DO YOU EVER DREAM OF ME?
By
Ryver Kyle


Timeline: After "Grendlers in the Myst" (Day 72)
Author's E-Mail: RyverKyle@aol.com


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
I'm posting this story for Alex. Any thoughts, comments, or questions should be directed to her, RyverKyle@aolcom.


DO YOU EVER DREAM OF ME?

When I was a little girl, I remember my mother pulling out these ancient looking, dust-covered, rawhide binders called scrapbooks. Inside were paper pictures of people I'd never met, places I'd never seen and things I'd only heard of. They fascinated me. I always wondered how people could live on a planet and how they could keep their sanity without the calm sterility that I had come to believe was the greatest thing in the universe. I was wrong. Now, I live on a planet and the only things sterile are my vaccines. Day 79 on Planet G889. Almost three months. Who would have thoughts that this group of radically different people could ever get along so well. You would never have seen this on the stations. These people just would not have been introduced to each other. Back on the stations, my relationship with Alonzo would have been taboo. It never would have started in the first place. Here on G889, I find that my relationship with Alonzo is one of the reasons I'm still sane.

-Julia Heller, M.D.

***

Alonzo stepped away from the tent and sighed. He was exhausted. His muscles ached painfully from the night before. He and Walman had chopped enough firewood to last six weeks. Alonzo gazed up at the cloudu sky and then looked at the giant dome in the middle of camp. It summoned him. Julia was in there. She was either eating or serving breakfast. He tightened his leather jacket around his torso and began to move through the whipping wind towards the dome. The wind ran through his short hair which Julia had cut only days ago with surgical precisness. He shoved the door opened and it slammed shut behind him. He shook his head and laughed. He looked around for Julia and finally spotted her sitting across from Devon Adair at one of the tables. There was a bowl of what looked like oatmeal in front of her but it also looked to be relatively untouched. She had her head in her arms.
Alonzo crossed the room in two quick strides and sat down beside her. He took the bowl and stirred it, all the while, still watching Julia. She didn't notice him but Devon did and she fixed him with a bluntly amused gaze. He put a spoonful in his mouth, swallowed and leaned forward until his mouth was inches from her ear, "Did you sleep well?" Alonzo whispered. She raised her head and looked up at him, her dark blonde hair falling messily around her shoulders nad jutting out absurdly. Hey eyes were puffy and red from sleep deprivation. Devon licked her lips and tried her hardest not to start laughing but it was very difficult. Julia groaned and said, "What do you think?"
Alonzo grinned, his dimples deepening and replied with an amused tone, "I wouldn't have it any other way."
She groaned again and put her head back into her arms. Devon shook her head, "That's awful, Alonzo." He smiled again and leaned down. A gust of cold air filled the room then as the door snapped open and John Danziger and his daughter, True entered. True looked tired. She had a blanket wrapped around her and a blood red bandana over her messy hair. Danzigers' dirty blonde hair was as messy as Julias' but the difference was that Julia almost always brushed and combed her hair and pulled it back. Danz seemed to prefer his hair messy. Morgan Martin, who was quietly serving the food, quickly dished out two generous bowls of oatmeal and brown sugar. Danziger pointed True towards where Yale and Uly were having morning classes. True groaned but reluctantly stomped over to them. Danziger grinned and sat down next to Devon, "Morning, Adair." She nodded pleasantly and looked up at him with a smile gracing her face, "Good morning, John. Did you sleep well?" "Like a baby. You?" Danziger replied as he stirred brown sugar into his bowl by the ton. Julia watched the scene with painful distaste and then put her head back down.
Alonzo leaned over, "Can I talk to you for a minute?" She nodded. "Devon, you mind if we use your room real quick?" Julia asked. Devon bit her tongue quickly to keep from saying anything, "Sure..don't make a mess."
Julia apparently was too out of it to pick it up and she and Alonzo retreated to Devon's room. Danziger shook his head and laughed. Devon said, "I slept real well." She glaned at the room to her door. " I guess I can't say the same for them, though." Danziger laughed again. "No, I suppose not. Baines heard them last night." Devon sighed. "Hey, hand me some coffee, I'll take it out to Baines." Danziger nodded and stood. He crossed over to the coffe machine and begin to pour it.
"You know, I thought you'd take this better. It's not my fault, Julia!" A voice cried, rising quickly above the quiet chatter in the room. Almost instantly, the room became dead silent. Alonzo threw the door open and stepped out followed quickly by Julia. They both seemed oblivious to who was around them.
"You know, everything I've ever been told says you have some level of control over your dreams. Looks like either you don't or you don't want to use it." Julia snapped back angrily.
Devon looked first at Danziger and then at Yale who was standing above the startled children. She quickly motioned and Yale got the hint and ushered the children out. They were followed by the other colonists except for Danziger and Devon. "You think we should leave, John?" He shook his head, "They don't know we're here, Adair." "How was I supposed to know..I didn't even think she could get into my dreams anymore." Alonzo replied hotly.
Julia tilted her head in disbelief, "Anymore? Are you telling me she's been visiting you often?"
Alonzo shook his head slowly. Danziger mouthed Marys' name to Devon and she nodded, understanding and unfortunately seeing just where this fight was leading. "Are you that insecure?" Alonzo asked. "What?!" Julia cried.
"It's true...you're so insecure that you can't handle it. By God, you're jealous." Alonzo said.
Julia's eyes widened and then there was a beat before she replied hotly, "Of you, no." With that, she turned and left the dome, slamming the door angrily behind her. Danziger and Devon looked at each other. Alonzo took a deep breath and then started after her but Danziger grabbed his arm. "Let Devon take care of it."
Alonzo shook his head, "Wha..I don't.." He looked at Devon and then finally nodded, "Okay."
Devon smiled lightly and then charged at the door. Magus and Bess met her at the edge of camp. Both were bundled beneath two gigantic coats. "We're coming with, Devon." Bess said and that was that.

