SECOND IMPRESSIONS
By
Mary Brick


Timeline: On way to New Pacifica
Author's E-Mail: maryb@mitretek.org


AUTHOR'S NOTES:

Dear Edenites:

A few words (or not so few as the case may be) before we begin.

This story takes place after "All About Eve". Devon is out of cold-freeze with no apparent side-effects. My theory is she got a hold of some bad Grendler meat and got the stomachache from hell. Once the group realized what Devon's last meal was before she collapsed, Julia took her out of the freezer. Devon threw up and all was well.

As you might suspect, this is a Morgan story. And, yes, Morgan comes out smelling like a rose. If you don't like to see Morgan as the good guy, I suggest you give this story a skip.

I must thank several people for their incredible help. Nancy Meier, Vicky Nickerson, Laura Pickering, and Ann and John White...thank you from the bottom of my heart for your comments, suggestions, and most especially for your support and encouragement. I could not have written this story without you.

I dedicate this story to several people. The first is a very special group...The Earth 2 Fan-Fiction Writers. Believe me, writing a fan-fic story was the furthest thing from my mind. I tried writing fiction years ago and met with disastrous results. And the quality of your stories impressed the hell out of me. That made me even more certain that I would forever enjoy reading your stories but would never be able to write one of my own. But many of you told me over and over "Sure you can do it. Sure you can write a story." Well, when the idea for this story popped into my head (and then wouldn't leave no matter how hard I tried to ignore it), I took you at your word. For better or worse, this is the result.

And, of course, I dedicate this story to Mr. John Gegenhuber. He softened Morgan's edges and gave us a character that we understood, laughed at, raged against, learned to like, and in some cases, even learned to love. And, as is always the case, where there is Morgan, you must have Bess. And so I dedicate this story to Ms. Rebecca Gayheart, who gave us a character that was very special in her own right as well as a way to see through to the heart of Morgan Martin.

Feedback of any and all sorts will be *greatly* appreciated.

If you feel strongly about reproducing this story in any form (other than as a printout to take home and line your birdcage/catbox/whatever with), my permission is needed. I will be so stunned that I will most certainly give it, but I want to be asked anyway.

Oh, and one more thing. The characters in this story are the property of Universal/Amblin' Entertainment. No copyright infringement is intended.

And now, without further ado, I present to you...


SECOND IMPRESSIONS (1/4)
by Mary Brick

PROLOGUE

Bess Martin: *****It's funny what life holds in store for a person. It can suddenly present you with lessons you never even knew you needed to learn. All of us, in one way or another, have discovered that truth. None more so than my husband. The man who took me from my home with barely a backward glance, who lived a pampered and spoiled existence, who tried to manipulate circumstances to his will and damn the consequences, has discovered that his desires aren't all that matter. He's learned this lesson slowly and sometimes at great cost. But learn it he has. However, a first impression is a tricky thing to overcome. Changing that is sometimes another lesson...to be learned by others.*****


Two bright moons rose once again over the latest Eden Advance campsite making the surrounding mountains and trees nothing more than dark silhouettes in the background. A soft breeze gently blew the flames of the central campfire. Dinner was finished and the children had been put to bed. Their second winter was nearing and the nights were getting cooler. However, without the luxury of the biodome, the adults huddled around the campfire to talk about the days ahead and the plans to be made.

"By my best calculation, at our present rate, New Pacifica is one and a half to two months away," Yale said. "However, winter is only four to five weeks away. Considering we are traveling at a higher altitude at the present time, I see no reason to believe that we won't be in for at least as harsh a winter as last year."

Devon looked around the group. "Well, then, I see that we have only two options. We either push ourselves, and the vehicles, at an even greater pace to beat the winter, or we find a place to make camp soon and wait until spring to get to New Pacifica."

Alonzo looked at Devon with mild surprise. "Devon, I'm surprised that you would consider stopping for the winter again, considering we are so close to your goal."

Devon shook her head. "It will do us no good to push to get to New Pacifica if we can't get there safely. We were lucky to find the biodome last year. We can't count on that happening again."

"Devon's right," Baines concurred. "We should find a safe place for a winter camp and we should find it now. Since we know what winters are like here, we should take the time to prepare proper shelters. New Pacifica will still be there in the spring."

Julia looked over at Yale. "Have you figured out how much extra we would have to travel each day to make it to New Pacifica before winter fully set in?"

"Depending on the weather, of course, and the terrain, I would say about 5 to 10 extra kilometers a day over what we have been averaging," Yale replied. "And that would not leave us time for any breaks. We would have to push pretty much straight through."

Danziger shook his head. "No way. The vehicles would never make it. At that pace, we'd have them completely burned out in less than a month."

"So, what are you suggesting?" Morgan piped up. "That we waste another three or four months just sitting around? I say we push on the best we can and try to make it to New Pacifica before winter hits."

"What difference does it make where we wait?" Danziger countered. "If we make it before the winter sets in, we'd still have to wait out the worst of the weather before we could start building anything."

"But New Pacifica's on the coast," Morgan argued. "The winter there can't be as bad as where we were last year."

"So what's your point, Martin?" Danziger asked sarcastically.

Morgan looked at Danziger as if the answer were painfully obvious. "My point is," he huffed, "if we make it to New Pacifica now, we could start building during the good weather we have. Otherwise, we'd just be sitting around doing nothing in camp waiting out the winter and wasting our time."

Walman looked up from his coffee cup. "What makes you so certain that the winter at New Pacifica won't be so bad?" he challenged.

"Don't you remember the Grendler who came to us last winter? The one from the spider tunnels?" Morgan replied as if speaking to a child. "He obviously came from New Pacifica. He also had fresh fruit that was growing there in spite of the fact that it was winter where we were. That proves to me that winter there isn't bad at all."

"But we can't be sure that he came from New Pacifica," Magus countered.

Morgan sighed. "Well, he had the chip from the com dish we set down at New Pacifica. That seems like pretty good proof to me. So, unless the com dish isn't at New Pacifica, I'd say that's where the Grendler came from, *with* fresh fruit that grows in a *mild* climate."

