reaching it Devon knocked on the door once and then let herself in. Once again she was shocked by Alonzo's appearance, he had lost a lot of weight, and his muscle definition wasn't quite as distinct as it used to be. Despite Dr Vasquez assurance that Alonzo's condition was improving fast he looked just as bad as the day he had collapsed.

Pushing past his mother, Uly ran to Alonzo's bedside, holding his baseball bat proudly. He stopped with a frown though when he realised the pilot was fast asleep.

"He's asleep?" Devon asked from the doorway.

"He's dreaming."

"How do you know that."

His mother expected the usual half cocked Terrian mumbo jumbo, but instead Uly merely replied. "Look his eyes are moving. Doesn't that mean he's dreaming? R.E.M. or something."

Devon nodded her head, slightly chagrined. "Maybe we should come back later, I think he needs the sleep." She had just stepped away from the pilot's bed, when he cried out, startling both the Adairs.

"Julia, where are you?!"

Her maternal instinct kicking in, Devon crossed back over to the pilot and laid a hand gently on his arm. The desperation in his voice caused her considerable worry, especially after what Yale had told her earlier. "Alonzo, you're just dreaming its all right."

"JULIA!"

His flesh was hot to the touch, a sheen of sweat covered his face and upper torso. Devon was starting to get a little concerned. Was he delirious? She knew you weren't exactly supposed to wake a person during this type of sleep distress, but this time she felt it was the right thing to do. Gripping his arm a bit tighter, Devon shook the pilot. "Alonzo, I think you should wake up now."

Devon started as the pilot suddenly grabbed her hand. His eyes opened wide, but they didn't seem to see her. "Julia?" A chill coursed through her body as Alonzo continued to look straight through her.

"No Alonzo, its Devon." She told him quietly.

His intense expression relaxed somewhat as he finally focused on her. "Oh." He replied, with obvious disappointment.

"Are you all right Alonzo?" Another voice asked from near the doorway.

Looking around Devon, Alonzo smiled at Uly. The young boy stood uncertainly in the doorway, his bat clutched awkwardly in his hands. "I'm fine champ." Alonzo assured him. "I just had a bad dream that's all."

"Would you like us to come back later?" Devon asked, feeling the pilot might be uncomfortable by what they had just witnessed.

"No, its okay I'm awake now." Pushing himself into a sitting position, he waved for Uly to come closer. "What have ya got there, big guy?" He asked, pointing to the baseball bat.

"Its a baseball bat, Mr Danziger and Yale made it for me. Do you know how to play?" Uly asked enthusiastically.

"Do I know how to play?!" The pilot mock-scoffed. "Hey, I'll have you know I was the best pitcher in the VR league when I was a kid. Why, do you want me to teach you and True how to play?"

"Yeah?! That'd be great, but True? She's a girl, she can't play baseball." Uly stated emphatically. Then as an afterthought he added. "Although I suppose we'll need someone to get the ball everytime, she can do that."

"I don't think she'd be too happy about that." Alonzo responded, casting an amused glance at Devon.

Devon rolled her eyes at the pilot in return. "Ulysses Adair, don't you dare exclude True. Baseball is a game for both sexes." She chastised.

"Yes mom." The young boy replied haughtily.

"Well, we only came over to see how you were doing. Dr Vasquez says you'll be ready to leave the hospital next week."

"Yeah he told me this morning. I don't know about that though Dev, I'm still feeling pretty drained." Truth be told though, he couldn't bare the thought of being around the others. Yes they're his friends but that made matters even worse, the sympathy and pity, it was unbearable.

"Oh." Devon was somewhat surprised by his response, she had thought he'd be pleased to leave the hospital, Alonzo had never been one stay in one place for long. She realised it was understandable though, she'd noticed that he was very withdrawn just lately. Julia's condition was probably responsible for this, the two had been very close. Alonzo was most likely also finding it very hard because he'd never actually formed such a close bond with anyone in his life, Julia was the first person he'd ever gotten close too.

