THE JOURNEY CONTINUED SAGA (PART 1)
WHILE SHE LAY DYING
By
Paula Sanders


Timeline: Trying to cure Devon
Author's E-Mail: paula.sanders@shawnee.org


AUTHOR'S NOTES:

Whew! *huge sigh of relief.* It is finally done and ready to be shared. My view of how Devon might get out of cold-sleep. ENJOY! Other segments of the continued journey to New Pacifica will follow. But, please be patient with me.

I'd like to thank Tara O'Shea for editing, grammar lessons, letting me bounce ideas off of her and for that insanely long phone call last week. (tara - you have no idea how much I needed that call.)

This is a work of amateur fiction not meant to infringe on any copyright. . . yada yada yada . . . oh you know the rest, my hands are tired.


While She Lay Dying (1/6)
by Paula Sanders
copyright 1995

Dr. Julia Heller
**We came here thinking this place Eden, in our quest to save ourselves. It never occurred to us that Eden did not offer salvation. And now we are banished. The Terrians have banished us. We are unwelcome trespassers on this planet; nomad wanderers, so close to death. New Pacifica hangs somewhere in the invisible distance, waiting for us. Beckoning. It may wait forever.**

The sun was sinking low on the horizon as Julia Heller emerged from the med tent, to join the obligatory evening conference. Thirteen pairs of eyes stared expectantly at her, but she had no good news to tell her friends. The illness which was killing Devon was still a mystery. It was as if something had attacked her entire body, not just portions of it; everything had broken down at once, not in pieces. With Devon locked in the cold-sleep crypt the doctor could not perform any tests on her, and she still had more questions than answers. She felt completely helpless. Her throat was tight with the tears she had been holding back, in order to get her work done. All her training, even her oh-so-perfect gene skewing, could not help Devon. This disease, whatever it was, defied everything she knew.

Alonzo silently appeared at her side and she leaned into his comforting embrace. He lead her to a seat by the fire and Bess handed her a steaming cup.

Julia looked at all her friends, scattered around the campfire. Denner was sitting close to the fire, her dark eyes staring into her drink. She was always such a quiet woman, it was often easy to forget she was there. Baines sat next to her, staring into the fire. Julia noticed that he and Denner were holding hands, though they were trying to hide it. Under different circumstances Julia was certain that Baines and Denner would be Bess's next target for her matchmaking magic. But Bess was too grief-stricken and busy taking care of everyone to think of anything else. She and her husband, Morgan were huddled together, comforting each other. Walman, Mazati, and Magus seemed to be finding solace in just sitting together quietly.

Walman was grieving for Devon, though he tried to put on a brave face. He had always respected Devon Adair, as their leader and as a woman, always backing her up, never questioning. Remembering how protective he had been when Julia had rejoined the group brought a quiet smile to her face. He had hardly let Devon out of his sight and he had become like Julia's shadow. That respect had grown into something stronger, at least on Walman's part. But he knew that she would never reciprocate. He, as well as the rest of the group, knew it was only a matter of time before she and Danziger stopped fighting and realized that they were in love.

Cameron sat on the ground, his back against a crate, staring into the fire. He was still grieving for Eben. He and Eben had quickly latched on to each other after arriving on this planet and, with a little helpful nudging from Bess, had become the woman's first victims, or at least her first success. Added to that pain was the loss of Devon. It was going to take Cameron time before he would come out of it all.

Finally, the doctor's gaze landed on Danziger, who sat with True snuggled against one side, Uly on his other side leaning against Yale.

Uly had accepted Danziger's offer to care for him but he was not responding to it well. He had been very quiet and withdrawn, sticking close to Yale. Julia could not blame him. The little boy had just lost a mother who had been the whole world to him. He was very much alone, even surrounded by people who cared about him.

The doctor's eyes shifted to Danziger. She worried about John. Though, he had done what he had to do, taken over as leader of the group, for the past day and a half, he had been distant and detached, very unlike himself. No matter how much he might have hated what the group was doing he was always there to make sure it got done and to look after their welfare. Yesterday, he told the crew they were going to leave, the morning after they had placed Devon into cold-sleep, but the group had voted him down. No one would leave Devon behind. Julia had sided with Danziger. There was nothing they could do for her and they certainly could not stay here forever. As John would say, New Pacifica was not getting any closer and the 250 Syndrome families were counting on them. But with Devon gone it was hard for the group to remember their primary goal here; getting to New Pacifica. Somehow, Julia and John just did not have the power to get the group motivated the way Devon had.

Danziger had given in much too easily, when the crew had challenged his authority. He did not want to leave Devon anymore than the rest of them did. Julia suspected that Devon meant a lot more to him than any of them had ever realized, especially the two of them. She remembered Alonzo laughing about how riled John had become when the pilot had been intoxicated by a spider bite and gone on and on about Devon. Alonzo's impassioned babbling had hit a nerve with Danziger, and just for a moment, and painfully for the pilot, the mechanic's jealousy had surfaced. Alonzo had also shared Devon's confession, "I hate to admit how much I've come to depend on that man. Maybe even more than that." Julia and Alonzo had privately joked about working a little bit of matchmaking magic of their own, one day. But now it was too late.

*No,* Julia told herself, forcefully. It was not too late. Devon was still alive. The cryosleep chamber had arrested the advancement of the disease and Devon was safe for now. She would find a way to save Devon. She would.

"Okay, people. Listen up," John Danziger's forceful voice broke into her thoughts. He had gotten to his feet and taken on an authoritative stance. "We can not stay here in this valley any longer. Tomorrow at sun up, we pack up and move out."

Julia stared up at him in disbelief. She had known that he would get around to it at some point, but she had not expected it so quickly. She expected them to stay here a few more days, at least.

"We can't leave Devon," Bess protested. "I won't leave her." "Bess," Morgan said, pulling her closer. "No, we can't just leave her here," she protested, pulling away from him. "Devon needs us." Morgan lowered his head, ashamed. John stepped closer to Bess and crouched in front of her, taking her hands in his.

"Hey, Bess. I know how you feel. But Devon is safe where she is. There's nothin' more we can do for her, now." John turned to look at Julia. "Am I right?" Julia felt stunned as everyone turned to her. She sighed and nodded.

"Yes, Devon is safe where she is, for now," she confirmed. John got to his feet.

"Bess, we're not giving up on Devon. We'll find a way to cure this. . . whatever it is," he assured her. "But, right now, we owe it to Devon to keep going," he told the group. "We have to make it to New Pacifica."

*What else are we gonna do?* Julia thought, but wisely kept to herself.

"NO!" All eyes turned to Ulysses Adair, who had surged to his feet. "You can't leave her, here alone," he shouted. John and Yale both reached for him but the boy bolted, running into the shadows behind the tents. John started after him but Yale caught his arm.

"Let him go," Yale said. "He has his wristlock on. He can't go far without us being notified." John nodded, but bent down to whisper something in True's ear. Julia suspected he was telling her to go check on Uly. The two children were, for all their bickering, becoming good friends. True quietly got to her feet and slipped away from the campfire. John turned back to the group.

"I know this is hard, but we have no choice," he told them. Julia balked. How many times had she heard those words? And they were always wrong. There was always a choice.

"He's right," Walman said, adding his voice to Danziger's. "Those families are expecting a fully operational outpost when they get here. We have to go." Danziger nodded to Walman, thankfully. Julia watched as everyone nodded their agreement, but without looking at Danziger, or anyone else. They stared at their feet.

"Okay, then it's settled," Danziger said, then turned away from all of them and went off in the direction Uly had taken. Julia admired the courage it must have taken for him to stand up and make the decision to leave. The romantic side of her, nurtured by Alonzo, thought his heart was probably breaking. She leaned heavily against Alonzo.

"As much as I'd like to stay here, I have work to do," she told Alonzo. He sighed and let her go.


"This is insane." Bess looked up at her husband, Morgan as she let the tent flap drop closed.

"What, Morgan?" she asked, a little impatient. "What's insane."

"This, Bess," he answered, making a wide gesture. "This whole thing. Devon's the one who wanted to come here. She dragged us all half way across the galaxy, to this god forsaken planet full of homicidal maniacs, an orbiting, schizoid computer, and creatures who want us all dead. Now she's dead and we're stuck here." Morgan babbled as he paced, agitated.

"Morgan, calm down," Bess said, placing a hand on his arm. "Calm down?! Calm down. Bess, we have been here six months and I've already lost count of how many times I've nearly lost my life. Maybe you don't value it but I do."

"Morgan, that's a terrible thing to say. You know you mean the world to me." He calmed and put his arm around his wife.

"I know sweetie. I'm sorry. It's just. . . I . . . I wish we had never come here," he admitted.

Bess did not know how many times she had heard that confession and he always stammered though it. She knew he did not really mean it now, as he had before.

"First, the crash," Morgan continued, off again. "And then, Devon snaps her fingers and says we're all going to march across the continent to New Pacifica. Just like that."