"Wait a minute," Julia interjected. "We were never able to figure out how those tunnels worked. That fruit could've come from anywhere."

"What are you saying, Julia?" Morgan argued. "The fruit and the chip were together. Why wouldn't they have come from the same place?"

"The Grendlers obviously know how to travel the spider tunnels," Julia explained. "This may be stretching it, but the Grendler could have gotten the fruit from one place and the chip from another place. Then came to us. We don't know for sure that both items came from the same place."

Morgan sighed. "But we don't know that they didn't, either."

Bess put her arm around Morgan. "I think Morgan's right," she said. Morgan rewarded her support with a smile and a pat on the knee. "I think we should push on. The weather can only get better the closer we get to New Pacifica. What've we got to lose?"

"If those vehicles burn out before we get to New Pacifica," Danziger answered, "We have an awful lot to lose. Not the least of which is our lives."

Morgan looked across the fire to where Danziger sat. "I think you are being a bit overdramatic, Danziger, not to mention a bit overprotective of those vehicles."

Danziger looked at Morgan as if he had just discovered a new species of insect and didn't think much of its chance for survival. "Martin, I'm responsible for those vehicles. I'm the one with the final say on what they can and cannot do. I also know that those vehicles are our only chance of getting to New Pacifica in one piece. I'm not about to let your sudden passion to get there ruin the best chance we have of doing just that."

"Danziger, if I recall correctly, you were all set last winter to go on a long-range scout to get to New Pacifica faster. Now you're just will to sit this one out?" Morgan argued.

Danziger took a deep breath, barely controlling himself. "Yes, I was. But that wasn't at the expense of the vehicles."

"The vehicles," Morgan said, rolling his eyes. "It's always the vehicles with you."

"Martin, I've had just about enough..." Danziger started by was interrupted by Devon. "OK, everyone. We know the situation and the risks involved. Let's put it to a vote. All in favor for pressing on until we can find a suitable winter camp, raise your hands."

Danziger, Walman, and Magus' hands shot right up. Julia and Alonzo exchanged glances, then slowly raised their hands. One by one the rest of Eden Advance raised their hands, with the exception of Morgan and Bess.

Devon nodded. "OK. We set out tomorrow and keep an eye out for good locations to camp for the winter."

Morgan's face fell. With a barely concealed sigh of resignation, he stood and walked away from the campfire. Bess' eyes followed his retreating figure, pain and indignation alternating on her expressive face. After Morgan entered their tent, Bess turned to face Danziger, eyes flashing with anger.

"I have had it with you, John Danziger. How dare you treat Morgan that way? He's entitled to his opinion just like everyone else. He was only trying to help," she said, the force of her anger causing her words to come out clipped and short.

Danziger looked at her with mouth agape, stunned that normally meek Bess would suddenly explode like this. "What are....?" he started.

"Look," Bess interrupted. "Ever since we crashed onto this planet, you've had it in for Morgan." She looked around at the group. "All of you have in one way or another. Nothing he does is ever good enough. I'll grant you that when we got here he made some mistakes..."

At this Walman let out a derisive 'right'.

"...but he's doing his best," Bess continued, her anger even more enflamed. "You all have insisted that he grow up, take more responsibility, be more of a team player. Well, in case you haven't notice, he's done all that. He packs and unpacks his share of camp and when we travel he walks more often that he rides. He takes his turn cooking and guarding the camp, and he takes his share of the scouting trip." She turned to face Danziger. "In addition, he maintains the computer equipment that breaks down just as much as the vehicles do."

Bess addressed the group again. "Have any of you noticed how little time he is spending in VR lately? Certainly no more than any of you take time for personal relaxation. Have any of you notice that?" She picked up a twig and began methodically breaking it into little pieces. "No. All you people notice are the times he disagrees with you. All you notice are the times he isn't working. Morgan had the greatest adjustment to make to this planet. He accomplished that change without encouragement from any of you."

Bess stood up and stared down each stunned face, pointing her finger at each one as she spoke. "Well, I think you all need to make some changes. You need to grow up. You need to realize that your first impressions aren't valid anymore. It's easy to demand change in someone else. How dare you not make changes in yourselves that are just as necessary?" She threw the last of the twig into the fire. "You all think you are so grown up, so mature. Hell, I've seen the children act more mature than you."

Bess let out a small sigh, her anger spent. She looked up at the sky, as if contemplating her next statement carefully, then looked back at the group. "Y'know, Julia was a member of the Council. She spied on us." Alonzo started to speak, but Bess cut him off. "Yet she was allowed to redeem herself and rightly so. Why can't you afford Morgan the same opportunity?" With that, she turned her back on the group and rushed to her and Morgan's tent.

As Bess disappeared inside the tent, a stunned silence fell over the camp. Danziger looked around at the group. "What did I say?" he asked, sincerely puzzled.

Devon sighed. "Well, you are always very hard on Morgan. I think this was just the straw that broke Bess' back."

The mechanic's mouth dropped open. He looked at Devon like she was crazy. "But," he countered, "was I *wrong*?"

"No," Devon conceded. "You just weren't very diplomatic."

Baines stared at Devon. "Well, y'know, Devon. Morgan isn't the most diplomatic person either," he said, rolling his eyes. "Especially considering he's a politician."

Devon smiled. "That may be true. However, Morgan has changed a great deal since we got here. I don't think we've given him credit for that. We still treat him as if everything he says and does is suspect."

Danziger snorted. "Well, maybe that's because I *am* suspicious of everything he says and does." Walman and Magus laughed. It was obvious that they agreed with Danziger.

"All right," Devon said, casting an admonishing look at Danziger who refused to look chagrined. "We have a long day ahead of us. Cameron, you're on guard duty tonight. As for the rest of us, I suggest we get some sleep."

With that, the group broke up and went their separate ways.

CONTINUED...


