LOYALTIES
By
Rosa M. Moran


Timeline: On way to New Pacifica
Author's E-Mail: STSWNut@aol.com


AUTHOR'S NOTES:

Hello Everyone!! I am proud to announce my next Earth 2 story entitled "Loyalties". This story takes place after "Long Journey Home". It doesn't contain any romance, mostly just adventure and suspense. There is a tiny bit of harsh language and violence, but it's nothing to make a big deal over. And as usual the story mostly centers around Julia, and the new characters that I've created.

I started this story back in February. It took me longer to write than I had anticipated but "real" life invaded and I just got busy. I'm not sure whether I'll write another one any time soon. It will depend on the feedback I receive on this one. Actually, I'm thinking of writing an X-Files story (this show being my newest passion <G>). But in any case, unless I think of a short story, I probably wouldn't start another one until after November when I return from my vacation to Australia/New Zealand.

There are a couple of things I wanted to mention before you read the story. First, in my first story "Mountain of Fear", I made a mistake. I said the Eden Crew had two ATV's when in actuality they only have one. This was graciously pointed out by several readers months ago. Therefore I never mentioned the second ATV in any of my other stories. In this story.... again there is only one ATV, but as you'll recall in "Long Journey Home" a second Dune Rail was retrieved, so the group now has two Dune Rails, one ATV, and one Transrover. I just wanted to make that clear. Second, this story contains eleven chapters. I plan to post one chapter everyday.... so the last chapter should appear on July 29th (My Birthday!!). I'm doing this because the fan fiction mailing list seems to be a little quiet these days.... who am I kidding.... it's been dead! So I thought this would give you guys something to look forward to for the next eleven days. There is some good news though, I know of several people that are currently working on stories, so I'm sure there will be more posts soon.

Last but not least I'd like to thank several people. First and foremost, Maxine McBrinn. Max made some excellent suggestions to improve my story, and for that I am extremely grateful to her. Without her, my story wouldn't be half as good. Thanks Max! Second, I'd like to thank Joan Powers, and Paula Sanders. I really appreciate all of your support and encouragement, as well as your suggestions early on. Thanks Joan! Thanks Paula! Finally, I'd just like to let those of you who have read parts of the story, know that you might want to start again at the beginning, due to some changes I've made especially to chapter six.

Well that's about it. Sorry for the long intro. I can get a little carried away sometimes. <G> I hope you all enjoy it. I really tried to put a lot of effort into making it interesting. Please let me know what you think..... I'd like to know if you guys would like me to write another one. :-)

Take care,
Rosa M. Moran
Email Address: STSWNut@aol.com

Disclaimer: The characters of Captain Derrick O'Ryan, Commander Michael West, Lieutenant Ryan Donaldson, Sergeant Gary Morton, Dr. Benjamin Conners, Dr. Lawrence Webber, and Corporals Gardner and Young belong to me. I made them up and any similarities to known people is purely coincidental. Any use of these characters in other stories requires my permission (which you all know I'll give anyway.... but ask first). The rest of the characters are the property of Amblin/Universal, and I'm just borrowing them for this story. No infringement on any copyright laws are intended.

This story is Rated PG-13 (unlike my last story which had an NC-17 version <BG>). Sorry guys..... no love scenes in this one. <G> ;-)

Enjoy!!


LOYALTIES (1/11)
by Rosa M. Moran
Copyright July 1996

Earth Orbit
Main Corridor, Central Station
0750 hour
Approx. 24 hours after Eden Projects departure.

Only the sounds of your typical regulation military boots on the smooth metal surface of the corridors could be heard as Captain Derrick O'Ryan swiftly walked in the direction of Dison Blalocks office. He had been ordered to report to Blalock by 0800 this morning. Why he needed to report was never mentioned. But Captain O'Ryan was no fool, he had been in the military and working for the Council for far too long to not already have an idea as to why he had been summoned. He new that the previous day Devon Adair and her Eden Project had taken off without clearance. He had also heard of the explosion that occurred, and of the Council's news reports of the projects unfortunate demise. He knew those news broadcasts were false, and that Eden Project was not destroyed by that bomb. In a way he wished them luck. He was a good friend of Brodrick O'Neil. They had been old military buddies, and he knew O'Neil was on that ship. Now he was headed toward Blalock's office and he had a feeling that it had something to do with the Eden Project. Arriving at Blalock's office, he knocked and was told to enter.

"Ah, Captain O'Ryan. It's good to see you. Please have a seat." Blalock said as he stood and motioned toward a chair across from his desk. "We need to have a little chat concerning your next mission."

"Sir.... we just arrived from a mission less than thirty-six hours ago. My men are due for some R & R."

"I realize that Captain, but this mission is of great importance. I've been instructed to offer you and your men twice the usual salary upon completion of the mission."

O'Ryan's interest peaked immediately. It wasn't often that the Council was willing to pay double for anything. Either this mission was much more important than he thought or much more dangerous. Either way he wasn't too thrilled, but he knew he wasn't going to get much choice in the matter. The Council always got it's way, and heaven help anyone that questioned it's decisions or rulings. "That's very kind of the Council. So what's the mission?"

"I'm sure you've heard of Devon Adair and her Eden Project." O'Ryan nodded. "Good..... then I'm sure you've heard of it's unfortunate destruction."

"I've heard, and I also know it's not true. I was out near the docking bays when I saw them pull out. I saw the explosion, and it wasn't large enough to have been a ship."

"That was very perceptive of you Captain. You are correct, the ship did not explode. Adair and her people managed to get rid of the bomb in time."

"I'm surprised that the Council would go to such lengths to keep her from leaving."

"Oh the Council would never officially condone such an action. But there are those that would be willing to sacrifice the few for the overall good of the many." What he didn't tell O'Ryan was that the bomb was his idea, and it had failed miserably. He thought that his career would be over due to this fiasco. Truth be told the Council had been determined to have his head over this. Fortunately he had come up with an idea to save what otherwise would have been a disaster, and the Council in their great wisdom had given him another chance to redeem himself. They had even entrusted him with vital and previously confidential information, concerning the computer known as Eve, and the inside operative Dr. Julia Heller. He was thrilled that they had entrusted him with such information and was determined to succeed at all costs.

"So the fact that she is continuing her mission is not good in the Council's eyes."

"That's right. Which brings me to the reason I've asked you here. Adair has two ships. One carries the colonists and their children. That ship is due to arrive two years after the advanced ship arrives and sets up camp. Adair is in the advanced ship. The Council is very interested in planet G889. Unfortunately, there are some indigenous life forms there that are making settlement difficult. The Council is very interested in controlling that planet, and we do not want Adair and her people in charge. We want you and your men to leave as soon as possible. We want you to take control of whatever Adair and her people have set up. Besides you and your men, you will also be carrying military armament, as well as some medical personnel and equipment. You'll have two contacts when you arrive. One is Citizen Reilly. The other is Dr. Julia Heller." Blalock could tell from O'Ryan's expression that he had recognized the Heller name. "I see that you've heard of Heller."

"Not of the Doctor, but I've heard of the name. I believe her mother was on the Board of Regents with the Council."

"That's correct. Dr. Heller is working undercover within Adair's group. You are to make contact with either one of them, and follow their orders without question. Is that understood?" O'Ryan nodded. "Very well. When do you think you'll be prepared to leave?"

"Mmmm..... that's hard to say. We sustained some damage from our last mission and it will take some time to repair it. Then we have to stock the ship with various supplies and equipment. If all goes well and on schedule, I'd say we should be able to take off in about three or four weeks."

"Very well Captain. I suggest you get started. Keep me informed of your progress. I want to know when you're ready to leave."

"Yes sir." He stood to leave. "I'll make sure to keep you informed." Just as he was about to walk out the door, Blalock called to him.

"Ah Captain..... This mission *is* confidential. I don't want it spread all over the stations." O'Ryan nodded and walked out.


Four months later
Earth Orbit
Docking Bays
On board the Sentinel

Blalock stepped onto the bridge and saw O'Ryan looking over some equipment. "Captain..... what's your status."
O'Ryan turned toward Blalock with an annoyed expression. He didn't like to be pushed and that's exactly what Blalock had been doing for the past three months. Ever since it became apparent that the mission would be delayed do to unforeseen mechanical problems. He was glad to be leaving. He never liked sticking in one place for too long, and he had already been here much longer than he cared for. "Everything appears to be on schedule sir. We'll be leaving within the hour."

A large smile broke across his face. "That's excellent Captain. Then I won't trouble you any further, I'll just take a walk around. You should be very proud..... the Sentinel is a fine ship."

"With an equally excellent crew!" O'Ryan shouted toward Blalocks retreating figure. *Pompous Jerk.*

An hour later the Sentinel, with its' crew of fifty military personnel, and ten scientific and medical personnel left the relative safety of the Station's docking bays to venture on its' secret mission to planet G889.


22 years later
Approaching Planet G889
Approximately 170 days after Eden Project Crashed on the surface

The cyro-tube slowly opened revealing one very sleepy man in his mid-forties of average height, with dark eyes and hair, which was beginning to gray at the temples. He was a rather striking man with a good build who had made a career in the military. It had been so long that he couldn't even remember his life before the military. Then again it wasn't much of a life before the military. The military was his life as it was for his father before him, and his father. Yet, he was really getting tired of these long trips. *I'm beginning to think it's just not worth the extra money.* Maybe it was time to retire, and try something different..... but what...... he didn't know anything else. Well there was no time to dwell on this now. O'Ryan groggily got to his feet and stretched. He noticed that most of his crew were still in stasis. He slowly changed into his uniform and headed toward the bridge. There he found his pilot and second officer Lieutenant Ryan Donaldson. The young lieutenant was a fine pilot and a good asset to him. Donaldson was a tall young man. A little over six feet he stood, with dark brown hair and eyes. He appeared to be in his mid-twenties, although in actuality due to cryo-tubes, was much older. O'Ryan chuckled. But then again they all were.

