FATHER'S DAY
By
Nancy


Timeline: On way to New Pacifica
Author's E-Mail: rapture@visi.net


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
This is basically just a test to make sure the FF list is working right. My new story will come after, *S*. I'd like to thank Donna and MC for proofreading this story for me and helping me make corrections. Thanks you two, *S*. And I'd also like to thank Michi for reading it and letting me know her thoughts on it. The story is coming very soon.

Nancy

Earth2 and its characters belong to Universal and Amblin. No infrigement of copyright is intended.


Father's Day
Written by Nancy

Voice of Yale:
It has been four months since Devon fell ill and we had to put her in cold sleep. Thankfully one month after she fell ill the Terrians cured her, and for that I for one will be forever Grateful. As we continue our journey we are ever cautious of new dangers that may be lurking and try to be prepared for anything this planet decides to throw at us. However, there are some things that are impossible to prepare for, some things that are impossible to predict.

"You said you'd always love me Alicia, so why did you leave me?" John Danziger pondered as he looks at the necklace he found earlier that day. "Who owns this necklace and where did they get it?" John wonders. He had seen the same necklace years before when he had given it to his first love. Back when John was only 18 he met an older woman and had fallen in love with her. She disappeared some time later. He knew her only as Alicia, she had never told him her last name. He tried to get that information from her on several occasions but never succeeded. But he didn't care because he loved her so much. So much so that the last time he saw her he had given this necklace to her that his mom gave to him to give to a special lady someday. His mind wanders back to that fateful day when he was so young and naive.

"John I can't take this. You should give this to your wife someday." Alicia Heller says. 'Especially since I have to leave you my love.' She thinks sadly to herself. "Don't be silly." He smiles at her. "You will be my wife someday. I know you'll say yes one of these days." He slips it over her neck and kisses her tenderly. She returns the kiss but breaks free after a moment. "Um there was something you wanted to tell me love." He asks Alicia. "That can wait, right now just hold me, please hold me." She puts her arms around him and he wraps his arms around her not knowing that this will be the last time he feels her in his arms.

Why did you leave me Alicia? Why couldn't you at least tell me you were leaving. John started feeling a little down until thoughts of his new love Devon Adair fill his mind. She will never leave he hopes. He has been so unlucky at love in the past. First with Alicia disappearing and then losing Elle, True's mother. So he hopes that this time love will last and that he won't lose Devon.


"I'm an idiot I'm such an idiot." Julia Heller berates herself as she searches camp for the necklace that her mother had given her years back. "How could I lose it like that. It's the only thing my mother ever gave me that wasn't Council related." Then she ponders how she might have lost it the night before and a smile slowly forms on her face.

"Alonzo, um Alonzo." Julia says anxiously. "What?" He mumbles as he's kissing her neck. "Don't you think we should go to our tent. The others will be gathering around here soon." Julia tells him.
"They won't bother us." He continues caressing her neck with his lips.

She pulls away quickly. Quickly enough for the necklace to slip off her and fall to the ground. The two lovers don't notice because they are too caught up in each other.

"Julia where are you going?" Alonzo grins at her. "Come back honey." Reaches out for her.
"You'll have to catch me first." Julia says and then sprints to their tent. "My pleasure." Grins mischievously and goes after her.

Julia starts laughing as she remembers all of this and then suddenly returns to the task at hand. I must find that necklace, I won't be able to stand it if it's lost forever. The only time I felt loved by my mother was when she gave this to me and I haven't felt loved by her since. 'Hmm, what's wrong with John? He looks like he's just seen a ghost.' She thinks as she approaches him.