SECOND IMPRESSIONS (2/4)
by Mary Brick

Morgan was sitting on the edge of the bed when Bess entered. He looked up at her, trying not to look as dejected as he felt. Bess's angry expression dissolved into one of compassion for her misunderstood husband. She sat down next to him, put her arms around his waist, and snuggled into the curve of his body.

"Honey, don't let them get you down. They don't know what they're talking about," she said consolingly.

Morgan sighed deeply and, putting an arm around his wife, shook his had. "I don't know what to do. It's like I take one step forward and a thousand steps back," he whispered into her hair. "Nothing I do is ever good enough."

Bess straightened up and looked her husband straight in the eyes. "Morgan, you don't have to prove yourself to anyone. *I* know you've changed. *I* know you're trying. That's all that matters. If these people can't see that or admit that, then too bad. We don't have to have any more to do with them than is absolutely necessary."

A rueful smile played at the corner of Morgan's mouth. "Ah, Bess, yes we do. Especially if we plan to stay on G889 after the colony ship leaves. We can't very well become hermits."

"Well, then," Bess replied. "We don't have to stay here. We can always go back to the Stations."

Morgan looked at his wife, shocked. "Bess, do you know what you're saying?" he protested. "I thought you wanted to stay here. I thought you loved it here. I know you certainly like this planet better than the Stations."

Bess shook her head emphatically. "Morgan, it's not worth it. It's not worth staying here if we have to fight these people every step of the way. On the Stations you had a good job. You were respected for the things you did. We had friends who appreciated us. We don't need this. G889 apparently hasn't turned out to be Eden for either of us." With a sigh, Bess got up to dress for bed. Morgan just sat where he was, wondering what had come over his wife.


Breakfast the next morning was a quiet affair. Bess helped prepare the meal, as was her custom, but in a silence which was not. She took her and Morgan's breakfast to their tent so they wouldn't have to eat with the group. It was just too awkward. When breakfast was done and the camp packed up, Eden Advance once again set out on their journey to New Pacifica. Bess and Morgan walked hand in hand behind the last of the group. They saw heads bent in discussion and furtive glances cast their way, but the couple maintained their distance.

It was a very long morning.


By mid-afternoon, an unseasonably hot sun beat down on the group. Finding a stand of trees that afforded some shade, Devon called for a break. The group set up for lunch. Cold leftovers from dinner the night before were passed around, and everyone found a comfortable place to eat and rest. Bess and Morgan found a large shade tree apart from the others and took their meal there.

"I don't understand this, Bess," Morgan said, gesturing to the group seated together. "Everyone seems to be especially avoiding us today."

Bess took a deep breath and told Morgan about the rant she went on the night before. Morgan's first reaction was anger that Bess felt she had to defend him yet again. That was quickly followed by shame, similar to the shame he felt when Bess 'confessed' for him the story about taking the escape pod.

"Oh, Bess," Morgan said. "I know you meant well, but how am I ever going to fit in when it always appears that I'm hiding behind you; using you for a shield against the big, bad world?"

Bess hugged Morgan tightly then looked at him, her eyes wide with emotion. "Morgan, it just came out before I could stop it. I couldn't help it. I can't stand the way they are treating you. I keep remembering how you stood by me when I had the flower pollen in me. I just had to do the same for you." Noting his doubtful expression, she continued. "We are a team, Morgan. And that means defending my husband when he's being treated wrong, just like you defended me."

Morgan sighed and turned to look out over the horizon. "Well, they aren't going to see it that way. They're going to see sad, ineffectual Morgan Martin being propped up by his wife...again."

Bess put her had under Morgan's chin and turned his head to face hers. "Morgan, you have to stop thinking so negatively about yourself. If you don't, how do you expect anyone else to? It's OK to accept this kind of help from others, especially your wife."

Morgan's face softened as he looked at Bess. "What did I ever do to deserve a wife like you?"

Bess leaned over and kissed Morgan playfully on the lips. "You love me, Morgan Martin," she said, smiling. "It's what you do best."


When lunch was over, the group packed up and resumed their journey. The terrain was relatively flat, with small stands of trees dotting the landscape. Danziger and Julia took the dunerail ahead to scout for a location to stop for the night.

As Danziger drove, Julia's mind wandered back to the scene from the previous night. She had never given Morgan Martin much thought before, except to grimace at the memory of all the times he sought her out for medical advice to cure his non-existent ailments. But Bess' words got her re-evaluating her previous opinion. Morgan may never be her favorite person, but she realized he was less of a thorn in her side lately. Maybe it was time for the rest of the group to re-evaluate their first impression, too.

With that though in mind, Julia glanced over at Danziger. "You know," she said to break the long silence. "Bess was right about what she said last night."

"Julia, I really don't want to go into that right now," Danziger replied. "We have other things to worry about."

"No, John, we need to talk about it," the young doctor insisted. "This group looks up to you for guidance." Danziger gave her an 'I don't need this' look, but Julia pressed on. "Whether you like it or not, they do. If you keep badgering Morgan the way you have, no-one else is going to be likely to change the way they act either."

"I think everyone here is old enough to do what they think is right, Julia," Danziger said sarcastically. "Maybe they feel the same way I do."

Julia looked at Danziger. "But, John, even you have to admit that Morgan has made progress this last year. That deserves a little acknowledgment."

"Maybe it looks like that because he hasn't been given the opportunity to screw up lately," the mechanic said derisively. "I'm sure it's just a matter of time before Morgan pulls the big one."

"John, you're not being fair," Julia protested.

Danziger put up a hand to stop her. "I don't have to be fair," he stated emphatically. "I saw him take an escape pod meant for 13 people with only 2 in it. Him and Bess. I saw him nearly sacrifice Yale to atone for his greed. I saw him kill I don't know how many people on Bennett's ship for no more reason than someone in *VR* told him to unfreeze them."

"And we all would have died if he hadn't," Julia insisted. "We would have died slowly and painfully when those biochips began to go offline - taking us with them."

Danziger looked at Julia in amazement. "Are you defending what he did?"

"John," Julia argued, "it wouldn't have mattered *who* released those people from the cryochambers. They would have thawed or died regardless. The fact that *Morgan* was the one who did it is blinding you to that fact."