***

Alonzo Solace paced the room like a caged tiger. Frustration welled up inside him and it made him think. Why had he gotten angry and why had she? He groaned. The door opened. Alonzo looked up and saw Walman, Morgan Martin, Danziger and Baines enter. He shook his head in exasperation. "You know, this isn't the first fight we've had. I got angry at her because of her professional edge. I said that I thought we had evolved past professional and she just stared at me. She had this awful look on her face. I think I hurt her. She just walked away. We made up later but..oh man......"
"Don't worry, 'Lonz. The girls will talk to Julia, it'll be alright." Baines said. "You know, I ain't never understood women?" Danziger chuckled, "That's God's way, Baines. None of us guys will ever understand women. That's just how it is....and I'll be damned if it isn't one of the reasons we find them irrestiable." "Here, here." Walman said.
Alonzo nodded slowly and muttered, "Irrestiable and damned infuriating." He continued pacing as the others watched. He spun and gazed at Danziger, "What do you think they are telling her?"

***

When Bess, Devon and Magus stepped out of the wilted fauna and onto the snow-capped hill overlooking the camp, Julia was gazing into the gray sky. She was sitting on an old, dead log with the decaying leaves crunching beneath her hiking boots. She looked up at them, "What are you doing here?" Julia asked quietly.
"Could ask you the same thing. We're the relief crew." Bess Martin said brightly. Her genuine smile reached her glittering eyes. "Are you alright?"
"I think I blew it. Too easily. Oh God, I feel like an idiot." Julia replied shortly.
Devon sat down beside her on the log but stood quickly when the wood crumbled a bit. She took a deep breath and sat again, "Julia, that's not true. I was there. You had a good right to be angry. Alonzo was playing on your emotions...."
"But you got to realize it's only because he really loves you...." Bess put in.
"He didn't think you'd take it that way, is all. He simply didn't think it through." Magus finished.
Julia laughed, "Nice tag-team. Where is Alonzo?" "With the guys." Devon replied.
Julia's eyebrow arched, "Oh boy."

***

Alonzo sat down at the table finally. He picked up the silver cup of coffee and sipped the steaming brew. "I really messed up. I figure she'd just take it like she usually does. You know that professional way of hers but she got really mad. I'm not sure I understand. I didn't think she'd explode."
Walman said, "Well, maybe she didn't mean to. She has been having a lot of nights lately with the Whalen and Dell thing and that Terrian incident. Maybe stress and exhaustion just got to her." Alonzo tipped his head in acknowledgement. "So, what do I do? Do I wait for her to come to me or do I go to her?" Morgan laughed, "Well, I always go to Bess. That way, I'm on my hands and knees and she forgives me. If we were back on the stations, I'd get her holo-flowers or take her out."
"No..no..can't do that. Once you let them realize that they're in control, it's like buckling on a leash. They got that power and they ain't never letting go. I say you wait for her. When she apologizes first, then you go." Baines said.
Danziger shook his head in amusement, "No. The only way to do it is to ask her to talk. Neither should apologize first. You're a unit. You do things together. Trust me. 'Lonzo."
Alonzo sighed, "I don't know..."