Donaldson jumped out of his seat, not realizing that his Captain was standing behind him until he chuckled. "Sir?"

"At ease Lieutenant." O'Ryan walked up behind him as Donaldson returned to his seat and continued to check the monitors. "What's our status?"

"We're right on course Sir. We should be entering orbit within the hour." "Excellent! Start sending out our recognition codes, and inform me the moment either Dr. Heller, or Citizen Reilly makes contact. I'm going to have a look around and make sure everyone and everything is in order."

"Yes sir." He said to O'Ryan's retreating figure. "Transmission is underway."

It was thirty minutes later that Captain O'Ryan was called to return to the bridge. They had received a response to their transmission and he was needed immediately. He hurriedly returned to the bridge and was immediately met by his first officer Commander Michael West. West was not O'Ryan's first officer by choice. His first officer was seriously injured in their last mission, and West was dropped in his lap by the Council as a temporary replacement. The only problem being that O'Ryan didn't like the man. He had a reputation of being ruthless, and wouldn't hesitate to do whatever it took to get on the Council's good side. He always jumped at the chance to point out things that were against Council policies, and frankly that annoyed O'Ryan. Standing a little over six feet in height, with the make of a body builder, West was a rather imposing man. It was obvious he worked to keep in shape. He had a smile that could easily sway even the most resistant hearts. And with his sandy blond hair and blue eyes it was easy to see why he never had problems with the ladies.

"Sir... we're receiving a response to our transmissions." "Is it Heller?"
"No sir. We haven't been able to reach her. It's Reilly." At that moment a voice rang out from the monitor behind O'Ryan. "And I'm afraid you won't be able to reach the good doctor, Captain." O'Ryan quickly turned around and saw a man's face on the monitor. "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Reilly, and I'm here to help you. I suggest you get comfortable..... I have a long story to tell. A lot has happened in the past few months that you will need to know in order to complete your mission."

"And what exactly is our mission Mr. Reilly." "All in due time Captain..... all in due time. And please just call me Reilly. Now let me start at the beginning...." Reilly spent the next hour relaying all of the events that have taken place in the last few months.... from the time the Eden Advance crew crashed, to the time Devon got sick and was placed in a cryo-tube, then was cured.

"That was a very interesting story." "Yes.... wasn't it. Okay.... now listen carefully..... this is what I want you to do....."

An hour later, O'Ryan ordered West to prepare to land. They would be leaving the ship in orbit while the entire crew, with equipment, transported down to the surface. It would take several trips to unload everything and everyone, but they didn't have any choice. They had to have everything ready before they confronted the Eden Project crew. Their camp would be set up at the New Pacifica location.

O'Ryan watched all of the activity from the bridge of his ship. Everything appeared to be going smoothly. *Then why am I uneasy about this mission?* O'Ryan wasn't sure, all he did know was that he was feeling uncomfortable about following some of the orders that Reilly had given them. That's not to say that he wouldn't obey the orders. He had never in his military career disobeyed a direct order from the Council or their representatives. It's just that these orders seemed a little unorthodox by even Council standards, and made him feel very uncomfortable. He was interrupted from his thoughts by his first officer's voice.

"Captain.... the shuttles are ready for departure." "Very well Commander.... I'm on my way." And with those words he left the bridge, and quickly stifled any second thoughts he had about this mission.

End of Chapter One...... To be continued in Chapter Two........


LOYALTIES (2/11)
by Rosa M. Moran
Copyright July 1996

Several Months Later
Somewhere along the road to New Pacifica Eden Project, Advance Crew

(Voice of Alonzo Solace)

Over a month has passed since Julia and Bess rejoined our group. We're about four weeks away from reaching New Pacifica. With each passing day the excitement grows. But with the excitement there is also apprehension. What will we find? Will Eve and the Council be a threat? I know that Julia has not been sleeping well, although she'll try to deny it. Her restlessness grows as we near New Pacifica. It's the fear of the unknown that keeps her up at night. I know that Reilly's words still ring clearly and weigh heavily on her mind..... "The boy is mine! Deliver him to me, or you will die running!" She's afraid of what the Council will do to us..... to her. In truth I fear for her more than for myself. I wish I could honestly say there was nothing to worry about, but I'm just not sure anymore, and she knows me too well to be fooled.

Alonzo headed toward the Med-Tent with every intention of dragging Julia out to join the rest of the group for dinner. He figured he'd find her at her work table analyzing various vegetation that seemed edible in the area. That's basically how she spent her time lately. Each evening when they stopped she would hide away in the Med-Tent..... bury her worries in her work. This is what troubled Alonzo. She wasn't getting enough rest and he was afraid that she would end up burning herself out. Preparing himself for a fight, he entered only to find an exhausted Julia leaning over her work table with her head in her arms. He walked over to her, and gently placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Julia?" He whispered.
With speed that surprised Alonzo, Julia jumped to her feet, like she'd been shot from a canon. "Alonzo!...... You scared the hell out of me!" She ran her fingers through her hair.

"What's wrong Julia?"
"Nothing's wrong ‘Lonz." She replied with a smile, trying to show a more relaxed look. "I'm just tired."

Alonzo knew better. She was jumpy and tense, no matter how much she tried to hide it. "You want to talk about it?"

"I can never hide anything from you, can I?" "Nope, and I'm afraid you're stuck with me, so spill it. What's wrong?" She began to pace back and forth in front of Alonzo. "I'm just worried ‘Lonz. Worried about the group. Worried about you. Worried whether Eve or the Council will be giving us trouble. Worried about....."

He had been watching her pace as she rambled on, when a sudden inspiration struck him. Reaching for her, he pulled her close and kissed her soundly, effectively silencing her troubled speech. A minute later he pulled back with a grin to see her rather dazed expression. Pleased with his results, he decided to try and loosen her up a little. So he kissed her again, only this time with much more emotion and urgency behind it. It had the expected results as he could almost feel the tension she'd been feeling slip away. A few moments later they broke the kiss and just held tightly to each other.

"Feel better?"
"Mmmm... much....thanks. I guess I needed that." "Come on, lets go eat."
She hesitated for a moment before deciding it would probably be best to go. Besides Alonzo didn't look like he was about to accept any excuses for not going, and she didn't want to get into an argument.

"Okay flyboy, lead on."
They walked over to the main tent located in the center of camp. That was where meetings were held, and food dispensed. As they entered, Julia noticed that Devon, Danziger, and Yale appeared to be looking over some maps. She started to walk in their direction when Alonzo grabbed her arm.

"Woah there, Doc. Where do you think you're going? We came here to eat not to join in a meeting."

"Go ahead and get us some food. I'm just going to go over there and see what's going on."

"You promise to sit and eat?"
"Yes. I promise." Leaning up, she gave him a quick kiss, and gently nudged him in the direction where the food was being served by Denner.

She watched him for a moment then turned and headed toward Devon. They were so engrossed with looking at the maps that they didn't even hear her approach.

"Hey guys what's up?"
Devon looked up and grinned. "So Alonzo finally got you to come out and relax a little."

"Well, I just wanted to test a few of the local plants, and I'm happy to say that some are even edible."

"That's great Julia, but really..... you need to relax a little. You're working yourself too hard."

Wanting to change the subject, Julia leaned over Yale's shoulder and took a look at the maps. "Speaking of work.... what's so interesting about these maps you're looking at?" Alonzo walked up and handed Julia a plate of food as Yale started to explain.

"It appears that we've encountered a crossroads in our journey that we were unaware of, and that may prove to be an exciting discovery."

"I don't understand......"
"What Yale means is that we've found another way to New Pacifica that will shorten our trip by days maybe weeks." Danziger clarified.

Alonzo's interest immediately peaked. "How many days are you talking about here?"

Yale glanced at Alonzo. "Several days..... approximately fourteen to be exact. If we take this other path we should reach New Pacifica in two weeks rather than four."

Up until this point Julia had remained quiet. "Wait a minute..... why the sudden change? Why didn't we know about this sooner?"

"We really didn't know how good this other path was until now." Devon said. "None of the maps we had on the area clearly showed this path." Yale pointed to an area on one of the maps. "As you can see it's difficult to tell from these maps what the terrain looks like. There appears to be a path, but with all of the surrounding wooded area, it's unclear. We thought there would be too many trees and other obstacles to maneuver around."

"And there aren't?"
"No.... You know that Walman and I went scouting ahead in the Rail today." Julia nodded. "Well, we spotted a ridge that would give us a good look at the area we were heading for, so we headed over there. When we climbed up and looked out, we spotted the other path. We used our jumpers to take a closer look. The path sort of winds through the woods. It appears to vary in width, but it looks wide enough for the Transrover. It looks pretty clear too. There were patches of trees here and there along the path, but nothing we shouldn't easily be able to get around."

"Don't you think it's a little strange that a path that was fairly heavily wooded, all of a sudden, appears not to be?"

"Hey Doc..... I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. Anyway you slice it, two weeks is a whole lot better than four."

"Besides Julia.... we can't be sure that it was heavily wooded. As I mentioned, the maps are unclear. What we could have been viewing was a sensor echo from the surrounding forest." Yale explained.

"I understand...... but we also don't know if this other path is clear all the way to New Pacifica. We know what to expect from our current path. The other one is unknown."

"Look, that other path looks smoother and the vehicles could use a little less wear and tear. They're gonna come in handy while we're setting up camp at New Pacifica. Even if the path is blocked part of the way, I think we should be able to clear the rest and still get to New Pacifica earlier than expected. As far as I'm concerned it's a risk I'm willing to take. You got a problem with getting to New Pacifica ahead of time or something, Doc?"

"Nnnooo..... no.... of course not. It's just that I didn't want us to make any hasty decisions. I think we should think about this a little before we decide to change our course, that's all."

Devon could tell that Danziger was willing to argue the point, so she stepped in before the conversation got too heated. "I think that Julia's right John. I think we need to think about this and let the group decide. We'll tell the group and take a vote first thing tomorrow morning." "Fine.... we'll do it your way Adair." Danziger grumbled. The meeting then changed to other more general topics, so Alonzo gently nudged Julia over to a table off to the side where there was a little more privacy. They sat down and started to eat, or at least Alonzo was eating. Julia had barely touched the food. She spent most of her time pushing it around on her plate.

