HERITAGE
By
Nicole Mayer


Timeline: On way to New Pacifica
Author's E-Mail: destiny@bluesky.net.au or destiny@wwdg.com


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
In the midst of writing "Devon, Alone" pt III, this idea suddenly crept up me and I was compelled to tell the tale. (I hear your screams of protest! Don't worry, "D,A" will be finished someday...)

However, "Heritage" is quite a different story. It deals with Uly's parentage (a fascinating topic!), and I admit that I have taken liberties with the characters on the grounds that people change as they age.

A warning for those of you who are anti-romantics : "Heritage" is primarily a love story, with a PG rating.

Many thanks to Tressa, for proofreading/editing "Heritage". Her assistance and wonderful suggestions were much appreciated.

DISCLAIMER: The characters and situations contained within belong to Universal/Amblin Entertainment. No copyright infringement is intended.


Heritage. (1/4)
by Nicole Mayer

Ulysses Adair wandered across the temporary campsite, a look of intense concentration upon his young face. A gentle wind ruffled his hair as he kicked at the dirt with scuffed shoes and then stopped to idly trace out a pattern. Two stick figures - his mother, himself - and then the beginnings of a third, the unknown quantity in his life. Uly wondered if that third figure should be there at all, and as he saw True approaching, he quickly dusted it out.

"Hey Uly," she called. "Watcha doin'?" "Nothing much," he replied quickly. "Just thinking, you know." True nodded, and crossed to stand by him and study his crude drawing. He watched her, and suddenly wished that she wasn't so inquisitive. True always seemed to want to know what was going on, and although she was his friend (most of the time, anyway) he couldn't help being a little annoyed at her presence on occasion. Like right now.

"Who are they?" True asked.
Uly sighed heavily, realising that he would have to answer her or she wouldn't leave him alone. "Me and Mom."

True knelt down in the dirt, and sketched out her own picture. "This is my family," she stated proudly. "Me, Dad, and my mother. Have I told you about my mother?"

Uly mumbled, "Yes," hoping that he wouldn't hear about True's mother yet again. The lady wasn't even around, but True repeatedly reminded him that if she was here, with True, everything would be wonderful; and that her mother was the most beautiful person who ever lived.

He didn't want to hear this. Especially not now, while he was so confused himself. Uly had never thought to ask these questions before, but somehow, ever since he turned nine, it was becoming important. Almost too important for him to ignore anymore, so Uly was working up the nerve to finally ask questions. That was why he had to go talk to Yale, as soon as the tutor was finished discussing their route through the mountains with the other adults.

True finished her drawing, and stood back with her hands on her hips as she sceptically studied it. "Mmmm, doesn't look quite right," she mused, reaching down to adjust her mother's hair. "I just wish I could see her, and get to know her a little. Even one time would be good. She's a part of me, and my heritage, and, you know, it'd be kinda nice to find out if she was anything like me." True's eyes were saddened as she thought of the mother she never knew. Uly watched her, and felt a deep empathy with the girl. They shared this, the absence of one parent, only Uly did not even know if he had a father.

Looking at True, Uly was compelled to console, "But your Dad's great, isn't he?"

"Yeah!" agreed True rapidly. "He's the greatest dad in the universe!"

To this, Uly had no reply, so he mumbled, "I have to go talk to Yale. See ya later, True," and walked off. True paused for a moment to gaze at Uly's drawing once more, and wondered about the scuffed area. But all too soon, she shrugged and was on her way again.


Stepping inside the door of the tent, Uly paused while his eyes adjusted to the darker interior. It was the middle of the day and the light outside was brilliantly white, not to mention the heat that came with it. Eden Advance were temporarily camped at the foot of a large mountain range while the best path through it was discussed and charted.

This was wonderful news to Uly, who grew tired of travelling *every* day with no respite. He enjoyed the chance to explore an area and get to know it properly, as well as the rest opportunities the days of no travel offered. It reminded him of the winter camp - a place that was dear to his young heart.

"Uly? What is it?" Devon Adair's voice broke his thoughts, and he turned towards his mother.

"Hi Mom," he said awkwardly, still standing in the doorway. Nervously, he looked at the ground and shoved his hands into his pockets. Uly heard the sounds of Devon swinging around her chair to face him, and the boy swallowed hard. When Uly had talked to Yale earlier, the cyborg told Uly that it was not his place to answer Uly's questions, that was best left to his mother. A chore Uly wasn't sure if he could face.

"Do you have something to say, Uly, because I'm extremely busy with these maps..." said Devon, pushing her hair back from her face. Every time she thought they'd discovered a feasible trail, another difficulty was encountered and the whole thing was too much of a headache.

Finally, Uly gathered the courage to speak. "Mom, how come..." He paused, not quite sure how to phrase his question. "True has a dad, and a mom. But I only have you. How come...why don't I have a father?"

Devon gasped imperceptibly. This was a question she hadn't expected so soon, and something she had hoped to avoid for a few more years to come. It was far too difficult for her to bring all of this up now, so she gave a clipped response. "You just don't, that's all. Not everyone needs two parents."

"I know that," said Uly, shyly ducking his head. "I was just sorta - wondering about it all."