***

"Devon, you know how it is back on the stations. I would never have even looked Alonzo's way. Except maybe for a one-night stand or something." "And that's beginning to get really looked down upon among the upper class." Devon replied, nodding slowly and thoughtfully. Julia sighed, "Oh hell, maybe getting involved in the first place was a mistake. He's got a reputation as a ladies' man. Maybe..." She choked emotionally on the words and had to take a deep breath. That rather suprised Bess and Magus (but not Devon). Julia was usually so in control, so in check. She continued emotionally, "Maybe he just wants someone to warm his bed during the cold nights."
"You can't believe that, Julia!" Bess said instantly. "You can't...and you don't. I'd have to be deaf, dumb and stupid and even then we'd be stretching it, not to see how Alonzo feels about you. He's got it for you bad. He loves you, Julia. He probably didn't mean to but he does anyhow. Whatever you do, Julia, don't doubt that." Bess finished with a quiet smile, "Look, neither of you intended for this to happen but it did just like nature happens. You can't really control it or else you ruin it. Neither of you meant to fall hopelessly in love but ya did and you have and ya gotta deal with the bumps and the lumps. When Morgan and I got together, all we heard was risk in this, risk in that. But, we made it. We stuck it through and rode it out together." She laughed gently, "You wouldn't believe how many times I went to talk to my sister or my mother though just because I needed to talk to someone. Don't worry, Julia. It's all worth it. I promise. Just hold on." Devon and Magus nodded. Magus said, "She's right, Julia. Neither you nor Alonzo are going anywhere soon...."
"That's all good while there it time but let's say Alonzo and I survive 'til New Pacifica? What then? Let's just say that. The Syndrome ship arrives, Alonzo leaves, I stay. Relationship over." Julia said. "Not neccesarily." Devon replied." A lot can happen. Hell, look what's happened already. Alonzo might stay. You can't worry about that now, Julia. You've got time. Take advantage of it." Julia nodded slowly, "Yeah. So, what do I do now? Alonzo was pretty angry..."
"If I know Morgan, he's telling Alonzo to get down on his hands and knees and beg for forgiveness. You know, it's so pathetic and sweet that I can't resist." Bess said with a laugh.
"Ah, but someone is bound to tell him to hold out." Magus injected. "I'd bet Danziger thinks you should talk to each other." Devon murmured, almost to herself. Sighing, she added, "And I agree. I'm sure Bess does too." Bess nodded. "Talk to him. You're a team. You and Alonzo have got to work this out together." Devon looked up, "You've got to." Julia nodded slowly, "I know. Lord do I know. Thank you."

***

Devon, Bess and Magus walked back to camp without Julia. She wnated some time alone in order to think everything out. How like Julia, Bess thought to herself. Julia had wanted time to map it all out in her head. Bess had jokingly said that she would have just plunged ahead and that was probably even the truth but both Julia and Devon were different than that. They were both incredibly logical and Bess guessed that Julia's first really impulsive act had been running out to to try to take the Z.E.D.'s bullet for Alonzo. They were mappers. Everything was just so. They knew exactly what they were going to do and it made sense to them. To Bess Martin, passion and emotion were better left spontanity. Danziger and Walman approached them at the edge of camp. "Any luck?" Danziger asked, rubbing his hands together. "Yeah..um, Julia will return soon. How about Alonzo?" Magus said. "It's cool." Walman replied. He handed the women steaming cups of coffee. "Yale made it." He told them. Devon took it, sipped it and smiled and nodded. Walman continued, "Alonzo is willing to talk. Man, does he got it bad for her."
"Well, Walman, it's mutual which makes this situation all the worse. When two people who honestly, truely love each other start hurting each other, it's bad for everyone." Devon said as she glanced at the snow-capped mountains on the horizon. "But this is gonna be alright." "Where's Alonzo?" Bess asked, looking at Devon. No one asked the burning question on everyone's minds. How did Devon know that? Was it personal experience?
"Alonzo is in Julia's tent waiting for her." Danziger replied. "When Julia returns, I think we should all just back off and let it be." "I agree." Devon said.
"Well then, y'all, I'm back." Doctor Julia Heller said walking up behind them. She had her hands behind her back and a very quiet, reserved aura reserved around her. "He's in my med-tent?" Danziger nodded, "Yeah. Good luck."
She smiled thinly, "Thanks, John." She took a deep breath and then walked slowly towards the tent.
"Alonzo?" she said quietly as she pushed the flap away. He was lying on the bed with his hands behind his head gazing up at the ceiling with a restless, thoughtful expression on his handsome face. When he heard her voice, he immediately sat up and looked at her. He looked back down at his hands.
"Julia...I...I..." Alonzo sputtered. It was an odd feeling to not be able to talk straight to a woman. But hell, this wasn't just any woman.....
"Alonzo, can we talk, please?" Julia asked. He nodded. She said, "Not here, uh, too many people too involved." "Yeah." Alonzo said. He felt rather stupid that that was all he could say but it would do. He stood. He and Julia exchanged a long lingering look and then tore their eyes away from each other and walked out of the tent. they saw everyone pretending to not to see them but failing miserably. Quite involuntarily, Julia blushed deeply. They walked down to the snow bank which the children liked to pretend they skated on. Julia was never quite comfortable with it's thickness but it really hadn't done a damn thing to make her suspicious so she didn't say anything about it when Alonzo slid out to the middle of the pond. He held out his hand and so she went to him. "Julia, I want you to know.."
"Alonzo, I don't care, I have to say it, I'm..." "Sorry." They finished together. Julia blushed again and Alonzo laughed nervously.
"Look, Alonzo, I'm sorry I got jealous. I...I just like to know exactly what I'm doing and where I'm going but whenever I'm with you, all common sense goes out the window." Julia said softly, her back to Alonzo. He took her shoulders and turned her towards him, "Julia, it's okay. I understand but you got to realize that we are no longer on the stations. No one is going to tell us what we can and can't do except for ourselves. You don't got to be one hundred percent logical all the time. It's okay to let down your hair. I kinda like it that way." She bit her lip and gazed into his beautiful dark eyes. "I.." She sighed deeply and said, "Whatever happens, happens, right, Alonzo?" Alonzo touched her face and smiled.
"Yeah. Whatever happens, happens and we'll deal with it together. I promise." He pulled her into his arms and she moved towards the warmth of his muscular body. He murmured, "I wish we had ice-skates." Julia arched her eyebrow and looked at him, "VR-skating is just as fun and we do have gear."
He kissed her, "Yes, we do."