Alonzo could see the look in Devon's eyes even now. The 'I'm sorry the person you were going to spend the rest of your life with is dying, but you'll get over it' look, it made him sick. "Well, thanks for stopping by." He said, forcing a smile. Then to Uly he added. "You get some batting practise in champ, then sometime I'll teach you how to play for real."

"Thanks Alonzo." The boy grinned and swung the bat in response, narrowly missing his mother.

"Be careful with that Ulysses." Devon cautioned, and under her breath added. "What were John and Yale thinking?" Turning her attention back to the pilot, she patted Alonzo on the arm and smiled. "You get better okay, we miss you around the campfire at nights." Seeing Alonzo's puzzled expression, she explained. "Magus and Bess sort of started a nightly tradition. They thought that now that we're actually at New Pacifica that we would all slowly drift apart, so Bess and Magus put their heads together and came up with the campfire. So now every night all of Eden Advance gathers around a campfire outside of the Martin's tent, for you know, a cup of coffee and to talk about what we've been up to."

Alonzo nodded and smiled for real this time. "That's nice, very Bess-like."

"Isn't it?" She laughed. "Bess says that once their house is finished, Morgan and herself would love for us all to visit there every night instead."

"And what does Morgan think about that?"

"Oh you know what Morgan's like, he huffs and puffs, but secretly I think he likes the idea. Anyway, I'll stop by again tomorrow. If I can drag Danziger away from those vehicles for two minutes I'll bring him along too. I'm sure he'll delight in telling you in gory detail about *all* the vehicles he's having to maintain now that the colony ship has brought all our provisions. The thing is he'd complain he was bored if they all ran perfectly. I tell you, you can't win with that man." She told him goodnaturedly. Then ushering Uly ahead, she left the room and shut the door behind her.


A DREAMER'S DREAM (2/3)
by Laura Pickering

After short visits from Baines and Cameron, his supper and a VR game of pool, night-time came around all too soon for Alonzo. The pilot valiantly tried to stay awake. He drank countless cups of coffee (much to the chagrin of Nurse Lewis) and even recited chapters one and two of the Saturn class user manual from memory. These measures proved futile in the end though, by 2am, Solace was sleeping like a baby.

He entered his dream at exactly the same time as he'd left previously. The same, but with one important difference. This time around he seemed to be a spectator rather than a player.

Alonzo could see his other self standing before Julia's gravestone, dog-tags clutched in one hand.

"Julia, where are you?!!" The pilot heard his other self shout, also hearing the desperation in his own voice.

*Okay, this is where I left last time.* Alonzo thought, he was now very curious to see what would happen next.

All that did happen next, was for the cry to be repeated. "Julia! Where are you?" The second time though, the words sounded very different. A sudden chill ran through the pilot's body.

It wasn't his voice.

The person that wasn't him, turned around and faced Alonzo. It was Mitchell.

The military man, didn't see the pilot though, if anything he seemed to stare straight through. This in itself was very unsettling. Focusing on something behind the pilot, Mitchell pushed a hand through his hair, hitched up his khaki military issue pants and strode right past Alonzo.

Alonzo turned to follow the sergeant. Once again he was startled, as the landscape around him changed. In a blur of colour, remininscent of an old VR prototype, the green leavestrewn graveyard, morphed into a barren flatland.

In the background, stood a council shuttle. Four men, wearing full military fatigues were busy packing crates and equipment into the waiting craft. Glancing to his left, Alonzo spotted a pile of crates, two people were slumped against them. They were manacled together.

Mitchell had also spied the couple, with a small smile, he walked over to them.

Alonzo followed - At least he started to follow. He didn't get very far, because his field of vision changed once more. This time though the landscape remained the same, it was only his position that was different.

He was sitting on a very hard ground, eyes closed. Alonzo's eyes burst open, when something at the side of him jerked roughly.

