AFTER TWO MOONS HAVE CROSSED
By
Paula Sanders


Timeline: After "Moon Cross" (Day 61)
Author's E-Mail: paula.sanders@shawnee.org


AUTHOR'S NOTES:

Warning: If you don't like sentimental, mushy, and romantic stop reading right here!

This vignette probably doesn't need any explanation, but I will hit the highlights. It takes place directly following "Moon Cross". I realized the other day that I do not have a Julia and Alonzo vignette in my files. I wrote Morgan and Bess (Escapism) and Devon and Danziger (Sleepless Nights) but no Julia and Alonzo so I decided it was about time I did. ENJOY!

This is for Rosa Moran. A sweet, generous lady, who is fast becoming a great pal. :) Thank you, Rosa!

The following is a work of amateur fiction. It is not meant to infringe on any copyright laws held by anyone involved in the making of _Earth 2_

by Paula Sanders copyright 1995


AFTER TWO MOONS HAVE CROSSED

Moon Cross was over. The Outcasts had been accepted back into the earth. The spirits of Mary's parents could finally rest, knowing she was safe. *One more mystery of this planet revealed,* Alonzo Solace mused. And the Eden Advance Crew had a protected place to spend the winter.
Alonzo watched everyone scatter, after greeting the group of Devon, Alonzo, Danziger, and Uly upon their return to camp. Yale was heading back to the Adair tent, Uly in his arms, Devon hugging her friend's arm. Another disaster avoided. His eye scanned the camp for Julia and he finally spotted her as she ducked into her tent, pulling the flap closed behind her. The pilot bit his lower lip, glanced one more time at the group then headed for her tent.
"Julia?" Alonzo called as he entered Dr. Julia Heller's tent which also doubled as the medtent. Tonight he was not looking for the good doctor, he was looking for Julia, the gorgeous, amazing woman. He knew Julia was jealous of Mary's attachment to him. She probably wouldn't admit it to him but she was. And they needed to settle things between them.
Julia stood in front of her cot, back to him, hands raised as she tried to untie her hair from its ponytail. She spun around at the sound of his voice, lowering her hands when she saw him, her mouth dropping open ever so slightly.
"Alonzo, What are you doing here?" she asked, nervousness playing on her angular features.
"I'm not sure," he told her. "I guess I wanted to talk to you."
"About what?" she asked.
She turned away, as if to dismiss him. Julia and her damned defense mechanisms were keeping him at a distance. He wondered if they always would.
"About Mary," he said.
She looked up but did not turn. "Mary? I noticed she didn't come back with you all." Julia's voice was tense. "No, she stayed with the Terrians," he explained. "She says they're her family. She's home there."
"Oh." Julia turned around, relief washed over her face for a split second, before she masked it. "Well, I supposed she made the right decision. She has been socially bonded to the Terrians. Why did you want to talk to me about her?" "Because I'm confused," he answered honestly. He plunged ahead feeling reckless. "She got into my head. I had to dream with her to understand the Terrians and now I'm not sure if I can get her out of my head. She could get into my head whenever she wanted to. Even if I didn't want her to." He began to close the distance between them but she held him off.
"I don't want to hear it, Alonzo," she told him, her voice was like ice. "It doesn't matter."
"Yes, it does," he said. "Julia, I love you. You're the one I want to be with. She's no competition. I just wanted you to know that."
"I'm not so sure you believe what you say," she said, in an almost defeated tone, her gaze shifting from his to somewhere beyond his left shoulder.
"Why?" he asked.
"I don't want to talk about it," Julia snapped. "I really don't care what you're feelings are towards Mary." "Sure," Alonzo said, a grin tugged at the corners of his mouth. "Sure, you don't." He always liked Julia when her temper was up, the way her anger flickered dangerously in her eyes. "I don't," she snapped.
"You sure are getting a bit defensive, for someone who says she doesn't care." He stepped closer to her, seeing the amusement sparkling in her eyes, masked by annoyance. "Alonzo," Julia said, sighing. "What was I supposed to think? You brought this woman back to camp, she hung around you like a newly acquired puppy, you made no objections. And I'm supposed be fine with that?"
"You're supposed to trust me," Alonzo said. Deep down he knew he was torn. Dreaming with Mary had been amazing, unique. They were drawn toward each other because of their bond with the Terrians. But Julia, she had inhabited a special, permanent place in his mind and heart since that first day. Julia was feisty, caring, and beautiful. She had helped him to survive those first weeks here on this planet. Julia had cared about him when all he wanted to do was die. He never thought he would be thinking about wanting to spend the rest of his life with anyone, but now he did and Julia was that someone. He loved the feel of her in his arms, the smell of her, and the taste of her lips.
"What would have happened if she had stayed?" Julia asked point blank, her gaze never wavering from his, chin high, false confidence shining in her eyes.
"What do you mean?" Alonzo didn't want to think about this. Julia would always be and had always been the only one for him. Mary was just a child, and he only a curiosity to her, that was all she was capable of. Her time spent with the Terrians had buried her human traits, locking them away forever. She belonged with the Terrians.
