BRAVE THE FUTURE
By
Manuela Schuppe


Timeline: Years after
Author's E-Mail: Wolfgang.Stenzel@t-online.de


AUTHOR'S NOTES:

Hi again !
After getting such positiv feedback, I decided to write more :) This is one story that just came to my mind this afternoon. It is short and lacks a few explanations but besides that... find out yourself !!! :)


Earth 2 and it's charcters belong to Amblin Entertainment


"If I should meet thee after long years, how should I greet thee ? - With silence and tears ."

Lord Byron


Brave The Future
By Manuela Schuppe

Gazing in astonishment at the ocean, Devon Adair cried softly. She sat on he shore, her arms holding her knees close to her shaking body. The sun was setting and turning the blue sky into an amazing mixture of red, orange and yellow. It was a beautiful sight, and Devon couldn't look away. Soft waves rolled towards her, erasing her footprints in the sand, making an almost inaudible but very calming sound. Eventually Devon stopped crying. It was of no use to cry these tears of despair. She listened to the birds, flying over the water. Hours earlier the sun had reflected flashing spots, like millions of stars, onto the water.
Life was so...so...so unfair. She began crying again. Forty-six years... Fourty-six years... for unbelievable long forty-six years she ...had...been...in cold-sleep.

"Forty-six years...forty-six years" she said, feeling angry, disappointed and somehow fooled. Forty-six long years...years while her friends had aged...all her friends but not she. All her friends had had a life...a life without her. And her son...he had grown up...he was now *older* than she...it hurt so badly..it was *so* unfair. No matter how much she wished she hadn't missed their lifes, she just couldn't turn back time. It was impossible. All her friends were now parents and had a function in the flowering colony, a colony she was meant to built up. But she hadn't. She hadn't been there when the first stone for the very first building had been set, she hadn't been there to see her grandchild taking her first step...

When they had woken her this morning, she had felt like in a horror movie, waking up and looking into Julia's face which was suddenly forty-six years older. It was a shock, her heart had stopped beating for a few seconds. She hadn't been able to believe her eyes, to take this as reality....it just wasn't fair...why did she have to get ill ? Why her ? And why had it taking so long to find a cure ???
Tears were still running down her face, wettening her shirt. The sun was almost gone.
John. That all couldn't be true. It had to be a dream, it just had to be one.

John hadn't shown up so far. He hadn't come to welcome her, to tell her how much he had missed her, to hold her in his strong arms, to comfort her for the horror she was having. But he wasn't here with her now...and that... hurt even more.
All that had kept her optimistic forty-six years ago, even at the split of a second where the coldness of the cold-sleep capsule had enclosed her, had been the thought that *he* would be there when she would wake up again. Devon burried her face into her arms, crying uncontrolled and heavily.

Suddenly someone called her name. She stopped the crying and held her breath, suddenly afraid and scared of what would come...how would he look like ? Still have the golden curls she loved so much ? Was he married to someone else now ?
Did he have other children besides True ? She didn't turn around. Now she wished he would just go away, leave her alone with her grief. She didn't want to see him.

"Devon..." he said once more while approaching her, trying to calm her down. She didn't respond him. He walked around her. She closed her eyes. She just couldn't look at him.

"Devon, ...hey..what's up ? Talk to me...please..." he pleaded.

"I can't" she said, pressing her eyes close. He took her chin and softly lifted her head. She tried to protest but his closeness just felt *so* good.

"Devon, open your eyes...please..." he briefly closed his eyes.

"No....no..." she shoke her head.

He sighted "Why ?"

"I...I can't ...I'm sorry..."

"Devon, please..." he tried it once more. "Please...you have to...you can't keep them closed for the rest of your life..."

Why was he being so stubborn again? Couldn't he see how much she was suffering under the whole stuation? "John...tell me...are you... married ?" she was scared of the answer.

"No." he laughed "But I fell in love with the most wonderful and most beautiful woman on this planet."

She had known it. She was forty-siy years too late...but she had to be strong, had to face the truth, as hard as it seemed. "What is her name? Who is she? Do I know her?"

He grinned at her, but she still had her eyes closed. "Devon Adair...yes, I think you know her..."

Shocked by that, she opened her eyes. She hadn't intended to do so. It had been a pure reflex. Then she smiled, tears sneaking out of her eyes. "John... how did you...how come you..." she bend towards him, stroking over his one day old beard, feeling his *young* skin under her hands.

"I went back with the Colony...I couldn't live without you, so I had to go when Julia told me how long it could take...they refused to put me into cold-sleep, so I took True and flew back to the stations...but they didn't exist anymore...the ship had to come back here...and now I'm here, with you... oh, Devon, I missed you so much, I ...I" he cried, too.

"Sh...sh..it's okay...I've been missing you, too. I love you." They kissed.



-The End-


I'd love to hear your comments at wolfgang.stenzel@t-online.de

Manuela :)

This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.