"Come on you two, wake up." A voice ordered.

Looking up, Alonzo was once more faced by Mitchell. The Sergeant offered a cruel smile, before he bent down and gripped Alonzo's upper arm.

"Get your damn hands of me Mitchell." Alonzo growled, or at least it came from Alonzo's mouth. The voice though, didn't belong to the pilot, it belonged to his physician.

*Okay, this is getting very weird*. Alonzo thought. Why was Julia's voice coming from his mouth?!

Wait a minute... Alonzo looked to his right, his own face looked back at him. *Of course!* These memories weren't his, they were Julia's. This was Julia's dream, he was 'in' Julia's dream!

Then he was thrown out...


"I'm telling you Yale, I was *in* Julia's dream." It was the next morning, and as Alonzo looked into the eyes of the old cyborg he suddenly felt very unsure of where he had been that night. "I mean it was strange, I was seeing things only Julia could have seen."

Yale frowned, unsure of how to respond to the obviously confused young man. "Alonzo, whilst experiencing REM, people are want to dream very strange things. Why, I remember dreaming I was the King of England once! You can be the sanest of people, and have the most twisted dreams, its completely natural."

"Yeah? But it felt so real, I thought it *was* real. We were back at the council ship, just before everything happened. You know, me being shot and Mitchell taking Julia. It felt like it was all happening again, only this time I was seeing it through Julia's eyes."

"Like I said, it was just your subconconscious. It was just a dream."

Alonzo nodded, although he was far from convinced. Yes, it may just have been a dream as Yale professed, but he doubted it. The pilot had other ideas on the matter, and he realised that there were others, more in tune with the realm of dreams, that he could seek help from.

"If you want to discuss this further I can come over and see you."

Alonzo shook his head. "No, its okay. You're probably right, it was just a dream. Thanks anyway, Yale."

"My pleasure Alonzo." The Cyborg replied. He smiled before cutting the Gear connection.

To speak to the Terrians, Alonzo realised he had to dream again. There was only one problem with this idea, he wasn't tired. *A sedi-derm* he thought. He needed a sedi-derm, they send a person to sleep straight away. Pushing back the heavy blankets that covered him, Alonzo swung his legs over the side of the bed. His head swam as he stood up, he quickily sat back down again as his vision blurred. Realising that this was the first time he had been out of bed for the better part of two weeks, he gave himself a few moments before trying again. This time his vision remained clear, although he still felt a little dizzy. Alonzo slowly made his way to the door, holding onto anything stable for added support in this seemingly marathon sized walk. By the time he made it to the doorway, the pilot was annoyed to find himself slightly out of breath. After another few moments rest he cautiously opened the door a crack and peeked outside.


Nurse Lewis whistled as she worked, she had to do something, it was just too damn quiet. If she was honest, it was creepy working in this hospital. Medical staff were few and far between, so she often found herself working alone. She didn't mind that, Lewis was rather a private person anyway. No it wasn't that that spooked her, it was the feeling that one of those horrible cadaver looking aliens was going to break through the floor at any given moment, and scare the wits out of her.

With all these thoughts running around her head, it wasn't surprising that she let out a god awful scream, when a hand came down on her shoulder.

As she turned around to face her doom, Lewis' heart skipped a beat, although this time it was for a completely different reason.

"Um...Mr...Er...Solace..."

"Is it? I thought for a moment there my head was missing or something." Alonzo smiled.

*Oh no, your head is still very much intact*. Lewis thought, as she took in every fine feature. "I'm sorry for screaming. You, er, made me jump." The nurse replied, blushing.

"I'm not surprised, is it always so quiet around here?" Alonzo asked in an attempt to make small talk. He was desperately eager to carry on with his plans, but didn't want to risk anything by drawing attention to himself.

"Pretty much. Are you all right Mr Solace, did you need something."

"Call me Alonzo, Mr Solace sounds so 'old'."

