THE SURPRISE
By
Nancy and Chris (a.k.a. UE)


Timeline: On way to New Pacifica
Author's E-Mail: rapture@visi.net


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
The following story is a joint effort by Chris and myself. His email for comments is cawolf@datastar.net

Thanks Nancy, and hope you enjoy the short story.The Surprise

By Nancy and Chris AKA UE

Earth2 and it's characters belong to Universal and Amblin. No infringement of copyright is intended.


The Surprise (1/2)
By Nancy and Chris

Chapter 1

"Hey, Adair are you around?" John asks.

"John? where are you John?? JOHN! I can't find you!" Devon says in a scared little voice...

"I'm right here and what's wrong?" John asks with concern.

"John, I can't see! Help me John!" Devon starts to freak out. She could hear John but, she couldn't see a thing. ~Why can't I see anything, damn it!~

John takes the lampshade off her head, "Um, can you see now?" he asks with a big grin on his face when she saw him.

"Yes, thank you John. I thought I was going to be blind forever!" Devon snuggles closer to John. "John, I got something to tell you."

John detects a slight bit of worry in her voice, "Yes, what is it dear?" he asks cautiously.

"John, I don't know how to put this. I don't know if you'll like it or not, but it's all ready been done. I'm pregnant." Devon says, in a little tiny voice. When she didn't hear anything from him, she knew why.

John had passed out.

~Pheew..I thought he was going to start yelling.~ Devon thought about it for a moment. ~But I don't remember when we did *it*! It must've been that night we were all drunk.~

Julia enters the tent and spazzes when she sees John, rushes to his side, and starts examining him. "Devon, what happened?" she asks.

"I told him, Julia. He took it better than I thought, "Devon says.

"Devon I've been thinking. The night when the baby was most likely concieved. Well, the only man I saw you with that night was Alonzo. Is there anything you want to tell me?" she asks accusingly.

"Julia, what are you talking about?? It's John's baby! Not Alonzo's!!" Devon thought about it again. ~Well..We were drunk, Danziger, Alonzo and I. But Julia wouldn't drink anything. And then. Danziger went ahead to bed!! OH my god! It is Alonzo's baby!! I better keep it to myself.~

Julia reads her mind with telekinetic powers she devoloped somehow. "No, you're supposed to be my best friend, he's supposed to be my lover!! How could you?!" Julia screeches.

"Fine don't answer me," she says with a cocked attitude, "I'm leaving I never want to see you or Alonzo again." She stomps away to her tent to start packing.

"Julia..I didn't knowingly do it! It's not my fault! We were all drunk... Except for you. Kept saying how you couldn't drink. And I bet I know why too! You slept with Danziger!!" Devon was screaming at the top of her lungs.

Julia turns around and goes back. "I didn't sleep with Danziger. I can't drink because I'm allergic to alcohol, I would've died but I bet that's what you wanted anyway so you could have Alonzo to yourself." she yells.

"You witch! You slept with him that night and you know it! Why are you lying!?!?!?!? If I wanted you to die, I would've left you tied up to that tree...And this is what I get in return??" Devon asks, offended.

"I did not sleep with John, you're just accusing me of that to make yourself look better."

Meanwhile, John was coming around. Then he says, "It's true Devon, Julia turned me down that night and slapped me a good one."

Julia turns to look at her, "See Devon."

Devon was in shock. "You wanted to sleep with her? How the hell could you????? We are married! How could you John? Am I not sexy enough for you?" Devon was hysterical. She never expected John to be so unfaithful.

"Yes you are, but I saw you and Lonz together so I got jealous, please forgive me. And Julia you're not leaving." Danziger pleads.

"Yes I am, hmmpf, that new doctor we found can deliver the baby," she says angrily.

Julia goes toward the tent that she and Alonzo *use* to share. Moments later Dr. Kramer, the doctor they found three weeks ago, comes over.

"Ok, which one of you psst Julia off, she left camp and took all the booze with her." Kramer asks accusingly towards Devon.

Kramer glares at them, "Any idea why she would leave and take the booze with her?"

"Uhhh.." Danziger stumbles for words. He never was really good at lying.

Devon jumps in, "She just needs to have some time by herself..That's all. And she doesn't want to wake up Alonzo," she lies to him.