"Hey Doc.... come on..... you promised to eat." "I am eating."
"No you're not, for the past ten minutes you've just been staring at your plate and moving your food around." Reaching over, he took her hand, whispering, "What's wrong? And don't you dare say nothing."

Julia looked up and grinned. *What in the world did I ever do to deserve you Alonzo. How did I ever get so lucky.* Her grin was quickly replaced with a more serious look. "I'm worried about that new path we found."

"What about it? I think it's great." "I'm not so sure. Call it a sixth sense, but something about this new path just doesn't feel right. I just can't seem to put my finger on it."

"You worry to much. We're lucky to have found a shorter path if you ask me." He could still see the troubled look in her eyes. "Look.... everything is going to work out. We're almost home. Cheer up." A mischievous grin crossed his face. "Now eat up or you won't get any dessert tonight."

"Alonzo.... there's no dess......" She then noticed the look on his face and blushed. "Oh...."

Without saying another word, Julia dug into her dinner, finishing it with unexpected speed. A few minutes later, Alonzo stood, and offered Julia his hand, whispering, "How about some dessert?"

Smiling up at him, she took his hand. As he lead her toward their tent, she whispered, "I think dessert would be *very* nice." That was the last time anyone saw the couple until the next morning.

Bright and early the next morning, after everyone had eaten breakfast, and had started to pack up, Devon gathered everyone around, and explained the situation. She gave them the pros and cons of making either decision. A vote was taken........ a decision made, and within the hour they were off on a *new* path of adventure.


New Pacifica
A Couple of Hours Later

Lost in his own thoughts, Captain O'Ryan stood looking out his small office window at the activities taking place in the center of town when a knock on his door distracted him.

"Come in." He turned to face his guest. Commander West quickly entered and saluted. "Sir, we just received a transmission from Citizen Reilly."

"And?"
A wide smile appeared on the young Commanders face. "Sir, it appears that your plan is working as predicted. Eden Project spotted the path we cleared, and are headed right into our trap! As long as they don't get suspicious, it won't be long before we finally have what we came for."

"There shouldn't be any reason for them to get suspicious. We pulled the stumps out and regraded when we cut down the trees. We also left enough obstacles in their way to hide the fact that it was a man made path."

"Yet, we also made sure not to have *too* many obstacles that would make the path undesirable. It was a perfect plan. Things couldn't be going any better!" West excitedly added.

"Yes.... it does appear to be going according to plan, doesn't it. Very well, Commander. Deploy the troops to their designated positions, once they get within two days travel from the dead end, and have them hold until I give the order to move in. You're dismissed."

"Yes sir! I'll get right on it." Commander West turned to leave when O'Ryan remembered one last thing.

"Oh..... one more thing Commander. They have a Zero unit. Remind the troops to take the sensor jammers with them. I don't want them to be detected prematurely."

"Yes sir. I'll make sure everything is taken care of." And with those words, West left the office.

"Mmmmm.... I'm sure you will Commander." O'Ryan whispered as he turned back toward the window. *So things are moving smoothly..... I should be happy. Then why am I so troubled? Why doesn't it feel right? I find myself questioning Citizen Reilly's orders. But how would I justify questioning the Council's orders? Why question their orders in the first place? I never have before, why now? I have so many questions, and no answers. Is it this place.... this planet. The beauty here is unbelievable. I can see why Adair chose this planet, and why the Council wants it...... but to gain this planet through force, and suffering of a few colonists..... Is that a cost too high to pay? I pray I never have to find out.*

End of Chapter Two...... To be continued in Chapter Three........


LOYALTIES (3/11)
by Rosa M. Moran
Copyright July 1996

(Voice of Alonzo)

We've traveled almost two weeks down this new path, and all seems to be going well. The path is perfect, as if it were made just for us. It's almost as smooth as a road, with very few obstacles. The obstacles we have encountered have been easily avoided. Perhaps that's one of the reasons why I'm suddenly feeling uneasy about our decision to take this path. I now know what Julia was talking about.... this seems very strange indeed. I think Devon is starting to feel a little uneasy too, because several days ago she sent Baines and Cameron on ahead in a Dune Rail to report back on the status of the path. They've been scouting just a day ahead of us for the past few days but nothing unusual has happened..... yet.

"Baines to Adair. Come in Devon."
Devon who was walking with Julia and Alonzo along side the Transrover quickly switched on her gear. "Adair here. What is it Baines?"

"Devon.... we've got a problem."
"Problem? What kind of problem?"
"The kind that's going to slow us down a bit. Take a look for yourself." Baines swung the eyepiece around to let Devon get a view of what he was staring at. What Devon saw was trees.... lots of trees, and they were directly in their path. A virtual dead end to the road.

"Oh great! I don't believe it. There goes our easy two weeks to New Pacifica." Devon sighed. "How far ahead are you?"

"Well, I figure with the Transrover and all, that you'd probably reach us in about a day and a half maybe a day depending on how hard you push it."

"Okay Baines.... listen, you and Cameron hang tight. We're going to set up camp there, and then figure out what we're going to do."

"You got it. We'll take a look around and see if we find anything interesting while we're waiting."

"That's fine, just don't wonder off too far. Adair out." Devon switched off her gear and found herself staring into the questioning faces of Julia and Alonzo.

"Trouble?" Alonzo asked.
"You could say that. It appears that we've reached a dead end.... or at least we will reach it in about a day."

Julia worriedly glanced at Alonzo before turning back to address Devon. "What exactly do you mean by 'a dead end'?" "What I mean is there are enough trees blocking our path to prevent us from continuing.... or at least continuing with the Transrover."

"What are we going to do?" Julia asked. "I'm not sure yet. When we get there, we'll make camp, take a look around the area, and decide our next move." They stood there in silence for a moment before Devon spoke up again. "Well, I better go and let Danziger know what's going on." With those words she headed off toward the Transrover's cab, where she knew she'd find Danziger driving.


The Scout Team Camp
A few hours later

Baines leaned back against the Dune Rail, and placed the Mag-Pro down beside him. He figured if he had to wait, he might as well relax while doing it. Maybe he'd even catch a cat nap in the process. He had taken a quick look around after talking with Devon, but didn't spot anything of interest. He glanced over in the direction that Cameron had taken through the woods. Cameron on the other hand wanted to keep looking, and had decided to continue exploring which was just fine with Baines. As long as he wasn't bothered, Baines was happy. He took a breath and let it out slowly as he entwined his fingers behind his head, and closed his eyes for a long awaited nap.

Cameron walked slowly through the woods. He was looking for anything interesting that Julia might be able to check out later to see if it was edible. After almost a year traveling across this land, he and the others had learned to spot potential food sources. It wasn't long before something caught his eye. He rushed over to the items of interest, not even noticing two individuals hidden among some nearby bushes.

Crouching down to get a better look, he called out to Baines. "Hey Baines! Come over here a minute, and get a load of this!" When he received no immediate answer he shouted for Baines again.

"Hey, hold your horses.... I'm coming!" Baines shouted back. Baines quickly made his way through the woods to where Cameron was crouching, passing by the bushes where the two observers were hidden. Cameron excitedly pointed toward his discovery once Baines was near enough to see.

"Well, what do you think?"
Baines knelt down to take a closer look and grinned. "Looks to me like we're going to get the opportunity to eat some more of Bess's delicious mushroom soap. Let's take some samples back with us so that Julia can test them once they get here."

Cameron nodded, and they both stuffed a few in their pockets, then walked back to the Dune Rail to await the others.

Once Cameron and Baines were out of earshot, one of the two observers looked at his companion. "Contact the Sergeant for further orders." His companion nodded then proceeded to pull out his communications gears and contact homebase.


New Pacifica
Captain's Office
Same Day

Captain O'Ryan quietly sat in his office listening to Commander West relay his status reports on how the mission was proceeding, as well as, other less important matters. Or at least O'Ryan thought they were less important. West was a stickler for the rules, and did not appreciate the actions of some of the crew toward breaking or stretching the rules. O'Ryan on the other hand was not so keen on the rules, as long as his men did the work, and did it well and on time, he wasn't going to worry about whether they followed the rules to the letter. So it was with great relief, after listening to West rattle on for over an hour about various problems under his command, that Captain O'Ryan acknowledged the knock on his door.

"Enter."
In came O'Ryan's second officer and pilot, Lieutenant Donaldson. From the expression on his face, O'Ryan realized he had some very important news to relay. Donaldson quickly stood in the center of the office at attention, and saluted his superior officers.

"At ease Lieutenant." O'Ryan saw his young officer visibly relax. "I take it you have some news to deliver?"

"Yes sir! We just received word from Sergeant Morton. It appears that the Eden Project sent a two man scout team out ahead, and they've reached the dead end. They now appear to be waiting for the others. Morton wanted to know if you wanted them to detain these two for questioning."

"Of course we want them detained Lieutenant! Tell the men to capture them and bring them to New Pacifica for immediate interrogation." West excitedly ordered.

Donaldson started turning to leave and relay those orders when Captain O'Ryan quickly stood, and shouted, "Belay those orders Lieutenant!" Donaldson abruptly stopped and turned back toward the Captain. "Captain?" "I do not want the men to reveal themselves until *I* give the order to do so. Tell Morton to keep the men out of sight." O'Ryan ordered.

"Yes sir! Is there anything else?"
"No. You're dismissed."
With a quick salute Donaldson started to leave. As he turned to close the door behind him, he saw the Captain and Commander facing each other in what he knew was going to be a confrontation over this issue.

It was obvious to O'Ryan that West didn't like this decision. West was a man of action, and just sitting around waiting for things was just not his style. O'Ryan didn't like the look that West was giving him. "Do you have a problem with my orders Commander?"