Lewis laughed a little too much at this joke and she knew it. *For god's sake, get a grip Susan.* "Okay, Alonzo. What can I do for you?" She asked the pilot evenly.

Alonzo didn't even notice the nurse's obvious infatuation. Which just went to show how much he had changed in two short years. Back on the stations, he would have had the pretty young nurse onto her third drink by now. "Um, I was wondering if I could have a sleep aid or something? I'm having a little trouble getting to sleep."

"Oh right." Lewis was a little disappointed by his request, it didn't exactly match up to what she'd hoped he'd ask for, but then again she hadn't held out much hope for that. She felt a little guilty for drooling over the pilot anyway, she was well aware that his girlfriend was lying in a coma a few doors away. "Sure. Are you having dreams again, because I could give you something that would probably stop them."

"No!" Realising that was a little too forceful, Alonzo tried again. "No, no I'm not having dreams now or anything. It just can't seem to fall asleep."

"Okay, well I can give you a sedi-derm and a couple of capsules. They should last you a day or two."

"Yeah, that'll be great." Alonzo waited patiently while the nurse searched for the aforementioned medication. He offered a smile of thanks as she passed them to him, and then quickly retreated back to his room.


Even though the pilot had entered the dreamplane countless times before, he found the experience disconcerting. It was probably because this time it was imperative that he comes out with some answers to his questions.

Like all the times before, he found himself standing in an empty featureless cave. "Okay, I've not got time for mysterious entrances this time. Just come out and talk to me." Alonzo stated to the walls.

He waited for a further few minutes, the only thoughts occupying his mind being 'How long does a Sedi-derm last??' Finally, a lone terrian errupted from the earth, inches from where Alonzo stood.

"You are healed Dream-walker?"

Impatiently Alonzo answered. "Yeah. Yes I'm fine. I need your help."

The terrian offered no consent, he simply waited for the pilot to continue.

"I need to know, is it possible for me to enter another's dreams."

"You dream with us."

"No, I mean can I dream with another of my own kind. Can I enter a human's dream?"

"If the bond between one and another is strong, then they may dream together."

This was exactly what Alonzo had hoped his guide would say, now all he needed to know was how. "Can you tell me how?"

"It is important to you?"

Alonzo held back a sigh of frustration. "Yes, very. Please you have to tell me how."

"Only you will know how, in your heart."

"No, you have to tell me how. I don't know." The pilot impugned, his calm demeanor rapidly deserting him.

The terrian repeated his cryptic response, before disappearing back beneath the ground.

"You will know." The words echoed in Alonzo's mind, what kind of answer was that?!


The sedi-derm didn't last long. It seemed as soon as the terrian had left the dream, Alonzo woke up. Checking his chronometer though, the pilot realised he'd actually been out for four hours, he was obviously a lot more tired than he'd thought.

Unfortunately, he'd wasted a lot of time, and one of the sedi-derms on his unsuccessful visit with the Terrians. He had two capsules left, and he was determined to put these ones to good use.

Carefully he loaded the sedi-gun with one capsule and pocketed the other.

The corridor outside his room was deserted, luckily it seemed Nurse Lewis was otherwise engaged elsewhere. Out of habit rather than need, the pilot plucked his leather flight jacket off the peg on the door, and shrugged it on. The smell of the leather always had a strangely comforting effect on Alonzo. Taking a deep breath, he opened the door wider and ventured outside his room.

The next step, was to find Julia without being noticed. This was to prove difficult, because he had no actual idea on where she was being kept. The room next to his, turned out to be a broom closet, and the next three doors down were all empty. Getting the distinct impression that lady luck was against him today, the pilot pressed on.

However, as soon as he had found his lover, Alonzo wished he hadn't. The mere sight of her made his heart ache. At first he'd thought she was dead and nobody had had the nerve to tell him. She was so pale, her skin almost translucent.

