FOREVER
By
Margaret A. Czarney


Timeline: On way to New Pacifica
Author's E-Mail: mczarney@jcvaxa.jcu.edu or mcstarlight@hotmail.com


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of the people who commented on my first story. I really appreciated your comments. This story follows "It Happened One Night". It's set two or three weeks after that story. I wouldn't have got this done so fast if it wasn't for hearing that Bryan Adams song on the radio. When I heard that song, the first thing I thought was "Devon and Danziger." I hope you enjoy it. Comments are welcome at (mczarney@jcvaxa.jcu.edu) or (mcstarlight@hotmail.com)

NOTES: Text enclosed in ~ ~ are thoughts Earth 2 and its wonderful characters belong to Amblin Entertainment The song is "I'll Always Be Right There" and it belongs to Bryan Adams.

ARCHIVER'S NOTE: Thoughts are here in italics.--Andy


Forever
by Margaret A. Czarney

Alonzo was aggravated. ~Danziger's been pacing for over twenty minutes now. Enough is enough.~ "John, will you sit down and relax already."

"Look, if I want to wear a rut in the ground, that's my business."

"There's nothing to be nervous about, John."

"Who's nervous?" John said, "I'm just...passing time."

~Who does he think he's fooling?~ "Yeah, well could you pass time sitting down please? We don't want you to wear yourself out," Alonzo said with a smile.

John shot Alonzo a look that clearly said 'Shut your mouth or I'll shut it for you' and continued pacing back and forth in the same small area of the tent.

Alonzo leaned back and sighed. ~I give up. I guess I can't blame him for being nervous, though.~

The sound of footsteps running toward the tent startled both men. Danziger moved to see who it was, but Alonzo jumped up and directed, "Sit down, John. I will see who it is." His tone of voice left no room for argument.

John reluctantly settled down on the stool that Alonzo had just vacated while Alonzo crossed the short distance to the tent flap and saw who was there.

True and Uly stood outside. "Hi Alonzo, hi Dad," True said as they entered the tent, "Uly got bored and they told me to tell you that it'll be a little while longer yet," she said, explaining the purpose of their visit.

"Oh, come on," John said, rising from his seat, "how much longer is it going to take?"

True considered her dad. His face held an expression caught somewhere between annoyance and nervousness. ~He's definitely nervous. *Parents*~ "Dad, there's really nothing to be nervous about." Alonzo stifled a grin at the surprised expression that appeared on John's face. "I gotta get back now. See ya later." With a quick wave, True was out the door.

"Bye, True," Alonzo called after the girl rushing across camp and looked at John with a pleased expression on his face.

John glanced at Alonzo and sighed at the knowing look he found on his face. "All right, I'm nervous. Are you happy now?"

"Yeah, actually I am," Alonzo said with a grin.

Uly spoke up. "Why are you nervous?"

Alonzo answered, "Can't be helped, Uly. Every guy gets nervous at this point. John more than most, apparently."

John ignored Alonzo and turned to Uly. "So what brings you here? I thought you wanted to stay with your mom and the rest of them."

Uly grimiced. "I did, but all they were doing was girl stuff. I got sick of it."

John, amused at Uly's discomfort, glanced at Alonzo and both men started laughing. "Sorry Uly, we should have warned you. Women do a lot of that stuff at times like these."

Uly smiled. "That's okay, I forgive you." This caused some more laughter. "I just wanted to get out of there, that's all."

"Well, you're welcome to wait with us," Alonzo said, "but the only entertainment is watching John have a nervous breakdown."

John shot Alonzo another look while Uly let out a short laugh. "I am not having a nervous breakdown."

"Well, sure, you're not having one now. You should have seen him before you and True stopped by, Uly. He was practically climbing the walls."

Something occurred to John. "Hey Uly, why did True come down with you? You could have given us the message just as easily as True did."

"True wanted to come down to see how you were doing," Uly said. "I think she was sort of worried about you."

That statement brought an amused smile to John's face. "You know, sometimes I get the feeling that she's the one taking care of me."