"We took a vote, Morgan," Bess reminded. "Not me. I didn't vote."
Bess was trying hard to be patient with her husband, but all her nerves were raw. Devon was not supposed to die. She defied everything on the chance of life and a better future. How could she die? Bess had not always liked Devon but she had come to respect her and learned to like her. She did not know how Danziger could just leave her behind. Even Julia had sided with him. To Bess this meant that there was no hope for Devon. If Julia was giving up then Devon was truly dead.

"Morgan, Devon couldn't have done anything about the crash. It wasn't her fault."

"Well, it was her fault that she pushed the Council," he said, cutting her off. "Bess, you know what they are capable of. I knew even before we came here. She should never have pushed them. She should never have left the stations."

"She had to. Her son was dying and this place was the best hope for him," Bess explained. How many times had they been through this? She was getting a little tired of it.

"Well, why did she have to die?" Morgan asked, desperately. Bess stared at him, surprised. Then, the full weight of her grief hit her and she collapsed on the cot, covering her face, letting her hair conceal her tears from him.

Morgan stared down at his wife, his heart heavy. Her shoulders began to shake; she was crying. Carefully, he sat down beside her and pulled her close.

"Morgan, she can't die," Bess pleaded. He caressed her shoulder, holding her tighter. He could not bear to see Bess hurting. When they had all been so sick from the break down of the Council implants, Bess had been declining faster than the rest. After Eben died he had been convinced that Bess would be the next to go. He had been terrified that she would die and leave him alone in this hell hole. She was the only thing that kept him sane, wherever they were. He needed her and she needed him; God only knows why, but she did. He just wished there was something he could do to help Devon.

"Everything is gonna be all right, Bess." He could hardly believe he was hearing himself say the words. Bess tightened her hold on him and he kissed her hair. "Everything will be all right."


"Uly," True called. "Uly, where are you?"

True Danziger picked her way through the brush, searching for Ulysses Adair. The light was getting steadily dimmer and if she did not find him soon, she never would; not tonight, anyway.

*Why did he have to run off like that?* she grumbled. Now she was stuck out here looking for him with no idea where he went. He could be anywhere.

"Ow," she yelped, when a particularly gnarled branch caught her leg. She looked down to see a huge rip in her trousers and a nasty scrap. "Oh great," she groaned, unconsciously using her father's expression.

"Uly, you better be out here somewhere," she said to the breeze. Then, a faint sniffle caught her ears. All of the jealousy and animosity she had felt for the boy melted away at the sound, replaced by empathy and understanding. He was no longer Devon Adair's precious, perfect baby, he was Uly, a frightened, lonely boy, and her friend.

"Uly." True pushed aside a bush to find Uly crouched under it.

"Go away," he growled. True ignored him and sank to her knees, crawling in to join him.

"Where were you planning on going?" she asked. "Nowhere," he answered, then he grabbed the alarm bracelet and sent it spinning around on his wrist. "Not as long as I have this stupid thing on." The memory of Gaal came rushing back to True and brought with it a sharp pain. He had shown her how to unlock it; it was easy.

"Uly, it doesn't do any good to run away," she told him. "I'm not running away," he defended. "Right," she said. "So, what do you call running off when my dad and Yale were trying to help you?" He did not answer her and True did not push it.

"You're lucky, you know," she said, shocking him. "I never knew my mother. She died before I was even born."

"Really?" Uly asked, surprised.
"My dad showed her to me in VR. She was all hooked up to life support stuff, and they had shaved her head. But I thought she was the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen. I wanted to learn everything I could about her. But my dad doesn't really like to talk about her so I don't know that much." True felt the tightness in her throat as the tears surfaced. "You're luck you had a mother to read you bedtime stories, sing to you and kiss you goodnight. At least you had her for awhile."

Uly hugged his knees tighter, fighting off tears. "I want her back," he stated, miserably. "We all do," True told him, touching his shoulder. She wanted Devon back very much. Not just because things ran a whole lot smoother around here while she was in charge, but because she liked Devon. And she wanted to see her father smile again.

Uly was eyeing his wrist lock again, making True nervous. "True, you know how to get this thing off, don't you?" he asked the dreaded question. She nodded. "Then show me."

"I can't do that, Uly."
"Please, True." She did not budge. He glared at her. "I won't go back to camp. I hate them. I hate them all. They don't care about Mom. All they care about is stupid New Pacifica. They're just going to abandoned her. Well, I won't."

"We're not abandoning her, Uly. You heard what my dad said. We have to think of the colonists. And your mom is safe where she is. Nothing will happen to her in cold-sleep."

"Please, True help me get this thing off," he begged. "I just want to go away."

"Where?"
"To the Terrians," he said. "They're my friends, they'll understand. They'll help me."

True could not ignore the voice in her head which was telling her that she should help Uly. It wasn't wrong. He just wanted to go to the Terrians. He was part Terrian. None of them understood exactly what the Terrian's had done to Uly. But True was his closest friend and the one who had listened to him carry on about how cool the Terrians were. She at least understood what the Terrians meant to Uly. Maybe, he was right. Maybe, they could help him through this. She reached over and took his hand.

"You press here. One - Two - Three." The lock snapped open. "True, Uly." They both jumped at the sound of her father's voice.

True quickly grabbed the lock and snapped it shut around Uly's wrist, again.

"True," he protested.
"You're gonna get us both in trouble if you run now," she said. She pulled him, unwillingly, out from under to bush to meet her father.

End of part 1


While She Lay Dying (2/6)
by Paula Sanders
copyright 1995

"Querida," Alonzo said, sneaking up behind Julia at her table. She shivered at the feel of his breath against her ear. "You could use some sleep. I don't think Devon would want you killing yourself like this." She nodded. "And you'll be no good for travelling tomorrow if you don't get some rest."

"I don't think I can sleep, Alonzo," she admitted. "There must be something I'm missing. Something that's right under my nose. That's where the answer always seems to be when it's been eluding me." Alonzo smiled and kissed her shoulder. "What?" she scowled.

"Nothing," he answered. "Devon's lucky she has you." "Have you heard anything from the Terrians?" she asked. Yesterday, without telling the others, Julia had asked Alonzo to contact the Terrians in this valley. It was a last ditch effort. Maybe the Terrians knew what was happening to Devon. If, like Elizabeth had said, the planet was rejecting Devon then maybe they could cure her. It was worth a try. But it was a long shot, and that was why she had not told the rest of the group.

"Yes," he said, but did not sound hopeful. "They don't want to have anything to do with us. Remember the tribe near the winter camp? The ones that fired on us."

"Yes," Julia said, then turning to look at him, asked, "Are they somehow related to the Terrians here?" He nodded. "Then it's not safe here."

"No, I don't think they're dangerous. But they won't help us," Alonzo told her. "That much is clear."

Julia sighed and leaned back against Alonzo, he encircled her with his arms.

"If only I could get into Elizabeth's logs. She probably knew more about this planet than I do," Julia said. "I can't stop thinking that the information in her logs holds the key to what is happening here. But they're locked up, and I don't know the first thing about cracking codes."

"I think I can help you there." Julia and Alonzo spun around to see Morgan Martin standing in front of the tent flap. "I got pretty good at breaking codes back on the stations."

Julia stared at him, stunned for a moment, then grabbed his arm and dragged him out of the tent.

"Come on, Morgan," she said.
"Hey, Julia wait. Slow down," he said, struggling to get his feet back under himself and through the tent flap without bumping his head.

Julia only let go of Morgan when she arrived at the ship and realized she could not drag him down the ladder. She released her grip on him and climbed down the ladder, followed closely by Morgan. It surprised her that he had stepped forward to offer his help. He did not often volunteer for anything. But she knew how much Devon meant to all of them. They would all do anything they could to bring her back. In that respect, Morgan was no different from the rest of them. He had changed so much from the shallow, self-centered politician who had landed on this planet.

Morgan sat down at one of the stations and began searching for the files. Julia stood behind him, hovering like an insect.

"Do you think you can do it?" she asked. She was desperate. She had to know what was in Elizabeth's logs. Julia was getting nowhere in finding a cure for Devon with her own information. Maybe, by adding Elizabeth's knowledge to her own she could find the cure.

"This is such an out dated system. I don't know," he answered, his face screwed up in concentration. Julia fought the impulse to lash out at Morgan, controlling her anger. He turned and smiled. "I've worked on worse system and still broken the code." He turned back to the machine and continued snooping around.

"There isn't a code out there that could keep Morgan Martin out," he boasted.

"I hope you're right." Julia began pacing, impatiently. Her eyes kept drifting away to the cold-sleep crypt where Devon slept. She finally gave up trying to fight the impulse and walked into the crypt. It seemed such a eerie place, now. Before when the cryosleep tubes had been full of Bennett and crew she had felt indifferent about it. But now the leader of their group, and a woman she had come to respect and consider a friend was occupying one of those tubes and suddenly, this place felt like a morgue. When they had put Devon inside Julia had had to tear herself away, ignoring the helpless feelings, working to convince herself that there was a cure and that she would find it. Standing in front of the cryotube now, staring at Devon, her guilt surfaced. Devon had come to expect Julia to be able to solve any puzzle. This was one puzzle Julia was afraid she might not be able to solve.