He crossed over to her, pulling a chair alongside the narrow cot. "Oh Julia, what did they do to you?!" He whispered, his voice cracking slightly.

He reached out a hand to those fragile features, but then drew back. Almost afraid to touch. Bowing his head slightly, Alonzo then did something he hadn't done since he was a small child. He crossed himself. "Please let this work."

The pilot pulled the sedi-derm out of his jacket pocket and held it against his neck. He winced as the first measure of sedative entered his system. Aware that he was going to blank out at any second, Alonzo quickly reloaded the gun. With his free hand he reached across the cot, and took Julia's right hand in his. "I'm coming for you baby."


A DREAMER'S DREAM (3/3)
by Laura Pickering

"Yo, 'Lonz you awake?!" John Danziger called, as he opened the pilot's door. His grin turned to a frown, when he noticed that the hospital cot was empty. The tall mechanic was surprised to find that the young pilot wasn't in bed, and after drawing a blank by checking behind the door, and in the bathroom, he started to get a little concerned. He knew that Devon would have mentioned if Alonzo had been allowed to walk around, as far as John knew, Alonzo was still bed-bound.

A frown still creasing his features, Danziger went back out into the corridor to search for a nurse. As the hospital was a little deserted at this time of the day, it took him five minutes to find someone to help him.

As it happened Nurse Lewis was the person he found, she was knee deep in defunct immuno-suits. As the majority of the syndrome afflicted children had now been cured, they no longer had a use for them. Unfortunately, Nurse Lewis had drawn the short straw, she had been given the task of storing them away.

In a world of her own, and muttering heartily under her breath, the young nurse remained unaware of Danziger's presense as she struggled with the life-preserving uniforms.

Danziger waited patiently for a few moments, thinking that she would notice him. When she made no sign of having seen him, he gently tapped her on the shoulder.

Just like she had those few hours before, Lewis almost jumped out of her skin, at the mechanic's touch. Turning around to face him, the nurse offered John an embarrassed smile. *I have got to stop doing that.* she chided, as her breathing returned to normal once more.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." Danziger apologised. "I'm looking for Alonzo Solace, do you know where he is?"

"Yes, of course. He's in room 2b, its just down the corridor." Lewis pointed in the direction Danziger had just come.

Shaking his head, Danziger elaborated. "No, you don't understand. I know where his room is, but he isn't in it. I wondered if you knew where he'd gone. It's okay if you don't I'll just wait for him to come back." Smiling his thanks, John turned to leave. He stopped when Lewis offered a puzzling response.

"That's strange - for him to have gone I mean. He came to me earlier asking for some sedatives. He said he was having trouble sleeping so I gave him a sedi-derm and three capsules."

"Three capsules? Is it safe for a person to take three at a time?" Danziger asked evenly, as a million warning bells started going off in his head. Devon had mentioned he was very withdrawn earlier...

"Three at a time?! Gosh no. I told him they'd last him a couple of days, he wasn't to take them all at once." Realising what she'd just said, Lewis noticably paled. "Oh my, you don't think..."

"I don't know, but we have to find him quick."


Alonzo found himself in a forest.

Trees surrounded him on every side, and it was dark. Pitch black, the only light was shed by the two moons high above. He held a mag-pro in his hands, its dull coated bulk gave him some comfort in this deserted place.

The pilot walked on and on, he had no destination in mind, and to be honest he had no idea where he was headed. He just had a hunch that he should head north by north east, so he did.

After another ten minutes of trampling through thick underbrush and avoiding ancient twisted trees, Alonzo came to a clearing. A clearing in the woods that he instantly recognised.

Julia's tent sat pitifully alone in the centre of the clearing, he didn't have to look to know that it was empty. If history repeated itself, like he was sure it would, Alonzo knew he would find Julia crounched behind nearby foliage.

With his heart beating hard in his chest, Alonzo slowly made his way over to a tree to his left. "Julia?" The pilot whispered.

