MOMENTS OF REALIZATION
By
Manuela Schuppe


Timeline: At New Pacifica
Author's E-Mail: Wolfgang.Stenzel@t-online.de


AUTHOR'S NOTES:

Hi all :)
Here comes another D/Der story --- enjoy it *bg*

Special thanks go to Monica for proof-reading :)


In love all of live's condradictions dissolve and disappear. Only in love are unity and duality not in conflict.
Rabindranath Tagore


EARTH 2 and it's characters belong to Amblin Entertainment


MOMENTS OF REALIZATION
Manuela Schuppe

Devon opened her eyes. She was still here. How she hated this hospital room. It was so boring and she was forced to stay in bed all day, forced to ignore her work as administrator of this colony. And these lonely hours when nobody visited her gave her way to much time to think. Think of somebody she both hated and yet loved to see. This somebody was none other than John Danziger. He could drive her crazy like no one else, and she wasn't sure whether she liked the fact that she enjoyed his company or not...
Devon Adair wanted to get out of this room, wanted to do something that kept her from thinking about John Danziger. But she would be satisfied with some visitors, too. Maybe even John would come....

*Try to avoid this now, Devon !!!*

It was of no use. Whenever she thought of something new---it took her thoughts just a few seconds to concentrate on John again. She didn't like it very much, this not being able to stop thinking about him. She wanted to walk along the beach, enjoy the sun and the sea. Going for a walk with John, that would be fun.

*Not again....*

She needed a break right now. She couldn't spend the rest of her life thinking about John when she knew he didn't feel the same like she did.

*I don't feel anything for John !!* *Oh really??? Then how come you're thinking about him all the time???* *Maybe because it's so boring???* *Maybe because I love him*
*Oh, no...I love this man???* *Me and loving John...darn, Devon...think of...*

Luckily the door opened and Devon was glad to see Julia Heller.

"Hi Julia...anything new?" for two days now Julia had examined her but didn't find any reason for her sudden unconsciouness. It was a very nerve-racking situation.

"I'm sorry, but no. You'll have to stay in here at least another two days. I want to be completely sure that you are okay before I let you go." She sat on a chair next to Devon's bed. Julia played her part as a caring doctor very well. Devon was about to raise a question when Julia's gear signed a call.

"Julia Heller. ...Ah, I see....yes...What? John Danziger???? I'll be there in a second !!" she turned back to Devon. "Sorry, Devon...but there's an emergency...I'll come back to you as soon as possible." She stood up and hurried to the door.

"Julia, wait...is it something with John?" Devon was scared. If anything had happened to John...she didn't even want to think about all the possibilities. Julia didn't respond. She had to get out of the room or everything was lost. When Julia was around the corner, she nearly crashed into her husband, she was laughing harder then she had in a long time.

"She bought it, huh?" he was grinning, too.

"Yeah !!" she said, still laughing. "You should've seen her expression when I mentioned John...that was priceless...this will work....I'm so sure !"

"Yep, but now come...after all you've got a patient to look after. And try to keep that smile away from your face...you have to be concerned!" he grinned.

"Yes, sir !" she couldn't help it, she just had to laugh and make jokes right now. The memory of Devon's scared expression made her giggle again. Finally she was able to stop and put on a serious smile. They walked down the corridor. Then he looked at her and both began laughing once more.


"John ! John, can you hear me? John, answer... say something when you're ok."

"Somesinng...." he lulled. The voice talking to him sounded familiar. He focused on the face in front of his eyes. "Devvon, is sat you?"

"It's me, Julia... John, how many fingers do I held up?"

"Ssix !" he really couldn't see it. What had happened? Where the heck was he? What was going on?

"John, a hand has only five fingers..." she felt like laughing every second, but kept a straight face. "John, you fainted on the street. Walman brought you to the hospital. Can you remember what happened?"

"Nooo" everything was so dizzy. Like in a cloud. When had he ever been in a cloud?
"I don't know, what affected you, but we will get this right. And meanwhile you should try to sleep and rest as much as possible, okay?"