*How could I have missed that her symptoms were different from ours?* Julia asked herself. They had all gotten sick so fast Julia did not have time to think about anything else but finding a cure. Devon was at the bottom of the curve, so when the illness had finally attacked her, Julia had assumed it was the same thing. It never occurred to her that something different might be wrong with Devon. She should have been more careful, more observant, more meticulous.

"Eureka!" Morgan cried out, making the doctor jump. "You did it?" Julia came rushing back into the control room. "Piece of cake," he told her, leaned back in the chair, grinning proudly.

"Thank you, Morgan," she said, smiling broadly. He relinquished the chair to her and backed away, leaving her to her work. Julia began downloading the files to her scanner to take back to her tent for study.


Dr. Elizabeth Anson Log Entry
Station calendar year: 2165
Day 1 on planet G889

"This place is more beautiful than I could ever have imagined. The sky; I never dreamed it could be so blue. And the air is so fresh, not like the stale, recycled air on the stations. There are so many colors; colors I'd never seen before. I went exploring this afternoon. I needed to stretch my legs. All that time spent in cold-sleep has numbed my brain and body. Franklin trailed behind me. He said I was crazy for going off alone. He was frightened for me. He's such a dear. But what harm could such a beautiful place do me? We found a stream where the water rushes over rocks. I took off my shoes and dangled my feet in it. Franklin called me a silly, foolish girl for doing it, and I reminded him that's why he loves me. He couldn't argue that. This is such a beautiful place. It's hard to imagine that Earth ever looked like this. . ."

Dr. Elizabeth Anson Log Entry
Station calendar year: 2167
Day 20 of second year on planet G889

". . . Thomas had another of those dreams last night. None of us can explain them and they frighten him. He says, in the dreams creatures spring up from the earth around him. They encircle him, curiously watching him. They carry staffs and look vaguely human. He says they talk to him. They call themselves Terrians. China suspects that this is their way of communicate with us. She understands the planet so much better than the rest of us. . ."

Julia scanned ahead through the data logs, finding most of the entries to be catalogs of the flora and fauna, about diseases they encountered, and about their attempt to get Eve up and running.

Dr. Elizabeth Anson Log Entry
Station calendar year: 2175
Day 220 of eighth year on planet G889

". . .Eve is safely up in orbit. We launched her two days ago and she settled into a stable orbit at 1600 hours today. We are all so overjoyed. After eight long years of hard, sometimes tedious work, the computer is finally operational. Franklin says we shouldn't celebrate too soon. I know there are still bugs to be worked out and minor adjustments to be made. But she is up there and now we will have a way of communicating with the Council, back home. . ."

Dr. Elizabeth Anson Log Entry
Station calendar year: 2175
Day 340 of eighth year on planet G889

". . .The Terrians sent Thomas another dream last night. The dreams have been coming regularly now and they are more and more disturbing to him. He woke up hollering for them to get out of his head. He says they were screaming in his head. They are angry. They don't want us here. They know we plan to colonize this planet and they won't allow it. The planet will fight us. He says they will kill us. . ."

Dr. Elizabeth Anson Log Entry
Station calendar year: 2175
Day 345 of eighth year on planet G889

". . .Everyone is paranoid and guarding themselves. We all wonder when the Terrians will strike. And we are plagued by illness. China is sick, now and I have no idea what is causing it. She gets weaker everyday. Thomas and Burton came down with the virus two days ago. It is reminiscent of cold-sleep syndrome, but that can't be what it is. Not after eight years. . ."

Dr. Elizabeth Anson Log Entry
Station calendar year: 2175
Day 347 of eighth year on planet G889

". . .Caroline came to me this morning complaining of shortness of breath and stomach pains. Her heart rate is much too fast. Magda had a coughing fit and collapsed at her station, this afternoon. She is weak and her temperature is climbing, just like the others. I fear Franklin and I will be next. I already feel weak and Franklin has been sleeping far too much and not eating enough these past few days. And I still haven't a clue. . ."

Dr. Elizabeth Anson Log Entry
Station calendar year: 2175
Day 348 of eighth year on planet G889

". . .We are all dying. Every treatment I try fails. We've come to the conclusion, from our studies of this planet, that it is a living organism. I believe we are like foreign bacteria to this planet. So, like an immune system fighting off a virus, this planet is rejecting us. We won't survive this unless we leave the planet. But we are alone here. Eve is our only link to the Council back home but none of our communications will reach the stations for decades. Fifty years ago we left the stations to come here, sent by the Council. But, that Council no longer exists. Eve tells us that there has been talk, of dumping prisoners, their refuse, here on this miraculous planet. They plan to use this Eden for their jail. We can not let that happen. But there is no way to make them hear us. We are desolate, abandoned. . ."

Dr. Elizabeth Anson Log Entry
Station calendar year: 2175
Day 350 of eighth year on planet G889

". . .Our health declines rapidly, but we have yet to lose anyone. I can't think of anything else to do but leave this place. Franklin and the others have taken my advice. We are going into cold-sleep and Eve will send us home. We know we cannot leave Eve up in orbit. As long as Eve is up there, the Council will have control of this planet. Once we get home, Eve will die, and the Council will have no control over this planet. Franklin has seen to that. They cannot have this planet. We would be condemning millions of people to death if we let the Council have it. G889 must be left in peace."

That was her last entry.

Julia's shoulders sank and she let her head drop onto her folded arms. The Council had left them alone on this planet, after promising them they would do great things for humanity. Julia could understand how betrayed they felt. The Council had played on her loyalty and forced her to do things, against her own code of ethics. It was only these people, of the Eden Project, who had given her the strength to turn her back on the Council before they turned their backs on her.

For all her knowledge of this planet, Elizabeth's data was fifty years old. It was incomplete data. The Terrians had obviously changed their views on humans and were trying to learn to live with them. They had tried to create a link between the two species, in hopes of understanding each other better. They had failed with Mary and any number of other children and finally succeed with Ulysses Adair. So, Elizabeth could have been wrong when she said they would all die and that the planet would reject them. But the planet *was* rejecting Devon. Why had it singled Devon out to die?

"Julia." Alonzo entered the tent. When he saw that Julia still had her nose in the files, where he had left her hours before, he scowled. "Are you still at it?"

"I can't quit now, Alonzo," she told him, pushing her bangs out of her eyes. "I'm so close. The planet is rejecting Devon. Elizabeth was right."

"Why?" Alonzo asked, hopeful. Julia shook her head. "I don't know yet. I haven't figured that out." Alonzo took one look at the dark circles under her bloodshot eyes and dishevelled appearance, and laid his hands on her shoulder. She had been working for about twenty-four hours straight.

"Come on, doc. You're going to get some sleep. I promise you this will all be here in the morning." She started to protest and he held up a quieting finger. "Hey, don't make me pull out a sedaderm. I know how to use one." She smiled, weakly at his terrible joke and allowed him to lead her to her cot.

end part 2


While She Lay Dying (3/6)
by Paula Sanders
copyright 1995

John Danziger bent over the dunerail, checking the solar collectors. The vehicles had always been a problem, and he was constantly fixing them. They were not meant for this kind of long haul. He did not know how much more of this journey they could take. He did not know how much more of this journey any of them could take. This planet could easily destroy everything and it did not seem to care what the thing it destroyed might mean to them.

He and True had managed to calm Uly down and help him to realize that they had to leave this valley. At least, they thought they had convinced him. Uly was becoming so hard to read. He no longer the sweet, innocent boy he had been when they landed. The transformation the Terrians had begun in the boy had changed him, greatly and that fact was becoming more and more apparent every day. After making sure that Uly was going to be all right, John had sent the children off to bed, leaving Yale to watch over them.

Out of the corner of his eye Danziger saw Walman approaching. The other man sidled up to the dunerail, looking it over.

"Need any help?" Walman asked.
"No, I can handle it," John told him, too harshly. "Hey." Walman's hands went up defensively. "I just thought you might need an extra hand."

Stepping around to the other side of the dunerail, Walman eyed John in a way that made the mechanic nervous.

Danziger could feel himself bristling and he could not seem to control it. He wished Walman would just turn around a leave him alone. It was hard enough keeping up the appearance of composure and hopefulness without someone hanging over his shoulder everywhere he went. He did not know how Adair had ever done it. It was driving him insane.

Walman's gaze shifted to Bennett's ship, and John's followed it.

Walman made a short nervous laugh and said, "I keep expecting her to come marchin' down here into camp and start kickin' our butts into action."

Danziger stared at Walman in stunned silence. Then, deliberately turned away, back to his work.

"This must be hard on you, man." Walman said, sympathetically. "Suddenly, all the responsibility you two used to share is all dumped in your lap. I mean you two made a great team. One person can't lead this ragtag group. Though, Devon sure tried."