Danziger gave Julia a stubborn look. "Look, I say he's not changed; he's just got a guilty conscience. Morgan Martin only thinks of himself." Julia shook her head in disagreement, but Danziger continued. "Trust me, his true colors will show themselves again."

With that, Danziger sped up the 'rail, effectively putting an end to the conversation.


The rest of the afternoon was a mirror of the morning. Bess and Morgan continued to walk apart from the group. As evening approached, the caravan halted for the night. Bess and Morgan set up their tent. After securing some rations, they retreated inside for the night. Morgan fidgeted with his food, not really having much of an appetite. Bess reach over and ruffled his hair, loosening his ponytail from its tie. Morgan smiled at her but continued playing with the spirulina package.

Bess put her food down, stood up, and reached for her case. She looked at Morgan with an impish smile on her face. "Morgan, turn around."

Morgan heaved an exaggerated sigh. "Bess, I've seen you undress hundreds of times."

"Morgan." Bess gave him her familiar 'don't argue with me' look.

"OK, I'm turning around," Morgan gave in.

Morgan heard rustling and a faint giggle from Bess' direction, then she said, "OK, you can turn around now."

Morgan did and his breath was fair taken away. Where Bess once stood in her scruffy, heavily mended clothes was a new Bess wearing a beautiful, snow-white negligee.

"Bess," Morgan whispered. "You look beautiful."

Bess smiled shyly. "I was saving it for a special occasion. I think tonight will qualify."

Morgan reached a hand out and gently touched the fragile silk. "But where did you get an outfit like this?"

Sitting down next to Morgan, Bess lightly ran her fingers through his hair. "I hid a few personal belongings in one of your cases before we left the Stations. But that's not important now. What is important is this," she whispered and started unbuttoning Morgan's shirt.

Morgan took Bess in his arms, running his hands down her back, reveling in the feel of her untamed hair and the alien feel of the negligee. Leaning back, he bent his head to hers and kissed her waiting mouth. The emotions of the past few days gave vent in that kiss and their passion soon knew no bounds. Bess skillfully undressed Morgan then lay back on their bed. Morgan leaned over her, touching her face, her hair, her shoulders all the while dropping small kisses, like raindrops, all over her face and neck. With a seductive sigh, Bess carefully removed her precious nightgown and gave in to her passion. For a while, all their cares were forgotten.


Sun filtered into the tent, shining on Bess' face. She stirred, a contented smile spreading over her face. She stretched luxuriously and then reached over to wake Morgan. Her hand touched an empty blanket. Her eyes snapped open and she looked around. She was alone. 'Oh, dear," she thought. 'If Morgan's up and out before me, it must really be late!' Bess got out of bed and quickly dressed. As she sat on the edge of the bed putting on her shoes, the tent flap opened, and Morgan's face appeared before her.

"Good morning, sleepy-head!" Morgan teased as he entered, carrying a tray of food.

"Goodness, Morgan, how could you have let me sleep so late?" she berated him. "We've got to get packed and ready to go!"

"Well, and good morning to you, too, Mrs. Martin," Morgan retorted, but the gleam in his eyes belied the tone of his voice. "I bring you breakfast in bed and this is what I get?"

Bess smiled her apology. "Good morning, Mr. Martin," she said sweetly. "Thank you. But there's no time. We have to get packed. The rest of the group must be waiting."

"No, they aren't. We're not going anywhere," Morgan replied. "It seems that Yale has picked up a signal from one of the cargo pods. Devon's setting up a scouting party as we speak. We'll be staying in camp for at least one more day."

"But I should've helped with breakfast," she said in dismay.

Morgan gently pushed her back down onto the bed and set the food tray next to her. "Not this morning. I told them that *you* were sleeping in and that *I* would help make breakfast," he said with some satisfaction. Bess looked at him with raised eyebrows. Morgan shrugged and continued, "I know. They aren't used to seeing me up so early in the morning. Got several surprised looks for my efforts, but at least Denner said 'thank you'."

Morgan got his carryall and started to put his gear, scanner, and other items in it. Noticing that Bess was watching him, he pointed to the tray of food. "C'mon, eat," he ordered.

"But where are you going?"

"I'm going to be a thorn in Danziger's side," Morgan replied with apparent glee. He smiled at Bess' disapproving look. "I'm going out on the scout to find the cargo pod."

Bess looked surprised. "You volunteered to go out on scout? After the way they've been acting lately?" she exclaimed.

Morgan understood how she felt. It had been difficult to volunteer, and even more difficult to get Danziger to agree. However, Morgan knew that falling back on old habits, no matter how easy that would be, would never gain him the acceptance he now craved.

"Yes, I volunteered to go," he replied quietly. "It's the right thing to do."

At that simple phrase, Bess, who knew her husband so well, smiled as she gave him an encouraging hug.

Watching Morgan pack his bag jogged an old memory in Bess. "How far away is it?" she asked. Though Morgan had been on scouting trips since the ill-fated trip to cargo pod 9, she worried each time.

"Not too far. We'll be back in time for dinner. Don't worry." With that, Morgan kissed Bess goodbye, picked up his bag, and left the tent.


SECOND IMPRESSIONS (3/4)
by Mary Brick

Danziger put the last of the scouting party's supplies in the dunerail. The rest of the scouting party, consisting of Julia, Alonzo, and Morgan, stood nearby getting last-minute instructions from Devon.

Morgan considered the reason for the scout and the make-up of the scouting party. He leaned over to Julia and whispered, "Is it just me, or do you have a sense of 'deja vu'?"

Julia grimaced and replied, "Don't even think that, Morgan." Shaking her head as if to clear away the bad memories, she got into the front seat of the 'rail. The rest soon followed and they were on their way to the cargo pod.