"Permission to tell the Captain exactly how I feel, sir?" "By all means Commander."
"Then yes sir I have a big problem with your orders. Captain.... with all due respect, I think we should take these men now. It means two less to worry about later. We could end up getting valuable information about the rest of the group.... such as their weaknesses, their fighting styles, etc. I feel it is irresponsible not to take advantage of an opportunity that has been virtually handed to us."

"Commander.... I don't want these two men.... I want the entire group. And I want the group with minimal injuries or deaths. At the moment, Adair and her people suspect nothing. But if they arrive at the dead end, and their men are missing, that would only serve to make them wary and suspicious. They would be on alert, ready for trouble, and that's something that I do not want! Commander you may feel it is irresponsible but you're not thinking ahead, and that is of utmost importance in an operation such as this. Our job is to detain the group for questioning, and to bring in Heller and the boy. It is not to injure or kill them. And although that is one way to achieve our goal... it is not *my* way. Is that understood?"

"Yes sir."
"Good. So I take it you will follow my orders in this regard?" "Yes sir. You are my superior officer, and so I will follow your orders." He paused a moment before continuing. "Unless of course you give me reason to disobey them by not following Citizen Reilly's orders as directed."

There was something about that last statement that O'Ryan found very disturbing. "Is that a threat Commander?"

"No sir. I would never threaten the Captain. It's just a statement of fact. May I be excused now sir?"

"Very well Commander. You're excused, but I want to be informed the moment the Eden Project crew sets up camp for the evening."

"Yes sir." With a quick salute, West departed. Alone now, O'Ryan sat back down and breathed a sigh of relief. There was no mistaking the underlying meaning behind West's words. West was becoming more and more difficult to work with as each day passed. O'Ryan now realized he had two problems..... one was the Eden Project, and the other was Commander Michael West.


Commander Michael West entered his quarters and immediately grabbed his VR gear. He felt the need to report these latest developments to Reilly. Within minutes he made contact. Reilly appeared pleased to see him. "Commander West! So nice to see you. Have you anything new to report? Good news I hope."
"Yes sir. You'll be happy to know that the Eden Project crew is near the dead end. We should have them soon. Two of their crew were spotted scouting ahead, but Captain O'Ryan, against my recommendations has decided to leave them be for now." He went on to explain the discussion he had with O'Ryan over this issue and others.

Reilly paced slowly in front of West with a thoughtful expression on his face as he listened to everything carefully. It looked like O'Ryan could possibly become a problem. O'Ryan would have to be monitored carefully, and Reilly knew just the man for the job.

Once West was finished, Reilly addressed him. "Good job Commander. The Council is very pleased with your efforts. You certainly have the potential to go far with us." Reilly could see the very pleased expression West was giving him. He realized that if he played his cards right, West could be a very important player in his plans, and could prove to be a very valuable asset. "I think that Captain O'Ryan is a very lucky man to have you at his side. I also think the good Captain is starting to lose sight of our goal, and he needs a man, such as yourself, to keep him on the right track." He paused in order to give emphasis to his next words. "Of course, if he should happen to lose his focus..... it's nice to know that the Council will be able to count on you to continue our work. We can count on you, can't we Commander?"

"Without a doubt, sir. I am behind you and the Council one hundred percent." West declared without hesitation.

"That's a good man. Now listen carefully. I want you to personally keep me informed of any developments. For now, just follow the good Captain's orders..... as long as those orders lead to the fulfillment of our goals. But I want to make this perfectly clear...... I want Adair and her people under our control..... *and* I especially want the boy and Dr. Heller. That boy is the key to everything on this planet, and Heller needs to be taught a lesson regarding loyalties." He saw a large smile slowly creep across the young Commander's face. "Now you better get back to your duties before you're missed."

"Yes sir, and I'll be sure to keep you up to date." The last words heard by Commander West as he exited VR were Reillys' as he shouted, "Remember, we're counting on you Commander!"

End of Chapter Three...... To be continued in Chapter Four........


LOYALTIES (4/11)
by Rosa M. Moran
Copyright July 1996

(Voice of Alonzo Solace)

We arrived at the end of the road about three hours ago, and we immediately began to set up camp. We would have arrived at New Pacifica today if it wasn't for the blocked path. We couldn't be more than a couple of kilometers away. Devon wanted to have a meeting once camp was set up to discuss our current situation. So now here we are gathering in the main tent waiting for everyone to arrive. As I look around the tent, I notice the once cheerful moods have disappeared. Everyone is just so tired, and to be so close to the end, and now to have another obstacle to overcome.... well it's just gets so depressing sometimes. It just seems like there is some great force out there working against you. But in those same faces, I also see commitment and determination to see this through to the end. So I have little doubt that this last obstacle will be surpassed, and that we will soon reach our new home.

"Okay, listen up everyone." Devon called out to get everyone's attention. "As I'm sure you've all noticed, we've got a new problem to solve." She looked around the room. "Anyone have any suggestions on what we should do?"

"Well, I'll tell you what.... there is no way that the Transrover will be able to maneuver through those trees." Danziger started saying.

"Why don't you try telling us something we don't already know." Morgan interrupted.

Danziger just ignored him as he continued. "But I think, after talking things over with Baines, Walman, and Solace..... we should be able to maneuver the Dune Rails and the ATV through the trees without too much trouble."

Morgan appeared ready to say something else, but Bess jabbed him in the ribs before he had a chance to open his mouth. He turned toward his wife with a look of indignation, but kept quiet none the less.

"Are you saying we should abandon the Transrover?" Devon asked with a look of disbelief.

"Are you crazy Adair? I have no intention of leaving it behind. I have a plan."

"Okay.... then lets hear it."
"I say we take the two Rails and the ATV and pile them up with everything they can carry. Then four of us start heading toward New Pacifica through these woods. When we get there, we unload, leave someone behind to watch the stuff, then head back for another load. With each load we bring an extra person. A few stand guard while others take a look around to see if there is any other materials or equipment around that we could use for constructing the town. Once we get most of the stuff to New Pacifica, we set up camp and from there we work towards getting the Transrover through the woods. With Zero's help and with the building equipment we've been lucky enough to collect along the way, we should be able to cut down enough trees to get the Transrover through. We can use some of those trees to start constructing a few of the building."

"Well that sounds like an excellent plan of action to me. Does anyone have any objections or concerns with Danziger's plan?" Devon took a quick scan of the room.

"I have a question." Walman suddenly called out. "Are we going to leave the Transrover unguarded until we come back for it? I'm talking about after we get most of our stuff and people over to New Pacifica."

"No.... we'll leave a guard, and Zero behind. I don't want to give the Grendlers or anyone else the opportunity to snatch it while we're away."

"Anything else?" Devon asked. Everyone was silent. "Okay, we'll start first thing tomorrow morning. Get some rest. We'll be busy tomorrow." Devon looked around and excitedly proclaimed as everyone started to slowly file out of the tent. "Tomorrow is the day my friends. The day we've all been waiting for.... it's the day we arrive at New Pacifica!"


New Pacifica
Captain's Office
2200 hour

Captain O'Ryan sat in his office quietly looking through some files when word finally came. Lieutenant Donaldson knocked on the door.

"Enter."
Donaldson entered and saluted his Captain. "Sir we've just received word that the Eden Project crew has reached the dead end, and has set up camp. The men are in position and are just awaiting your orders." "Do they appear to suspect anything?" "No sir. It appears that your plan is working." O'Ryan stood and turned to look out of the window in his office breathing a sigh of relief. He didn't want a confrontation. "Good..... tell the men to hold their positions for now. Get ahold of West and have him meet us outside in front of my office at 0330 hours."

"*Us* sir?"
O'Ryan turned back to face his young officer. "Yes Lieutenant, I want you to accompany us. We're going to join the troops out in the field. I want to be there when we take their camp at 0500."

"Are you expecting trouble Captain?" "No Lieutenant, but why take any chances. The Commander is a little to anxious and I don't want him to go too far. That's why I'm going. I trust you Lieutenant, that's why you're going."

"Thank you sir.... believe me I won't let you down." "I know you won't Lieutenant. You're dismissed." With a quick salute, Donaldson left. O'Ryan turned back and glanced out to watch the beauty of the full moons against the expansive clear skies. *Well the time of reckoning has finally arrived. May God help us all.*


Eden Project Advance Crew Camp Site
0200 hour

Danziger had just been relieved by Walman and was heading toward his tent when he caught sight of a figure sitting on a log in the center of camp. He decided to approach, and as he did, the figure of a beautiful woman came into view. He stood there watching as the moon light glistened off her dark hair. He watched as she stretched out her long beautiful legs. She looked so at peace as she stared up into the heavens. He often imagined what it would be like to run his hands through her hair, along her body, and down her legs. Seeing her now brought those images tumbling back, along with emotions he was finding harder and harder to control. He quietly walked up behind her.

"So Devon..... were the bed bugs biting tonight?" Danziger whispered in her ear.

Devon suddenly jerked away, startled by the unexpected yet pleasant presence behind her. "Geez John you scared me half to death. I didn't know you were here. What was that about 'bed bugs'?"

"It's an old Earth saying." John chuckled as he sat down next to Devon on the log. "So what are you doing up?"

"Couldn't sleep." She shuddered.
"You cold?" Danziger said as he looked at her with concern. "A little."
"Come here." He whispered as he gently encircled her in his arms and pulled her close so that she could feel the heat from his body. He felt the tension in her body start to leave as she snuggled close to his warmth. "So what's keeping you from a good nights sleep?"

Devon lifted her head from his shoulder to get a good look at him. "You mean besides my thoughts of you?" She replied with a twinkle in her eyes. She was surprised yet delighted to see him blush. He was actually speechless which was something new for John Danziger. She snuggled back into his shoulder. "I guess I'm just finding it hard to believe that we've finally arrived. I'm so excited. Our journey is over, or at least it will be tomorrow. We've finally reached New Pacifica."

"I know what you mean. I'm excited too, but New Pacifica isn't the end of our journey Devon. It's only the beginning of a new one. A journey to make this a better home for hundreds of syndrome families."