"Would you have chosen her over me?" Julia could not believe she and Alonzo were even having this conversation. "Wait, don't answer that."
*I'm being silly, this is totally ridiculous,* she chided. This was not like her at all.
Julia had always prided herself on her ability to shut off her emotions and not get attached to people. Had always been taught that emotion got in the way of good judgement. A doctor was not supposed to get attached to her patients, it was better not to feel anything. Until Alonzo and this group of people. They had become her family. They had shown her what real companionship, loyalty, and love were. But Alonzo was more than that. No matter how much she tried to deny it she loved him. Loved his cocky grin, dark silky hair, his terrible jokes, and gentleness. He had come back for her when the group had abandoned her. Trusted her when no one else would. He had told her more than once that he loved her. But still she feared losing him to some other woman or, more likely, to his love of flying when the colony ship arrived.
"Mary was just scared when she came here," Alonzo defended. "She felt comfortable with me so I had to stay close to her. If I hadn't helped her she would have run off and we would never have found out what happened here." He took careful steps toward Julia. "It's very simple, Julia. Mary belongs with the Terrians and I belong here with you. "
"You sound pretty sure of yourself, Flyboy" she said, giving him one of her best impassive stares.
"Aren't I always." He closed the distance between them and alarm bells began sounding in Julia's head. She wanted to keep Alonzo at a distance, needed to keep him at a distance to maintain her composure. She wasn't sure how to handle this situation. She was scared silly by the prospect of getting serious with Alonzo. He was a sleep jumper. All he had ever wanted to do was fly. Just like her compulsion to be a doctor, he was a pilot first and foremost. That would never leave him. Could she count on him remaining with her? Could she risk the hurt? And she knew he had a reputation as a ladies man, leaving a broken heart in every port. Would he be faithful? She thought here, at least for a while, she was safe from that question. They were miles from anywhere and there was little chance of any other woman coming along and stealing him away. At least that is what she had thought, and she had allowed her doctor's armor to drop. Then he had come waltzing back to camp with Mary. She was surprised by the strength of her jealousy. Knew logically she had no right to be jealous. What claim did she have on Alonzo? And what was there, exactly, that she had to be jealous of?
Alonzo reached a hand up to lift the think curl which dangled in front of her eyes. His fingertips exerted the barest of pressure on her cheek and jaw. Julia felt her skin grow warm. "I have never been more sure of anything and unsure all at the same time," he told her, grinning nervously. "Julia, you make me feel things I never thought I was capable of feeling." "And what are those things?" Julia asked, not so successful now at maintaining her impassive stare as he took her hand in his.
"I used to look at time as something I could out run. I'd take a coldsleep run wake up and it would be twenty years later. The whole world would change. Time had passed but I was unchanged. Now, when I think of the future and tomorrow I see days stretching out before me, with you. I think about the days, weeks, months, years. I imagine where we'll be in twenty years. And I think how much fun it will be getting there. I don't want to wake up one morning and find that it's twenty years later. I want to live and experience every one of those days with you." Julia could do nothing but stare up at him, stunned. Finally, she forced her hands out of his.
"Aren't you getting just a little ahead of yourself?" A nervous grin betrayed her true feelings to him and there was nothing she could do about it.
"Right now, all I need to know is that my feelings for you haven't changed just because some other woman came across my path. And I don't see them changing any time soon." Julia relaxed, as his words sank in. He did care about her, she knew that. Still, a voice in the back of her mind was telling her to be cautious.
"Alonzo, you know me. You know this isn't easy for me." Julia stopped and held his gaze. "I don't want to rush into anything. I don't want us to make plans we can't promise we'll keep." "Okay, then," he said, braving her personal space. "How do you feel about the here and now? That seems to be somethin' we're both good at."
"Right now?" Julia breathed, swallowing hard. The musky, familiar, intoxicating fragrance of his leather jacket wafted to her as he shifted his arms to embrace her. He nodded. "What do you feel, right now?" "That's a loaded question and you know it, Solace," she replied. She side-stepped out of his embrace, creating some distance between them. "I told you before you frighten me. I'm frightened of my feelings. I've never felt this strongly about anyone. I don't want you to break my heart." "Hey," he said and quickly moved to her. "I told you, I'm not gonna break your heart."
"You aren't," she whispered.
"I'm not," he returned and placing his hands on either side of her face, bent to kiss her.
Julia leaned into him, drinking in that scent and taste which was uniquely Alonzo. She felt the world begin to spin away from her as he tightened his hold, deepening the kiss, and her desire for him wiped away any other thoughts or reservations she might have had as they tumbled together back onto her cot.