***

Danziger glanced at his chronometer, "Two-thirty in the morning. Where are they?" He didn't really seem that worried so much as amused. Alonzo was older but Danziger was probably wiser when it came to dealing with long-term relationships and such. He gazed over at a half-awake Devon Adair. They were both on night-watch. There was a thermos next to Devon's left arm. Danziger wondered just how many of the colonists were addicted to caffeine now.
Devon yawned, "No idea. they both took gear though. If there was trouble, I think we'd have heard from them, don't you? You think we should call 'em?"
Danziger shook his curly locks, "No..I think we should leave them be. I'd hate to...you know..interrupt them." Devon nodded tirredly, understanding perfectly. "Hey, Devon, look." Danziger said suddenly. He pointed into the shadows towards the med-tent. They could clearly see two people standing by the tent. They were pushed together, probably kissing. "That them?" Devon nodded and grinned, "It's has to be. Besides the Martins', they are the only couple and the Martins'..." she pointed to another tent," ....are over there. It's them, alright. It looks like everything went well."
"Good. Maybe they can take night duty." Danziger muttered. Devon laughed, "Probably not a good idea, John. The idea, if I'm not mistaken of night-watch is to watch for things. The way those two are going..." she tilted her head to watch skeptically, "I tend to think the only thing they will be watching , is each other." "Well, someone should tell them to go inside. Not only is it damned cold but I can't say I'm too eager to have to explain them to Uly and True." Danziger replied.
Devon nodded, "No kidding."

***

Morgan looked up from his breakfast serving as Alonzo entered the done. A gigantic smile covered his handsome face. "Morning." He said. "Well, you're sure happy," Baines noted. Alonzo took a deep breath and then he grinned. "Alright, Alonzo, she came crawling back, huh?" Baines shouted cheerily.
Alonzo shook his head and grinned, "No..no, it wasn't like that at all." Devon laughed and shook her head. Men. She and Bess walked outside to where Magus and Julia were talking. "I trust all went well?" Bess asked. "Oh yeah. We..you know. We went ice-skating." Bess squealed in excitement, "Oh how romantic." Julia smiled, "Thanks, you guys."

***

Well, that one was difficult. After braving psychotic criminals, angry Terrians and the horrific elements, I don't think any of us ever suspected that what could destroy us was love. But it didn't destroy us, it saved us because true love conquers all. No story, no fairytale, it's true. It reminded us all why we are here on G889; to find a new beginning, away from the space stations and all it's regulations....and expectations. No one tells us that we're not right for each other or that we can't be friends..or lovers. Here on this distant planet, all that really matters is that we have each other. God knows how far we can go as long as we have each other.

-Devon Adair

-The End-


I keep six honest serving-men
(They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why and When
And How and Where and Who. --Kipling


This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.