The scouting party followed the cargo pod beacon for several hours before making a visual sighting. There were no shouts of excitement this time; the memory of finding cargo pod 9 ransacked and their subsequent misadventures made them more cautious. As they got closer, a large red 11 was visible on the outside wall. Danziger drove around to the front of the pod, and they noticed with growing dismay the debris strewn on the ground. As expected, when they got to the front, the cargo pod's doors had been torn open and the contents gone.

The foursome disembarked the 'rail and slowly walked into the pod's empty shell. However, luck seemed to be on their side this time.

"Hey, you guys. Look at this!" Danziger shouted.

The other walked over to where Danziger stood, inspecting the back of the empty cargo pod.

"What's up?" Alonzo asked.

"There's a second bay here that hasn't been touched," Danziger replied.

Sure enough, just like the pod they found the day of the crash, this pod had a second cargo bay that seemed completely intact.

Danziger looked at the controls to open the door. "Damn, the controls are all rusted out. We'll need Zero to get this door open."

Julia activated her gear. "Base camp, come in."

Baines' face appeared in Julia's monitor. "Base camp here. Did you find the cargo pod?"

"Yes. The outer bay has been ransacked but there's a secondary bay that seems to be intact," Julia answered. "Ask Yale what was on the manifest for cargo pod 11."

Julia heard Baines relay her request to the cyborg. Yale's face appeared in Julia's monitor as he activated his gear. "The manifest for cargo pod 11 lists building materials for New Pacifica. There are also some clothing and medical supplies. No vehicles or foodstuffs, though."

"Well, I don't know what's in there," Julia said. "But we have an entire bay that must be full of stuff. We should be able to find something of use. Send Walman out in the ATV with Zero. We'll need him to open the door. Heller out."

Julia turned to the remaining members of the scouting party and relayed the information Yale had given her. "Walman is on his way out with Zero," she finished. "I guess we sit and wait until they get here."

Danziger walked to the 'rail and took out his mag-pro. Slinging the weapon over his shoulder, he moved away from the group and scanned the horizon. Casting a casual glance back to the remaining three, he said, "Building materials, medical supplies, and clothing. Hmmmm. With our luck, all that's left is the building supplies."

Alonzo and Julia exchanged bemused glances. They knew that Danziger wasn't going to sit and wait for anyone. He was going to go look for their missing supplies. Alonzo played along. He walked toward the mechanic saying, "You're probably right. And we could sure use more medical supplies and clothes."

Danziger nodded. "That's what I was thinking."

Alonzo put his jumpers to his eyes and looked around. Morgan and Julia came up beside them.

"What are you looking for?" Morgan asked.

"Grendlers," Alonzo replied.

"Grendlers?" Morgan asked, his confusion evident. "What are you looking Grendlers for?"

"Well, its obvious they took the missing cargo," Danziger said. "I'm not too worried about the building materials, but we can use all the medical supplies and clothes we can get our hands on. If we can find their stash, I'm thinking we could get some of it back. Make a trade or something."

"Danziger, let's find out what's in that other bay first," Morgan reasoned. "Maybe it has the supplies we need. Why go on a wild goose chase if we don't have to?"

Before Danziger could answer, Alonzo put the jumpers down. "There we go. A Grendler."

Danziger smiled at Alonzo. With a gleam in his eyes, he said, "Shall we?"

Yet again Morgan was puzzled. "Shall we...what?"

Danziger pointed out over the ridge. "Find out where that Grendler is going."

"Don't we walk enough as it is?" Morgan asked.

"Look, it's going to be a couple of hours before Walman and Zero get here," Danziger argued. "If all's that left here is building supplied and that Grendler has our stuff, you'll be happy I went after it."

"Fine. If you want to go chasing Grendlers all over the planet, Mr.-Walking-Twenty-Klicks-A-Day-Isn't-Enough-For-Me-I-Have-To-Go-On-A-Wild-G rendler-Hunt, then be my guest. You can just leave me out."

"Good, you can stay here." Danziger motioned to Alonzo. "Let's go."

"Keep in touch on gear," Julia cautioned. Alonzo waved his hand in agreement and tapped the gear on his head.

Morgan and Julia watched them walk over the ridge and out of sight. "Oh, great," Morgan said as he and Julia walked back to the 'rail to sit and wait.


Danziger and Alonzo carefully tracked the Grendler for several kilometers. The creature darted in and around clumps of trees and brush, leading the two humans on a merry chase. Comin to an open field, the Grendler let out a loud howl and sped up its pace even more. Danziger and Alonzo were having quite a time keeping up when they saw it suddenly disappear, seemingly into thin air.

"Where did it go?" Danziger mumbled as he and Alonzo ran to where the creature had vanished.

Alonzo looked just as confused. "I don't know. It just disappeared." He raised his jumpers to his eyes and scanned the area.

"Well, it has to be around here somewhere," Danziger growled.

As Alonzo scanned the area with the jumpers, he took a few steps forward. With a startled cry, he disappeared from sight.

Danziger turned in time to see the ground swallow up the pilot. "Solace!" he shouted running in the direction wher Alonzo once stood. Before he knew it, the ground opened up below his feet, and he was suddenly in free-fall.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!"

Alonzo barely had time to react before Danziger came crashing down on top of him. Still, Danziger managed to land full force on Alonzo's legs. Startled, Alonzo kicked his legs out from under the mechanic, causing Danziger to fall backwards and hit his head hard against the cave wall.

Alonzo scurried over to where Danziger lay silent and not moving. "John? Can you hear me?" He got no response for his efforts. Remembering what Julia once told him about head injuries, the pilot was afraid to touch Danziger. It was obvious that something not good had happened, and he didn't want to add to the current injuries. Alonzo reached up to activate his gear, but there was no gear on his head. He looked around the cave, assuming that it was knocked off his head during his fall. Then he noticed the gear's eyepiece sticking out from under his unconscious friend.

Alonzo leaned back against the wall. "Oh, shank."


