FACTORS
By
Robin Carter


Timeline: After "Water" (Week 4)
Author's E-Mail: rbncrtr@ix.netcom.com


AUTHOR'S NOTES:

They say there's a first time for every thing...this is mine. Please...be gentle.

It felt like this took place sometime after the "Water" episode. But I could be wrong.

All I know is that Devon and Danziger WILL get together. WHEN is up to them. But it won't be quick and it won't be quiet.

Devon and Danziger belong to Universal/Amblin...I think. This story and what the characters are doing are mine, because the idiots that cancelled Earth2 were too stupid to do anything with them, and don't deserve them, anymore.
(ps...It's short story.)


Factors

Devon looked up from her charts and maps and stretched. Her determination to get to New Pacifica allowed no room for conjecture. This HAD to be the way to go. But even though her mind was made up, she would feel better about it if someone else agreed with her.

She saw Danziger over by the vehicles. *Perfect*, she thought. *I already know what Mr. Agreeable would have to say. But I'd better get it over with now, and get it out of the way.* Strange flashes of confusing emotions shot through her, but she refused to give any thought to them. She couldn't begin to determine where they came from, let alone what they were. *Not now, Adair,* mentally shaking herself. Clearing her voice, "Danziger, could I see you a second."

"What is it now, Adair?" Danziger rumbled. But he went over to her table anyway.

"Tomorrow, those hills up there...I still think we need to try to go through the small pass Yale believes should be there. Do you still think we should skirt the foothills and travel east of them?"

"Well," Danziger started, "since you asked, I 'still' think we should stay to the east and avoid any terrain that might seriously damage the transrover and other equipment. It looks safer. On this mornings scout Alonzo made sure that water and vegetation was obtainable. Julia checked out said vegetation and determined it is edible. I think Bess and True called it "Yummy". And according to Yale, there are several possible routes to the east to consider, some of them could be quicker than others to New Pacifica."

Devon stood still a moment. She had already calculated this into her decision. But there was that time factor that outweighed most everything else, very nearly to obsession. "But still, the pass through the hills could cut off several weeks travel time," trying to get him to understand her urgency.

"Yea, it could...IF the vehicles don't break down from the abuse," Danziger raised his voice a bit..."and IF there is adequate water and vegetation..."raised it a bit more, "and IF there is a usable pass AT ALL! Do you want to gamble your life on a few weeks, Adair?"

At his last word, Devon spun. "Thank you, Mr. Danziger, but I believe we WILL go through the hills after all."

"That's IT!" Danziger bellowed.

"What?" startled Devon.

"That's it. I've had it. I'm soooo tired of this, Adair...I can't stand it, anymore.

"Stand what?" Devon asked.

"This...this..right now..I... You ask me what I think. I tell you. Then you go off your own merry way," waving his hand for emphasis, "and do whatever the hell you want to without stopping for one minute to think about what I...or anyone else for that matter, just said."

"Oh, I factored all of that in already and thought..."

"Yeah, you thought. And then You will do it your way, any way."

Devon looked confused, "I just think...."

"No. No, you don't. You don't think, you just DO. Well, that's just fine with me." And with that Danziger threw the tool belt down, & wiped his hands off on a rag. "Tha't just fine with me, because I give up," and started walking.

Devon looked at Danziger's retreating back. "What do you think you're doing, Danziger? Where do you think you're going?" and followed him. She didn't understand THIS attitude, and wanted to get to the bottom of it.

Danziger didn't bother to turn around. He just kept on walking... stomping, actually...up the incline and out of camp. "I give up," he hollered over his shoulder. "I quit. Finito...No More. Had it. Nope, not gonna put up with it anymore. I am done with it all" and coming upon a nice, flat, LARGE rock, he sat down, laid back, put his arms behind his head and shut his eyes.

"Danziger. DANZIGER!" Devon demanded. She used The Tone that made station CEO's literally hop and ask how high on the way up when she said jump.

Danziger didn't jump. He didn't even twitch.

"Danziger," Devon softened, trying another approach. "This is getting ridiculous. Now get up and let's get going."

"No."

"What did you say...to me?"

"I said...'N'..'O'... That spells NO, where I come from."

"WHAT?"

"Listen, Lady, just what part of NO don't you understand?"

"Oh, I understand it perfectly," Devon huffed.

"Yeah, when YOU say it," Danziger sneered.

"Exactly what is that supposed to mean?"

Danziger raised up on one elbow. "It means, simply put, that up till now only YOU have been allowed to say no. No one else. Just 'you'. It doesn't matter how illogical, or how dangerous, or how unreasonable the situation might be...only YOU can say 'no'. Till now, because I am saying it... to you...right now.... NO!"

"This is stupid," Devon turned on her heel and started walking away.

"Stupid!" Danziger roared. "Stupid? I'm Stupid? What, stupid for wanting to get my family to New Pacifica ALIVE? Or stupid for trying to do my job and take care of those vehicles YOU put in my trust?"

Devon spun and stormed back to the boulder. "This whole discussion is stupid, mister."

Danziger stood and got right down in her face. "Or just stupid for saying No...to an Adair?"

SSSSSLLLLLAAAAAPPPPPPPP

She slapped him. Devon Adair slapped him.

Danziger's eyes started to narrow.