Sighing, Devon motioned for Uly to come across to her. "Uly," she began, a sadness tugging at her heart as she looked at his innocent, wondering face, "I've tried my hardest to be a mother and a father to you as you've grown up."

"I know that, Mom," said Uly, impulsively giving her a hug which Devon openly received. She felt as if he were growing up too fast, and welcomed any displays of affection for they would not last.

"I love you more than anything," Devon continued. "You know that if you ever need someone, I'm here for you. Yale is too, he loves you like a son."

Uly pulled back. "Yeah, but what if..." The boy stopped, unsure of how to express his thoughts.

"There's nothing wrong with having a single parent," Devon reassured, wondering if his worries arose from the arrival of the colonist ship in a few months. So often they'd discussed all the families that were coming, so perhaps Uly felt he wouldn't fit in.

Devon tried another approach. "Look at True - she grew up fine with only her father."

"Yeah, but True knows all about her mom. She's even seen her in VR! So what about me - don't I have a dad? I'm sure that Yale, or Morgan, could program something for me," said Uly, suddenly getting excited at the possibility.

Devon froze. There was no way that could happen, never! She had to get Uly to drop the whole subject.

"Ulysses," she said in a suddenly cold voice, "you do not have a father. Subject closed."

"But Mom!" protested the boy. "I have to! Yale taught me and True all about..."

"I said," broke in Devon, her voice unnaturally high, "end of discussion!" She swung back to her work, so that Uly did not notice the slight trembling of her hands.

Uly was surprised. "Okay, well, I guess I'll just go now..." Nervously, he backed out of the tent and hurried away, even more confused than ever. Did he have a father? Or was it something worse, like being part of an experiment... He remembered how Julia was so fascinated with his changes after becoming joined to the Terrians. Was it possible that his whole life had been some test project?

Uly shook his head, suddenly knowing that wasn't right. His mother loved him far too much for him to be a freak, and besides, she'd always said that he was the most wonderful surprise she'd ever had. Whatever that meant. Frowning, Uly wandered across the campsite to sit on a log, and stare up at the mountains as he pondered the mysteries of his heritage.


Uly was not the only one deeply troubled. Devon gave an exasperated sigh and threw down the map she had been studying. There was no possible way she could concentrate after Uly's unexpected questioning, something she wasn't prepared to deal with until a long time in the future. If the truth came out now, there would be a lot of -things- to deal with. People could get hurt, and Devon doubted if she would be able to face many of her friends. That was the trouble with living in a closed community. They generally felt like one big family, but if a rumour, or truth, got out, everyone would be affected by it.

Still, Devon knew she couldn't let Uly's questions go unanswered. He deserved to know about his father, if only it could wait at least until the colonists arrived... If they had never crashed, mused Devon, life would be a lot simpler. She would have had the freedom to tell Uly of his heritage, or at least part of it. Briefly, Devon considered fabricating a story that would hold for a while, but just as rapidly discarded the idea. She couldn't lie to her own son, but could she tell him the truth?

One thing was certain, she could not make this decision on her own. And she couldn't ask Yale for guidance, either. No, there was only one person she could talk to, someone she *had* to talk to before anything was decided.

Alonzo Solace.


"Hey, Dev, why all the secrecy?" asked Alonzo as he half-tripped over yet another rock. Devon was leading him through the foothills of the mountains on a confusing path that seemed to do its best to avoid any line of sight with the camp.

Devon paused, standing on a small rise, and called back to him, "We're almost there, hang on." She jumped, and promptly disappeared from view. Alonzo quickly followed, and soon he was standing beside Devon in a secluded clearing amongst masses of rock in every direction. Breathing hard, he glanced at Devon who hadn't even broken a sweat. Instead, she paced nervously before situating herself on a rock.

"You wanna tell me what's going on?" Alonzo asked again, taking his own seat across from her.

"I wanted to make sure that no one could hear us," Devon said, speaking in a whisper.

"I'm pretty sure no one'll find us out here," reminded Alonzo, gesturing to their surroundings. "And we left our gear back at camp, so I think you're safe to speak freely." He frowned, worried at Devon's actions. Her behaviour wasn't usually this irrational.

Devon took a deep breath, and met Alonzo's eyes. "Okay," she said, this time in her normal tone. "Uly was asking about his father today."

Now Alonzo understood. "Hell..." he said. Smacking one hand against his thigh, he continued, "What did you tell him?" The worry, and slight anger on his face was evident.

"Nothing!" retorted Devon. "What was I supposed to say? Your father..."

"Shhh!" hissed Alonzo.
"I thought you weren't worried about anyone hearing us?" "Voices carry sometimes...ah, never mind." Alonzo began shaking his head. "Hell," he repeated.

"You're right about that," sighed Devon. "Where do I, we, go from here?"

"Don't suppose you could sorta, well, bend the truth a little?" Alonzo started to give her a disarming smile, but stopped as he saw the ice in her eyes.

"I can't lie to *my* son," she said, emphasis on the term of ownership. "I'm all he's got, 'cause his father never bothered."

"Hey, I thought we already discussed this!" protested Alonzo. "You know what we decided..."

"Yes," acknowledged Devon. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that. We need to work together if we're going to come up with a solution for *now*. It's not like I can trust Uly to keep it a secret. He'd try, but it wouldn't be long before True, or anyone else for that matter, found out..."