Julia comes back over to the group of three, "I poured out all the alcohol." She glares at Devon. "Now I'm really leaving."

Kramer asks with concern, "You didn't drink any, did you?"

"Maybe, maybe not, hmph." not giving a direct answer.

"Julia! Don't leave! We need you!" Devon was almost on her hands and knees begging.

"I'm sorry Devon, but I don't know if I can forgive you and Alonzo. I need time."

Danziger finally says something, "Julia, please...We trust you," Danziger whispers.

"Trust me? What does that have to do with anything I'm not the one who slept around with my best-friend's boyfriend/husband!" she exclaims.

"Julia, if you leave now, think of how sick Uly can get. He loves you dearly. Please think about it. Stay..Not for us. But for the others," Devon says pleadingly.

"Ok I'll stay but there's a problem," she says.

"What might that problem be?" Devon and Danziger ask at the same time.

"On my way back after getting rid of the alcohol, so there won't be any more trouble, something bit me. I don't know what it was but I'm not feeling so good." She loses consciousness.


The Surprise (2/2)
By Nancy and Chris

Chapter 2

"Julia?" Devon rushes to her side. Dr. Kramer gets there first and examines her.

"Did you find the wound?" Devon asks anxiously.

"Yes I did, and I've never seen anything like this before."

"Are there any toxins in her system?" John inquires.

"I'm afraid so, and she doesn't have much time. I'm sorry but I don't think I can find out what this is and develop and anti-toxin in time," Dr. Kramer says gloomily.

"Come on you have to." Tears welled up in Devon's eyes.

"Devon all I can do is hook her up to life support and hope this coma will be reversible once the anti-toxin is injected".

"Coma?" asks a stunned John.

"Yes, I'm afraid so."


One hour later in the Medical tent, Julia's hooked up to life support while Dr. Kramer is feverishly working on trying to find out what bit her. Alonzo is on the dreamplane trying to see if the Terrians know what it was that bit her.

"Do you want to tell me what happened?" Yale inquires.

"Yes I do, it's time I did. It's my fault that this happened." Devon says through her tears. She tells him everything. Bess overhears and lunges at Devon. They start fighting. Magus and Denner pull them apart.

"Let go of me!!" Bess screeches out of seething anger.

"Bess leave her alone she feels bad enough right now." Magus said trying to calm her down.

"I don't care how she feels!! Julia might die because Devon and Alonzo couldn't control themselves that night!! Get out of here Devon. I don't want you anywhere near Julia." Bess says all the while glaring at Devon.

Morgan steps in and leads Bess out of there. Dr. Kramer examines Devon. "The baby is fine, but I think you should go get some rest, and no more fighting."

"I don't need to rest I'm fine. It's Julia we should be worried about."

"Come on, Devon." Yale takes her to her and John's tent.

The next morning outside, John approaches Devon.

"Anything?" Devon asks.

"No, Dr. Kramer is still trying to figure out what bit her and Alonzo is still on the dreamplane. We have to talk."

"I have nothing to say to you. You wanted to sleep with Julia."

"Only because I saw you and Alonzo together," John defended himself.

"Don't you think I regret that now?! It might cost me my marriage!! And maybe Julia's life." A tear rolls down her cheek.

"Devon, it doesn't have to cost us our marriage. I forgive you."

"Well you shouldn't." She goes to see Julia.


Inside the tent, Alonzo is awake and at Julia's bedside. She goes to sit by him.

"My God, Devon, what have we done?" Says Alonzo, consumed with guilt. "I can't lose her. She's everything to me." He starts sobbing uncontrollably.

"Alonzo, calm down." She tries to comfort him. "Now, what did the Terreans tell you?"

"They won't help me. They're mad at me for cheating on Julia. "

"Don't they know, that if they help it might save her life?"

"Yes, but they won't listen."

"That's ludicrous, try again, you have to convince them, please Alonzo."

"Why, so I can ease your conscience?"

Devon winces in guilt.

"No, so we don't lose her. After she recuperates we'll all get together and talk about this."

Alonzo goes to the other cot in the tent. Lies down and forces himself to fall asleep. Eventually he enters the dream plane. The Terrians are nowhere to be found.

"What are you doing here Flyboy?"

"Julia?"

"Yeah it's me, you louse."

"Honey, please forgive me. I never meant to sleep with Devon."