"Whatevver you saayy, doc, whatevver you saayy...?"

Julia had a hard time holding back a grin. "We will get you in a nice, comfortable room now."

He felt how himself being moved. Then he was rolled along walls, it was so fast it made him feel even more dizzy. A door opened. He was rolled into a room. Then the door closed.

"Oh my god, Julia, what happened to him?" That voice was so familiar....

"Devvon?" he tried to control his tongue, almost impossible, as he found out.

"John, are you okay? Julia, what's up with him?"

"Sht, Devon. Let him sleep. He'll be okay, don't worry !"

John protested as he was laid on a bed. Then the door opened and closed once more. He was alone. Alone with Devon Adair. With Devon Adair of all people on this planet. Alone with Devon in a tiny room like that. Hell, what had happened to him??? This could only be a bad dream...


Outside Julia and Alonzo ran towards the cafeteria. The rest of the Eden Advance group was gathered there. They came in, both laughing and signing a thumps-up.

"Part two completed!" Alonzo sang. Everybody cheered for a moment. Then they wanted details.

"Slow down !" Julia was still laughing. "Devon still thinks that her unconsciousness was caused by some mysterious illness. She doesn't have the slightest clue that she was only sedated by Bess. And John believes he fainted on the street and Walman brought him here." She grinned. "This will work, people. I have a good feeling this will finally bring them together !"

"Hopefully! Perhaps it is really all they need...just a little help from us!" Baines laughed.

"Yes. It was a good idea you two had there !" Julia told True and Uly. Both kids felt proud and began talking and laughing, like the rest of EA.


It was silent. Very silent. She could hear him breathing. She listened to the regular sounds.

*Alone* it crossed her mind *Alone with John Danziger* she couldn't believe it. How could Julia do something like this to her??? At least he was sleeping right now and she didn't have to converse with him. But that would change as soon as he woke up. Hell, that man would wake up and immediately start an arguement. *But then, aren't you glad that it's him and not somebody else like...like Morgan?" Of course she was glad it was John she had to share a room with. But still. She wondered whether she could keep her feelings for him under control. Feelings she had discovered only days ago. All the time she hadn't realized these feelings were there. But she couldn't tell him what she felt for him. He didn't feel the same..she knew that.

He laid there, eyes closed and controling his breathing. She was sleeping, he could hear her regular breathe. Where had he gotten himself into??? He couldn't believe this was real. This really could be only a bad dream. Not that he didn't like Devon. No...the opposite...he felt something for her. And that made him feel so uncomfortable on the one hand, and happy on the other, whenever he was around her. It was confusing. How could he manage to keep himself from telling all this Devon??? It was going to be a real hard time. Hopefully Julia would find out what had made them sick. He could not possibly spend more than one day alone with Devon Adair without making a complete fool of himself by telling her what he felt. He sighed.

*He sighed. He woke up. Oh no...Now the real difficult part begins...* she held her breath for a moment.

*Oh no... she stopped breathing !!!!* he sat up and turned to her...

Devon thought he needed help or whatever and sat up at the same time. They stared at each other for what seemed forever. Seconds felt like hours. Neither moved. Then, finally he brought up the courage to speak first.

"You okay?" he was worried.

"Yes. And you?"

"Okay. I'm okay." He laid down on his pillow again.

"Good." She waited a few seconds and then decided to let it be and laid down. Nobody said a word. Slowly he was fading to sleep. Devon closed her eyes. This really was a nightmare...


The kids came two hours later. The small room was suddenly full of voices. True woke John. He seemed pleased that she was there.

"Hey, True-girl, how ya doing?"

"Great...and you?"

"Okay, I guess. Have you seen Julia?"

"No, Dad. Alonzo told me she was busy."

"Mhm..well, when you see her, tell her that I want to talk to her." He hugged his daughter.
After a while both kids left and they were alone again.