Alonzo stared with unseeing eyes around the clearing as his mind desperately searched for a solution. When nothing immediately came to him, he turned back to Devon and offered, "I'm sure we'll work something out." He took her hand and smiled gently. "Promise."

Devon sat with him in silence, as memories of another time, another place, and another promise, began to drift over the both of them...


Heritage. (2/4)
by Nicole Mayer

Devon Adair strode confidently through the doors into the bustling spaceport, her head held high. She was twenty-three years old, a renowned station designer, head of a multi-orbit firm; and already had a formidable reputation. The universe was at her feet. Many places she went, she heard whispers such as, "That's Devon Adair, heir to the Adair Corporation." Or "Devon Adair, tipped to make a billion by the time she's thirty."

Of course, those kind of comments were heard only at high society parties, full of people Devon's father suggested she associate with if she wanted to reach the top - a goal she was well on her way to achieving. When she traversed the common areas of the station on which she resided, she attracted stares for quite a different reason. She was young, beautiful, and single.

Devon glanced at the time flashed regularly on the wall just above 'Arrivals', and sighed. The ship was late, and her whole schedule would be thrown out by the additional waiting. But she couldn't afford to miss the hastily scheduled meeting with Dison Blalock, another rising star within the Council. Her father suggested that she could learn a lot from him.

Moving to the back wall, Devon prepared for the wait. Her position along the wall was chosen carefully, so she could easily witness most of the traffic in and out of the spaceport. Devon enjoyed watching people, wondering about the lives they led. It made a refreshing change from her own.

A sleeper ship completed its docking procedures, and Devon curiously watched it. She was intrigued by the notion of people who willingly gave up part of their lives for a job. She personally couldn't imagine watching the world age as she remained young.

The first to exit the ship were a group of tired looking immigrant workers. Quickly checking the log, Devon saw that they had just returned from a geological survey of a planet four light years away, a planet rumoured to be rich in mineable materials, she remembered. It looked as though the mining had already started.

Next came the better-dressed, obviously Council citizens along for the ride as overseers, or more truthfully, slave-drivers. Devon vowed that she would treat all of her employees equally, should she come into contact with those less privileged than her. She had led a very sheltered life.

Lastly was the ship's crew, those responsible for getting the Council citizens and their workers out and back to planet G156. A young, blonde woman, a taller, dark-skinned man... Devon grimaced as her vision was blocked by a party of people passing in front of her. There were many disadvantages to being short, and this was one of the most annoying.

When the group passed, those from the sleeper ship were just progressing through decontamination scanning. Her eyes returned to them, a bustling mob of people who moved as if they were a wave, surging through the spaceport. She shifted her gaze from one face to another, and another, and suddenly, she stopped.

Flashing dark eyes looked directly back at her. His eyes were so full and luminous, set in a face of perfect tanned features and his head was crowned by luxurious locks of dark hair. He appeared only a few years older than her, yet his eyes held a wisdom that seemed far beyond his time. Devon flushed under the intensity of the gaze, but did not break contact.

He smiled then, and Devon felt her heart jump a little. It had been a long time since she felt attracted to someone in this way, and at first sight, too! Slowly, she smiled back and he winked at her. A private, personal wink and then the wave of people merged and shifted so she could no longer see him.

Devon rapidly crossed the corridor, hoping for another glimpse of the mysterious man who had half-captured her heart in only mere seconds, but as she again searched the faces, she reached the saddening conclusion. He was gone.


The following evening, Devon found herself at one of the more upperclass nightclubs. It was a friend's birthday, and she had been unwillingly convinced to come join the frivolity, for a few hours at least. But looking at the flashing lights and spectacle of dancing young adults, she couldn't help but muse how different her life was. Devon had never appreciated a lifestyle such as this - the youthful freedom in the face of a restricting world.

Unconsciously, Devon glanced down at her clothing and smoothed her dress. It was black, a lot shorter than she was used to, yet it seemed conservative when compared to the outfits of other women gyrating beneath the lights. Sighing, Devon scanned the masses of people. Laura, her old friend from university who had dropped out after only one year, had a very diverse taste in associates, and there were few people present that Devon recognised.

Another laughing group pushed through the doorway with Laura in the midst. She was immediately enveloped by a new rush of well- wishers and gift givers, accepting every gesture with a carefree toss of her head. Devon wondered if Laura would ever grow up. Still, it looked as though she was having fun. Now if only Devon could get near Laura and put in her appearance, she could leave and devote the rest of the evening to more fulfilling pursuits.

Her meeting with Dison Blalock had not gone down well - Devon decided she disliked him immensely within a few moments of meeting the arrogant man. However, as she had been taught over and over, contacts were extremely useful if she wanted to make it to the top.

Finally, Laura broke free from her group of admirers and made her way to the dance floor. She caught sight of Devon, and called out to her. "Devon! Hi!"

Devon waved in response and smiled at her friend. "Happy birthday!" she called back, holding up a gift. Laughing, Laura gestured for Devon to come over to her, which Devon resignedly did.

"I'm so glad you could make it," bubbled Laura, taking her arm. "Have I introduced you to my friends? Everyone, this is Devon Adair!" The emphasis on Devon's surname made her cringe all over again. Was that all she was to Laura, a famous acquaintance whose presence made a social statement?