"Save it, and what about the baby she's carrying? It's your baby, too."

"I know that, what's your point?"

"You better help her raise that child, that's my point."

"I will Julia, but I also want you back. I love you more than life itself." Alonzo pleads.

"Go away."

"No, I'm not leaving here without you."

He tries to take her out with him, but fails and awakens. Devon approaches him.

"Well?"

"I saw Julia, but no Terrians. I tried to bring her back but I couldn't," says a defeated Alonzo.


"Eureka!!" Exclaimed Dr. Kramer

"What did you find?" Alonzo and Devon ask in unison.

"I know what bit her. It should only take a couple hours to make the antidote." He gets started.

"So what bit her?" Alonzo inquires.

"It was a spider. According to my research a very deadly spider. Don't interrupt. If she doesn't get the injection within the next four hours she'll die."

They leave him alone to work on the antidote. Three hours later he injects Julia with it. One hour later John, Alonzo, and Devon are waiting and praying when Julia comes around.

"What's going on?" Inquires a very groggy Julia.

"Oh, thank God!," Devon sighs in relief.

Dr. Kramer finishes examining her.

"She'll have to stay in bed for the next couple of days but she's going to be fine." He leaves the tent and tells everyone else.

"How are you feeling Doc?"

"Leave me alone, Flyboy, I'm not speaking to you. "

"Julia, please, we thought you were going to die. Don't shut me out now." His face clouds over. "Especially, since it's my fault that we almost lost you."

"Sure, take all the credit." Says Devon as she hugs Julia. "I'd never forgive myself if..."

"It's ok Devon, take it easy, you have to think of the baby." She smiles at Devon.

"Wait a minute, you can forgive Devon, but you can't forgive me?"

"John, please escort Alonzo out of here." Julia demands.

"You heard her man, let's go." He forces Alonzo out.

"Things are pretty messed up right now aren't they?" Julia exclaims.

"That they are. I wish I can turn back the hands of time. This never would've happened."

"What was I thinking sleeping with Alonzo? When I have John."

"And what's wrong with Alonzo?"

"I don't know why don't you ask him? Like I asked John? 'Am I not sexy enough for you?'"

"I'm not talking to him. I almost died because I was so angry because of him." Julia seethes.

"He said he got jealous! ha!" They both start laughing.

Currently outside by the computer, John and Alonzo are working out their friendship.

"Why won't she talk to me, are you mad at me?" a confused Alonzo asks.

"No, you stupid idiot I'm not mad at you."

"Good."

"How can I be mad at you? Your hormones just took the better of you!" John exclaimed.

"How do I get Julia back?"

"You should ask her to marry her after you beg her for forgiveness."

"That's a start, thanks man," says a grateful Alonzo.

Alonzo heads back to the med tent, and Devon politely excuses herself.

"What do you want?" Julia seeths

"Please forgive me, Doc." Alonzo pleads

"Why should I?" Julia asks harshly.

"Don't talk, please just listen."

"Why, so you can win me back? You probably had sex with all your girlfriends, Flyboy!"

"When I thought you were going to die. I was so scared. I couldn't imagine a world without you in it."

"I'm sure." She says sarcastically.

"It's true, if you were to die. I might as well die too."

"Don't give me this BS I don't have to take it! I almost died no thanks to you and Devon! And now you want me back? How dense do I look?"

"I know, " He frowns.

Julia slaps Alonzo across the face

"Oww!! Honey."

Julia shouts, "Wake up and smell the Roses you jerk! Don't honey me."

"For someone that almost died, you sure have a lot of strength."

"Yeah. I do now." Julia says as she gets out of bed goes into her and Alonzo's tent and starts throwing Alonzo's stuff out the tent "I'm kicking you out!"

"Honey, no get back in bed," Alonzo says as he worriedly goes after her.

"Julia. no, what are you doing? You're still sick." Devon says her voice full with alarm. "Honey, let me get Julia back to bed and then we'll talk. I'll be right back."

"But Devon," John pleads.

"Don't argue with me John. She can have a relapse."

"Ok." A defeated John says.

Devon gets Julia to bed, tells Alonzo to go bunk with Walman, and then she returns to John.

"John, why are you so quick to forgive me?"

John takes a deep breath.

"I love you and I don't care that it is Alonzo's child you are carrying we can have Julia take my genes and put it in the baby."