He received no reply, only the impatient hooting of a nocturnal creature could be heard.

"Julia, are you here?" He repeated, a little louder this time. Instead of waiting for a response, Alonzo pushed the thick foliage aside.

Julia sat cross-legged on the cold damp ground. The pilot's dog-tag clutched tightly in her hands. "I've been waiting for you 'Lonz." She stated sadly, without looking up at him.

Alonzo was taken aback by her response, he crouched down on the floor before the young doctor. "You have?"

"Yes, I thought you'd have come for me sooner."

"I tried, but I didn't know how." Alonzo reached across and took her hands in his. "I'm sorry." He whispered.

Julia looked up at the pilot. Anger and despair in her eyes. "Why did you leave me Alonzo? You promised that you'd never leave me."

"Julia please, I didn't mean to leave. I would never have left you voluntarily, I couldn't stop them."

The doctor carried on as if she hadn't heard him. "Do you know how important you were to me? I never felt for anyone the way I felt for you."

Alonzo was very perturbed by the way she was speaking. 'You *were* important. The way I *felt*' What did she mean by that? "Julia, I know that. I feel the same way about you, that's why I want you to come with me."

Julia smiled sadly, and with a shaking hand she reached up to cup Alonzo's cheek. "'Lonz, I'd love to come with you, but..." She paused, and caught his eyes with her own. "I'm sorry, I don't think I'm ready for that."

"But why?" Alonzo pleaded softly. "You can't stay here forever. You can't live in a dreamworld."

"Why not? I can't go with you, and I'd rather stay here than go back without you."

Solace frowned. *Go back? Without me?* "Julia, where do you think I am?"

She sighed and rubbed her temples tiredly. "I don't know 'Lonz. I never would have even entertained the idea before coming here, but I've seen such strange things, things that I could never explain. I mean, I don't strictly mean a ghost or anything like that. But this planet, with its metaphysical plane, people have seen weird things. You used to dream with the Terrians, I know Devon had some pretty strange dreams on Uly's birthday. I don't supposed dreaming with a spirit is too far fetched. That is if you're even here at all, I mean I could be dreaming the whole thing, I suppose."

As the pilot listened to Julia's mumbled musings, it became clear to him. "You think I'm dead?"

"Well, what would you call it? Alonzo I saw you die in front of me, remember?"


Danziger ran on ahead, with the nurse breathlessly trying to keep up. On reaching Alonzo's room, he flung the door open. He hoped to god, that the pilot would be lying in bed, and that all this was just a stupid misunderstanding. Unfortunately the hospital cot was as empty as it was previously.

"See, he's not here." Danziger panted, trying to get his breath back.

"Where has he gone do you think?" Lewis asked nervously. *What was I thinking giving an obviously distraught man three sedatives.* She chastened.

"I don't know, but I think I know where to look."


"Julia, I promise you I'm not dead." Alonzo protested, the doctor still didn't look convinced. "Do I look dead to you?"

"No." Julia replied quietly. "That doesn't make any difference though, you're most likely a figment of my masochistic mind."

Alonzo threw his hands up the air. "Julia!" He sighed. "Listen to me, I didn't die when you last saw me. Mitchell shot me yes, and I lost alot of blood, but the Terrians helped me. The Terrians helped save my life. Do you understand, I lived."

"Really?"

"Yes, really." He confirmed.

"Then where are you now?"

"I'm in the hospital at New Pacifica."

"Where am I?"

"You're in the hospital too. I'm with you now, holding your hand."

Julia automatically looked down at her hands and frowned, they lay in her lap. "I'm at New Pacifica? How?"

"Well after Yale and Danziger found me with the Terrian, they took me back to camp. The Colony ship was there already, so I took a shuttle, and your brother and me went after Mitchell and the others."

At the mention of her brother, Julia immediately looked up at the pilot her face questioning. "Joshua? Josh is at New Pacifica too?"