"We've still got a lot of work ahead of us." "Yes, but with all of us working as a team we'll be able to handle whatever work is needed." Danziger pointed out.

"And we are a team aren't we..... I've never felt such a sense of 'family' before. I feel blessed to be part of this group."

"Yeah, I know what you mean." He snuggled her closer for a second longer then gently pulled away. "Come on.... let's try and get some sleep. We've got a long day ahead of us tomorrow." He stood and reached for her hand to help her stand.

She took his hand and allowed herself to be pulled to her feet. Once standing, neither one let go of the others hand, as they stood there facing each other, staring into each others eyes for what seemed like hours but were merely seconds. In those few seconds a whirlwind of emotions passed between them. Without thinking, without conscious thought, Devon leaned into him and for the first time allowed those emotions to run free..... she kissed him. It was a tender kiss, a loving kiss, a kiss filled with promise of things to come. Then she gently pulled away and whispered, "You're right John.... it isn't the end of the journey..... it's just the beginning of a *new* one." And with those words she turned and walked toward her tent, leaving a very stunned yet pleased John Danziger standing with a dazed expression in the center of camp.


New Pacifica
In Front of the Captains' Office Building 0330 hour

Commander West patiently waited with Lieutenant Donaldson in the Dune Rail for Captain O'Ryan to arrive. He wasn't too thrilled with Donaldson or O'Ryan coming along. He wanted to take care of the Eden Project personally, and did not want O'Ryan interfering. But he also realized that now was not the right time or place to start questioning the Captain's orders. His time would come, and when it did he knew that the Council would reward him well for his efforts.

West quickly spoke up as the Captain appeared. "Sir... we really don't need you to accompany us. We can handle the situation without endangering our Captain."

"I'm not in any danger Commander. I want to be there for the capture of the group. I want to make sure that it all goes according to *my* plans."

West watched the Captain climb into the front seat of the Dune Rail. "I see. But I advise the Captain to watch his back for trouble. We wouldn't want to lose you over some insignificant avoidable incident."

Not really sure if there was a double meaning to his words, O'Ryan decided it was best not to continue this line of discussion any further. "Lets go Commander. We're wasting time." And with those words the Dune Rail departed.


In the Woods
Several Meters Outside of the Eden Project Camp 0430 hour

Sergeant Gary Morton stood to meet the Dune Rail as it pulled up to their location. Morton had short slightly graying black hair and mustache with black as coal eyes. He wasn't a very tall man, only standing about five feet four inches. Yet he was well built, and rather good looking for a man in his late forties. Many of which were spent in the service, for he was a career military man like his Captain. He had spent much of those years training the rookies at the academy, but had joined the Sentinel and its' crew once he found out his good friend Captain O'Ryan had been given command. He was glad yet surprised to see the Captain now as they pulled up. He quickly wiped the sweat from his brow, then ran a hand through his hair. He was tired and it was going to be a long night, after an already long day.

"Captain, it's good to see you sir, although I'm a bit surprised." Morton said as he saluted his superior officers.

"I wanted to oversee the next phase of this operation personally." O'Ryan responded as he and the others climbed out of the Dune Rail. "What's our status?"

"Everything and everyone is in position and ready to go. We're just waiting for the greenlight to go."

"Excellent! Tell the men to move in at exactly 0500 hours." "Yes sir." He responded then quickly turned to relay the message. "And Gary....." Morton paused and turned back toward the Captain. "I want it to be a swift and smooth strike, with little or no injuries if possible. Understood?"
"No problem Captain. I trust the men to perform their duties as directed. This operation will come off without a hitch." Morton then turned and walked away.

As O'Ryan watched Morton go off to deliver the orders, he whispered, "I hope so Sergeant...... for all of our sakes...... I really hope so."

End of Chapter Four.......... To be continued in Chapter Five...........


LOYALTIES (5/11)
by Rosa M. Moran
Copyright July 1996

Eden Project Camp Site
0500 hour

It was a beautiful evening on G889. The moons were full, the sky was clear, and the temperature was cool. Just right for a nice restful sleep. So nice in fact that Walman had begun to doze off and did not hear nor see the approaching figures that began to close in until it was much too late. Before Walman had a chance to react or warn anyone, flood lights lit the entire camp and fully armed men came rushing in from the surrounding forest like a tidal wave of destruction. Crates were turned over, equipment smashed, and vehicles were seized. The men burst through tents literally dragging the sleeping Eden Project Crew out of their cots, shoving them ruffly as they were caroled in the center of camp.

"What the *hell* is going on?" Morgan cried out as he and Bess were shoved in with the rest of the group. He immediately shut up when he caught a glimpse of the large number of armed troops that surrounded them.

"I don't know Morgan, but I'm going to find out." Devon responded as she motioned for Yale to watch over Uly. She then walked over to the nearest soldier. "I demand to speak with whoever is in charge!"

"Shut up and stay with the others!" The soldier screamed as he shoved her back so hard that she fell. Danziger wanted to slug the soldier but was restrained by Baines and Walman.

Suddenly a shout came from the wooded area in front of them. "Corporal! That is no way to treat a lady!"
The Corporal suddenly stood at attention as Sergeant Morton strolled over to the group. "Sorry sir. It won't happen again."

"It better not." Turning his attention from the Corporal to Devon. "I'm truly sorry for the Corporal's ruff treatment of you Ms. Adair."

Devon eyed the Sergeant suspiciously as she stood before him. "Apology accepted Sergeant. Now do you mind telling us the meaning of this outrage."

"Take it easy Ms. Adair. You'll find out all you need to know once the Captain gets here."

"So when is the Captain going to get here?" Devon asked with irritation. "I'm here now."
Devon quickly looked toward the shadows behind Morton where two figures suddenly appeared. "Derrick?"

"Hello Devon." O'Ryan said as he came out of the shadows to stand before her. "Long time no see. I wish it could have been under more pleasant circumstances."

"I wish I could say the same. I wasn't expecting this." "Oh come on Devon! Did you really believe that the Council would let you get away so easily? You have no idea how badly they want this planet, and they are willing to do whatever it takes to get it."

"So they sent you after us." It was more of a statement than a question. Devon was hoping to get more information out of O'Ryan. They were in quicksand, and sinking fast. The more she knew about their present situation the better their chances were in finding a way out of it.

"That's right. Blalock himself sent my team after you. We were to make contact with Dr. Heller or Citizen Reilly for our orders, but we couldn't get ahold of the doctor. Instead we made contact with Reilly. He told us everything that's happened, and gave us our orders. We set up our base camp at New Pacifica while we waited for you to fall into our trap. You'd be really proud of the way the town is shaping up, Devon. We worked hard to set this whole thing up."

"Well you did a nice job Derrick. We suspected nothing." Devon knew the answer but she had to ask anyway. "What exactly are your orders? What are you planning to do to us?"

"We're not heartless Devon. You and your group can join us at New Pacifica and live a perfectly happy life, after we've had a chance to question all of you. All we ask for joining with us is that you follow Council rules and directives..... *and* we want Dr. Heller and your son to come with us now."

"You expect us to just hand over Julia and my son, live happily ever after under Council domination, and just forget everything they've done to us!" Devon shouted as she stepped closer to O'Ryan. "Well you can forget it. It's not going to happen."
"I'm afraid you don't really have a choice in the matter Devon. *I* don't have a choice."

"We all have choices Derrick. Some are harder to make than orders. The hard part is living with the choices we each have to make. Can you live with this choice?"

"Damn it Devon! Don't make this any harder than it already is. I have been given specific orders by Reilly to take the doctor and your son and I intend to follow those orders."

"Then you're more stupid than I thought mister." Danziger interrupted. O'Ryan turned his angry gaze over to Danziger. "You must be Danziger. Aren't you going to introduce me Devon?" Devon wearily glanced from Danziger to O'Ryan then back again. "John Danziger meet Captain Derrick O'Ryan. Derrick..... John Danziger. Happy now?"

"Thank you." O'Ryan replied sarcastically. "Now Mr. Danziger why do you think I'm a stupid man? It seems to me that I hold all the cards."

A big grin appeared on Danziger's face. "Because you've been following the orders of a computer."

"Devon, what the hell is he talking about?" "Reilly..... he's not human. He's a computer generated holographic image projected by a computer that is currently in orbit known as Eve." Devon went on to explain their encounters with Eve and how they came to find out about Reilly. As Devon relayed the story she saw O'Ryan's expression change from a look of disbelief and doubt to a look of surprise and shock.

As Devon finished, O'Ryan stood there flabbergasted. He had followed many orders from all sorts of men in his lifetime but never had he followed the orders of a computer. At least not until now, and at the moment he wasn't sure how to react to this new information.

Sensing the Captain's uneasiness, West quickly stepped forward. "Sir, may I remind the Captain that regardless of whether this Reilly is really a computer generated image or not.... and I'm not so sure we should believe Ms. Adair and her group.... but regardless, we were given specific instructions to follow Citizen Reilly's orders to the letter. It is our duty to follow those orders as directed."

O'Ryan turned angrily toward his first officer. "Commander, I do not need *you* or anyone else to remind me of my duties! I've been following orders and fulfilling my duties and responsibilities long before you were a twinkle in your parents eyes!"

West's embarrassment was obvious. He was not used to nor did he appreciate getting slapped down in front of the troops. There was going to be hell to pay, and if he had his way, it would be his Captain that paid. All he had to do was be patient. One of these days the Captain was going to screw up and he was going to make sure he was around to pick up the pieces.

"I apologize sir. I did not mean to imply that you didn't know what your duties were. I was merely reminding the Captain of Mr. Blalock's orders."

"Thank you Commander." O'Ryan turned back toward Devon with a frown. "Devon I'd like you to meet my first officer.... Commander Michael West. And I'm afraid the Commander is correct. Regardless of what Reilly is..... we do have our orders, and at the moment that means taking Dr. Heller and your son."