"Walman," Danziger barked. "Would you just get out of my hair."

"All right, I'm leaving," Walman said and turned around. John watched him go, a sinking feeling began in him. He should not have treated his friend that way. He dragged his hands through his hair. *God, Adair we need you back.*

He shook himself out of his grief and snatched up a tool. Danziger tried to work, but his attention kept straying, to Devon. He leaned on the rail and took a swig from his thermos, looking up the hill, to where the starship was moored. With the lights shining on it, it stood out like an ancient light house from Earth legend; those towers which stood sentinel on shore, shining a beacon to lead the seafarers safely home. The gleaming metal of the ship drew his eyes as those lighthouses had drawn sailors centuries ago.

"Ah, hell," he growled. He glanced over his shoulder to see that no one would see him as he left camp and climbed the hill to the ship.


Yale stood outside John Danziger's tent, scanning the camp for the mechanic. It had been a good fifteen minutes since Danziger had left the children with him, while he checked on the dunerail. Uly and True were very quiet when her father had brought them back to camp, both children's eyes puffy and bloodshot. Uly was suffering greatly, though he did not seem to be accepting the truth, that his mother might die. True on the other hand was convinced that Devon would never get better. Yale wondered if the little girl was associating the loss of Devon with the loss of a mother she had never known. Normally, such an optimistic girl she could not be convinced that Devon was going to recover. Yale grieved with them.

With the children now safely tucked into their beds and fast asleep, Yale's concern shifted to the absent Danziger. The man was, conspicuously, not at the dunerail and nowhere in sight. Yale saw that Baines was on watch and approached him.

"Baines, have you seen Danziger?" Yale asked. "Isn't he working on the dunerail?" Baines asked. "No," Yale answered. Baines turned to look and Yale saw his mouth fall open when he saw no Danziger where there had been only moments before. Yale could think of many things to say to the young man but he decided not to reprimand. As he gazed around the camp his eyes fell on the starship and he knew where John had gone. He also knew that it was best to keep this fact quiet. Needing privacy, John had slipped away from camp, hoping no one would miss him.

"Should I alert camp?" Baines asked. Yale laid a quieting hand on his shoulder. "I don't think we need to worry the group about this," he said, then returned to the tent and the two sleeping children.


It was dark inside Bennett's ship, but the glow of the instrument panels let Danziger see enough to know he was not going to bump into anything. He did not know quite why he was here. An inner voice was scolding, calling him names, telling him to turn around, he was being silly. But he kept moving forward, through the control room and to the cold-sleep crypt. The only light on in the room was the light inside the cryotube where Devon stood, wrapped in a white robe. She looked different. Like some imaginary, unattainable object; not like the woman who had spent the last six months driving him nuts. She was frozen. There was no measure of time for her now, but she had known what had happened to her. She had been conscious, barely, when they had put her in the tube. Seeing her now, he wondered if she was dreaming or if she was even there anymore.

When Elle had died, he had known the minute that she had left. He was holding her head, begging her to breath, to come back to him. Suddenly, the light, the spark had left her, just like that. She was just an empty shell. And he had not had the chance to say goodbye to her. It was happening all over again. Devon, being the crazy bitch that she was, had kept her illness from them. She had let herself die while she watched them recover.

"Dammit, Adair!" he shouted at the sleeping woman. "Everyone else always comes first with you, don't they? Don't you ever think of yourself? You always have to do things your way, don't you. No matter what the cost." Abruptly, he turned his back on her, covering his mouth, regretting the out burst, trying to contain his anger and fear.

"Well, you've really done it this time, lady," he said, in hushed tones, still turned away from her, staring at the floor.

He felt hot tears sting his eyes and began to circle the room, trying to calm down, but the pacing only seemed to increase his anxiety.

He stopped, standing across the room and stared at her again, through the frosted glass.

"This can't be the end," he told her. "You have to get to New Pacifica. This was your mission. You dragged us all here. You have to see it through," he ordered. A faint smile touched his lips. "Besides, it wouldn't be the same without you there to harass me."

Danziger's eyes suddenly hit on Uly's walking stick, which hung beside Devon's tube, and it was as if someone had just slammed him against the wall. His breath came quick and he felt the tears surface, again.

"Why me?" he asked her. "Uly needs you. Not me. You. We were pals before, but now he barely even talks to me. You should have asked Yale to look after your kid, he's doing a much better job than I am, anyway.

"We're moving on to New Pacifica, tomorrow. I know you'd tell me that's exactly what you'd want us to do. That's why we're doing it. I can still hear you barkin' orders at me as if you were right there in front of me, chin up, eyes daring me to argue with you. We're goin' so you can shut up, now. But I can't imagine arriving at New Pacifica without you. None of us can. That's probably why no one wants to budge. Maybe. I don't know. I can't get them to do anything. Not like you could. We need you, Devon," he told her. "I need you," he added, honestly.

He stood for what seemed like forever, just looking at her. If he could only touch her, just once more. Physical contact was very important to him. It made the person seem more real, and gave him the feeling that he was passing his feelings on to them just by touch. But Devon always seemed to shy away from his touch. Now she was locked in a glass box out of his reach, and he could do nothing to help her.

*Just once more,* he thought, just to hold her hand, touch her face. John stepped forward, forcing himself to cross the room. He brought his forehead to rest against the cold glass, laying one hand flat over its surface, near her face.

"Dammit, Devon," he whispered. "Hell if I know why, but I love you. And I won't let you go this easily." He leaned back, gazing up at her. This close he could see her face clearly and she did not look peaceful as he had expected. She looked troubled.

He was struck by the memory of the beach more than 6,000 kilometers behind them. He had walked on that beach, Devon beside him, enjoying the feel of the sand under her bare feet.

"We'll get you out of there, Devon. And we'll walk on the beach at New Pacifica, together."

Devon Adair dreamed; strange fragmented dreams.

She was on a beach, sunlight glared. Uly sprang up from the earth, an awkward, lanky youth, of maybe fourteen years. True, now a beautiful young lady, rose up beside him. They faced each other, clasped hands, turned and smiled at her, then disappeared. Julia and Alonzo coalesced before her. Julia held in her arms a tiny newborn. Alonzo hovered around her, a nervous first time father. Bess Martin suddenly appeared, her husband Morgan behind her, a toddler on her hip, smiling as always. Yale appeared behind Bess and gestured for Devon to join him. She approached, reaching out to him. With a jolt the scene changed.

A dizzying sensation accompanied her as she circled around taking in a simple room. Light flared, washing out the colors. She took stock of the sparse furnishings; a dining table, a couch, the usual equipment. A door lead off into another room. She pushed it open. There she found a man and a woman curled up on a double bed, arms and legs wrapped around each other. They looked almost like one being. Moving closer she saw a dark head and a mop of curly, blond hair.

"Danziger," she whispered, recognizing the profile. The woman shifted and Devon was confronted with her own face. She stumbled backwards and almost fell against the dresser when, abruptly, the scene changed again.


Sometime later, as Yale was succumbing to sleep, he heard the rustle of the tent flap. He opened his eyes to see John Danziger enter. John went straight to his daughter, tucked the covers up under her chin and dropped a kiss on her forehead. Yale shifted and cleared his throat to let the other man know he was awake. John jumped and spun around landing on his rump.

"I am sorry," Yale apologized.
"It's all right," John said, righting himself. "Was there a problem with the dunerail? You were gone a long time for it to be nothing," Yale queried. John was a private man but Yale thought he might need to talk. And he suspected that if John would open up to anyone, it would be to him; everyone else did.

"Uh, no, everything's fine," John answered, carefully. Yale nodded, thinking, maybe it was best to let it drop. "How's Uly?" Danziger asked, his gaze lingering on the small boy.

"I don't really know," Yale admitted. "Devon was everything to him."

Yale could feel the tears resurfacing. Devon was more than just his former employer. She was like a daughter to him. He had acted as her father for so long, even though her real father had only just died when they left the stations. He had always expected, like most parents, to be the first to die. *NO!* he barked at himself. She was not dead. Julia would find a cure for this disease and they would all be together again.

John looked like he had been through hell. His face was pale, there were dark circles under his eyes, and his hands seemed to be shaking. Sudden anger, rose up inside Yale at Devon and John. They had wasted so much time arguing and avoiding their true feeling and now there might not be anymore time left. He could at least understand Devon's reasoning. She had such difficulty trusting anyone. After Devon had started working to get the Eden Project going her friends had quickly deserted her, either out of fear for their own status or because they thought she was crazy. Every so called friend she had had since then had been bought. For Devon, the concept of friendship had come to be based on what she could do for or how well she paid the person. She never let herself get close to anyone. There were so many people she felt she could not trust that it was easier for her to keep her distance.

