TWO MOONS
By
Nicole Mayer


Timeline: Years after
Author's E-Mail: destiny@wwdg.com


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
Hi! This is something that jumped into my head the other day, and I just HAD to write it. It's my first Earth-2 fanfic posting, and I'd really love any comments anyone has to : nmayer@gucis.cit.gu.edu.au

Disclaimer : The charactes contained within belong to Universal and Amblin Entertainment. No copyright infringement intended.


"Two Moons"
by Nicole Mayer

Mooncross. The young woman looked at the sky, and sighed. She always got nervous around this time of the year - her whole family did. There was something about Terrian ceremonies that, even after all these years, scared her a little.

Gazing up at the two moons becoming one, she was vividly reminded of how beautiful this place was, even when she was so alone. But soon, soon she would go home to her family. It was something to look forward to.

High above, the moons danced around each other, drawing closer all the time. Two duelling creatures that belonged together, causing such beauty in the sky. The woman lifted her face to the heavens, and let the light stream down.


"Dad! Devon!" called True, jumping down from the vehicle. She ran straight to her family, hugging both parents in one huge embrace. "It feels so great to see you again!"

"We missed you, True-girl," said John. Even though she'd told her father a thousand times not to call her that, True reflected that the name was special, and comforting to hear.

Devon stroked True's long, blond hair. "It was really quiet around the house without you. I don't think Uly quite knew what to do with himself those first few months!"

True pulled back, and looked around. "Where is he?" Uly had been her best friend for so long, and it was surprising that he wasn't there to greet her. After all, she'd been away for six months!

Devon frowned. "He should be here," she said. "I thought he was looking forward to your homecoming." "Of course he was," ascertained John. "He probably just got held up or something." He patted True's arm, but she saw his eyes meet Devon's in a worried glance.

Even though she felt upset, True couldn't resist a smile. Her Dad and Devon were so perfect together and she loved seeing them communicate in perfect harmony.

"So tell us all about it, True. What was it like scouting the southern continent?"

"Incredible," she enthused. "It has such an incredibly different ecosystem to New Pacifica!"

"Who would'a thought my daughter would turn out to be such a dedicated biologist?" laughed John. He waited for her to continue, but True's eyes had drifted to the west.

A tall, muscular figure was making his way towards the group. Squinting in the sun, True noticed there was something familiar about the way he walked...

"Uly?" she whispered aloud.
"Good, he made it," said Devon.
"Wow, he grew..." realised True. She raced across to him. "Hi!" she called, flinging her arms around him. For the first time in their lives, he was taller than her! She expected to feel him hug her back, but Uly was strangely stiff.

"Welcome back, True," he said formally. True extracted herself from him, feeling upset. She'd looked forward to seeing him for so long, but now it seemed that their bond of friendship was missing.

"I missed you," she offered weakly. The scouting party had only taken minimal equipment with them, and that meant that social communications weren't allowed.

"Me too," he said, but he wouldn't meet her eyes. True felt her heart fall. It was wonderful to be home, but something was missing. And she felt alone once again.


True wandered through the house. She'd been so excited when they first moved in, just after her father and Devon got married. There was her room, directly opposite from Uly's. She wandered through the door, and sighed.

Her things, treasures she had collected over many years, were proudly displayed around the room. But somehow, True could now see these through an adult's eyes. Leaving home for the first time had been hard, yet True knew it had made her a stronger person.

And now, she felt like a stranger in the home she had grown up in. Could she return to being the little girl she was? Beloved daughter of John Danziger, part of one of the most respected families of the area?

Sitting on her bed, True thought back over the past six months. When she'd been chosen from her college class to be a part of the expedition, she'd been ecstatic. Even the tearful goodbyes hadn't been able to dim her enthusiasm.

But sometimes it got lonely, even with all of her new friends close by. In those times, she had looked to the moons to remind her that they were the same, wherever one might be. And then she would remember Uly.

"Look at the moons, True. They're magic." He'd told her that so long ago and they'd made a pact. Wherever they were, whenever they were, any time they gazed up at the moons, they would remember that they were best friends for life.

True wandered to the window and looked outside. It was dark, but there was no moonlight. Clouds shadowed the sky just as the shadow of loss was crossing True's heart.

"True?" She turned. Devon was at the door. "May I come in?" True nodded, and turned back to the window.

Devon looked at the troubled girl, no, young woman, she reminded herself. It was just so hard to forget the child she'd first met, who'd looked up at her with wonder and hope in her eyes of seeing a new planet.

And over the years, they'd grown closer until it seemed they really were biological mother and daughter. True had gone to Devon during her turbulent teen years and the bond they'd forged had grown deep.

But, Devon reflected, it was Uly that True had been closest to. Even when all the other children arrived, True and Uly had still spent hours playing together, or talking to each other as they grew older.