"Why Derrick?" Devon pleaded.
"Look Devon. No one is going to hurt your son. We brought some doctors with us, and all they want to do is run a few tests. That's all. As for Dr. Heller, I have orders to bring her in for disciplinary hearings."

"As simple as that, is it? Who told you that..... Reilly? Don't you believe him Derrick! The Council always has other ideas and motives up their sleeves."

"I'm sorry but I have to follow my orders." "Well we're sorry too because you can't have them!" This time it was Alonzo who shouted in defiance.

O'Ryan suddenly realized that this wasn't going to be easy. The Eden Project crew was not going to make it easy for him. He turned toward Commander West and gave him the signal to proceed. A large grin came across West's face. O'Ryan knew that West was going to enjoy this. Maybe too much.

"Listen here people..... either Dr. Heller and the boy come with us now, or we start shooting. For every five minutes you delay someone will die." West stated and to emphasis his point had several of the men gather closer and power up their weapons ready to shoot.

"Wait! I'll go with you. Don't hurt anyone." Julia shouted and started to move toward the Commander.

"No Julia! I won't let them take you!" Alonzo cried out as he grabbed her arm. "They're bluffing!"

Pointing toward the Corporal standing nearest to Alonzo, West said, "Corporal make sure the first to die is the pilot."

"No dammit!! I said I'd go!!" Julia screamed as she pulled out of Alonzo's grasp. She turned toward him. "Don't worry 'Lonz everything will work itself out. You'll see. But I have to go or they'll kill you and the others and I just can't handle that. I won't let them hurt any of you." She gently cupped his face and kissed him, whispering, "I love you." Then Julia walked over to Devon. "Devon?"

"I can't do it Julia. I can't let them take Uly." "Devon, if you don't they'll eventually kill all of you. What good will you be to Uly if you're dead?" Leaning in closer so that the soldiers couldn't hear the rest, she continued. "Devon, I'll do what I can to protect him, but they won't hurt him.... not at first. I think that Reilly really wants to perform some tests first. That will give you and the others the opportunity to try and rescue him. I can't think of any other way out of this at the moment."

Devon nodded with tears in her eyes then looked at O'Ryan. "Derrick you promise that Ulysses won't be harmed?"

"I promise Devon."
Devon knelt down in front of Uly. "Uly, I want you to go with Julia and these men. They won't hurt you, but if you don't go they might hurt us. Do you understand?"

Uly nodded then gave his mom a big hug. "Don't worry mom everything will be alright. You'll see."

Devon stood and nodded toward Julia who proceeded to take Uly's hand and walk toward the Captain and the Commander.

The Captain took Uly by the hand then lifted him into the nearby Dune Rail. "Upsee daisy. There you go. My you've grown into a fine young man Ulysses. The Lieutenant here is going to take you to New Pacifica. Now you do what he tells you okay?" Uly nodded. "Good boy. I'll see you soon." And with a nod from the Captain, Lieutenant Donaldson took off.

O'Ryan turned around in time to see West putting shackles onto Julia's wrists and shove her ruffly toward another Dune Rail for her trip back to New Pacifica. He could tell that Solace was close to busting loose with anger at the treatment that Julia was getting, which he knew would only succeed in getting him killed. So he decided he had better intervene before things escalated. "Take it easy Commander. I don't want anyone to get needlessly injured." West ignored the Captain as he bent over and placed shackles on her ankles. "Commander are those really necessary. She gave herself up on her own."

"Captain she is our prisoner, and as such should be treated accordingly." West responded after shoving her inside the Rail. O'Ryan angrily grabbed West's arm before he climbed in for the return trip. "Commander I don't give a damn whether she's a prisoner or not! You *will* treat her with respect! Understood?" West gave him a barely perceptible nod. "Good! Now take off her shackles immediately.... then you may take her back to camp." West reluctantly followed the orders, while O'Ryan went back to speak with Sergeant Morton and Devon.

Addressing Morton first. "Sergeant I want these people kept under constant surveillance. They may roam free but only within the confines of this camp until further notice."

"Yes sir."
O'Ryan turned toward Devon. "I'm afraid that's the best I can do for you at the moment Devon." He glance over at West who had just finished taking Julia's shackles off. "I better go with Commander West to make sure no other incidents crop up. We'll talk again soon.... try not to cause my men too much trouble. I'd hate to have to take stronger measures." And with those words he joined West and Julia for the trip back to New Pacifica.

As the Rail headed away from the Eden Project crew, O'Ryan glanced back. He saw their shocked faces, along with the looks of distress on the faces of Devon and Solace. He saw Danziger go over to Devon and place his arm around her trying to offer some sort of comfort. He turned back around in disgust with himself and this whole assignment. *Sometimes I wonder if this job is worth all of the heartache it causes. Can control of this planet be worth the suffering we've caused? I find myself rapidly heading toward a crossroads..... with two paths leading in totally different directions. Will I be able to make the choice that needs to be made? As Devon said, will I be able to live with the choice that I make?* He glanced at West. *It would appear that I may have to make that choice sooner than I'd like...... I only pray it's the right choice.*

End of Chapter Five...... To be continued in Chapter Six.......


LOYALTIES (6/11)
by Rosa M. Moran
Copyright July 1996

New Pacifica
Captain O'Ryan's Office
0800 hour, Same Day

O'Ryan quickly entered his office followed closely by his first officer. As he entered, he found his second officer Lieutenant Donaldson hurriedly trying to raise Reilly on the monitor. It had been a long evening, and they had just finish getting everyone situated. It was now time to contact Citizen Reilly to update him on the latest developments, and to await further orders.

Donaldson saw the Captain rush in. "We've just made contact sir. Reilly should be appearing in a second."

At that very moment Reilly's face appeared on the monitor. "Ahhh.... Captain O'Ryan, Commander West..... how nice to see the two of you. I take it you have some important news to report?"

*Well here goes nothing.* "The Eden Project Advance Crew has been detained for questioning as ordered. We've apprehended Dr. Julia Heller and are charging her with several counts of treason against the Council. We've also taken the boy Ulysses Adair and delivered him to the medical facility for an exam and tests." O'Ryan delivered smoothly.

"Any injuries or casualties?"
"None." O'Ryan stated proudly.
A huge grin appeared on Reilly's face. "Excellent Captain. I'm very impressed, as is the Council. You and your men are to be commended for your fine efforts."

"Thank you sir. I'm just grateful that everything went according to plan." Reilly's grin faded. "I want you to inform Dr. Conners and his medical team to proceed with the exam and tests as soon as possible. I want to know what the boy's connection is to the planet. How extensive is that connection, and whether it can be obtained without involving the Terrians. I do not want control of this planet to be dependent on the Terrians. Dr. Heller had started to work on this problem before her unfortunate turn in loyalties. Perhaps you can obtain some useful information from her." "Sir, I'm sure that Dr. Heller would never volunteer any such information." O'Ryan stated.

"I realize that Captain. That's why I am also authorizing you to use whatever mean are necessary to obtain all of the information that Dr. Heller has managed to gather on the boy, and the Terrians physiology."

"Sir, I would be honored if the Council would allow me the privilege of supervising the effort of obtaining the information from Dr. Heller." West suddenly suggested.

O'Ryan angrily glanced at West. "That won't be necessary Commander, I'm sure...."

"No Captain..... I like that idea. I think that Commander West would be perfect for the job." Reilly interrupted. "Commander..... I want you to make sure that the good doctor realizes the error of her ways. I want her to regret ever having turned against the Council."

"Sir, I was under the impression that she wasn't to be harmed. That she was to be returned to the stations and was to stand trial for her crime of treason against the Council.... as sort of an example to any others that may think of betraying the Council." O'Ryan quickly stated.

"She *will* be returned to the stations Captain. But not until *I'm* finished with her, and have gotten everything I need from her. It that understood?" Reilly angrily replied.

"Yes sir."
"Good.... then I suggest you get started. Keep me appraised of the results with the boy, and of any information you obtain from the good doctor." And with those words Reilly disappeared.

West turned toward O'Ryan. "I better go tell Dr. Conners and his medical team to get started."

O'Ryan turned to face West. "No..... I want the Lieutenant here to take care of the that. You concentrate on getting what you need from Dr. Heller."

"Yes sir. I'll get on it right away." "Very well. Lieutenant I need to have a word with you. You're dismissed Commander."

As Commander West started to exit, O'Ryan called to him. "Oh and one more thing Commander..... I do not want any unnecessary harm to come to the doctor. Understood?"

"Yes sir. Nothing *unnecessary* will happen." West replied before walking out.

Captain O'Ryan stood there just staring after West's retreating form, wondering what in the world he had in store for the pretty doctor. He wasn't comfortable with West taking over this responsibility, but at the moment he had no choice but to follow orders. There were other more pressing matters to deal with.

He was shaken from his private thoughts by Donaldson. "Captain? You wanted to speak with me?"

O'Ryan turned toward his second officer. "Yes I did. Listen Ryan, I want you to make sure that West stays away from the boy. I don't trust him like I do you. I promised Adair that Uly would not be harmed and I intend to keep that promise. So I'm putting you in charge of making sure he stays out of harms way, and among other things it means keeping him away from West. I only wish I could offer Dr. Heller the same kind of protection.... but in order to keep Uly safe, someone had to be sacrificed and unfortunately it had to be Heller."

"I understand sir. To be honest I don't trust West either. He's caused nothing but trouble since he was dropped into our laps. You can count on me to help you in any way possible."

"Thanks Ryan, I knew I could count on you." O'Ryan replied with a smile. "Sir, I did have a question though." "Shoot...."
"What about Reilly? Do you think he's a computer generated holographic image like Ms. Adair said, or do you think they were fooling with us?"

"Mmmm.... That's a good question." Walking around his desk to pear out the window, O'Ryan continued. "I'll be honest with you Lieutenant..... I've known Devon a long time. She and I got to know each other through my good friend Commander Brodrick O'Neil. I'd like to think that we became friends. I've never known her to lie to me before, and I seriously don't think she'd start now." He turned back around to look at Donaldson. "So yes, I guess I'd have to say I do believe her."