"Yes, he helped me rescue you."

"Josh." She whispered, as if it was some mystical word. "I haven't seen him for years, I didn't think I'd ever see him again."

"Well you can see him now, if you'd only come with me." Alonzo replied, with a smile. His legs groaned their protest as he quickly stood. "Comeon." He said, offering his hand to the young woman.

"But how? I don't even know how I got here, let alone how I get back." Julia responded dispondantly.

"You have to really want it Julia, its all in the mind." The pilot told her. Then thinking of the Terrians advice, he added. "And in your heart."

"That's easy for you to say, you're used to this type of thing." She stood nonetheless, and dusted at her pant legs. "Are you sure about this?"

"Sure about having you back with me?!" He asked. "Of course I am." He reached his hand out to her again, and this time with a little uncertainty, she took it.


"There he is!" Danziger shouted over his shoulder, as he literally threw the door of Julia Heller's hospital room open. John rushed over to the pilot's side and immediately checked for a pulse.

As Nurse Lewis arrived in the room, she was shocked to see the body of Alonzo Solace sitting slumped in a chair at Dr Heller's bedside. "Is he...?"

"He's alive, but his pulse is very faint."

"Do you think he *did* try to kill himself." Lewis asked softly, her voice cracking slightly.

Danziger turned around to regard the young nurse. "Hey, its not your fault, so don't even think it. You were just doing your job, you couldn't have known he was going to try something like this."

Lewis nodded her head slowly, she still felt responsible no matter what the mechanic said. Clearing her mind of the reprimands that were likely to come later, she rushed over to the unconscious pilot's side. "We have to flush the sedatives out of his system, he can't have been unconscious for too long it may still be possible to pull him out of it."

"Okay, what do you want me to do?" Danziger asked, as he watched the nurse frantically sort through her med-kit.

"Can you hold him steady while I inject him with this?" She asked, as she undid a vial of pinkish liquid.

Danziger nodded, he tightly held onto the pilot's arm while the nurse readied the needle. A frown of concentration creased the young woman's brow, as she bent over the pilot's inert form. She gave a commentary as she worked.

"Okay, I'm going to inject him with this, its called Adrenomine." She explained holding up a needle filled with the pink serum. Lewis roughly pushed up the sleeve of Alonzo's flight jacket, and slapped his bare arm. Once she's found a vein, she inserted the needle. "This should give his body a jump start so to speak, and should hopefully bring him out of his current state of unconsciousness." Looking over her shoulder, Lewis smiled grimly at the mechanic. "Keep your fingers crossed."

Danziger stepped back when Lewis finished, intently watching for any change in his friend's condition. He felt a trickle of perspiration run down his cheek, and impatiently swatted at it with his sleeve. "How long will it take to work?"

"It should be almost instantan..." Lewis' reply was cut short when the pilot cried out loud, causing them both to jump.

"Noooo!"

"'Lonz, its okay its me Danziger. You're gonna be okay."

Alonzo looked up at the mechanic with blurred eyes. "Where am I?"

"You're in the hospital, you took too many sedatives but you'll be alright now." Lewis explained softly.

"No! No, please you have to put me back under. I almost had her." The young pilot begged.

"Calm down okay. Almost had who 'Lonz?" John asked.

"Julia!" The pilot answered sharply. "I almost had her then, you have to put me back to sleep."

"I'm afraid I can't do that Alonzo. Its alright, you were just dreaming, look Dr Heller is right here." Lewis told him, resting a hand on his arm in reassurance.

Alonzo pulled his arm away in disgust. "Why the hell did you wake me up? I knew what I was doing, I went to find Julia, to bring her back. She won't be able to find her way out without me, I may have lost her for ever."

Danziger frowned, the pilot wasn't making any sense, he may even be dilerious from the drugs. He was just about to suggest this to Nurse Lewis, when Solace jumped up from the chair.