There had been a man in her life, once. He was an architect who worked for her father. Her father had arranged it, thinking they would be a good match, socially. They had lived together for two years before she had found out that he was cheating on her. She had been so angered by her own stupidity and his audacity that she had thrown him out. Then she found out she was pregnant. She would not tell the father, knowing he would not want the child and she did not want him involved. So, she kept the pregnancy to herself. And as the months went by she became more and more excited about the prospect of having a child. She badly wanted a child, and had so much love to give. It had always been her dream to have a happy marriage, like her parents had and children she could dote on. That was not to be, though she did have Uly and Yale; they were her family. They were all Devon had needed for so long.

Then they had left the stations and been stranded on this planet. Devon had been forced to rely on and trust the people around her to survive. John was the first person she truly trusted. With John, she had her chance at the life she had secretly dreamed of and she had turned her back on it, because it terrified her.

As for Danziger, he still carried around a certain amount of animosity towards the privileged class, of which Devon was a member. At first, he had seen her as someone who had been handed everything in her life, never had to work for anything. Yale had tried to help John to see Devon as she truly was; an intelligent, strong, independent, yet vulnerable and compassionate woman. Slowly, their differences were fading away, as they all came to be on equal footing on this planet. But still there were those ingrained hatreds and the fear that she looked down her nose at him. They still understood so little about each other. But it was obvious to Yale that they had come to care about and rely on each other. Because of this he felt that they could overcome any differences they had.

Of course, Danziger was also still suffering the pain of his loss of True's mother and the grief he had buried so deeply. He did not want to open himself up to the possibility of being hurt like that again. But, he had been hurt like that again. Though, he had never acknowledged his feelings for Devon that did not diminish them at all. In fact, it probably hurt him more because he had never had the chance to tell Devon he loved her.

"John, are you all right?" Yale asked, seeing John rubbing his eyes.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he said, obviously trying to cover. "I really should know better than to work on the vehicles at night. It's hard on the eyes." Yale was feeling more than a little frustrated, but he would let the matter drop. Obviously, John had dealt with things, privately, and he had to respect that.

"Thanks for looking after the kids for me," John said, as he sat down on his cot, next to True.

"No problem," Yale said. "Um, do you mind if I stay here with Uly, tonight?"

"Of course not," John answered. Danziger stretched out on his cot and True snuggled closer to her father's warmth.

He shut his eyes tightly on the tears that threatened. Exhaustion won over disquiet and he was soon sound asleep.

End part 3


While She Lay Dying (4/6)
by Paula Sanders
copyright 1995

Bathed in white light, Devon's eyes searched. She knew this place. It was the dreamscape Sheppard had used to visit her on the stations. The Terrians were giving her this one chance to say goodbye to her friends and she had to use it well. *But, how?* she wondered. She had never been in control of the dreamscape before. She was weak and afraid she would not be able to control it.

*Uly.* She had to go to him first, before she lost her hold on the dream plane. As her thoughts summoned him, her son was standing before her.

"Mom?" he said, shocked.
"Uly," she said, smiling. "I'm still alive. I love you, sweetheart."

"I love you, Mom. Please come back," he pleaded. She could feel his pain with her whole being. He looked so helpless and terrified.

"What's wrong with you, Mom?" he asked. Devon found that she did not know how to tell him. This planet had made him well and accepted him into it. It was a part of him. How could she tell him it was killing his mother?

"I don't know," she answered. Sometimes a simple lie was easier than the truth. "I can't stay here long. I just wanted to see you." She could feeling herself slipping and tensed, attempting to hang on.

"Uly, I need you to listen to me, okay." "Okay," he said, she smiled.
"Good. The Terrians let me come see you. I wanted to see how you were doing," she said.

"I'm fine. Mr. Danziger and Yale are taking good care of me," he told her. "But I wish you were here."

"Me too, sweetheart," she admitted. "Uly, I have to go. Just remember that I love you. Take care of yourself and Yale for me. And tell Yale I love him and I'm sorry." Uly was fading before her eyes.

"Mom, don't give up. You'll get better soon. I promise," he called, as he faded away and then was gone.


Julia slept, Alonzo curved against her back. He had not had to use a sedaderm, in the end exhaustion won out. Once he had curled up with her on the bed, she had fallen into the blackness of sleep. She welcomed it as a respite from her heartache and feelings of helplessness. She was startled to find herself surrounded by stark white light, the voice of Devon Adair in her head.

"Julia, I haven't got much time. I just wanted to tell you thank you, for everything you did for Uly, for everything you did for all of us." Julia could see the faint, ghostly image of Devon, before her.

"But, I couldn't save you, Devon," Julia said. "I could beat a plague, a cyborg killing machine, the Council, and the cold, but I couldn't save one woman."

"Julia, you did everything you could." "No, I didn't, Devon and I can't." "Elizabeth was right about this planet," Devon said. "The planet rejected them," Julia confirmed. "That was what killed them."

"Like a human body would reject a virus." "Right," Julia said, miserably. There were thousands of people on the colony ship, not to mention millions of people back on the stations, counting on making this planet their new home.

"Julia, I don't want you to worry about me. I did what I set out to do. Uly is healed. That was all I ever wanted. You have to warn the colony ship." The words trailed off as blackness closed in on Julia.

"No, wait," Julia screamed, to no avail.

Alonzo woke to something nagging at his senses. As he woke he became aware of Julia trembling against him. He heard her quiet, stifled sobs and gently shook her shoulder.

"Julia," he said. "What's wrong?"
She did not answer, but turned and pressed her forehead to his chest, crying, clinging to him. He held her and tried to quiet her, as she slipped back into the oblivion of sleep.


John Danziger tossed fitfully in his sleep, causing True to seek the other cot. Something was wrong. This dream was not right. Everywhere he looked was glaring white light.

"John." He heard Devon Adair's voice in his head. "John. Please answer me."

"No, this isn't right," he barked. "You're in a cryosleep tube. I don't want you in my dreams."

"John, shut up and listen. I haven't got much time." "Devon, god Devon. Where are you?" he asked, his eyes searching.

"I'm right here." She appeared by his side, at his shoulder, a faint reflection of herself. "I want to thank you."

"For what?" he asked.
"For everything. You did so much for me. I don't know what I would have done without you." Her voice filled his soul.

"You would have found some other poor, unsuspecting dunce to push around," he told her, protecting that place deep inside himself he was afraid for her to reach.

"John," she chided. "I just wanted to let you know how much you mean to me. Take care of Uly." Devon paused, and John panicked, thinking maybe she was gone, but she materialized in front of him. She smiled, sweetly and said, "Tell True I wish I could have seen her grow into the exceptional woman I know she'll become." He could only see her faintly but she was so beautiful, he wanted to touch her, but she remained just out of his reach.

"Devon," he began, but stopped, uncertain. "What, John?" she prompted.
"You are an incredible woman." She was quickly fading away. "I love you," he said, on impulse.

"I love you, John." drifted back to him. "Devon, don't go," he called after her.


Soon after sleep reclaimed Alonzo Solace, he found himself captured by the dream plane. He often hated nights like this because he always woke up feeling like hell. Colors and images rushed around him. He saw Devon resting in a Terrain bed, reminiscent of the cryotube. Slowly, it forced her out and she fell. He lunged forward trying to catch her but she fell too fast. She rolled over and he bent down to help her. She was cold as ice and her skin was the bluish-gray color of death. Not a breath stirred in her.

Terrians swam up from the earth, circling around him, he heard their voices ringing in his ears. Alonzo hugged Devon's body to him, protectively. He could feel the anger and hatred coming from the Terrians, directed at the woman. Their speech was low and guttural.

"What are you doing to her? Why do you do this to her?" he asked them.

They simply showed him. Alonzo found himself in a corridor. He was surrounded by metal and there were cryosleep bunks on all the walls, filled with people. It was a ship. He could not say why, but it made him feel sick. The air was stale and he felt claustrophobic. He wanted out. Forcefully, he calmed himself. Hearing noises in the distance, like people talking, mumbling, he followed the sounds. He rounded a corner, and was halted by the sight of a large group of children, primitively dressed. They trilled at him and a few surrounded him like the Terrians had.

Alonzo was suddenly ripped away and planted in the middle of a different scene. Trees reached for the brilliant sun, the air smelled sweet, and the cool grass was a soft cushion underneath his back. He smiled and gazed up at the clear blue sky. He became aware of a rumbling somewhere in the distance and jumped to his feet; searching for the source of the noise. A black cloud rolled in from the North. It blackened everything in its path, killing everything.

Devon Adair coalesced in the middle of it all; dressed in the clothes she had worn when they had taken off from the stations.

Alonzo understood.

With a jolt, Alonzo woke. His heart was pounding and he fought to slow it. Julia hovered over him.

"Alonzo are you all right?" she asked. "It's the Terrians. I know what they want." He shot out of bed and scrambled out of the tent before Julia could even process what he had said.

End of part 4


While She Lay Dying (5/6)
by Paula Sanders
copyright 1995

John Danziger woke with a start, the memory of the dream fading, rapidly. He reached up to brush the hair out of his eyes and felt wet tears on his face. He brushed them away, gazing around the room. Something was out of place, missing. He stared at Yale trying to process things. Then, it hit him like a shot. Uly was gone.