"So what are you going to do? Do you plan to continue to follow this... this computer's orders?"

"I'm not sure what I'm going to do Lieutenant. For the moment I plan to keep things as they are.... but that may change. Ryan, I need to know I can count on you to support whatever decision I do make."

Donaldson didn't respond to him right away. His mind suddenly drifted back to an incident that happened almost a lifetime ago. They were in the L7 system. The Sentinel, one of the Councils newest ships, and her young crew of which Donaldson was a new member of, had been dispatched to planet L729 in an attempt to squelch a rebellion between the local mining colony and the Council appointed management staff. Tensions had been high, and the introduction of military personnel certainly didn't help matters. O'Ryan tried to prevent things from escalating, but for all of his efforts, things still went from bad to worse. Fighting broke out and there were many casualties on both sides. O'Ryan did all he could think of to keep the casualties low, as well as stop the fighting. But all hell broke loose and O'Ryan was determined to do what he could to protect his men first and think of the consequences later.... that is until he spotted some movement under a pile of rubble near the battle front. With a little help from Donaldson and others, O'Ryan managed to uncover the source of the movement and was shocked to find the most beautiful little girl he had ever seen. The young girl looked to be no more than four or five years old and it was obvious that she was seriously injured. Both O'Ryan and Donaldson's hearts went out to the little girl, but it was O'Ryan who took the initiative. Without a moments hesitation O'Ryan picked up the little girl and against all military regulations carried her to the shuttle to take her to the better equipped medical facilities located on the Sentinel. It was at that moment Donaldson realized what a special man his Captain was. But is wasn't until he saw his Captain crying over the little girls lifeless body, after all of the efforts to save her had failed, that his admiration and respect for him had swelled to new heights. From that day forward, O'Ryan threw himself at finding the solution to the dispute. He was determined not to let another child die a senseless death. After arranging a cease fire, and days of deliberation, a settlement was reached that benefited all parties. Donaldson had been very proud of his Captain.... proud and very honored to be working under his command. By settling this dispute so quickly, O'Ryan had saved many lives, possibly even Donaldson's life and he was grateful for that. He owed the Captain a lot.... most of all his trust and loyalty.

Donaldson quickly refocused his thoughts as he realized that O'Ryan had been waiting for a response. "You can sir. You can trust me. Personally I'm not too thrilled about following a computers orders, nor am I thrilled about some of the orders it's given."

"Yeah, I know what you mean. Listen.... see if you can get a feeling on what the men are thinking about all of this. Let me know if you think they'd be willing to support me if I should decided to disobey one of Reilly's orders. I need to know if they'd follow me or West."

"I'll do what I can sir. Is there anything else?" "No.... get going, and thanks Ryan." "You're welcome sir."
As Donaldson walked out, O'Ryan turned to look out the window, lost in his own thoughts. *The time is fast approaching when a decision will have to be made..... what am I going to do? Lord help me.... what am I going to do?*


Eden Project Camp Site
Main Tent
0800 hour

(Voice of Alonzo Solace)

We've been sitting here in this tent, like lost sheep, ever since Uly and Julia were taken from us just a couple of hours ago. No one has said a word. No one has come up with an idea or plan of action. We've barely moved. We've barely breathed. The events of the last few hours are still fresh in our minds. The shock of it all still plainly evident. Yet two peoples lives will depend on what we do next. I just pray we'll be up for the task.

Alonzo walked over to where Danziger and Adair were sitting. "So what are we going to do?"

Devon looked up at Alonzo. "What do you mean?" "I mean *what are we going to do*...... We can't just sit here. We need to do something."

"What exactly do you think we should do Solace. They took our weapons. They took our vehicles. We've got nothing useful to fight back with." Danziger responded with exasperation.
"So are we just going to sit here and do nothing while they're doing God knows what to Julia and Uly?"

"Could the Terrians help us?" Magus quietly spoke up. Devon's eyes lit up for a moment. "Yes Alonzo, could they?" "I don't know. I haven't asked them, but they are usually reluctant to get involved in our problems."

"Perhaps you should stress the fact that these men could pose problems for them. That they could be in danger. That Ulysses, who is much like themselves, could be in danger." Yale suggested.

"Hmmm...... I don't know....." Alonzo replied hesitantly. "Try Alonzo..... it couldn't hurt to ask, and if they are willing to help then we can come up with a plan to work around them." Devon pleaded.

"Alright, I'll give it a shot. What's the plan going to be if they say no?" "We'll worry about that when it happens, but I'm going to think positively, and believe they'll say yes. So that being said..... lets do a little brainstorming guys and try to come up with a plan of action." Devon looked around at the others. "Anything?"

"Well.... if the Terrians are willing to take care of the men at New Pacifica, then that will just leave the men surrounding us here." Alonzo said.

"I counted about 15 men that were left to watch over us." Walman announced. "I saw them take our weapons and stack them over by a Dune Rail on the North end of camp." Baines added.

"Yeah, but they are guarding it well." Walman pointed out. "But if we can come up with some sort of diversion on the other side of camp, then a couple of us could go after the weapons. With enough weapons and a little surprise on our part, we should be able to handle a couple of dozen men." Danziger suggested.

"That sounds like an excellent idea John. I think I'm also going to try and talk to Captain O'Ryan. Derrick and I have known each other for years. I don't think he really wants to do this. Maybe I can convince him to stop this madness before anyone gets hurt." Devon said.

"You think you'll be able to get through to him?" Danziger asked. "I don't know but it couldn't hurt to try." She looked at Danziger. "What kind of distraction did you have in mind?"

A sly grin appeared on Danziger's face. "Actually I was thinking of two separate distractions. One diversion will be up to Morgan over there."

"What?!"
"You heard me Martin. We need you to use that Level 4 status of yours to impress upon a few of those soldiers that you deserve better accommodations, and to insist that you be able to talk to the head honcho. I mean after all, technically you're still working for the Council.... right."

"But... but....." Morgan stuttered.
"Why that's an excellent idea. Isn't it sweetheart?" Bess quickly stated. Morgan looked at Bess as if she'd gone crazy or something. But all he saw was that beautiful smile of hers, and he knew he wasn't going to win this one. "Yeah... really great." He grumbled. Turning back toward Danziger, he asked, "So what's this other *great* diversion you have planned?"

"A good old fashion fist fight..... and for that I need two volunteers....." He looked around at the faces surrounding him. "I'll volunteer." Walman spoke up.
"Me too." Baines said.
"Great! Then I'll take Alonzo, and Magus with me. We'll sneak out during all of the commotion, and grab as many weapons as we can carry. We'll just have to hope they don't notice the missing weapons for a while."

"I can also provide a little distraction by asking Sergeant Morton to meet with me at about the same time, so that I can request a meeting with Derrick."

"Good thinking Adair."
"What do you want the rest of us to do?" Denner suddenly spoke up. "Once the fight starts, I want the rest of you to gather around..... see what the commotion is all about, etc. But no one is to break up the fight. Let those military jerks take care of that." "Okay so when do we start?" Alonzo asked. "We start once you can convince the diggers to help us out. Without their help, we won't be able to pull any of this off. Once it's established that they'll help us, then Martin you start annoying a few of the guards. Then a few minutes later, Devon you grab that Sergeants attention. Then a few minutes after that, Baines, you and Walman start fighting..... maybe engage a few of the soldiers in your fight too. Hopefully by the time they're able to reestablish some form of order, we'll have gotten some of the weapons and be able to take them by surprise."

"Well then what are we waiting for? I'll go start and see if I can reach the local Terrians." He got up to leave for his tent. "Wish me luck. I think I'm going to need all the luck we have to convince the Terrians to help us." And with those words he walked out leaving behind a small group of friends praying silently. They prayed that everything would work out, and that they would all soon be together safe and sound in their new home.

End of Chapter Six....... To be continued in Chapter Seven.......

(Okay guys..... you've just reached past the half way point...... what do you think so far? Are you guys enjoying the story?..... Let me know. --- Rosa)


LOYALTIES (7/11)
by Rosa M. Moran
Copyright July 1996

New Pacifica
Medical and Research Facility
1300 hour

Captain Derrick O'Ryan strode purposefully into the medical center. After taking a quick look in Dr. Conners office to confirm that he wasn't there, he grabbed the first person he saw in a lab coat. "Excuse me, but where would I find Dr. Conners?"

"He and Lieutenant Donaldson are with the boy." The young lab tech pointed down the hall. "Down the hall last door on the left."

"Thank you." O'Ryan headed in the direction he was given. Within seconds he had reached the room where he could hear Dr. Conners and Donaldson arguing over something. He quietly entered the room, and overheard Dr. Conners last statement.

"Lieutenant..... please.... you really are not needed here. We can handle the young Mr. Adair without your help."

Dr. Benjamin Conners at first glance did not appear to be a very imposing man. He stood just a little over five feet, and was in his late sixties with gray hair. Yet his piercing black eyes, and his authoritative stance and demeanor said otherwise. He had been a doctor for many years. He wasn't a chromo-tilt. He had struggled for his degree the hard way, and was now a well known and respected physician in his field. Why he had chosen to come on this trip was beyond O'Ryan's comprehension. Perhaps he didn't have a choice, with the Council one never knows. Whatever the case, he was here now, and had his second officer squirming uncomfortably under this gaze. Grinning to himself with amusement, O'Ryan decided to save the poor Lieutenant before Conners ate him alive. Clearing his throat to announce his presence, O'Ryan declared, "I'm afraid Lieutenant Donaldson's presence is needed and wanted at my request Dr. Conners. He is not to get in your way, but I insist that he observe all procedures done on Ulysses." He looked over at Uly who sat quietly observing the whole conversation. *What a good boy he is.* "How are you doing Uly?"

"Fine sir."
"Have they been treating you alright?" Uly nodded. "Good.... well you let me know if you need anything, okay." Again Uly nodded. Then turning back toward Dr. Conners, O'Ryan said, "Doctor if you don't mind I'd like to have a private word with you. Donaldson can stay with Uly."