"Hey Danziger." John breaks out of his daze and looks at Julia. "Yeah what is it?" John asks
"Are you all right?" She looks at him with friendly concern "Yeah I'm ok." She notices the necklace in his left hand. "I've been looking all over for that. Where did you find it John?" "Um, this is yours?" John asks stunned momentarily. "Yes, can I have it back please?"
"Sure." John hands the necklace back to Julia. "So um Julia, how did you get the necklace? It's beautiful."
"My mom gave it to me before I started Medical School. She said that it held sentimental value and I should take care of it." "Did she ever say who gave it to her?" John asks. "Yeah, my father gave it to her." Julia replys. "John I really have to go. Alonzo wants to go on a scout. Later." Julia leaves with Alonzo.
"Oh my God." John thinks out loud. Devon is behind him. "John, what's wrong?" She asks.
"Nothing, everything is fine." He lies. "You are such a terrible liar." Sits down beside him. "Come on lover out with it."
"Devon, have you ever heard Julia mention her father?" He asks. "Well no, she rarely even talks about her mother. Let alone her father." "Is his name mentioned in her BioStats?" "John that is confidential information." "Devon this is really important. I really need to know." John pleads with her.
"Why?" She challenges.
"Because there's a high chance that I might be her father." He reveals.

Devon's jaw drops and her eyes widen. A couple hours later in their tent. After they've gone through Julia's biostats.

"His name isn't even mentioned. Alicia didn't even think to make up a name." John says in frustration.
"It does say that he's deceased." Devon offers. "Yeah but it would still have his name. It's like she wanted to cover the whole thing up. She couldn't even tell me that her baby was mine too." He says angrily.

"John, you don't know for sure."
"Yes I do. Julia said that her father gave that necklace to her mother. Her mother even told her that herself." "John, we have to find out for sure, we need some facts. You just can't go up to Julia and tell her all of this without more proof. You don't know how she'll react."
"You're right, but where do we look?"
"Check your belongings thoroughly see if there's any clue at all that Alicia might have left you. She was probably afraid the Council would do something if they knew that you knew that Julia is your daughter if in fact she is your daughter. I'll help you." Devon smiles at him.

He returns the smile, takes her into his arms and kisses her passionately. She moves her hand up to caress his neck. While he moves his head down to hers and starts nibbling on her left earlobe. "Dad!! Uly won't let me have my turn!!" True shouts as she barges into the tent with Uly close on her heels.
"She's lying, she took my turn." Uly says and glares at True.

John and Devon quickly separate. 'Oh kids not now, it's been over three days since we've been together alone.' Devon thinks to herself. "Now what did we tell you two about fighting? You are to share, and work problems out on your own. If you can't do that we're going to have to separate the two of you." John says. "No, I want to play with Uly."
"Yeah it'll be boring without her." Uly says. "Then stop this constant bickering and go play nice." Devon says. The kids sigh and leave the tent. John and Devon sigh in frustration. "Well I guess we do have some work to do anyway." John finally says. "That we do, but later on tonight you're all mine." Devon says provocatively.
"Yes mam." He grins at her. They start searching through his supplies and finally they find something.

"What's this?" Devon asks John examining the smooth brown object with her hands.
"It's a vase Devon. Alicia made it for me. I know it doesn't look much like one, but she tried." He continues.

Devon feels a tinge of jealousy seeing the look on John's face when he talks about his first love. A feeling she never felt when he talked about Elle, True's mother. But she gets over it quickly as she thinks back to the day she and John admitted they had feelings for each other. It was a week after she was brought out of cold sleep and cured, they finally really talked and realised they loved each other. John breaks into her thoughts.

"Devon can I see that?" John asks.
"Sure." She hands it to him and he examines it closely then sticks his hand inside and
finally pulls out two electronic chips. "I wonder what kind of chips they are?" Devon muses. "Well there's only one way to find out." He says, he gets his gear and attaches a chip to it.
"Yep just as I thought." He hesitates before activating the gear. "John go on, you need to know for sure. Maybe the answer is in this VR chip."
"You're right." He takes a deep breath, exhales and then activates the gear.

Seconds later in VR

"Alicia?" A stunned John says.
"Hello my love." Alicia smiles at him. "By the time you find this chip I'll be long gone." Her expression darkens. "I don't want to do this to you but I have to. There are things you don't know about me, things that you would never understand. In short it's not safe for you to be with me. Especially now that I'm carrying our child." Tears brim in her eyes. "If you meet him or her someday please give them the other chip. I would tell our baby when he or she is old enough myself but I'm afraid of what will happen if I do. What they will do to our baby if they find out. I can't tell you who *they* are for your own protection. I will give the necklace you gave me to our child so that they will know what a wonderful man you are and how much I love you and will always love you. Please forgive me John, goodbye my love." The VR program ends and John signs out.