"Devon." He sat up and looked at her. She was so beautiful even in these stupid hospital clothes. He looked at what he was wearing. The same, he noticed.

"Mhm???" she turned around.

"Are you as hungry as I am?"

"Yes." She laughed, It had sounded so serious that she had been afraid he was going to tell her that he had the feeling she felt more for him and he, as sorry as he was, didn't feel the same.

"Room service is not the best here, huh?"

"No." She agreed "But Bess' cooking is great..."

"How can we order?"

"Normally Julia brings the meals...." she could suddenly die of hunger.

"Good, I want to talk to her anyway."

"Me, too. She's been examining me for almost three days now and still found nothing." She sighed "There's work to be done. I can't stay in here forever."

"Yeah." He didn't know what else to say, neither did Devon. A strange silence lay over them. Luckily Alonzo came in and brought them something to eat and drink. He didn't talk much. Indeed he tried to get out of the room again as fast as he could. When asked where Julia was, he only told them she was working on some test results right now. They ate their meal in silence, only the rustling and scraping of knife and fork were audible. Both hang on their own thoughts. Evening came and Julia hadn't shown up yet. And nobody esle had come to visit. Devon had a strange feeling about this.

"John." She waited until she had his full attention, then she continued. "Something feels so odd. So strange. I can't explain it, but I feel something is wrong her."

"You're right. Something stinks here. I've noticed it, too. True wasn't worried about me..."

"Uly wasn't worried, too. What's going on here?"

"What do you mean?" he wanted to be sure she had this same strange feeling about their illness as he.

"This mysterious illness we're both having and Julia doesn't know what it is..."

"Yes..and she isn't the slightest bit worried it could be infectious...she doesn't keep us away from the others..."

"Yeah, and I don't feel any pain, I feel good."

"Me, too...and I can't remember feeling bad before I fainted." he was really wondering what was going on there.

"I don't either. Something is wrong here !" she couldn't tell what it was exactly, but she knew something was wrong...

"You know what?" he asked her.

"No." She had no idea what all that was about.

"I think all this is a set up." It was what he thought but he couldn't prove it. Would she believe him?

"You mean they invented our illlness? But why? What would that bring them? On what purpose would they set something like this up?" she couldn't believe this, could she?

"Yes, but I don't have a clue why they did it...sht...someone's coming..." they were silent. Slowly the door opened and in came Alonzo. He grinned at them.

"And, how are you two doing?"

That was the moment it struck them both.

*Oh no....they set this up to bring John and me together* her eyes widened. She tried to keep her feelings under control.

*So, it's as easy as that. They want to get us together !* he wouldn't mind this if he wasn't so sure Devon felt nothing for him.

Alonzo left. Devon and John stayed silent, eaching considering what they had just realized. They couldn't tell each other what they thought. It would be like admitting their true feelings, like saying that they wished it was what they were here for.
Devon hated them for what they were trying to do. Yet she did not. And the fact that she somehow felt thankfull at the same time held her back from screaming at them...of course, there was nobody here to scream at, except John... .
John himself was angry, too. But he was also glad to be alone with Devon. If he was right and the others wanted to bring them together...then maybe ...Devon perhaps felt something for him, too...just maybe. He threw the thought away. This was just too ridiculous...


In the middle of the night John woke up. He turned around. Devon was sitting at the window, the squeaking as she opened it was what had woken him up. Yeah, this and the ocean and the rolling of the waves. He stood up and went to her. Should he tell her?
She didn't turn around when she began speaking. She had been thinking about this the whole time and she knew sooner or later she or he would have to raise this subject. And now felt to be a good time.

"John, I think I know why they set this up."

He took all his courage together. He had just dreamed of her and he wanted this dream to become reality so desperately. It had been one of his best dreams.
"To get us together." It was out. Now, what would she say now?

*He knows it, too. Does that mean...can this mean...is it possible?* Thousands of questions filled her mind at the same time.

"Did..." she paused. Could she really ask this now without making herself look like a complete fool? "Did it work?" she had whispered this, slowly turning around and looking into his endlessly deep blue eyes.