The small group of those who could hear Laura over the pulsating music looked at Devon with a new sense of respect, and Devon smiled tightly. She wondered again what she was doing there. Laura was loudly making more introductions. "Dane Bridger, Ethan Schuster, Emily Capulette, and... I'm sorry, I've forgotten your name!" Laura laughed hysterically, and Devon suddenly realised that she had already been drinking, early though it was.

Her eyes drifting to the person Laura's introductions had stopped on, Devon started. The face was familiar, and Devon suddenly recognised the blonde woman as one of the sleeper ship's crew that she had watched yesterday. "I'm Cicely Kai," she offered, smiling with understanding.

"How long have you known Laura?" Devon was compelled to ask. Cicely smiled sheepishly. "Well, only since yesterday...My friends and I were out celebrating another successful mission and we ran into her. She invited us all to her party tonight!"

"That would be Laura," agreed Devon. Suddenly she realised that *he* could be there too, the mysterious stranger from the docking port with whom she felt a strange rapport. Devon swung around and scanned the crowded room, but it was too dim to make out each person. She turned back to ask Cicely more, but she was gone. Laura, however, was still there.

"Are you gonna dance, Devon?" she asked, pouting her lip. Devon shook her head. "No, I don't think so..." "You don't have enough fun in your life!" Laura cut in, grabbing her hands. "Come on, move to the music!"

Classics from the late twentieth century were popular again, although Devon found it hard to imagine why. She preferred twenty-first century music so much more. However, every so often there was a song that grabbed her attention, and Devon reluctantly found herself dancing.

"That's it," approved Laura, gazing critically at her friend. "Hey, you're pretty good!"

Devon smiled ruefully, finding that she was enjoying herself after all. Soon she was attempting more complicated dance steps, and barely noticed when Laura pranced off in a different direction.

The music changed suddenly to a much slower tempo, and Devon reduced her movements so as to catch her breath. Around her, couples seemed to be forming as the flashing lights dimmed. A haze hung about the room and time seemed to slow down through the assault on her senses. Slowly, almost if she were compelled by an outward force, she turned.

Eyes were on her. Warm, dark eyes that held a special message through the throngs of people. As if in a dream, Devon found herself drifting towards the magnetic presence, knowing instinctively that this person was special.

Groups surged in front of her momentarily, but when they parted this time, he was still waiting. Devon took another step forward, dimly aware that this was the person she had seen the previous day. He too, moved closer.

Finally, they reached each other and stood uncertainly, not quite touching but definitely together. Devon lifted her eyes to his and their gazes locked. Slowly, he reached out one hand and took hers, and then the other. They swayed gently to the music.

Devon's heart was pounding inside her at the nearness of him. She was acutely aware of every point of contact between them and did not resist as he pulled her closer. The music poured around them in a wonderful theme of promises and dreams as they danced, slowly, together for what seemed an eternity.

As the song was ending, the man bent down as if to kiss her, but Devon turned her cheek at the last moment. It was too soon for that even if the magic of the moment was almost overwhelming. Devon didn't even know his name yet, and the volume of the music prevented serious conversation. She pulled away from his embrace yet took his hand as she made her way from the dance floor and outside the nightclub.

Silently, they wandered down a corridor until they reached a large viewport. This part of the station was empty at this time of the night, and Devon knew they had complete seclusion from the outside world while appreciating the beauty of the universe, and each other.

Seating herself on the chair situated by the viewport for just that purpose, Devon turned to face the man. She smiled a little nervously. "I guess I should say hi," she said.

He grinned at her. "What are words, when such beauty is before me?" Devon laughed, recognising the levity of his expression. Obviously, this man was used to charming women of all different backgrounds.

He took her hand, and this time Devon let him kiss it. A tingle travelled up her arm and she shivered. As he lifted her eyes to meet hers again, Devon swallowed and said, "This is insane."

"What is?" he asked daringly.
"This is!" Devon found herself giggling, a sensation she hadn't given into for many years. "I don't even know your name!"

"Then allow me to introduce myself," he said, leaning close to whisper the words in her ear. "Alonzo Solace, pilot extraordinaire."

"Really?" Devon replied, hearing internal alarm bells go off. Pilots, especially sleep jumpers, were notorious for their affairs at every port. But she couldn't resist those eyes... "Devon," she offered.

"Devon who?" Alonzo asked, lifting his hand to brush the hair from her eyes.

Swallowing hard, Devon whispered, "Devon Adair." She was pleasantly surprised to see no reaction at the revelation of her family name. Perhaps, just once, she could enjoy her anonymity and the opportunity to be just a regular person. As a sleep jumper, it was entirely possible that Alonzo hadn't heard of, or didn't care about, the Adair family.

"It's very nice to meet you, Devon," he murmured, not breaking eye contact. She studied his face, the rational part of her mind wondering exactly how many women his beautiful lips had kissed and where she fit in the greater scheme of things.

Alonzo noticed her frown. "What's wrong?"

"Are you a sleep jumper?" she burst out. "And what if I am?" Alonzo immediately countered. "Would that make any difference to tonight?"

"No, yes...I don't know," replied Devon. "I don't even know what *tonight* is."