"You have to give me another sedi-derm." He demanded, grabbing Lewis' arm.

"Mr Solace please calm down." Susan implored, suddenly scared by the pilot's behavior.

"Let her go Solace." Danziger instructed stepping closer to the two. "Sit down and take a breath okay, your obviously a little dis-orientated."

Alonzo grabbed the Nurse's other arm and forced her to look at him. "Listen, you have to put me back under. Now!"

"Let go of her now, man." Danziger growled, grabbing the pilot's arm. Alonzo turned his attention away from Lewis and glared at the mechanic, reaching down he pulled John's hand off his arm and tried to push him away. As he still wasn't in A1 condition, his shove had little effect on the bigger man. Danziger wrenched Alonzo's hands off of Lewis arms, and pushed the pilot backward.

Stumbling over the chair behind him, Solace lost his balance completely, and tumbled over onto the cot.

"You son of a bitch, you did that on purpose." Alonzo snarled unreasonably. With trembling hands he lifted himself up and off the cot. The force of his weight had made Julia move onto the edge of the bed. "Look what you made me do." He said quietly, all traces of anger had left him as quickly as it had come. Bending over he scooped Julia into his arms and lifted her back into bed. His vision blurred as his eyes filled with tears.

Danziger didn't know what to do. He had always found it easier to deal with anger, than hurt. Standing awkwardly between the pilot and the nurse, he said. "She's all right Alonzo, you didn't hurt her." Gaining Lewis's attention, he motioned for her to go over to the cot. "Nurse Lewis can check on her if you'd like."

Alonzo nodded his head, which caused a few stray tears to fall onto Julia's blanket. Standing back, he allowed Lewis to examine Julia. "I'm sorry." He whispered to the medic.

Susan gave him a small smile as she fitted a dia-glove onto her arm. She was all prepared to assure the pilot that Julia's condition hadn't changed, when she realised it had. Nervously biting at her bottom lip, Lewis turned to face Alonzo.

Noticing the Nurse's uncertainty, Alonzo felt a stab of panic. "What is it?"

"I don't know. Her readings have changed." Looking to Danziger, she asked. "Can you please find Dr Vasquez. I'm not sure, but I think she's coming out of her coma."


Alonzo's was awakened from his light doze, when his gear bleeped. After tiredly rubbing at his eyes, he reached up, pulled the Visual feed over his eyes and opened the channel.

An equally tired looking Joshua Heller looked back at the pilot. Ever since Dr Vasquez's confirmation that Julia was indeed pulling out of her Coma, the younger Heller had been calling Alonzo every half an hour for an update.

"Still no change yet, man." Solace told him. "I promise as soon as she shows some change you'll be the first to know."

Josh didn't try to hide his disappointment, it was pointless he knew Solace felt the same way. "I can't believe I'm out hunting for a stupid Cargo pod, when Julia finally shows some improvement." The young man complained. "I'm on my way back, but Cameron reckons it'll take us at least another two hours to get back to camp."

"Okay, take care." Alonzo told the young man who he was already starting to think of as a close friend. "Solace out."

Pulling the gear off his head, Alonzo tilted his head from side to side in an attempt to loosen up his stiff neck. He then proceeded to stretch his aching limbs. He was so focussed in this exercise, that he hardly heard the quiet voice.

"Alonzo?"

"Yes?" Alonzo replied as he turned to the doorway. He frowned when he saw that the door was shut, he could have sworn he heard a voice.

"'Lonz?" The voice repeated, hoarsely.

Solace stopped dead when he realised where the voice was coming from. With wide eyes, he hurried over to the cot. "Julia?" He asked nervously.

The young doctor coughed lightly when she tried to reply. Alonzo's chest tightened. With a fair amount of effort. Julia opened her eyes, and looked at the pilot. "Hey 'Lonzo." She said weakly with the barest hint of a smile she could manage.

-The End-


MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!

This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.