Devon reads the shock and grief on his face and wraps her arms around him. He starts sobbing quietly. Several minutes later. "How am I going to tell Julia?" He finally says while fiddling with the other VR chip. "You mean she is your daughter?" Devon asks "Yes, I don't think Alicia would lie about that otherwise she never would have left." He tells Devon what Alicia said to him in VR.

Suddenly Morgan bursts in. They glare at him.

"Look I'm sorry to interrupt like this but it's an emergency." He says while trying to catch his breath. "What kind of emergency? Are the kids alright?" Devon asks worriedly.
"They're fine. It's Magus, she was abducted by Penal Colonists. Don't worry she got away from them, but they're still out there somewhere." He says frantically.
"Oh my God. Julia and Alonzo are still on that scout." Devon says.


Currently in a cavern several kilometers away from camp. Alonzo and Julia are wrapped in a blanket. Spent from their day of Love-making. She is fast asleep in his arms while he watches her sleep. A joyous expression on his face. He traces the outline of her face with his index finger and makes his way down to her neck. All the while thinking how beautiful she is and how he could happily stay there in that cavern with her forever. And how he wants to spend the rest of his life with her.

Julia suddenly opens her eyes and smiles up at him.

"What are you doing Flyboy?" She asks.
"Just admiring the beauty I see before me." he replies and reaches down to kiss her. She returns the kiss passionately and pulls him down towards her.

Moments later he starts kissing her face and makes his way to her neck and gently starts caressing it with his lips. She lets out a moan of pleasure. When suddenly her gear beeps.

"Oh go away damn you!!" Julia shouts at the gear. "Julia, Alonzo, come on answer, you haven't checked in all day!!" Bess calls out frantically.

Julia activates the gear and speaks.

"Ok, we're checking in right now, don't worry we are fine. We'll be back either tonight or in the morning." Grins at Alonzo.

Yale turns his gear on.
"No Julia, we need you to come back now. Penal Colonists have been spotted in the area. They tried to kidnap Magus but she got away. Please come back now." Yale says with an edge of panic in his voice.

Julia sighs in frustration. "Ok, we're on our way." She signs out and turns to Alonzo. "Did you get that?"

"Yes I did." Gets dressed and so does she. "We have to do this again sometime."
"That we do." Kisses him and they head back to camp.


A few hours later back at camp. Julia walks into the Main tent that also doubles as a dining area for the Eden Advance Crew and finds Devon waiting for her. Devon is noticeably annoyed about Julia and Alonzo not checking in all day. Julia tries to dodge the issue.

"Is she ok?" Julia asks Devon.
"Yes, but she's still a little shaken from the incident, and in the future will you please answer your gear and not pull a Danziger. For all we knew the Penal Colonists could have..." Devon's voice trails off.
"Um, we were kind of busy. Sorry about that." Julia says as she goes to check on Magus.
"Have they found them yet?" Magus asks edgily. "No not yet, but they will. Devon has three scout teams out looking." Julia replied. "Do you want to talk about what happened today?" she asks Magus gently.
"What's there to talk about. I got away, I'm back safe at camp." Magus leaves the tent.
Julia sighs in frustration.
"She'll talk when she's ready Julia." Denner says. "Yeah hopefully. There's also a chance that she'll never talk and keep it bottled up inside of her."

John comes in. He looks at Julia for a few moments and ponders. 'How come I never saw it before she looks so much like her mother. She has my hair and sometimes my temper. How am I going to make up for all those lost years?'

"Julia I know this is probably a bad time but can we talk?" He says nervously.
"Sure, what's up?" She says.
"Alone."
"Ok."

She follows him outside. They wind up a few kilometers from camp but still at a safe distance.

"John what's going on?" Julia curiously asks. "Julia I need you to see something. But before you do there's something I should tell you.
"I want to make this as little of a shock for you as I possibly can." John says.
"That's not a good way to start. John what's going on?" "Julia several years ago when I was barely 18, I met and fell in love with an older woman she was about 25 at the time." "Ok." Julia says wondering why John is telling her about his love life.

"She was my whole world. Everything I did, thought, said, revolved around her. Even though I didn't even know her last name till today." He hands her a gear set with a VR program attached to it. "Julia before you put this on. There's something you should know. That woman was your mother."