Devon sighed. She was worried about Uly. Recently, he'd withdrawn into himself, especially after the last Mooncross. She'd tried to talk to him, but Uly hadn't even hinted at what was going on.

"Girl troubles," said John knowingly when she'd voiced her fears to him. But as far as Devon knew, there weren't any girls in his life. None but True...

"Devon," she said, breaking the older woman out of her reverie, "did something happen while I was gone?" "What do you mean, honey?"

"Uly. He won't talk to me. He didn't even seem glad to see me!"
"I think Uly's been going through a rough time lately. He's been quiet, moody. It's nothing personal, I think he's just realising that he can't stay with us and be a child forever. I mean, you went away and took that step of independence. And - "

"So it was my fault," True cut in flatly. "No, no, of course not! Everyone has to grow up sometime. It's just a matter of how different people accept it." "But I've lost my best friend!" Tears began welling in True's eyes, and Devon crossed the room to give her a comforting hug.

"He'll come round, I'm sure. Just give him time," she soothed. But inside, she feared that the change in Uly was permanent.


Uly lay back on his bed, staring at the ceiling as he threw a ball up and caught it. Up and down, over and over, anything to keep him from thinking the things that kept running rampant through his mind.

When True had left, his life had suddenly become empty, as if the sun had gone away. And slowly, but surely, Uly had realised that he loved True. Not only as a sister, but something more.

And he could never have her. What would she see in him, her kid brother who'd tagged along for so long? As far as he knew, step-brothers and sisters NEVER fell in love. It was unheard of.

Sometimes, he wished that his mother had never married John. Then he would have had a chance with True. But as quickly as that thought came, he banished it once again. Seeing his mother so happy, especially after she had almost died, made Uly feel guilty for even contemplating such things. But fate had dealt him a cruel hand, and he could never go near her again. It just hurt too much.

Uly wandered to the window, to look at the moons. He'd stared at them often while True was gone, remembering all the good times and counting the days until she returned. But now that she was back, it was worse than before. She was so close and that tore at his heart.

He could hear the murmur of her voice as she talked with Devon. Looking to the sky and seeing the blackness, he knew he had to get outside. Run away from the pain, until he could block it out. So he did.


Devon left the room and True turned out the light. The air indoors seemed humid and stifling as the blackness closed in. She had to get outside! But not through the house, that would just mean more questions from her father and Devon.

Placing a light jacket over her shoulders, True crawled out of the window just as she had a million times in the past.

Dropping lightly to the ground, she made her way down the old path to the beach. She and Uly had a special place there, hidden amongst the rocks. Together, they used to sneak down there at night when their parents thought they were asleep. They'd told each other stories, songs, their hopes and dreams for the future. This was the place where their pact had been made. True was looking for the past.

She stopped. A figure was already hiding in the shadows, and True felt a flash of annoyance. Who would dare invade their sanctuary?

"True," came the familiar voice, and she smiled. Uly. He was here. Maybe he did care for her, after all. "I shouldn't of come here," he continued, scrambling up. True was once again amazed at the change in him. Instead of the little boy she knew, she was seeing a man.

"No, don't go. Please," she implored. "Talk to me, Uly. I missed you so much!"
Hearing the note of desperation in her voice, he paused. She took the opportunity to enter the clearing and stand in front of him. She lifted her hand and tilted his chin, so that he was forced to look into her eyes.

"What's wrong?" she whispered. Suddenly, Uly's arms encircled her waist and held her tightly, as if he might never let go. True felt unfamiliar sensations rush through her as her blood began pounding. She had never been held by anyone in quite this way before.

"True," she heard Uly whisper into her hair. <This is your brother!> an inner voice reminded her. So why did she feel so excited and confused by his touch?

Suddenly, she pulled away. "Uly," she began, "what's happening between us?" Emotions whirled through her mind as the truth finally dawned upon her. Uly had grown up, and she had too. Only now were they realising just what they meant to each other.

She looked deep into his blue eyes, seeing love and sincerity reflected there. Feelings, she knew, were mirrored in her own eyes. Along with wonder at the new feelings, and fear.

"I'm sorry, True," he apologised. She quietened him with a finger to his lips.

"No, don't be. Otherwise, I might have missed this." She took his hands in hers.
"There's nothing to stop us from being together," she said softly. "And there's no harm in trying."

Slowly, they drew together again as the clouds parted. "Look," whispered Uly. "Our moons."
"Always together, but held apart by cosmic forces they can't control," True realised. "But we can control our own futures. Do you want to take that chance?"

As moonlight streamed over the couple, he knew the answer. As Uly bent closer True, they both realised that a new era, one frightening, but full of promise, was beginning.

"I love you, True Danziger," he told her as he stared into the beautiful face before him.
"Ulysses..." she replied, just before their lips met in their first, perfect kiss.

The two moons smiled down from above.

-The End-


Author's notes: Sorry if it got too sappy at the end. I was in that kind of mood! Hope you liked it.

This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.