"Tonight," laughed Alonzo, "tonight is a dance! A night of possibilities, a night of magic. Throw away your troubles and live in the moment," he suggested.

Devon turned to the stars as she pondered his words. The external view was so beautiful, and she saw a distant comet lazily spiral its way through the stars. Strains of music from the party drifted to her ears, and she sighed. "I don't really do parties," she revealed.

"That doesn't matter," replied Alonzo, his face brightening as he recognised the song. "Have you ever done the Macarena?"

"The what?!"
"It was a huge craze in the twentieth century," he explained, "and one of those dances that seems to last beyond time. Like the classical dances you would do at those high society balls of yours."

"How do you know I attend those things?" Devon suddenly snapped. Alonzo laughed carelessly. "It's written all over you - I only have to look into your eyes to know you're a woman of fine upbringing."

"Oh," said Devon as he pulled at her hands. "Come on, stand up. It's an easy dance," he promised. "Follow my lead!" He began to move his arms in a simple, repetitive series of motions which Devon soon copied with relative ease.

"Right arm, left arm out!" instructed Alonzo. "Now flip them over, sort of a rolling motion."

"I think I'm getting the hang of this!" Devon gasped. "Now behind my head, right?"

"You got it!"

The music grew louder and they began to laugh, jazzing up the steps and each trying to outdo the other. Devon had never had so much fun in her life


Heritage. (3/4)
by Nicole Mayer

The next week seemed to pass in a whirlwind for Devon. Every free moment she had was spent with Alonzo, and he delighted in her company, for they both knew it could not last. They were of two different worlds, so they decided it was best to enjoy the friendship and not get too involved. But this was harder than either of them realised.

For the first time in years, Alonzo wasn't spending his station time pursuing every girl in sight. He had discovered a special friend in Devon Adair, and a bond had been forged that he would have never thought possible. There was something about her that just - clicked - with him, and it made Alonzo a little afraid because he knew he had to leave her. In mere days, he would be heading out on another two year mission, and could he really expect Devon to wait for him, year after year as she aged and he remained young? No.

So they were careful in their flirting, and only a few chaste kisses were permitted by either side because they were too afraid of saying goodbye.

Alonzo still had to meet any of Devon's family. He'd been introduced to Yale, who was, as Devon said, practically one of the family, but he wasn't an Adair. And Alonzo knew he would never be good enough for the Adairs.

On Alonzo's last day on the station, he was standing just in front of Devon's door just as Yale exited.

"Hello, Alonzo," the older man said. "Hi," Alonzo returned the greeting. "Is Devon in?" Yale seemed to frown. "Yes, I believe she is expecting you." "Great!" Alonzo started forward, but Yale's heavy hand on his shoulder stopped him.

"Alonzo," he said, "you do realise that this friendship of yours cannot last? Devon has much to do with her life, and she is not going to give that up for someone who drops in every few years."

"I know that," reassured Alonzo. "That's why I have to say goodbye tonight. She realises it too, but who knows? Maybe we *can* stay friends through the years. It can't hurt for me to have a powerful ally every time I drop back in!" Alonzo nearly laughed, but stifled it quickly at the grave expression on Yale's face.

"I hope so," he cautioned. "Goodbye, Alonzo." "Bye," Alonzo returned as Yale walked down the corridor. Smoothing his hair, Alonzo pushed the door chime.

"It's open," called Devon, and he walked inside. Alonzo stopped short when he saw her. She was wearing a beautiful ruby coloured dress that caused fiery highlights to play in her hair. Alonzo swallowed hard. There was a definite physical attraction between them.

"You look great," he managed.
"So do you," smiled Devon, crossing the room to study him more closely. Her heart fluttered as she took in his appearance, the casually pushed back locks of dark hair, the hypnotic eyes, the smile... She found it hard to believe how much her world had changed in only a few days.

That's what a whirlwind fling will do to you, an inner voice suggested. But it wasn't a romance, Devon had to remind herself. That couldn't happen. He was her friend, that was all.

Alonzo and Devon had planned to go out dancing again, but somehow, they ended up sprawled on Devon's couch watching old 3-D movies. Her living quarters were large, tastefully (and expensively) decorated courtesy of a team of the best interior decorators which Devon'd had nothing to do with. However, the couch was comfortable and inviting.

"I love this movie," sighed Devon. "Romeo and Juliet set in the mid twenty-second century, and yet the original dialogue remains intact!" Her eyes were glued to the vid-screen as the tragic tale unfolded.

Alonzo, in contrast, seemed more interested in the warring families than the time-honoured words. "Which space empire do you like the most?" he casually asked. "The Capulet Corps, or the Montague Mining Association?"

"Oh, who cares about those," sighed Devon. She wasn't usually so sentimental, but this was special. "It's the romance, and the tragedy, of this film that gets to me every time. Two people, so right for each other, yet torn apart by circumstances they can't control."

Alonzo took a sidelong glance at Devon. "Kind of like us," he suggested. Devon's features saddened. "You're leaving tomorrow." "I know."

Their attention returned to the unfolding drama. "She met him at a dance," said Devon in a hushed voice. "Eyes meeting from across the room..."

"...and a turned cheek from a kiss," continued Alonzo. "Love at first sight." He was feeling a strange sense of de-ja-vu and he moved, almost unconsciously, closer to Devon. She did not protest when he placed his arm around her and held her close.