Morgan was sitting against a tree finishing his lunch. Collecting the empty food wrappers, his gaze wandered to where Julia was kneeling, scanning some new vegetation. Stuffing the wrappers in his bag, Morgan's fingers brushed against his VR gear. 'Now might be a good time for a quick jam session,' he thought, his mind already on the new tune he had been working on. He started to take the gear out of the bag when he saw Julia rise and move to a new clump of bushes. 'Or maybe not.' With a sigh, the liaison put the gear back in the bottom of the bag, tossed the bag in the 'rail, and walked to where the doctor was working.

"Find anything interesting?" Morgan asked casually as Julia stood and stretched her back.

Julia started to reply then stopped with a frown, as if an unpleasant thought just occurred to her. "Morgan, how long have Alonzo and John been gone?"

Morgan flipped open his watch cover and peered at the face. "Hmmmm, it been nearly two hours now." He looked at Julia and nodded. "I know. They should've checked in by now."

Julia activiated her gear. "Alonzo, come in." Nothing. "Alonzo, come in." Again, no response.

Julia and Morgan exchanged pained looks and then looked in the direction the two men had gone, shaking their heads. "I should have known better than to let them go," Julia said. "Something must have happened."

"I knew this was too good to last," Morgan grumbled. "Let me get my scanner." He started to walk toward the 'rail.

Julia cast a puzzled look in Morgan's direction when a familiar sound caught her attention. Turning, she saw Walman driving towards them in the ATV, Zero secured in the back. Morgan stopped next to the 'rail and watched as Walman parked next to it. Julia walked over to join the two men, still trying to raise Alonzo on her gear. Seeing their concerned expressions, Walman asked, "What's wrong?"

Reaching for his bag, Morgan replied, "Danziger and Solace went chasing after a Grendler. They've been gone for nearly two hours without checking in."

Walman turned to Julia. "You couldn't contact them on gear?"

"No, we couldn't," Morgan answered testily, not liking how Walman ignored his presence.

Walman again addressed Julia. "Well, you know how Danziger is about turning his gear off. Maybe that's all it is."

"Well, Walman, that isn't the case this time," Morgan replied as he reached into the rail and picked up a gearset. "This time he didn't even take it with him."

A look of impatience came over Walman's face as he turned to Morgan. Before he could say anything, however, Julia stepped in between them. "But Alonzo has his gear, and he doesn't turn it off. Since he hasn't checked in and I can't reach him, I can only assume that they are in some kind of trouble."

Walman put a hand on Julia's shoulder. "Well, we'll just have to find them. What direction did they go in?"

Julia pointed off toward the ridge. "They went that way. But once they go over the ridge, there's no telling which direction they took."

During this exchange, Morgan had pulled his scanner from his bag. Wandering a few steps away from the 'rail, he adjusted the controls. With a grunt of satisfaction, he said, "I've got their signal."

Julia looked at Morgan in confusion. "How can you have their signal? I couldn't raise them on gear. That means it must be broken or turned off. What signal are you talking about?"

Morgan looked at the doctor, obviously very pleased with himself. "The one I'm getting from Danziger's mag-pro."

"Danziger's mag-pro?" Walman questioned. "Martin, what are you talking about?"

"Morgan, you're not making any sense," Julia said.

Morgan came up beside the 'rail. "There's no time to explain right now. I'll tell you all about it on the way." Morgan looked at Walman. "Julia and I are going to get Danziger and Solace. You stay here. Why don't you get Zero up and running. Then try and get the cargo door opened and start taking inventory of what's in there. We shouldn't be long."

Julia and Walman exchanged looks. This 'take-charge' Morgan was something new. Walman didn't look as if he liked it much. However, getting Danziger and Alonzo back in one piece was the priority, so he let it slide. Nodding his agreement, Walman watched Morgan and Julia get into the dunerail. Morgan checked his scanner again. Without another word, he pointed in the direction he wanted Julia to drive and then turned his concentration back to the scanner. Walman watched them drive over the ridge and then went to retrieve Zero from the ATV.


SECOND IMPRESSIONS (4/4)
by Mary Brick

Alonzo sat next to the unconscious Danziger, keeping an eye on him while he surveyed their surroundings. From the slope of the cave wall, he surmised that the Grendler had used the entrance as a slide to get into the cave. 'That must be an interesting sight,' Alonzo thought, trying to picture a Grendler making any kind of a graceful slide into the cave.

The pilot's attention was drawn away from his rather bizarre ruminations when he heard Danziger groan. Crouching down next to the injured man, Alonzo asked, "How do you feel?"

Danziger put a hand to his head and moaned again. "What hit me?"

"Well, let's see," Alonzo replied. "First you fell down this hole. Then you landed on me. Then you fell backwards and hit your head. I'm not sure, but I think your mag-pro may have even given you a whack in the bargain."

Danziger tried to sit up. Alonzo stopped him, saying, "I don't think that would be a good idea. You took quite a shot to the head. Even one as hard as yours must have sustained quite an injury. You've been out for quite a while."

Danziger brushed off Alonzo's restraining hand. "Sitting here isn't helping us get out," he said testily. "I'm OK. Just got a bit of a headache, that's all."

Alonzo and Danziger looked around the cave. It was quite dark in each direction. Without a lumalight, it would be impossible to find their way out. The only way out was the way they came in.

Alonzo started to help Danziger to his feet, but the mechanic reeled and fell back down. "Dizzy," he mumbled.

"John, I don't think it's a good idea for you to move," Alonzo suggested. "You probably have a concussion."

Danziger leaned against the cave wall. "You're probably right. Have you contacted Julia so they can come and get us?"

Alonzo rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Well, I would have. However," he pointed at the ground next to where Danziger sat, "you crushed the only gearset we have."

Danziger picked up the broken gear. "Oh, shank."


Julia drove, following Morgan's directions as he monitored the scanner's readout. "Would you like to tell me how you are tracking Danziger's mag-pro?" she asked, curiosity getting the better of her. "Is it turned on? Can you track a mag-pro that way?"

"Yes, you can," Morgan replied. "However, the signal I'm following is from a transceiver I put on all the mag-pros."

Julia glanced over at Morgan, totally confused. "What would possess you to put transceivers on the mag-pros?"