Julia Heller drifted near sleep, blissfully happy, curled up next to Alonzo Solace on her cot. Shared body heat made it warm under the blankets with him. He shifted and mumbled something unintelligible, then cleared his throat. "Julia," he whispered. "You amaze me." She laughed. "You're not so bad yourself." She stretched up to meet his lips in a slow, lingering kiss. His hand smoothed over her side, sending shivers through her.
"You're beautiful, Querida," Alonzo whispered close to her ear. "And damned sexy." She could feel his grin against her cheek. She blushed, trying to stifle and giggle. "What? Hasn't anyone ever told you that?"
"No," she answered.
"I don't know why that surprises me, but it does." His hand continued its coarse over her bare skin. "I thought you had dated some guy back on the stations."
"I did," she said quietly, her hand making lazy circles along his bare chest.
"What happened?"
Julia fidgeted. "It didn't last very long," Julia remembered, with no bitterness. "Most guys think women are *too* emotional. He thought I wasn't emotional *enough*." "He obviously had no idea what he was talking about," Alonzo replied and kissed her again.
Julia wondered briefly how all this had happened. When she'd taken this mission her sole purpose had been to help the Council secure this planet. She had not planned on finding a family. And not by any stretch of the imagination could she have predicted she would find a man like Alonzo, who loved her for all she was and could be.
"Alonzo, can I ask you something?"
"Sure, anything."
"How many women were there, for you?" He shifted uncomfortably as she propped herself up to gaze into his eyes, a piercing stare.
"Not as many as you think," he answered. "I was never around long enough. I won't lie to you I had my fair share of one night stands, but mostly, before it could go any further than the flirting stage I was flyin' again. There was one woman, though, Lydia. We used to meet at the Gastonia Starbase, when I took leaves. But, that was just for fun, it never really meant anything."
"And what does *this* mean?" she asked, point blank. "I love you, Julia," he replied. "And I don't think I have ever been in love with anyone before."
"Then how do you know that it's love, this time?" "What's with all the questions?" he said, leaning back. "What does it matter?"
"It just does," she snapped. "Why me, Alonzo? I'm nothing special? I'm not extremely beautiful, like Bess or Devon. I'm not sweet and demure. I don't know how to be sexy, no matter what you say."
"That's just it, Julia," he said, cutting her off. "My plainness is what attracted you? Oh come on." Julia sat up, pulling one of the blankets around her like armor. "That's the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time." "No, that's not what I meant, and you know it." He scooted closer to her. "You are the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. It's because you are the opposite of those things you listed. Your smart, your temper can out do mine any day, and you modest. You have no idea how wonderful you are. And I want to show you and the universe just how special you are." "You really know how to lay it on, Flyboy." He growled, his head lowering. "Julia, would you stop it. I love you, more that I ever have anyone in my life. Quit fighting me."
"I'm sorry, 'Lonzo," she said. "I know. It's just not easy for me to believe."
"I know," he said, caressing his cheek. "Hey, I could ask you the same question. Why do you care about me?" She remained silent for a long moment, staring down at her lap.
"What a question," she said, smiling self consciously. "Now, I'm almost sorry I asked it."
He laughed. She reached out and laid a hand on his shoulder, as she often had to check his vitals with the dia-glove, but this time she let her hand slide down and over his chest. "Because you're all those things I'm not," she told him. "You're free and confident. You've never been tethered, ever. Those first weeks here it hurt me to see that part of you crushed. I had to help you find a new balance." "You are my balance, Querida," Alonzo told her. He leaned closer and drew her into a kiss. She let him pull her over him, abandoning her blanket for the warmth of him.