Julia stares at him in shock.

"John what are you getting at here?" Starts panicking. He struggles to say something. She flips the gear on and enters the VR program. "Mother what are you doing here?" "Hi baby." The holographic image of Alicia Heller says. "If you're looking at this right now many years have passed by and I assume that you finally know who your real father is. I'm sorry I never told you baby. I did it to protect both of you from the council. They would've killed John if they found out that he was your father and they probably would've killed you too. He's a great man honey and he deserves to know you and you deserve a chance to have the father you never had while you were growing up. I'm so sorry I kept this from you I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me. I love you baby please tell John Danziger, your father that I never stopped loving him." Alicia fades away as Julia slowly removes the gear.

"Oh my God." She says in complete shock. "Julia are you ok?" John asks clearly concerned. "Stay away from me." She starts backing away. "How could you have not known? Why didn't you go after her? Why didn't you try to find us?! Why didn't you try to get us away from the council?!"

Hearing the shouting Devon runs over.

"Julia listen to me I swear I didn't know till today or I would've come looking for you." John says.

"I can't believe this. Oh my God." Julia flees. "Julia no!! Come back!!" John goes after her so does Devon. They lose her.
"No, oh God no." John says completely stunned. Concerned about Julia's reaction but more worried that the Penal Colonists who abducted Magus earlier might get a hold of Julia and that she might not be able to escape. "I can't lose her now that I finally know about her." "John, calm down we're going to find her." Devon says frantically while trying to calm herself down.

John sprints back to camp and grabs a magpro. He also grabs his gear and puts it on. "I'll check in every hour." He tells Devon. "Wait a minute you're not going alone." She protests. "I'm coming with you."
"Devon, no it's much too dangerous."
"I don't care, she's my friend and I'm going after her." She says near tears.
"I'm not risking your life Devon, so forget it. Besides I need you here to call the others and tell them, and in case Julia returns on her own. She's going to need someone to talk to." He pleads with her. "Ok, but you're not going alone." Devon calls Walman over and he leaves with John.


"What do you mean she's gone?" Alonzo asks. "She wouldn't just up and leave, it's too dangerous. She knows that." He says over gear to Devon. While he thinks to himself.
"Oh God I shouldn't have left I should've stayed with her. Please don't let anything bad happen to her tonight. I couldn't go on if I lost her, she's my whole world.'
"Alonzo she isn't thinking clearly right now. She was really upset when she left." Devon replies. Wondering how she would feel if suddenly she found out that her father was someone that she considered a friend then all of a sudden he wasn't just a friend but the man responsible for her very existence.
"What exactly upset her?" He asks. She tells him everything. "Oh Lord, is John ok?"
"No he's out of his mind with worry. He's out looking for her now. Walman's with him." Devon says.
"Look we'll find Julia and then they'll work it out. Everything's going to be ok." Alonzo says although he's worried out of his mind himself. "Does she have her gear with her?"
"No." Devon says as she turns Julia's gear around in her hands while thinking "Oh God Julia please be ok. Come back safely'. "She didn't have it with her."
"Damn it." Alonzo says in frustration. "Don't worry Devon, we'll find her. Solace out." He signs out.

So does she. Magus walks into the communications tent where Devon is waiting for word.

"Magus, what did the penal colonists try to do to you?" Devon asks, fearing the answer.
"I don't really want to talk about it Devon it's over now?" Magus replies trying to dodge the issue.
"Over? It's not over. Julia is out there somewhere and so are they. If we don't find her before they do...." Devon's voice trails off. "Devon, everything's going to be ok. Calm down." Magus tries to comfort her.
"No I won't calm down. My friend is out there confused and scared. Her defenses are going to be down. Now tell me what we are dealing with here!!" Devon shouts in fear.
"Devon if I tell you. You'll really be flipping out." Magus says. "Let's just say it's been a long time since they've been with a woman and leave it at that."
"Oh my God." Devon slumps back in her chair. "You wanted to know and now you do. If you'll excuse me. I have some searching to do.
Julia's not going to go through what I almost went through." Magus grabs a magpro.
"Magus no, please stay here. Let the men handle it this time. Besides I think you need someone to talk to." Devon pleads with her.