Alonzo replied, "Hey, kids always worry about their parents, and they always will. She just shows it a little more than other kids. I bet Uly worries about his mom, too. Right, buddy?"

"Well, yeah, I guess. Especially when she's sick, like that time when we had to put her in cold sleep."

A sudden feeling of fear wrapped itself around John's heart, as it always did when he thought back to that horrible time when they did not know if they could find a cure for Devon's mysterious illness. He sank back down onto the stool. ~Oh God, I came so close to losing her. What would I have done if she died? She wouldn't have even known how I felt about her. Heck, I didn't even really know myself until there was a real possibility of not having her in my life.~

John remembered how he visited Devon while she was in cold sleep and talked to her. He knew she couldn't hear him, but he needed to be there. He needed to see her, to hold onto the hope that she could be well again, even though that seemed like a remote possibility at the time. Most of the time, he talked about how the group was doing or the progress Julia was making in developing a cure. He remembered the one afternoon he could no longer deal with the emotions he was feeling and lashed out at her.

"Damn it, Devon!" John was standing and facing Devon's cold sleep chamber and yelling at her. "Why did you have to stick me with leading this group? That's your job! I never asked for this! I don't even know what I'm doing! And why did you ask me to rais your son for you? Me, of all people! Even if I didn't have my hands full with True, why not ask someone else? Like Yale! He's practically Uly's father anyway! Darn you Devon! Why are you leaving all this stuff for me to take care of?!?" Tears appeared in his eyes, threatening to spill over, as they had since the beginning of this dreadful time. "Why are you leaving me?" he said quietly, his voice breaking. "I can't do this without you. I just don't know how. Geez, I can't even pull myself together, much less the rest of the group. Can't you see how your leaving would mess me up? Didn't you notice how much I've come to rely on your strength and enjoy your company, even with your stubborness?" The tears which John had held back for so long now fell freely as he realized something. He took a deep breath. "Devon, I love you. I think I must have been in love with you from the moment I saw you on the ship. I know you were different, that you had the same kind of fire for life that Elle did. I could see it in your eyes. These months we've spent on the planet just made it that much clearer that I'm head over heels in love with you." Anger appeared in his voice again. "And now you're leaving me, just like she did!!" John sank down, leaned against the cold sleep chamber, and wept for a long time. He eventually cried himself asleep. When he awoke it was much later, and the stars were shining outside. Just before leaving, he once again addressed the chamber that held the woman he loved. "Devon, you know I didn't mean any of it." His voice grew quiet again. "Except the part about my love for you. Please come back to me, Devon."

Shortly after that, Julia found the cure for Devon's illness. He had never been so relieved or happy in his life, with the possible exception of when he held his perfectly healthy daughter in his arms for the first time.

Alonzo glanced worriedly at the troubled expression on John's face. ~Why did Uly bring up that subject? Now John might really have a nervous breakdown. Time to change the subject.~

Just as Alonzo opened his mouth to speak, True came running into the tent and looked at all of them. "Well, what are you guys waiting for? We're almost ready! Come on!"

"True, you and Uly go on, okay? I'm gonna talk to your dad for a minute."

True eyed Alonzo suspiciously and said, "Okay, but don't take too long." She grabbed Uly's arm and practically dragged him out of the tent.

"Hey John," Alonzo said, "are you okay?"

"Yeah, 'Lonz, I'm fine. It's just..." John paused, gathering his thoughts. "I sometimes can't help feeling that this is all a dream and when I wake up, she'll really be gone."

"Well, it's not a dream. Do you want me to hit you to make sure?"

John looked at Alonzo with a questioning gaze. "I thought that you pinched someone to tell if they were dreaming."

"Well, yeah, but I'm always looking for ways to return the 'favor' you did me in the Spider Cave."

John smiled slightly and shook his head. "Come on, we better get going before True comes back."

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes, mother, I'm fine. Now let's get going already." John spoke sarcastically. He was still feeling afraid inside, but he fought not to let it show.