"Oh John, I love you too but..."

"It doesn't matter. I love you for who are not for what you did."

Devon pulls John towards her and kisses him.

"Does this mean I'm forgiven?" John grins.

"Yes, but what about Julia and Alonzo. We have to help him get her back."

"No, you have to keep Julia calm. I will deal with Alonzo, ok?"

"Ok."

Devon goes to the tent that Julia and Alonzo *used* to share and enters.

"Julia." Devon says.

"Hey, sorry I worried ya," Julia started.

"It's all right, but you have to stay calm."

"I am calm till I see him."

"Don't worry about him he's going to come to his senses soon and see the mistake that we made and..."

"He claims to already have seen it but I don't believe him."

"Well I wonder myself if I still see it I mean me and him did it because of our hormones and because we were crazy-" Devons explains. "Not because we wanted to hurt you."

"But you were also drunk," interrupts Julia.

"That also, but Julia you have to understand."

"I know, but will you be able to control your hormones when your around each other in the future?."

"Yes."

"Good. Because I'm in love with Alonzo and noone else. Can you forgive him?"

"Yes."

"Ok..And he also has to help raise the baby," Julia demands.

"But I don't want him to."

"You don't?" Julia is confused. She thought that Devon would want him to, after all..It is his baby. I wonder what she has up her sleeve.

"I want John to think of it as his baby not Alonzo's. Don't you see the way Uly and John are when together? Uly never had a father before. John is like a father to Uly."

"Doesn't Alonzo have some say in this?"

"You are going to alter his genes and no Alonzo doesn't have a say in this. Well yes he does but we are going to *tell* Alonzo. I'm sure, whether he likes it or not, he will agree."

"Ok, send Flyboy in I miss him and have put him through enough wondering," Julia says while laughing.

"Ok, hold on."

Devon goes to get Alonzo. Alonzo enter the tent that he and Julia *used* to share.

"Julia," Alonzo says with pleading eyes. "Can you ever forgive me? I love you!"

"Hey, Flyboy," She grins. "I love you, too."

"You do?" He says momentarily stunned.

"Yes I do. But if you ever do this again. It's over forever and I mean it."

"It won't happen again I swear to it but..."

"But what?"

"What am I going to do about the baby?"

Devon reenters the tent.

"Alonzo."

"Yes, Devon."

"I want to think of the baby as John's, not yours, because John and I love each other and you and Julia love each other."

"But the baby is my kid too."

"Julia's going to alter the genes a little."

Alonzo's face saddens

"Alonzo, listen to me damn it! You can have a child with Julia any time, but me and Danziger are married. You and I were drunk the night I conceived the baby and our hormones took over."

"Ok, but I want to be a part of his or her life somehow, maybe as the Godfather or something."

"Alonzo, you can be the uncle and have full visitation rights, but the baby will not know *ever* that you are his/her father and also, that means you and Danziger have to forgive each other. Can you forgive him?"

"We've already forgiven each other."

"You have?"

"The question is has Julia forgiven John."

Tired of awaiting the outcome and growing impatient, John comes in, and Devon brings him up to date on everything.

"Julia, have you forgiven me? The night I saw Alonzo and Devon together we were all drunk and I couldn't stand it."

"Yeah, have you forgiven me for deflating your ego?" She grins mischievously.

"No, I never been turned down before," he says gloomily.

"Deal with it."

"But Julia, I love you just as much as Devon."

"Oh Lord." Julia closes her eyes and prays that she isn't hearing this.

"As if you were my sister."

Julia sighs in relief.

"We have been thru so much together, Devon and me. There was the Sheppard incident, then when we went for cargo pod 9 with you and I, and when Devon and me went to search for water."

"I know and when we thought I would never find a cure for Devon."

"But you did, and now you almost died because you were angry at Alonzo." His face grows stormy.

"John, I'm ok now."

"But Julia he almost got you killed!"

"That's in the past now."

"John, stop let's bury this." Devon demands him.

"Ok I'll go get the shovel." Everyone laughs.

"And as soon as Julia recovers we'll start on the gene thing."

The couples embrace each other and makeup for good. John and Devon go off to be alone and let Alonzo and Julia have their Privacy. One week later. John's genes are put into the unborn baby. Several months later they have twins a boy and a girl.

-The End-




This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.