Currently in one of the other tents.

"Julia's not going to get killed is she?" Uly asks. "Of course not Uly. We're going to find her." Bess says. "Yeah hopefully." True says fearfully.
"True we're going to find her. If she doesn't come back on her own anyway." Bess assures her.
"Yeah sure. I might lose my sister on the same day that I found out that I have a sister."
True says as she starts crying.
"Honey that's not going to happen." Bess hugs her.

Fade out to one hour later in a cavern. How could they do this to me? He had to have known? And her, damn her she told me he was dead when the whole time he was alive and well. Julia thinks to herself. She finally breaks down and starts sobbing uncontrollably. A little while later she finally calms down but then realizes the danger she has put herself in. She frantically searches for her gear so she can contact camp but doesn't find it.

"Damn it!!" She exclaims.
"Something wrong lady?" A penal colonist says as he leers at her. His friend enters the cavern also.

Julia's eyes grow wide with fear

Presently a few feet from the cavern.

"Danziger man let's take a break already. We've been looking nonstop for the past two hours." Walman complains. "I'm not stopping till I find her." John says. Suddenly a blood curling scream fills the night air. "Julia!!" He runs toward the cavern, magpro ready.

Walman follows close behind. The two penal colonists are trying to overpower Julia while she struggles to fight them off. John and Walman enter and each of them pull one penal colonists off of her. "You messed with the wrong woman." John glares as he slams one of the penal colonists against the cavern wall. "Give me one good reason why I should let you live after this?"
"John man calm down. We don't have to kill them. There are other ways." Walman says.
"No one messes with my daughter, no one!!" John shouts. "John, nothing happened." Julia tries to calm him down. He looks at her. "Are you ok?"
"Yes I'm ok." She replies.
"Thank God, but something would've happened if we hadn't of been here." Returns a deadly gaze to the penal colonists.

Suddenly two Terrians appear and drag the penal colonists kicking and screaming into the ground. "We can't let anyone hurt you, for the man that loves you is very important to us." the two Terrians trill to Julia. It's lost on her since she can't understand the Trilling. The Two Terrians go into the ground.

"What did they say?" Walman asks.
"I have no idea." Julia replies and looks at John for a long time. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean what I said back at camp. You don't deserve that."
"No you had every right to react that way." John says as he hugs her. "Are you sure you're all right?" He checks her over. "Yeah I'm ok." Smiles at him and returns the hug. "But we really need to talk."
"I know." Smiles back.

They return to camp and call off all the search parties. One hour later in the communications tent. Devon hugs Julia.

"Are you ok?" Devon asks.
"Yeah I'm ok, but it was a close one." Julia says as she returns the hug.
"Come on let's get you to bed. You look exhausted." Alonzo says as he puts his arm around Julia.
"I'm not tired." She yawns.
"Yeah right." he chuckles and leads her to their tent. "How bout you? Are you all right?" She asks as she approaches John.

He smiles and hands her a cigar.

"Um, it's a woman." John says.

Devon laughs and kisses him.


The next day by a lake.

"Julia I'm sorry about a lot of things. I'm sorry I missed seeing you come into this world, I'm sorry I missed your first words, your first steps. And I'm sorry I wasn't there to get you away from the council. Hell you never would have known the council if I had raised you, that I promise." John says. "But I know about you now, and if you ever need me I'll be there for you no matter what." Tears brim in his eyes.

"That means a lot. I've never had a father before, but I guess I have one now." Smiles at him as tears form in her own eyes. "Does this mean that I have to call Devon mom if you two get married?"

He laughs.

"You'll have to take that up with her." Hugs her, she returns the hug and they continue talking long into the day.

Voice of Yale:
During our time on this planet we have learned not to hold too much importance in inaminate objects however some of them hold sentimental value and their importance can't be ignored especially when they bring long lost and unknown family members together. It'll take time for John and Julia to get used to the idea that they are father and daughter. It'll take all of us time to get used to it. But I believe everything will work out. Especially when I see how happy they are now that the initial shock has faded. Julia finally has the father that she never had while she was growing up and John finally has a part of Alicia that will God willing always be with him...



-The End-


I hope you enjoyed this one. Send all comments to rapture@visi.net *S*

This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.