Morgan looked up from the scanner. "I got the idea after Danziger was captured by the ZED. After it took so long for us to trace him, I figured we should have another way to track each other." Morgan looked again at the scanner's readout. "Turn that way," he directed. "We're almost there."

Julia made the course adjustment as Morgan continued. "Also, we all know, for whatever reason, how much Danziger hates to keep his gear turned on. But, Danziger would rather go on scout naked than leave his mag-pro. So I put small transceivers on all the weapons. Even if they aren't turned on, they're traceable. I know it doesn't provide a mean of communications, but I figured that, in case of an emergency, we'd at least have a way of tracking whoever had them."

Julia smiled, amazed at Morgan's initiative. "But why didn't you say anything about it before now?"

Morgan shrugged. "I don't know. I guess I was afraid that some people would think it was a stupid idea." A beep from the scanner caught Morgan's attention. "Stop here. This is where the signal ends."

Julia stopped the dunerail. She and Morgan disembarked and looked around. All they saw was kilometers of open space...and no sign of Danziger or Alonzo.

"Alonzo!" Julia shouted. "Danziger!"

They wanted in a small circle, each calling the missing men's names. Suddenly, Morgan stopped, catching Julia by the arm. "Did you hear that?"

"Julia? Morgan?" It was very faint.

"Alonzo!" Julia shouted again. "Where are you?"

"Down here!" was the faint reply.

"Keep shouting!" Morgan hollered. "We can't see you. We'll follow your voice!"

"Watch out!" Alonzo warned. "John and I fell down a hole. It's well concealed."

Julia and Morgan followed the sound of Alonzo's voice. Suddenly, Julia stopped short with a cry of excitement. "Morgan, over here!"

Morgan trotted over to where Julia crouched. "Alonzo. Danziger. Are you down there?" she asked.

Alonzo's face appeared at the bottom of the opening. "Sure are, Doc. And are we ever glad to see you!"

Peering over Julia's shoulder, Morgan asked, "Are you two OK?"

"I'm OK. But John took quite a blow to the head when he fell," the pilot replied, pointing to where Danziger sat, his head in his hands. "He's conscious but pretty dizzy. I'm going to need help getting him out."

"I'm coming down to check him out first," Julia said. She rant to the 'rail and retrieved her medical bag. Upon returning, she carefully slid down the opening and went to where Danziger was sitting. Putting on her diaglove, she did a quick scan. "Minor concussion and abrasions. Nothing serious, but it's no wonder you're dizzy." She did a quick scan of Alonzo and determined that he was all right. Motioning to the pilot, she said, "C'mon. Help me get him up."

Alonzo helped Julia get Danziger in a standing position. Danziger swayed slightly. "Whoa," he murmured. "What a head rush."

"Morgan," Alonzo called up to the waiting man. "Give me a hand up and then we'll get Julia and Danziger out."

Morgan grabbed Alonzo's outstretched and pulled him out of the cave. Then they turned their attention to getting the other two out. Once above ground, Alonzo and Morgan each took one of Danziger's arms and helped him to the dunerail. Julia following and sat beside the injured man in the back seat, monitoring his condition. Alonzo and Morgan got in the front and headed back to the cargo pod.

Walman was in the secondary cargo bay when he heard the dunerail approach. He went out to greet the wayward explorers and their rescuers. "Everyone OK?" he asked as the 'rail stopped next to the cargo pod.

"Pretty much," Julia replied. "John's going to have one hell of a headache, but he'll be fine."

Morgan walked over to the pile of supplies Walman had been stacking. "What have you found?" he asked.

"Some pretty good stuff," Walman answered, wandering over to the pile he had made. "Mostly medical supplies and clothes."

Morgan rolled his eyes as he looked over at Danziger. "Medical supplies and clothes," he said sarcastically. "Imagine that."

Danziger groaned, holding his aching head in his hands as Julia and Alonzo laughed. Walman stood by, looking confused. He obviously didn't get the joke.


Alonzo and Walman stayed behind to guard the cargo pod while Julia and Morgan took Danziger back to camp. Morgan drove so Julia could keep an eye on the injured man. Various members of the group greeted them when they returned to camp. Julia directed Morgan to head straight for the med-tent, which he did. Morgan stopped the 'rail and hopped out of the seat. He and Julia assisted Danziger into the med-tent and helped him sit down. Devon and True followed.

True sat down beside her father. "What happened?" she asked worriedly.

Danziger gave her a quick hug. "Just a bump on the head, True-girl," he reassured her.

Julia checked him once again with her diaglove. "How's your head, John?"

Danziger winced a little. With a glance in True's direction, he whispered, "Hurts like hell, Doc."

Julia nodded. "Well, you're going to be fine, but I'm going to give you a painblock just in case."

While Julia ministered to Danziger, Devon cornered Morgan to get the whole story. He quickly explained the day's adventures, concluding with the discovery of the much-needed supplies Alonzo and Walman were guarding.

Devon looked very pleased. "Good work. I'll send Mazatl and Cameron out to pick up Alonzo and Walman and retrieve what supplies we can carry. John, are you sure you're going to be OK?"

Before Danziger could reply, Julia said, "He'll be fine. He's got a pretty thick skull." Everyone laughed, though Danziger's laugh turned into a small moan of pain. Julia looked conspiratorially at True. "Why don't you take your Dad to your tent, True, and see that he gets some rest."

Danziger put a hand up in protest. "Doc, I'm fine," he said. True took her father's hand in hers and pulled. "Sorry, Dad," she said. "Doctor's orders."

With a look of defeat, Danziger got up and started to walk toward the tent opening. He paused, a confused look on his face. "I have one question, though. How did you two find us?"

Julia looked at Morgan. "I believe that is your story," she said with a smile of encouragement.

Morgan played with the edge of his jacket, took a deep breath, and told Danziger how he put the transceivers on the mag-pros and why. When he finished, he looked at Danziger, uncertain of his reaction.

Danziger chuckled and slowly shook his head. "Martin, you surprise me," he said. "Before today, I would have said that was the stupidest idea I'd ever heard."

