RETRIBUTION
By
Natalie (GirlPoet)


Timeline: After "Enemy within" (Day 49)
Author's E-Mail: NataleeA@aol.com


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
Note: Ok, I finally did it. This is my first E2 fanfic story. (I've been writing fanfic for 6 months but this is my first E2 story.) And no, this is NOT the story I asked for proofers for oh so long ago. I'm still working on that one. This is just something I came up with this weekend. It is not proofed nor edited so please tell me if it totally sucks. Also, when writing I try really hard not to steal ideas from other stories. (I've seen that alot on the list lately and I can't stand it.) So if anything looks familar, it's totally accidental.

As for the title. Anyone that knows me, knows that I'm incapable of coming up with original titles so I "borrow" them from places. In this case an episode of a certain sci-fi series. (This ep I haven't even seen yet; still waiting for tapes)

OK, now that I've rambled on sufficiently, here's the story. It takes place after Alonzo went back for Julia in "Redemption" and is what went on between them. (Another quick note: I'm horrible at writing action and movement for charecters, so if the dialogue starts going on and on and you get confused let me know.)

please send any and all comments to NataleeA@aol.com


Retribution
by GirlPoet (Natalie)

Julia pulled away and tried unsuccessfully to wipe away her tears. "Why are you here?" She asked Alonzo.

"I couldn't do it, I just couldn't leave you." Alonzo replied.

She stood and ran her hands through her hair. "Why? You hate me. Everybody does, After what I've done..." Julia faltered.

Alonzo took a step toward her. "I could never hate you."

"Yes you do. Everybody does."

"Julia" Alonzo took a deep breath. "I don't hate you. I...love you."

Julia stared at him in shock. She turned around and took a few steps away.

Alonzo walked toward her and gently put a hand on her shoulder.

Julia whirled around and stared at him. "What did you just say?"

"Julia, I love you."

She stared at him. "No you don't.. No one loves me. No one has ever loved me."

Alonzo was bewildered. "That's not true. I'm sure your family loved you."

"Well there was there was my mother. She never loved me."

"She loved you enough to have you."

Julia laughed bitterly. "Oh no you see, my mother never wanted me. She only had me because the Council thought a genetically engineered offspring created to be a patriot to Council and forever loyal, would be appropriate. "

Alonzo stared into her eyes. "How do you know that?"

"She told me!" She cried pushing him away.

Alonzo was speechless. He couldn't believe that a mother would ever tell her child that.

Finally regaining his power of speech he said, "I'm sure she loved you even if she never told you."

Julia laughed bitterly. "You've obviously never met my mother."

He was at a loss as to what to say.

"That doesn't change the fact that I love you," Alonzo stated.

Julia closed her eyes and looked away.

"Now the only question is, how do you feel about me?" he continued. "And don't say you don't feel anything. I know you do."

Julia fell as if she was dying inside. She wanted so badly to say what she felt deep inside.

"Julia?"

"I...I love you, too," she said and burst into tears.

"Shh. . .it's okay" he said taking her into his arms. "Why are you crying? I love you, you love me, Everything is OK now."

"OK? No way." She slipped out of his embrace and pulled her knees to her chest. "Everything is so f**ked up. I screwed up so much and now I've been abandoned."

"Why did you do it? Why'd you inject yourself with Uly's DNA?"

"I had no choice!" She cried. "He wanted our location. It was the only way!"

"Reilly, your Council contact?"

"Yes. He wanted our location. But I wouldn't give it. They would come and take Uly."

"Why?"

"Because he is the key to the planet. The Terrians changed him. They would dissect him. That bastard already tried to get me to butcher him. He wanted me to remove Uly's pineal gland."

"Pineal gland?" repeated Alonzo, confused.

"The pineal gland has long thought to be the base of the human soul." Julia explained. "During the Faith wars some attempted to remove the pineal glands from POWs. Those that survived were reduced to savages." Her voice cracked. "And I almost did that to Uly."

"But you didn't." he pointed out.

"No but that was just because..." Julia's voiced trailed off. Remembering the incident with the terrian, she didn't really want to talk to him about it. Especially considering it had taken on his form to stop her.

"Because why?" he prompted her.

"It's not important. All that matters is that I'm still a traitor. I know that's all that matters to Devon and the rest of them. I am a patriot to the Council; forever allegiant."

"If that's true then you would have followed all your orders. You would have removed Uly's pineal gland and given up our location without question. But you didn't. Why?"

"I just didn't trust them." she twirled her thumb ring. "When they ordered me on this assignment, no one told me that they were sending me on a suicide mission."

"But then you wouldn't have gone." Alonzo pointed out helpfully.

Julia snorted. "Like I had a choice. You get orders, you follow them, or be deemed a traitor. You know, my whole life all I was ever taught was to be loyal to the Council. That that was the most important thing. They made me, they could destroy me. I am who I am because of them."

"Julia"

Julia continued like he hadn't even spoken. "The whole time I was growing up my mother wouldn't spend five minutes with me without going on about how wonderful the Council was and that I only exist because of them. And if I was disobedient, well that was the worst. I remember once when I was about 8 or 9 my mother decided that I was talking back instead of repeating the Council's main directive quite fast enough..." she swallowed hard and wiped tears from her eyes."

"What did she do?"

"She slapped me across the face really; knocked over me. Then she dragged me to a closet and locked me in there for 2 days straight."

"What!" Alonzo was aghast. That went beyond cruel. That was child abuse.

"She did that. After that I figured out it was better to go along with them then be deemed a traitor."

"So what? Either you're with them 100% or against them totally?" he asked starting to figure it out.

"Yep, that about sums it up. Except what the hell am I now?"

"I don't know. What are you, Julia?"

"I'm not an operative anymore. I don't want to be. I wish I'd never have been. But I'm not a member a of the Eden crew anymore."

"Why?" Alonzo asked.

"Well, I think it's kind of obvious they don't want me anymore! They kind of made that clear by leaving me," Julia snapped.

"Well...there was a vote. It was quick. No one thought it out."

"Which way did you vote?"

"Umm..." Alonzo avoided her steady gaze and looked around at the surrounding trees. "I really didn't vote."

"You didn't vote?" Julia decided to just leave at that. "OK, whatever. That still doesn't change anything."

"Do you still want to be part of Eden Advance?"

"Yes," Julia said firmly. Her face fell. "But it's to late."

"Not necessarily. I have an idea. Come back with me. Talk to Devon. Explain what you did. I'm sure they'll forgive you."

"Forgive me?" she asked disbelieving.

"Maybe not forgive you." He smiled at her. "But give you a second chance."

He grabbed her hands.

"That what this is all about." he continued. "Second chances."

Julia smiled back, "Right, second chances."

-The End-




This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.