"It's just so sad," whispered Devon, not sure if she were talking about Romeo and Juliet or herself and Alonzo. "At least they had one night together...one sweet night..." Devon turned to face Alonzo as she realised her words. He was so close to hers, and it only seemed natural that they would draw closer together until their lips finally touched in a moment that seemed to last for all of eternity.

"We can't do this," gasped Devon as she tried to pull away. "Shhh," hushed Alonzo. "Think of the moment. Tomorrow, I'll be gone."

"This is all the time we have left," said Devon sorrowfully. She looked deep into his eyes, and felt as if she were gazing into his soul. "One sweet night..."

With a flick of her wrist, the vid screen was off, and then Devon surrendered herself to the delicious sensation of Alonzo's lips descending on hers. One sweet night...


Morning in the spaceport seemed harsh and bright. Discordant noises assaulted Devon's ears amongst the dizzying world of movement and colours. Only Alonzo seemed real.

He was standing stiffly beside her. They did not touch now, for they both knew it was over.

"It was great knowing you," Devon offered. "I'm going to miss you."

"Think we'll keep in touch?" asked Alonzo. He knew the next time he was back on this station, it would feel like only a few weeks for him. Devon, however, would have aged the full two years, and who knew what would happen in that time for her?

Devon smiled at Alonzo, and her response surprised him. "You never know, I just might drop down and visit," she suggested. "And if I'm ever in need of a good pilot, I know where to go looking."

"That's for sure," promised Alonzo. "I'm your pilot whenever you need me. I hope we can stay friends."

"We will," assured Devon. She noticed Cicely Kai proceeding into a large ship. "Looks like your crew is ready to go."

"Yeah." They stood in silence for a few more moments while the world bustled past.

"Guess I should get going," said Alonzo reluctantly. He almost lifted his hand to touch Devon's cheek, but changed the gesture into a simple wave instead. "Bye, Dev."

"Goodbye, Alonzo," she returned, her voice betraying only a hint of sadness. Slowly, he turned and walked away, Devon's eyes following him until he reached his ship. There, just before entering the hatch, he paused to face her one more time. For one last moment, they were connected as they waved farewell, and then Alonzo was gone.

Alonzo Solace was no longer a part of Devon's life. But deep inside, he was somehow becoming a bigger part of her than she ever dreamed possible.


TWO YEARS LATER

"Life goes in circles, sometimes," Devon mused aloud. Here she was, again at the spaceport, waiting for someone who was late. But this time, she would not allow her eyes to be caught by a mysterious stranger. It was the first stranger she was now waiting to meet, a stranger who had caused the upheaval of her whole life; and she vividly remembered the morning of their goodbye.

And even though it was morning again, there was one major difference in Devon's life, one that ensured that history would not repeat itself. Her son, Ulysses.

He gurgled happily in her arms, and Devon stared down into his sweet face. He was pale and thin, but to Devon, none of this mattered. Uly was the most beautiful baby in the entire universe. "You're gonna meet your daddy soon," she told Uly, and then paused. Should she tell Uly that? It wasn't like Alonzo would ever be around for him. In that case, should she even tell Alonzo?

Perhaps this whole thing had been a bad idea. Alonzo Solace wouldn't really be expecting to see her again. How could he possibly expect her to wait? But neither of them had counted on the extenuating circumstances that had arisen, and the tiny life that had been created by their brief relationship.

Devon realised she owed it to Alonzo to tell him the truth. He had a son, there was no doubt about it. Although Uly did not look a thing like Alonzo (and Devon had the Syndrome to thank for that) sometimes, she was sure she could see traces of him in Uly's eyes. Precious moments that helped her cope with the pain and the worry about Uly's frail condition or the opposition she faced over being an 'Adair family disgrace'.

Shifting Uly onto her hip, Devon watched closely as the large ship gracefully docked against the side of the station. With a hiss as the pressures were equalised, the airlock opened. People began to pour out, some tired, some laughing, and some merely indifferent to their surroundings. Cicely Kai limped out, supported by a medic and Devon was horrified to see the scars on the once-beautiful woman's face. Again, the dangers of space had been terribly demonstrated.

Strangely, even after the last of the crew had exited, Alonzo Solace did not appear. Devon waited for what seemed an eternity, fear growing in her heart. What if he, too, was caught in the accident that injured Cicely? Her heart pounding, Devon left the viewing area and travelled down towards the bay.

"I'm sorry, Ma'am, but you can't go through there," interrupted a uniformed guard. Devon frowned, and with her free hand searched for her ID card in her pocket. Uly gurgled sleepily inside his immuno-suit. The suit made him heavy to carry, yet Devon didn't care. Her son was the most important thing in her life, and ever since that terrible day when she learnt that he unquestioningly had the Syndrome, her life had taken a bold new direction.

Devon's power, and her status, however, remained the same. She flashed the card, and the guard's expression immediately changed. "I apologise, Ms. Adair. I had no idea..."

She waved away his excuses and again started through the gate. Her confident stride did not falter until she was only metres from the ship's entrance. Then she stopped, wondering if she should go in there. Perhaps Alonzo hadn't even bothered to come back. Promises such as they had made were meant to be broken...