Danziger jumped to his feet, waking True. He would be lucky if these kids did not give him a heart attack before they reached New Pacifica.

"Daddy, what's wrong?" she asked, groggy. "True, did you hear Uly leave? Do you know where he went?" he asked.

"No." She shook her head, looking up at him frightened. Danziger bolted across the tent and shook Yale awake. "What?" he asked, confused.
"Uly's gone. I don't know where he went." Looking down on the boys cot he spotted the wristlock, lying, open on the crumpled blanket.

Yale shot up out of bed and pulled on his boots, as Danziger ran out into the camp.

"Camp alert," he hollered, at the top of his lungs. Everyone came scrambling out of their tents.

"What is it? What's wrong?" Were asked by several people. "Uly's missing. Baines did you see anything?" The young man shook his head, looking very ashamed and concerned. John patted him on the back, reassuring. "All right, Magus, you go check the starship. Walman, Cameron, Yale, and I will make a perimeter search of the area." They all split up.

"John," Cameron called, from across the camp. "The ATV is gone."

*Damn, you just had to teach the kid to drive that thing, didn't you, Danziger,* he scolded.

"Can we follow the tracks?" John asked. Just as Cameron was about to answer, Alonzo came barrelling towards them; Julia followed, medkit in her hand.

"I think I have the answers we've been searching for," Alonzo announced to the group.

"Well, at least somethings goin' right," John snapped. At Alonzo's questioning gaze he said, "Uly's missing."

"I know where he is," True stated, drawing all eyes to her. She looked scared and very guilty.

"Where?" John asked his daughter, favoring her with that 'what have you done this time' look she knew so well.

"He's with the Terrians."
"John!" Everyone turned at the cry, to see Magus running towards them. "It's Devon. She's gone."

"Gone?! What do you mean, gone?" Danziger asked. "She's not there," she told him. "The cryotube is empty and there is a huge hole in the floor."

John did not even need to say anything to Alonzo, the look in his eyes said enough.

"Yale, Walman, Julia. Come with us." Danziger grabbed up a Magpro, on the run as they all jumped into the dunerail and headed to the caves of these valley Terrians.


Graves. There were graves everywhere. Graves with headstones, some without. Morbid curiosity made Devon Adair approached one. The headstone read: Julia Heller. The one behind it read: Morgan and Bess Martin. Devon stumbled through the grave yard. She found Walman, Magus, Danziger, Yale, Baines, Alonzo, Denner, Cameron, Mazati. Finally, at the end, she found an open grave. Forcing herself, she peered over the edge. It was a mass grave; bodies thrown in on top of bodies. Her stomach heaved and she fell to her knees, blinded by tears. A hand touched her shoulder and she looked up into the face of a small boy; the ragamuffin from Sheppard's group. Beside him stood True and Uly. And stretching back as far as she could see were children.

"Why did you bring us here?" they chorused. Before she could answer, Adair was ripped away from the scene.


The eerie orange glow from the sunstones lit the way for the group of five as they made their way through the tunnels. Walman and Danziger had their Magpro's ready. Yale walked a pace behind Julia. Her eyes darted about looking for any sign of the boy or the Terrians. Alonzo walked just ahead of her, leading the way. As they walked Alonzo and Julia combined their knowledge to help the others understand what was happening to Devon.

"The Terrians are killing Devon," Alonzo said. "Elizabeth was right when she said the planet would reject us," Julia said, cutting Alonzo off."She and Bennett were killed by this planet. They weren't suffering from the Cold-sleep Syndrome like I thought. They were suffering the same way Devon is. Elizabeth's logs say that the Terrians were angered by the Council's plans to settle this planet and they fought back."

"So, what you're saying is the same thing is happening to Devon and will happen to all of us?" Danziger asked, trying to understand.

"No, I don't think so," Julia answered and tried to clarify. "Bennett and crew were the first humans in this system. The Terrians were afraid for their planet and tried to kill them. But I don't think the Terrians want to kill us all. They have let the penal colonist live here for thirty years or more. For some reason the planet has singled Devon out."

"I think I have the answer to that piece of the riddle," Alonzo offered. "I was wrong when I thought the promise Devon and I made was paid off after we freed those Terrians from Gaal. That just had to do with Uly's bond. They were suffering, so he suffered. They are collecting on that debt now. They blame her for what is happening. She is bring thousands, maybe millions of people here. They are just protecting their planet. She is the only one who will die."

"How can we stop them?" Yale asks. "I don't know," Alonzo admitted.
"Great, thanks. That's so helpful," Danziger muttered. Alonzo's retort was stopped in his throat when he heard, close by, the Terrians. Slowly, and as quietly as they could, the group crept up on them.

In a small chamber they found Devon laid out in the center of the ring the creatures made. Uly knelt by her side, protectively. Alonzo could judge by the tone of the speech that it was a heated discussion. He focused on it, trying to understand.

It had taken Alonzo months to truly come to terms with his new life here on this planet, the Terrians, and the dreams, but now he actually thought he would miss them if they were gone. The bond he shared with the Terrians was one that Alonzo thought he would never lose. Unless they were to break it. These Terrians here in the valley were very closed off to Alonzo. He had used all his strength to hang on to the dream plane and get them to talk to him, but they would not listen. But they could not ignore that Uly. He held great power because of his connection to the planet.

"What's goin' on?" Danziger asked, halted as he came around the corner.

"Uly's asking them for his mother's life." Uly looked so authoritative, so different from the small boy he was, as he stood and confronted the Terrians.

"Can they do it?" Julia asked.
"They can't. They won't," Alonzo translated. "Why?" Danziger asked, frustrated. "They can't go against the planet. They have created a bond with Uly. He is part of the planet, but Devon is not. None of us are. We don't belong here. The planet will kill us if we try to live here and there's nothing we can do to stop it."

Uly did not budge. He trilled again, but it had a different tone; commanding, strong. The group turned to Alonzo for a translation, but he just stared, stunned, at the little boy.

"What did he say, Alonzo?" Julia prompted, concerned. Solace's gazed remained transfixed on Uly. "Alonzo?" Julia nudged him.

"He told them that if they let his mother die his connection to human's, to us, is broken. They will lose the link they have been searching for." Alonzo was completely stunned. Uly was so young; where had he gotten the words? What had put this into his head?

Alonzo could not remain in the shadows any longer. He had to do something to help Uly. So, he stepped forward, out of the shadow, making his presence known. Julia and Yale followed. Slowly, the Terrians turned to the small group of humans. Alonzo held his ground, ignoring the instinct to turn and run. Sometimes, even after all this time, they frightened and intimidated him. But he knew from what the Elder had told him that the Terrians were a little in awe of Alonzo because of his strength on the dream plane. He hoped to use that now.

Uly turned to Alonzo, giving him that sideways Terrain look, and trilled.

"I know Uly. We're here to help. We all want your mother back as much as you do," Alonzo assured the boy.

Uly moved away from the group of Terrians, to stand at Alonzo's side. Dropping his head, Alonzo entered the dream plane with Ulysses. Momentary deja vu captured the pilot. Only months before, he had joined Devon in the dream plane to barter for her son's life. What would be the price now? Nothing ever came for free.

Terrians circled around the man and boy. Images swirled around, dizzying. Devon stood by silently, staring at her son, astonished. The Terrians were not letting her speak, only observe.

"She came here to save me and now you're killing her. Haven't we done enough? Haven't we given you enough?" Uly shouted. "What more could you possibly ask of us?" he asked, desperately.

Alonzo heard the response in his head; the images pulling together into choppy speech in his mind. "Humans invade. Killing mother. Killing us. Must purge." They showed him how the presence of the humans on this planet was scarring its surface and infecting its core like a black plague. The planet was fighting back like an immune system attacking foreign bacteria. Alonzo felt sick. If his F-class cruiser were here he would have put everyone on board and flown away but he was stuck here. And the humans needed this planet. They were also dying. If they did not find a second earth, to make their home, under blue skies, with fresh air, they would perish. There had to be someway that the two species could live together. This planet was their best hope for survival.

"If this is what it means to be Terrian then, I am not Terrain. I would rather be sick again," Uly told them, firmly and turning his back on the Terrians. Alonzo was struck again by how grown up Uly seemed. He was not the scared little boy he had been as they sat around the camp fire, mere hours before.

"Tell us what to do." Her silence finally broken, Devon addressed the Terrians. "If there is anything we can do to remedy this, please tell us." She staggered a bit as she stepped forward towards her son. "We don't want you or your planet to suffer, but the Syndrome children are dying just like Uly was, and they need this planet. We can't let them die. Could you let them suffer because of what the Council has done?"

The Terrians stood as still as statues, staring at them curiously. Then one stepped forward and answered her question. Uly spun around to face them again. Devon turned to Alonzo for a translation.