As Alonzo and he moved to take their places, John's mind wandered. ~What if I still lose her? I don't think I could take it if something happened to her, especially now. Stop it, John.~ he ordered himself. ~Nothing is going to happen to Devon anymore. Now calm down.~ However, the feeling refused to go away. It remained at the back of his thoughts, taunting him. ~If this keeps up, I might really have a nervous breakdown.~ John was distracted from his thoughts as the music started playing. ~Here we go.~ he thought nervously, as he tugged on his shirt to straighten it.

True came down the aisle firs, carrying, like the other bridesmaids, a bouquet of flowers that resembled the orchids of Earth. The other bridesmaid, Bess, followed True, and wore a smile that showed she was clearly enjoying herself. Julia came next, being last as she was the maid of honor. Alonzo gave her a big smile as she took her place across from them at the front of the area they had arranged for this occasion.

The wedding march started. John took another deep breath. He was growing more and more nervous, and the voice in the back of his head was growing louder with each passing second. Then Devon appeared and started to walk down the aisle. Devon was in a simple white dress, made from material the women had found somewhere. She had a crown of tiny white flowers in her hair, which was pulled back, away from her face. She caught John's eye and smiled at him.

John's heart skipped a beat as he watched Devon walk down the aisle toward him. All of his nervousness, doubts, and fears disappeared as he looked at Devon and returned her smile. Only one thought remained in his mind. ~She is the most beautiful woman in the world.~ When Devon reached him, he took her arm and they turned to face Yale.

"My friends, we are gathered here to join Devon and John in marriage. They have chosen to pledge themselves to each other for life." After that, John could no longer focus on Yale's words and the rest of the ceremony was a blur. Yale's voice broke through the haze when he said, "I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride." John, needing no further encouragement, looked at Devon. "I love you," he whispered. "I love you, too," Devon replied as her new husband bent to kiss her. As they shared a long kiss, John was certain that nothing would ever be able to seperate him from the woman he loved. After what seemed like a sweet eternity, the kiss ended and they walked hand in hand down the aisle accompanied by the applause and cheers of their friends.

Devon and John led the way to the reception area. They decided not to have the reception in VR. Both of them felt that VR wasn't quite real enough for them. The agreed that the valley near their campsite would be a perfect setting for the reception. Bess and Julia had prepared a wonderful meal. Everyone laughed, talked, and had a good time. When the meal was over, Yale stood. "Everyone, can I have your attention, please." Everyone turned to look at him. "If the new couple would please take the dance floor, I've chosen a special song for their first dance together as husband and wife that seems to suit them." Devon and John, slightly confused, took the dance floor and began to dance as the first strains of music began.

"I swear to you
I will always be there for you
There's nothing I won't do
I promise you
All my life I will live for you
We will make it through

Forever - we will be
Together - you and me
Oh and when I hold you - nothing can compare With all of my heart you know I'll always be - right there"

John looked down at his wife and could not believe how perfectly this song could express his feelings for her. He silently vowed to always be there for her. He pulled her closer and gently kissed her hair.

"I believe in us
Nothing else could ever mean so much
You're the one I trust
Our time has come
We're not two people
Now, we are one
You're second to none

Forever - we will be
Together - a family
The more I get to know you - nothing can compare With all of my heart you know I'll always be - right there"

Deovn rested her head on John's shoulder. Yale was right. This song somehow perfectly described her relationship with John and their feelings for each other. They were two halves of a whole. Together, they were much stronger than they were apart.

"Forever - we will be
Together - just you and me
The more I get to know you - the more I really care With all of my heart you know I'll always be . . . You know I really love you - nothing can compare For all of my life, you know I'll always be . . . right there"

As the song ended, Devon looked up into John's eyes and saw the promise of love that she knew was reflected in her own eyes. When John bent to kiss Devon, Yale smiled at the couple as he watched from the sidelines. As a new song began, other couples drifted out onto the area that had become the dance floor, but John and Devon barely noticed them. They moved across the dance floor, two souls now united as one, forever.

-The End-




This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.