A noise drifted to her ears, jaunty footsteps echoing through an empty space ship. Devon lifted her eyes to the dim hatch as her heart leapt into her chest. And there he was.

Alonzo stepped from the darkness into full station light, and Devon smiled. He was exactly as she remembered, right down to the crinkles by his eyes caused by laughter. They were of similar physical age now, and Devon was determined to meet him as an equal.

Alonzo glanced up, and a look of almost disbelief crossed his features when he noticed Devon standing close by.

"Devon!" he said incredulously. "I guess I hoped a little, but I never expected..."

"Neither did I," she cut in. "But here I am, and, uh, I have someone for you to meet."

Devon swallowed nervously. Now was the test, to see what Alonzo was truly like deep inside and if he had the courage to face the past. Alonzo slowly stepped closer to her, his eyes focussed on the tiny bundle in the woman's arms. He wanted to reach out to touch Devon, but something made him hold back. There was a new sense of maturity in her eyes, and a change. She wasn't the person he had almost been in love with anymore.

Devon, too, almost sadly realised that she had overcome her attraction to Alonzo. The two years of steeling herself against the inevitable; and the new direction of her life had taught her that any future relationship between them could never be. If the circumstances were different...but no, that would never happen. Both Devon and Alonzo had accepted this as a reality.

"You were right, you know," said Devon as Alonzo stared down at the small child. "I did have a baby boy."

"Yeah," said Alonzo, speechless for once. Carefully, he brushed aside a tiny lock of hair on the baby's head.

"His name's Ulysses," Devon explained further. Lifting his head to look directly at Devon, Alonzo knew the answer even before he asked the question. "Your son."

Alonzo's hand dropped, and something akin to panic darted across his features. Devon had to laugh. He looked so comical, standing there as if he were stunned by the knowledge...which he was. But all too soon, the serious of the situation descended upon both of them.

"Are you sure?" was all Alonzo could manage to say. "Of course I'm sure!" returned Devon. "But he doesn't look anything like me..." "He has the Syndrome."

Alonzo visibly paled. He hadn't heard much about the illness, but knew that it killed children without fail. And now one of those children would be a part of him. "I'm sorry," he offered weakly.

"Don't be," replied Devon brusquely. She took a deep breath. "I can handle it," Devon lied. "We have the best doctors searching for a cure right now. I will do anything to save *my* son."

Shyly, Alonzo stepped around Devon so that he could have a better view of baby Ulysses. "He looks like a fighter. Just like his Mom."

With a wry laugh, Devon said, "He has to be. You have no idea of the hell my family's put us through. Demanding to know who the father was, pressuring me to get an abortion because your family bloodline wasn't good enough to be mixed with an Adair, and then to discover that Uly has the Syndrome..." A small gasp escaped her lips, and Alonzo realised that she was trying not to cry. "It's just so hard, you know? Even with my power and fortune, nothing is ever enough..."

Alonzo placed a comforting hand on Devon's shoulder. "I'm so sorry," he said sincerely. "If I had known...maybe I could've come back here and helped."

"No you wouldn't," Devon returned. "Your destiny is in the stars. I couldn't ask you to stay here and support me - we'd just end up hating each other."

Alonzo nodded, recognising the truth in her words.

"Well, do you want me to, uh, like help with his upbringing? I earn a lot of credits every space run."

"No," Devon cut off his offer. "I think it's best that you don't get involved. It's the best for all of us."

"But I want to help!" protested Alonzo. He felt a sense of duty to look out for his kid, even if he barely knew the little guy.

"Thank you," smiled Devon, and meant it from the bottom of her heart. "But I can afford anything he needs, and besides, my family doesn't know exactly who you are. I don't want to drag you into the mess."

"So you're saying that I should just stay away?" Devon sighed. "In essence, yes. I don't think Uly could cope with a father who dropped in every few years, especially as he's so sick. And Yale's always there for him, and for me. We're doing okay."

"And what about when Ulysses gets old enough to ask about his father? What then?" countered Alonzo.

"Uly might not live long enough," said Devon quietly, bringing the baby close.

"Devon, look at me," said Alonzo, lifting her chin so that she met his eyes. "I know you, I know you will find a cure somehow. I just don't want anyone to get hurt."

Sighing, Devon replied, "Well maybe I can tell him that his father is an explorer, out in distant galaxies on sleep runs of decades. Trust me, it's better this way."

Nodding, another thought struck Alonzo. "But what about us? I don't want to lose your friendship."

"You won't," promised Devon. "You're Mr Solace, Mommy's friend who drops in to visit every few years."

"I can handle that." Alonzo wasn't ready to deal with the responsibilities that came with parenthood, not now in his life when he still had so much to do. It was obvious that Devon loved her son more than her own life, so he could accept her decisions, and live with his own.

"That's it, then," said Alonzo. "I just wish it hadn't turned out this way," he offered.

Smiling sadly, Devon answered, "Our relationship, brief though it was, was a beautiful thing. I don't regret a moment of it, and Uly is a true blessing. Don't feel bad." She offered her hand to him, and Alonzo cautiously took it.

"Friends?" Devon asked.
"For life," ascertained Alonzo.


Heritage. (4/4)
by Nicole Mayer

"Do you ever regret it?" Devon suddenly asked, breaking the silence in the lonely foothills of the mountains of G889. Alonzo stared hard at her for a moment.