"The Terrians know what we did to our planet and they fear we will do the same to theirs. Their only hope is the bond they have forged with Uly. They recognize the evolutionary step that has started with the children and they know they have to see it through. This is why they have allowed the change to take place. The planet readily accepts the children. It can make them a part of this planet, but not us. They never wanted us to die. But the planet won't accept us. We are not as open and accepting as the children will be. They know the children will never let anything harm this planet, but they can not been so sure that we will not harm. Right now, there are not enough humans on this planet to do enough irreversible damage. If we bring millions of people here they and the planet will die. They will not let us kill their mother," Alonzo said, aware of the slip, he quickly corrected it, "their planet. They still don't understand our way of doing things. Terrians think with one mind, not many. You, Devon are the one mind responsible for the Eden Project and colonization of this planet."

Alonzo saw the desperation and fear in Devon's eyes and felt incredibly helpless. The Terrians were right; humans were harming their planet and they had every right to protect it. But killing one woman was not the answer. They had to see that.

Uly stepped up to the Terrain and spoke. Before Alonzo could translate they were all pulled out of the dream plane.

A strange sensation nagged at Devon Adair's senses. She fought against it. She was comfortable in this blackness, where there were no dreams. She belonged here. Death was finally claiming her. Why was she being denied it? Why did the living world tug at her so? She had prepared herself, said her good-byes and the Terrians had refused her plea. It did not matter how much she wanted to live, this was her fate. Then she heard it.

"This way," the voice called to her. "Follow me." She could not deny the voice; something about it drew her to it.

*Death,* she thought and instinctively, cowered from it. "Don't be afraid," it said. "You'll be fine, Mom." *Uly.* She grasped at the presence that she now recognized as her son. It drew her up, as the absolute darkness lightened into grey.

Devon did not need to be immersed in the earth to heal her. She would not become one with them. They were simply reversing what they had done. Uly knelt at her side, again. He reached down and took a handful of dirt, gathering it between his hands. He held it there for a second, then his hand drifted over her forehead, as the dirt sprinkle down on her head. With his other hand he worked it into her hair. Devon remained motionless. The Terrians stood around; the low harmony of their voices filling the air.

Then, solemnly, the Terrians sank back into the earth.

Eyelids fluttered open to reveal clouded blue eyes. Objects swirled in and out of focus in front of Devon. She gazed around in confusion trying to make the world stop moving. The first thing her eyes did settle on was her son and the smile which lit her face was one of pure joy.

"Uly," she whispered, hoarsely. She reached out to him and he fell into her arms. Her muscles contracted at the movement, causing her to painfully realize that her entire body ached, but she welcomed it as a reminder that she was very much alive.

"Mom, you're back. It worked. I healed you." Devon kissed her son's cheek and held him tightly in her arms. She was alive. Devon was acutely aware of every sensation, every breath she took, every touch, every smell. Her son's heart beat furiously against hers. Every muscle tingled. She took a deep breath; even the stale, musty air of these caves smelled sweet. The ground was solid under her back and it was there to stay. She and it were not going anywhere.

Her eyes landed on Julia, crouched at her side. She sought out the doctor's hand. Julia captured it and Devon gave her fingers a weak squeeze. The gentle pressure of Yale's hand on her forehead, caught her attention and she smiled up at him. Letting go of Uly she tried to sit up.

"Oh, ow," Devon complained, muscles protesting as she moved. Both Julia's and Yale's hands were at her back, helping her to sit up.

"Your muscles will relax in a few hours," Julia assured her. "Otherwise, how do you feel?" Julia offered her a drink of water, and her diaglove pressed against Devon's neck. Yale's arm was curved around her back propping her up.

"Weak," Devon answered, after a sip from the cup. Devon turned to Yale to receive a full hug and he joyfully embraced her.

"I'm sorry, Yale," she whispered.
"No apologies necessary," he assured her, then he leaned back and looked her directly in the eye. She knew that stern look, had seen it a million times. He firmly added, "Just don't every do that again." She nodded and hugged him again.

"Devon, I think there are others here who are waiting their turn," Yale told her.

She smiling self-consciously, and backed out of his embrace. Her eyes searched the chamber for Danziger but her gaze only found Walman. He had the silliest grin on his face. She reached out a hand and he enveloped her's in his larger one, pulling her into an embrace. At first she fought against it, but finally relaxed.

"It's good to have you back," he said, then released her. Devon noticed Alonzo kneeing at Julia's side, his arm around her shoulder. The doctor was blinking back tears.

"Thank you." Devon smiled and he hugged her. "Where's Danziger?" she asked, as Alonzo released her, hushed, unable to speak any louder.

"He was right here a minute ago," Walman said. His head whipped around as he scanned the chamber, as did the others. Yale was the first to get to his feet.

"I'll go find him," he offered and set off.

John Danziger stood with his back against the cool rocks for support. Devon was alive. They had been given a second chance.

*So, why did you run away, you big idiot?* he scolded. When he had seen Devon's amazing blue eyes drift open and the smile spread across her face at the sight of her son, it had all been too much for him. *God, she's beautiful.* Every emotion from relief and sheer joy right down to panic rampaged through him. Panic had overtaken the others and he fled.

*Coward!* He felt like screaming, but it bottled up in his throat. *You can fight with her for six months and you can tell her how you feel, but only while she's sleeping and can't hear you. Not to her face. Never to her face.* He kicked the rock with his heel.

"John," Yale said, announcing himself. Danziger practically jumped out of his skin. "Devon's asking for you."

For a moment John stared stupidly, then quickly, forced the mask of indifference back over his face.

"She is?" he said, trying to sound casual. "Yes, she is," Yale replied, impatiently. Danziger could not make his feet move. "John, you know I am usually an even tempered man. So, I hope you will take me seriously, when I say. If you don't get in there right now, I will drag you to her side myself. And I can do it, too." Yale added a smile to the end.

John pushed himself off the wall, unable to contain the smile which played on his lips.

"Yeah, I'm sure you could." John walked around Yale, back into the chamber. Yale shook his head, smiling and followed him.

The glowing smile which graced Devon's face, at seeing John, rivaled the one she had for Uly. He could not help but return it. He knelt down beside her and she sank into his embrace, feeling warm and secure. He kissed the top of her head.

"I thought I'd lost you," he whispered, his breath stirring her hair. He heard and felt her chuckle.

"You can't get rid of me that easily," she returned. He held her close, laughing, because it was the only thing he could do.

"We should get her back to camp," Julia said after a bit touching John's arm. He nodded and she helped him lift Devon off the ground. He carried her securely in his arms out of the cave relinquishing her finally to Yale for the ride back to camp.

End part 5


While She Lay Dying (6/6)
by Paula Sanders
copyright 1995

True Danziger sat at the edge of camp, facing the direction her father and the others had taken when they went after Uly. She had taken it upon herself to be the look out. With a stick, she etched random lines in the dirt. Boredom and worry had setting in. The sun had come up hours ago and they had been gone all night.

She heard the approaching dunerail and ATV before she saw them.

"They're back," she hollered, jumping to her feet. Everyone in camp dropped what they were doing and came running to meet it. Danziger slowed the rail as they entered camp and the group swarmed around it. Everyone was surprised to see Devon alive and their voices combined into a confusing mass of noise.

"Okay, come on, folks," Danziger said, as he got out of the rail. "Let the lady breath." The group backed off a little, at least enough for Danziger and Julia to get Devon out of the dunerail. John carried her to the med tent where Julia could do a more thorough examination of her, after shooing everyone away. Once Danziger and Yale stepped out of the med tent the group pounced on them for answers.


Devon Adair rested on a cot in her tent. Now she could understand, at least a little how Uly had felt when she made him rest after he was healed. She was feeling much better, after a little sleep and some food. And she was beginning to get antsy. She was not as good of a patient as her son. Her gaze drifted from the roof of the tent to where Uly napped on his cot. She was so scared for Uly, scared of losing him. The Terrians now had a claim on him, a bond that could not be broken. She had to accept that, even if it meant giving him up. All that really mattered was that he was healthy. He would have a full life as a result of her coming here. That was worth any price.

She had so many questions, and no one to answer them. She knew that if she got up and went after answers, Danziger would probably scoop her up and bring her back here. A smile touched her lips as he drifted through her mind. It had felt so good to feel his arms around her. It had felt so right. She remembered, months back, when she had first been confronted with John Danziger. He had shocked her by grabbing her arm, forcing her attention to him. He had called her crazy for wanting to traverse the continent and haul them, unwillingly, with her. From somewhere deep inside she had known that Danziger was someone who could get under her skin easily. The thought frightened her, and she put a wall up between them. Now, looking back, she did not know why she tried to fight it. *What was wrong with letting John get under my skin?* she asked herself.

"It won't be so bad getting there." The phrase played in her mind. John was right. She knew, somehow, as long as she and John were holding the crew together, they would make it to New Pacifica.

The tent flap rustling startled Devon and she set up a little, to see who it was. Danziger stooped to enter, then straightened. He smiled slightly as he made his way to her bedside.

"How're you feeling?" he asked, quietly, careful not to disturb Uly.