*She feels the same as I do, or? This is it, that says all...look at her...John, do something !* he looked back into her eys, which were just as blue as his own.
A bright blue, twinkling like stars. He laid his hads on her hips, drew her closer and kissed her. When he was able to let go of her again, he asked her with a wide grin "Does that answer your question?"

She looked at him, feeling so happy and good like she hadn't for a long time. "Yes, it does." She laid her head laughing on his chest "It does...."

"And now?" he asked, laughing, too.

"Well, we'll take revenge...we'll let them think it didn't work. At least for a few days..."

"That sounds great...you sure you can stay away from you work that long?"

"Yes, Morgan can do it. I figure he's in this, too. Serves him right...what about you?"

"If you can stay away from work, I can do that, too !" he grinned.

They kissed again.

When the first sunray shone through the window, they were still up, Devon laying safe in John's arms.

"So, how was I?" he asked, smiling down at her.

"You were good."

"Only good???" he said joking.

"You were the best !" she snuggled up to his arms.

"You weren't that bad, too, Adair ..."

"Hey you !" she gently boxed him in the rips "Change that ..."

He laughed. "You were great !" he kissed her again.


When Alonzo brought them their breakfast, they were laying in their own beds, John reading a book about vehicles and Devon working on some design for a house or whatever. He sighed. "Didn't Julia tell you to stop working???"

"Could be...but what else can I do?" Devon asked him.

"You could sleep, or, look out of the window, or...or...or talk to John..." he hoped this didn't sound to commanding and planed.

"What's with me?" John looked up from his book, acting as if he hadn't heard the whole conversation.

"Oh, nothing..." Alonzo left.

Devon grinned at John. "You were right..."

"Yes...but they have no clue their little scheme worked !" he grinned back.


They kept this up for three days, the others slowly getting frustrated because no sign was visible that John and Devon were only talking to each other, let alone coming together... .
John and Devon enjoyed having so much time for each other and whenever nobody was around, which was quite often, they talked, but as soon as the door opened they buried their faces into books or whatever. And they were always waiting for the next explanation why Julia wasn't available right now, or Julia, when she found time to stop by for a few seconds, trying to make up reasons why they had to stay in hospital a day longer....

While Devon and John were talking in their room, the group had once more assembled.

"I think it didn't work." Alonzo was annoyed.

"I can't kep telling them I found nothing and still keep them hospitalized any longer !" Julia was frustrated.

"Yeah, I think we should give up." Bess sighted. "And this had looked so promising..."

"Maybe they are both just a tad too stubborn..." Morgan couldn't believe this. It was so obvious they were made for each other...

"I will have to discharge them..." Julia shook her head.

They all agreed. What choice did they have anyway? They couldn't do more for Devon and John when those two were just too stubborn to see what was so obvious to everyone else.

"I'll go and tell them now." Julia stood up and left the group.


One hour later they all stood outside the hospital, waiting for Devon and John to step out of the building.

"Are you ready?" John smiled at her.

"Yes...but do you think we can jump it just like that on the kids?"

"Yes, I'm positive they both were in this...maybe even had the idea..."

"Could be right.." she smiled back at him.

The elevator stopped. The door opened and they got out. They walked to the door and stepped out into the bright daylight. While walking towards the group, John laid his arm around Devon and she did the same with her arm.

"Thanks for the free days !" he told them, laughing and then kissing Devon while walking straight through the group, headed towards the ocean to spent the rest of his last free day with Devon on the shore.

The others stood there, mouths wide open, and then bursting out in laughter.

"So, you two what *did* you do in there???" Alonzo couldn't help, he just had to ask.

"Oh, only boring stuff, you know...reading, watching out of the window and talking. Just what you advised us to do !" Devon held a straight face and didn't smile the slightest bit, but still she was not very persuading...



-The End-


Any comments are highly welcome :) : wolfgang.stenzel@t-online.de

Manuela :)

This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.