"No," he finally replied. "We did the right thing, given the circumstances. Back then, we never could have been together. I guess I just didn't know it could all change so much."

His profound statement echoed through both minds. Devon watched Alonzo carefully, wondering if his thoughts matched hers. Ever since that morning, when the future was decided, she and Alonzo had tried to remain good friends, but their closeness inevitably diminished as the years went by. And then came the Eden Project, where they were suddenly thrown together in a way they'd never dreamed possible.

"Alonzo," Devon spoke carefully. "After we crashed... did you ever, uh, consider our relationship?" Alonzo leaned forward to rest his chin upon his fist as he contemplated her question. He couldn't lie to Devon, not in the past, and not now either.

"I guess I did," Alonzo admitted. "Not right away, the first few weeks were pretty hazy. I mean, with my leg, and the realisation that I couldn't fly anymore, and then facing reality that this group of people were going to be my life for the next few years...it didn't sink in right away, but yeah, I considered it."

"And?" Devon prompted. She understood her own reaction clearly, but it remained to be seen if Alonzo felt the same way.

"And, well," shrugged Alonzo, "by the time I realised that maybe we could have restarted something, it was already too late. I mean, what would Uly have thought? What would everyone have thought?"

"Your flirting with Julia didn't help either," said Devon wryly.

Alonzo merely laughed. "Hey, that's me, that's who I am! You know that," he reminded.

"Yeah, I do," answered Devon, crossing one leg over the other. "I know a lot more about you than most people here. Except maybe Julia..."

Alonzo was nodding in agreement as a new thought struck him. "I can't believe that Julia never figured it out. She was, uh," Alonzo paused, searching for the right phrase so as not to remind them of the terrible things their friend once did, "studying Uly's DNA, and she was treating me at the same time. I didn't think about it then, but surely she would have made the connection!"

"Not if she wasn't looking for it," cautioned Devon. "No one even suspects that we had that kind of relationship in the past, and it's incredible how much Uly looks like an Adair rather than you."

"He doesn't look that much like you, either," Alonzo pointed out. Devon sighed. "Maybe that's an effect of the Syndrome, maybe it's his link with the Terrians...and anyway," Devon suddenly realised, "he has more of his father in him than we think."

Alonzo stared at Devon blankly.
"The Terrians!" she explained. "Why do they dream to you? And that was *before* they took Uly. Perhaps they knew that you and he were connected; the Terrians may have been asking *you* for permission..." Devon's eyes widened as mysteries of the past suddenly fell into place. Alonzo continued her train of thought.

"Uly and I are still the only ones in our group with strong Terrian links. That's really...something."

Alonzo sensed a new emotion arising within himself. For years, he had been avoiding the boy as much as possible, but now, with discovering the common link they shared, Alonzo felt a sudden desire to really take time and get to know Uly. Uly was, after all, his only son, and the only Solace after himself.

"I've gotta tell him," Alonzo suddenly decided. "Dev, he deserves the truth."

"I know," she said quietly. "But we have to prepare ourselves for the reaction of the group. I don't like the prospect of," and she had to swallow before she could say his name, "John's response."

Devon knew that Danziger had kept the truth from True about her mother for so long to protect her. In a way, Devon had done the exact same thing. But Uly's father *was* around, so would Danziger understand why they had hidden the fact for so long? Devon barely understood it herself. It had just been too busy at the start of their journey, and then there was no reason to bring it up and so it was gradually pushed aside until Uly's questions reminded her of the situation.

"Danziger'll forgive you," reassured Alonzo. "He's made parenting mistakes himself."

Devon replied, "I know," but she was still worried. "Worse than that, though, how will everyone react to the knowledge that we were together?"

Frowning, Alonzo said, "But that was a long time ago." "It wasn't, really, for you - I mean, what is Julia? Only the third, or fourth, serious involvement since me?"

Alonzo's response surprised her. "The second," he stated. "Oh," said Devon quietly. What did that mean? Had Alonzo ever really gotten over her? Or had she ever forgotten him?

"We -I- don't want to cause any trouble between you two," Devon quickly added. "I mean, you and Julia seem so happy together..."

"And then there's you and Danziger," Alonzo jumped in, noticing her slight blush. He wondered if Devon would ever realise how obvious it was to everyone that she and Danziger might make a great couple some day.

Shifting on her rocky seat, Devon offered, "So no regrets?" There was more than a note of uncertainty in her voice. Alonzo heard it come through.

"Did we ever really finish?" he suggested. Devon looked into Alonzo's flashing, soulful eyes and suddenly didn't know. Her heart was thrown into a whirlwind of confusion and she bent closer to him, their eyes still locked.

"I don't remember if we said goodbye forever," Devon whispered. His face inched closer to hers.

"Forever is a long time," murmured Alonzo. They were so close now that Devon could feel Alonzo's breath upon her cheek.

"We could have been something beautiful together..." "But how do we know?" protested Devon. "How can we be sure about now?"

"One kiss," whispered Alonzo, brushing his lips across her cheek, ever growing closer to her mouth. In the heartbeat that followed, Devon made a life-changing decision.

"One kiss, and then we'll know..." Their lips finally, undeniably, met.

-The End-




This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.