"Better," she answered, smiling.
"Good." He pulled a crate over and sat down beside her. Laying a hand on her forehead, he smoothed back her hair. She sighed and closed her eyes. It had been so long since anyone had taken care of her. It was nice. But she was no good at being sick and could not silence her questions.

"John what happened?" she asked. "Julia told me a little, but only after I badgered her into it."

"I'm not sure," he told her. "Alonzo says the Terrians were collecting on a debt owed."

"What debt?" she asked. "No, wait. We fulfilled that promise, already. When we freed those Terrians from Gaal." He shook his head.

"Apparently, that was not it. 'Lonz says that had nothing to do with your promise." John told her.

"John, why did the planet try to kill me?" Devon asked. For a moment, John could not answer, taken aback by the helpless tone of her voice. She so rarely let her vulnerability show, it never failed to surprise him.

"The Terrians know that you headed the Eden Project and brought us here and are bringing more people. They're holding you responsible. I think it was some sort of justice to them."

Her gaze fell upon Uly again.
"What did he do?" she asked. John shifted his gaze to the boy.

"I don't know." He shrugged and smiled self-consciously. "I think you better ask him when he wakes up."

"Yeah, I guess I better," she said, turning her attention back to John.

"You know, you gave us all quite a scare," he scolded. "We thought we'd lost you for good."

"And what about you?" she asked, knowing full well it was a leading question. She recognized the look in his eyes; the vulnerability, the uncertainty, and the longing. It frightened her a bit. She reached out and he clasped her hand.

"I was terrified," he confessed, grinning nervously. She pulled his hand down and held it to her chest, kissing his fingers. He covered her hand with his other one, leaning over her.

"Me, too," she admit.
Feeling suddenly brave, she sat up a little more, and touched his cheek, her fingers toying with a few of his curls. His hand slipped behind her, supporting her, and instinctively, he brought his lips down to meet hers.

Devon's threw aside reason at the touch of his lips and twined her fingers into the curls at the nape of his neck, pulling him deeper into the kiss. She felt him tense in surprise, but that shock quickly vanished and his lips softened against hers. One hand at the small of her back lifted her, eliminating the distance between them.

She had wanted this for so long and had not even realized it, until now. All those months spent arguing, because it was the only safe way to express their feelings for one another. Wasted, foolish months. But, she knew that was not true; they were not wasted. Those months had brought them closer, let them learn to trust and care for each other.

When Devon finally let John go, he lowered her back to the pillow, smiling down at her.

"I was going to apologize," he said, a bit breathless. "But I guess I don't need to." His thumb brushed over her lips and cheek, his fingers buried in her hair.

Embarrassed, she felt a blush creep up her cheeks. A delicious tingle ran through her entire body.

"John," she began, nervously. "Oh god," she muttered. "I'll just come out and say it. I think I love you."

"You think you love me," he said, feigning indignation. Then he smiled and said, "Well, at least I know I love you, lady." She laughed, quietly and sat up to kiss him again.


The sun was high and the promise of a beautiful day the dawn had given had been fulfilled. Alonzo walked out of his tent, feeling rested; having been given five hours of dreamless sleep. Julia followed him and he casually draped an arm over her shoulder. She smiled up at him, her arm resting lazily at his waist. It was a good day. But a black cloud hung in the distance, waiting for them.

Another promise had been made. This time he was not sure if they could follow through on it. Alonzo had not told anyone what Uly had promise. He had let it roll over in his mind until exhaustion claimed him. And he had come up with no answers.

"I need to go see how Devon's doing," Julia said, reluctantly pulling away from Alonzo. He nodded.

"I'll come with you. I need to talk to her, anyway. And now's as good a time as any." So, he walked with her to the Adair tent.

Neither of them was surprised to see Danziger at Devon's side, holding her hand. What they were surprised to see was both of them looking like the cat that ate the canary. Devon was flushed, a broad grin played on her lips and sparkled in her eyes. And Danziger would not meet Alonzo's gaze, as he smiled and nervously, worried Devon's hand. He and Julia had, undoubtedly, interrupted something.

"Sorry, uh, we could come back later," Alonzo felt compelled to say, making Devon's blush deepen.

"No, it's fine," she assured them. "I came to check on my patient," Julia told Devon as she pulled out her diaglove and strapped it on. "You look like you're doing quite well," she teased.

"I feel great," Devon confirmed, unfazed by the innuendo. "I hate to bring down the party but we need to talk, Devon," Alonzo said.

"About what Uly said to the Terrians?" Devon asked, sobering.

"I guess you know that the Terrians healing you doesn't come without a price," he stated. She nodded. "Uly promised the Terrians that if they would release you, we would see to it that no one else is brought here. They will accept us and the people from the colony ship, but that is it."

Devon sighed, audibly. "How do they expect us to do that? We have no control over the Council."

"Yes, but the Syndrome children will." Everyone turned to Julia, gaping at her. "We know that the Terrians have a symbiotic relationship with the planet, right. If you remove the Terrians the planet dies. So, the Council can't remove the Terrians to gain control of the planet. When I was communicating with Reilly through VR he told me the Council can't control the planet without controlling the Terrians. They need a way to control the Terrians. That is why they wanted Uly." Julia took a nervous, deep breath. She was more than a little frightened to tell Devon what she was about to tell her. She had kept to herself the fact that she had nearly harvested Uly on Reilly's order. At the time Devon's trust had been shaky and Julia was afraid she would never be able to gain the woman's trust if she told her. Now that she had Devon's trust she hoped the other woman would understand.

"Reilly felt that if they could harness how the change occurred, the Council would have a way to control the planet. He believes that the change occurred at the pineal gland." Julia steeled herself for what she was about to say. "Devon, you're not going to like this and I don't blame you if you want to string me up for it." Devon's eyes were wide with fear.

"He wanted me to remove Uly's pineal gland." "Oh, my god," Devon gasped.
"I didn't do it, Devon. I couldn't. It was insane. Please believe me," she pleaded. Julia was relieved to see that Devon did not lash out at her immediately, but took a few seconds to collect herself.

"Of course I believe you, Julia," Devon assured her. Julia visibly relaxed.

"I told Reilly that Uly no longer had a pineal glade. So, there is no way they can harness and control the change. Without the knowledge of how the change occurs the Council cannot control the children. The planet does," she explained.

"That's brilliant," Alonzo remarked. "Then the children will have the power here," Devon confirmed.

"And the Council can do nothing to change that," John said. "We have to let the Terrians know," Devon stated firmly, definitely back to her old self.

She pushed aside the blanket covering her and stood. The room began to spin and she felt Julia's strong grip on her shoulders, easing her down onto the bunk.

"You are not going anywhere," the doctor told her patient. Devon nodded, her hands clutched the edge of the cot, seeking one thing in the tent that did not move. Danziger laid a hand on her knee. She took slow deep breaths trying to stop her head from reeling. It worked and the room settled to its normal appearance.

"I can't just sit here," she said. She felt Alonzo's hand land on her shoulder.

"You don't have to go anywhere," he told her. "Of course," she said, brightening. "The dream plane." She looked at Julia, pleading. That combined with Alonzo's imploring gaze did her in.

"Okay," she conceded. "I'll give you a mild sedative. A very mild one. You can't take anything stronger, right now." Devon nodded, smiling.

Julia shook her head and turned away to get the sedaderm. Devon stretched out and Julia pressed the sedaderm to her neck. The drug took hold instantly.

The dizzying effect of the dream plane was worse this time than it had ever been. Devon willed it to settle down but it was a futile effort, she would just have to wait for it to settle itself. Alonzo walked up beside her, hands clasped in front of him.

"I'm here," he said, reassuringly. Four Terrians appeared from around the corner. They came to stand in front of the two humans, staffs held out in front of them defensively. They voiced a protest.

"Please listen to us," Devon implored. "We think we have a way to help you." The Terrians relaxed their staffs. She sighed. "Thank you. In under two years the colony ship will arrive with the children, to be healed. Once they have been accepted into the planet they will be very powerful. The Council, which you fear, will have no power on this planet. And without that power they cannot colonize it. The children would never let any harm come to this planet. Your mother will be safe."

The Terrians stared impassively back at her. Devon looked to Alonzo. A slow smile tugged at the pilot's lips.

"They accept this as true," he told her. Devon felt the weight lift from her shoulders.

"Believe me when I tell you that we will do everything we can to protect you."

"It's enough," Alonzo told her. He nodded and she followed him out of the dream plane.

Devon Adair
**We came here, months ago, thinking this place our Eden. But we found that to be false. As we've wandered this planet we discover ourselves unwelcome visitors in someone else's home. We know now that we must respect that we are only guests here on this planet.

New Pacifica is still our destination. Up until today I thought I would never see it. But we will travel again, as a group, as a family. But not as a whole. We will travel with one less person in our midst. We leave behind Eben Sygn and a little piece of each one of us with her**

-The End-


feedback and comments to:
paula.sanders@shawnee.org

This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.