Morgan looked at Julia as if to say 'I told you so.'

"However," Danziger continued, but paused as if words suddenly failed him. He looked at Morgan, sighed, opened his mouth to speak, and stopped again. Looking off to the side, he said, "However, given the circumstances, I'd have to say that it wasn't such a bad idea after all."

Morgan laughed softly, knowing how much this was killing Danziger. Smiling he said, "Look, Danziger, I don't want you to throw an embolism or anything." Putting out his hand toward the mechanic, he said, "You're welcome."

Danziger took Morgan's hand and gave it a firm shake. Then with a nod to True, he left the tent.


Morgan found Bess and took her back to their tent to tell her about his success with the scouting party. As she sat listening to him, she was surprised that his storytelling took on none of the exaggerated boasting that similar stories of his had in the past. He told the story quietly and straightforward, obviously proud of his accomplishment, but not seeming to unduly dwell on it.

She came out of her ruminations when Morgan said, "Then we shook hands and that was that. G889 may not be Eden, but I think things will be better from now on."

Bess hugged him tightly. "Oh, honey, I'm so proud of you. And I guess you're right. Things will be better for us now."

Morgan moved a stray curl off Bess' face. "Does that mean you don't want to leave?" he said hesitantly. "That we don't have to go back to the Stations?"

Bess straightened up, looking quizzically at Morgan. "Have to go back to the Stations?" she repeated. "What do you mean...*have* to go back? I thought staying on this planet would be the last thing you'd want to do. I thought you'd be thrilled that I would want to go back to the Stations, too."

Morgan looked down at his hands and then gave Bess a sideways glance. "Well, I...uh...well, I have come to realize that I've pretty much, well...OK, *totally* had my own way in what we've done and where we've lived since, y'know, since we've been married. I dragged you away from your home, I kept you from seeing your Father and your friends, I dragged you here. And, I thought, y'know, what with the new-found growth and maturity of mine and all, that it would only be fair to *you* that we stay on G889...since, y'know, since you like it here so much." Morgan tried to give her his best 'Are you buying this?' smile, but it came out more of a 'You're not buying this, are you?' one instead.

Bess wasn't about to give him an inch. With a look of eternal patience, she said sweetly, "Morgan, what the hell are you talking about?"

"Bess, I don't want to go back to the Stations. I want to stay here!" came the shocking reply.

"WHAT?!" Bess couldn't believe her ears.

"My work was...our friends were...our life was....Oh, Bess," Morgan stammered, not knowing how to begin.

Bess put her hand up to stop his nonsensical flow of words. "Morgan, what are you trying to tell me?"

Morgan looked at Bess and took a deep breath. "Things weren't exactly as they seemed, back on the Stations," he started again. "I told you all about my wonderful job. Well, it wasn't so wonderful. Do you know how many 'Deputy Secretaries for Interstellar Development' there are? Lots. I wasn't much more than a paper-pusher. Remember when I told you how, in taking this assignment, that it was really going to help my career?" Bess nodded. "Well, I almost believed it myself. No-one wanted this assignment. It was the death sentence for a government career. My God, it was 'Devon Adair and Her Syndrome Children Crusade'! The government wanted to keep the Syndrome quiet. This project wasn't going to help anyone's career. I was assigned to this project because I was expendable." Morgan looked down at his hands. "I didn't realize just how expendable, though."

Bess took Morgan's hands in hers, her eyes full of compassion. "Morgan, honey..."

"No, let me finish," he interrupted. "I made my job sound like more than it was because I wanted you to think it was. Your thinking well of me meant...means...more to me than anything. So I made it sound like I was really going places; that I had the inside track straight to the top, which couldn't have been further from the truth." Morgan sighed, determined to confess everything. "And our friends. Well, our *friends* were people just like me. Low-level, government stiffs in dead-end jobs hanging around other low-level, government stiffs in dead-end jobs. Believe me, if any one of use could've found better people to socialize with, we would have. So, there you have it. 'Life on the Stations With Morgan Martin.'" He looked at Bess, needing her understanding, afraid of her pity. "You were the only thing that was good in my life, and I had to come all the way out here to discover how true that was."

Bess smiled at his last statement. It was true that, despite the hardships, their marriage had never been better. "But, Morgan, what makes you so determined to stay here? We can go back and restart our life. You can get a better job. I mean, it's certainly more comfortable on the Stations than New Pacifica will ever be."

It was Morgan's turn to smile. Bess certainly knew he liked his creature comforts. "Bess, it's more than that. I will grant you that crashing onto this planet and making this trek to New Pacifica wasn't exactly what I had planned. And, as a result, I did some foolish things." He caught Bess' look. "OK, I was a total jerk. But in the past several months, I've come to realize that I'm doing to most important work I've ever done." Morgan stood up and began pacing, speaking earnestly. "Bess, helping set up and run New Pacifica could be the most fulfilling work I *ever* do in my life." He smiled. "I will admit that being a big fish in a small pond is appealing, certainly better than being a tiny fish in a big ocean." Sitting back down on the bed, he said with a chuckle, "Who knows, maybe I'll be mayor some day." Bess laughed and playfully slapped at his arm. Then Morgan grew serious again. "But is goes way beyond just the work itself. What it really comes down to is people." Bess looked at him questioningly. "*These* people. They are doing the most important work of their lives. I never said it before, but I want to stay here and see this thing through to the end, I want to do this for them, for me, and for you." Morgan grasped Bess' hands, his eyes welling with tears. "Above all else, I want to stay here for you, Bess. I owe you that much."

Bess looked into Morgan's eyes. "Morgan, you don't have to stay here for me. You don't owe me that. You don't owe me *anything*."

Morgan took Bess in his arms and hugged her tightly. "Oh, yes, I do," he whispered. "I owe you *everything*."


Bess Martin:

*****Like I said, lessons and first impressions. They are hard to learn and hard to change. But we are learning...about ourselves and about each other. And those lessons bring change. And change brings acceptance...which may be the most important lesson of all.*****

-The End-




This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.