She didn't know why she did that. She couldn't figure out where that came from. Maybe Danziger touched on some factor hidden deep in her psyche that she didn't want to deal with, at least not right now. But that didn't stop her...It couldn't stop her. Right now those syndrome kids were the priority...not her battle with her inner demons. Devon never broke eye contact. She glared back, raised her chin and defied him to do anything about it.

*I was never one to disappoint a lady* he thought. And with that thought he grabbed her by the waise, and sat down with her across one leg. He threw his other leg over her flailing legs, pinning them down. This exposed to all the world her beautiful (*where the hell did that word come from* Danziger thought) pant-covered backside. He saw this in an old holo-vid back on the stations. It seemed to work for this 'Duke' character and about now Devon had pushed enough buttons that John was willing to try anything once...once. He raised his hand to give that exposed part of her anatomy the same treatment his face received. He tried not to think about the feelings this close contact with her was causing. He could not bring his hand down to connect. He Wouldn't hit a woman...especially Devon Adair. (But the thought was entertaining.)

"Danziger!" Devon squeaked. "What ARE you doing?" She tried to squirm around to see his face.

Suddenly, he stopped all movement...froze...and quietly, but very forcefully said, "Devon, be still."

"John, what ARE you doing?" She felt his tension, but didn't understand it. "Are you actually going to strike me?"

"No," John hissed through clenched teeth. "I wasn't, but even if I were, I don't think THAT would let me....No, Do NOT move."

THAT froze Devon-finally. And slowly..oh so very slowly...she looked at his face. Following his eyes, she turned her head, and went white. There, about 10 yards, under a bush, was a koba...with its little arm raised, its little hand cocked, ready to....

"Oh, my God, John. Don't move!"

"I am definitely NOT moving, Adair." Danziger breathed. "O.K., Devon, got any ideas?"

"Would you listen if I did?"

"Dear Lord, Adair, not NOW. Yes, I am listening."

The koba was starting to relax his hand, but his arm was still raised.

"Let's start by calmly allowing me to sit up, and see if we can convince it we're not gonna hurt it."

"I don't think it's concerned with ITS safety...I think its worried about you. "Hey, little fella, it's O.K. I'm not gonna hurt the pretty lady. See?" Danziger smiled, while cautiously and gradually raised Devon off his lap, and sat her beside him. With the first movement, the koba drew his hand back again, but started relaxing in response to Danziger's soft voice and movements. But it still stood there, arm raised, hand cocked.

"I wonder what else it want," Danziger whispered.

"Maybe more reassurance, about my safety?" Devon whispered back. "It's alright, really," Devon called to the koba with a smile. "See, I'm fine."

"Listen to her, you naked little rodent," Danziger saccharined. "I do like her, see?" putting his arm around her gently and giving her a delicate squeeze. "Hell, I even love her, if it would make you go away in peace." With that he gave her a soft kiss on her cheek. "See that, I really do."

The koba finally lowered its arm, turned to go...then stopped. Casually, it turned back to the couple on the rock. It slowly wagged its claw at them, smiled, then disappeared in the underbrush.

The tension of the moment visibly was released by the pair.

"Damn, that was way too close," Danziger wheezed. He stood and stretched, as if being THAT still for too long hurt.

"My thoughts exactly, John," Devon agreed. Then, suddenly, the entire morning and all of the factors fell into place in her mind. She stood, and glanced up at Danziger through her bangs. "Did you mean it?"

"Mean what?" Danziger scowled. *does she have to look at me that way?* he thought.

"What you said to the koba, you know, about.....me?"

"Listen, Adair, what I feel about you is our-I mean MY business. There is too much going on right now to think about THIS. And I refuse to cornered by a hairless rodent, or by any one else right now, about any 'feelings' I may-or may not- have."

"You're right, Danziger," Devon sharply countered. She felt embarrassed about being reminded of all the responsibilities they had. Then, to herself, "No, not right now."

Danziger heard her, turned back and put his hands on her shoulders. "No, not right now, but...later?" with a questioning half-smile. "New Pacifica?"

"Yes. Later." She didn't have the strength to deal with these new 'factors'. "But this little event with Mr. Koba definitely underscores your ideas about the safety factor. We still will have to decide which eastern route...."

"We?" Danziger interrupted.

"Yes, Danziger, I said WE."

Danziger grabbed his chest and reeled, staggering down the hill. "Oh my God, Julia," he shouted. "It feels like the Big One. Get the dia-glove and jump-start this ol' heart of mine. Devon Adair listened for a change."

"Oh, shut up, ya big lug." Devon started laughing, giving Danziger a push.

"So now it's Big Lug, huh? Big Lug? This is all the thanks I get for putting up with you, for saving your hide just now, for...."

Devon interrupted, "Saving my hide! Saving MY hide? If it weren't for you in the first place.. all that macho......"

(This went on the rest of the way back to camp...and quite possible most of the way to New Pacifica.)

-The End-


OK, explaination: I was awakened early one Saturday morning with these two arguing in my head. The only way I could get them to shut up was to get up and start writing down(or trying to) everything I heard. This is the result. I put it to watching "First Contact" the night before. (or a bit of undercooked beef.)

Thanks for the ear.

Robin Carter
rbncrtr@ix.netcom.com

This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.