Alonzo Solace woke in the morning to find he had the cot to himself. Julia must have already gone out to get breakfast. He rose and dressed quickly, heading out into camp, in search of the beautiful doctor.
He pulled open the door to the Biodome, ignoring the exchange of glances between Walman, Magus, and Baines who were already up and had seen him come from Julia's tent. He found Julia at the end of the breakfast line between Denner and True Danziger. Devon, who was serving this morning, handed Eben her bowl of rations. There was a certain uneasiness about the doctor, caused obviously by the group, not True and Denner, they were both either oblivious or too kind to say anything. But with the others it was hard to say. He felt himself begin to squirm. He got in line and was surprised when Denner moved around Julia so that they could stand next to each other.
"I was surprised to find you gone this morning," he whispered. "Not here," she hissed.
He nodded, grinning, then leaned closer, "So, where did you go?" he asked.
"I promised Devon I would help her with inventory this morning," Julia replied quietly.
"Oh, no. Don't involve *me* in this," Devon piped up, from where she was serving True porridge, a wide grin on her face. Julia's wide-eyed gaze shot up to her friend. Alonzo started to laugh, but was stopped short when Julia's venomous gaze landed on him.
John Danziger got in line behind Alonzo, while the pilot was still struggling to recover with respect to Julia. He heard a short, quiet laugh, and turned to face the mechanic, who was grinning devilishly.
"You know, Solace," Danziger said. "I could've sworn I saw Julia wearing that sweater yesterday."
Alonzo quickly looked down at what he was wearing, to find that John was right. The sweater he was wearing, he had remembered being big and baggy on Julia, fit him perfectly. "Well, you know how things get all mixed up," he said as he turned back to Julia, and was surprised to find her stifling a laugh as she stepped up to Devon.
He and Julia collected their breakfast from Devon without further comment. But he could feel all eyes on them. Alonzo glanced at Julia and could see the supreme effort she was using to keep her dignity. He smiled at her, knowing he would have to learn to be more discrete, if he hoped to keep Julia, and wishing that she would learn to loosen up.
But that was, he mused, what would make their partnership so much fun. They were opposites, perfectly fitted to one another.

-The End-


comments and feedback to: paula.sanders@shawnee.org

This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.