"Certainly Captain.... if you'll just follow me to my office, we can talk there."

As they started to walk out, Uly called out. "Mr. O'Ryan....." O'Ryan stopped and turned toward Uly. "When can I go back to my mom?"

A soft smile played across O'Ryan's lips. "Soon Uly.... I promise." Then he turned and followed the doctor to his office.


New Pacifica
Prison Facility
Interrogation Room
Same time

Dr. Julia Heller sat alone in the middle of a large room. She had her hands tied behind her back in a chair which was the only piece of furniture in the room. In front of her was a huge projection screen. To her right was the only doorway leading into the room. To her left was a blank wall with a tiny bared window high on the wall near the ceiling. Behind her was another blank wall with various touch panels. She wasn't sure what was hidden behind the panels but she was afraid she'd find out soon enough. Above her the ceiling appeared to have various types of spotlights, one of which was at the moment shining over her. She wasn't sure what the purpose of it was, but it reminded her of an old gangster movie where the cops were grilling a gangster under the hot glare of a spotlight. The only thing she was really sure about was that she was tired, hungry, and thirsty. She'd been dragged from her cell by a couple of military goons and placed in this room, but that was hours ago, and since then there had been no contact with anyone. At the moment a hundred different questions were running through her mind..... what were they doing to Uly..... were the others okay.... was Alonzo safe.... what were they planning to do to her. She wouldn't have long to wait to get an answer to her last question because at that very moment the door to the room opened and in strolled Commander West. He walked right up to her and stood there looking at her with an expression that sent shivers down her spine. Suddenly her thoughts turned toward Uly, Alonzo and the others, and Reilly's words suddenly came back to her..... "Don't be so foolish as to ignore fate. Neither yours or his." Perhaps this was her and Uly's fate. She knew that she was going to have to deal with the Council sooner or later, and now was the time of reckoning. She just hoped that fate hadn't dealt them a bad hand. Yet even so, regardless of what happened..... she was determined to protect her friends even at the cost of her own life. She would not betray their trust.... never again..... no matter what. She only prayed she had the strength to live up to those words.

"Good afternoon Dr. Heller. Sorry to have kept you waiting. I do hope you're comfortable."

"Oh sure, I always find sitting in a room tied to a chair under the glare of a spotlight to be very comfortable."

His eyes were cold, and his expression hardened. "I can see that you've kept your sense of humor about all of this. But, I think we need to get a few things straight. There are a few simple rules that you need to follow, and if you follow them, then everything is going to be just fine..... but if you don't follow them..... well lets just say that things could get difficult for you. Understand?"

"Perfectly..... so what are these *rules*." She shot back sarcastically. "Rule number one..... you will speak only when spoken to. Rule number two..... I do not want any smart ass remarks from you. Rule number three.... when asked a question you will give a straight forward honest answer, no beating around the bush. Rule number four..... there will be no angry outburst from you. Rule number five.... you will treat all those within this military unit, as well as the medical personnel, with respect by responding with 'sir' or 'madam'. Well that just about covers the rules. Did you understand them?"

"Yes."
"Yes what?" He repeated.
"Yes.... I understand. You satisfied now." She spit out angrily. West quickly swung his arm and slapped her hard across the face. "That was against the rules. The proper response should have been 'Yes sir, I understand.' So now why don't we try that again. Did you understand the rules?"

"Yes."
"Yes what?" He repeated angrily.
"Yes, I understand your damn rules!" West slapped her again with even more force. "You're determined to make this difficult aren't you? They're just five simple little rules that I'm asking you to follow. Is that so difficult?"

She could taste the blood from the broken lip she'd received as a result of his blows. "No *sir*."

"Good. I see that you now understand. So why don't we get started. The sooner you tell us what we need to know the sooner this will be over."

"And what exactly will happen when this is over?" He slapped her again. "You will speak only when spoken to!" He paused for a second before continuing. "But since you asked, when we're finished with you, you will be returned to the stations for further interrogation and to stand trial for treason. And speaking of which...... how long had you been planning this little betrayal of yours? How long ago did your loyalties change?"

She flashed West a look of anger.... defiance. "I was loyal to the Council until the Council started playing with people's lives.... with *my* life. You're working for the wrong side Commander. The Council doesn't care about you or anyone else. All they care about is themselves.... their control..... their power.... their glory.... and if we don't serve *them* then we can just go to hell."

"You have some rather strong views Doctor, considering you owe everything you are to the Council. They made you. Do loyalties mean nothing to you?"

West's words hit a cord within Julia. She could suddenly hear the words Alonzo spoke to her back on the day he started to walk on his healed leg..... "Nobody made you Julia, no matter what they did to your genes. You should take credit for who you are."..... She suddenly realized how true those words really were. "The Council may have screwed around with my genes..... but they didn't make me into who I am now. I have feelings and emotions just like everyone else. I am not an unfeeling machine like the ZEDs. And as for loyalties..... they are earned like trust, they are not forced upon you. The Eden Project people *earned* my loyalty, just as I've earned theirs. The Council didn't earn my trust or loyalty.... they just assumed that I'd follow blindly." She paused for a moment as a far off look entered her eyes. "Funny thing is that for a while I did. For the longest time I just concentrated on being a doctor, and just turned my head at all of the suffering the Council was causing all around me. But that was the Council's mistake you know.... making me a doctor, because before long I did start to notice, specially the way that the Council was handling the situation with the syndrome children. So I decided to help Dr. Vasquez and his efforts to find a cure. Then I got involved in the Eden Project. At first I was so confused. I was torn between my loyalties to the Council and to the Eden Project. Then there was the bomb, the crash, and Reilly's deceit and lies. Believe me it wasn't hard to turn away from the Council. They made my decision easy for me."

"That was a very interesting speech Doctor. But did it ever occur to you that everything that Council does and is doing is for the benefit of the majority of those on the stations? Sometimes sacrifices must be made for the good of the many even if it goes against your precious principles. We were made to serve the Council for the greater good, not to question them."

"We?" Julia cried out in shock.
"Yes Doctor.... you're not the only chromo-tilt on this planet. Does that surprise you?" He grinned at her surprised expression. "I guess it does.... only I was made to be a leader of men..... a strategist..... along with other typical military officer traits." He leaned in closer. "And we were taught to be faithful to the Council..... teachings which obviously went in one ear and out the other in your case."

"Go to hell!"
With an angry grunt, he slapped her across the face, with such force that it almost knocked her and the chair over. "Well I think it's time we got down to business. But first I'm going to get a quick bite to eat. That should give you enough time to think about what you're planning to say." He leaned in close again. "I want to make this perfectly clear..... we will get the answers we want from you, one way or another. Now you can make this easy or you can make this difficult.... the decision is up to you." And with those words he walked out leaving her once again alone in the room.... tired and hungry, praying this would all end soon.


New Pacifica
Medical and Research Facility
Dr. Conner's Office

Dr. Conners entered his office, followed closely by Captain O'Ryan, then went around his desk and sat down, motioning for the Captain to do likewise. "Please Captain have a seat..... make yourself comfortable." "Thank you." O'Ryan said as he took a seat. "Now what can I do for you?"
"I'd like to discuss Ulysses Adair. Specifically the tests that you plan to run on him."

"Mmmm.... I'd like to help you Captain... really.... but I'm afraid that the tests are confidential. I really can't discuss the nature of them."

"Under whose authority?"
"Citizen Reilly's authority."
"Do you mean to tell me he has been in contact with you personally?" "Why yes... me and my staff. I was under the impression that you knew that."

O'Ryan was fuming. *Why that conniving little computer piece of ....... Damn it to hell!*
"I take it from the expression on your face that you didn't know." "No I didn't..... I was under the impression that all communications from Reilly were being processed through my office. I also thought you already had a set of test planned even before we had Ulysses."

"We did. Then Citizen Reilly contacted us, and not only rearranged some of the test, but also assigned new ones, and eliminated others. He said it was what the Council wanted, and that he had already run it by you."

*What the hell is that machine up to?* "Well I'm afraid that he lied. I never heard anything about these changes. Will any of these tests hurt the boy in any way?"

"Not as far as I know..... at least not the first few." Looking straight into Dr. Conners eyes, he very seriously stated, "Listen to me very carefully Doctor. I promised Devon Adair that no harm would come to her boy, and I intend to keep that promise. If even one hair on his head is harmed in *any* way, you will have to deal with me."

"Is that a threat Captain?" Dr. Conners asked with a slight annoyance. "No Doctor.... as my first officer so delicately put it to me not too long ago.... it's a statement of fact. Good day Doctor." He quickly rose to his feet and left the office. Leaving Dr. Conners to contemplate O'Ryan's words, and his next actions *very* carefully.

End of Chapter Seven...... To be continued in Chapter Eight........


LOYALTIES (8/11)
by Rosa M. Moran
Copyright July 1996

Eden Project Advance Crew Camp
Alonzo's and Julia's Tent
1500 hour

Alonzo was dreaming.... not the ordinary dreams of a man at peace, but the restless dreams of a man with a desperate need and desire. "Please..... help me. Help us..... Please."

They came and encircled him. They could feel his pain, sense his need. The sense was strong, fierce. It was unlike anything this tribe has ever felt in the past. They sought to understand.

"Please.... we need your help. There are men in a camp not far. They are bad men. We need your help to defeat them."

//We can not interfere in your affairs.// "We've helped others like you..... can you not help us in return?" //We know of your help. All is as it should be. There is no further debt to pay.//

"Then we will owe you a favor..... anything. We will do anything for your help."

//We can not interfere in your affairs.// Alonzo was suddenly thrown off the dream plane. After trying several times to get the Terrians to listen, he gave up and awoke with a sick feeling in his stomach. *This isn't going to be as easy as I thought it would be.* He got up to report his progress to the others, and found most of them sitting in the main tent. Devon spotted Alonzo and motioned for him to join them.

"Alonzo.... any luck?" Devon anxiously asked. "That's what I came to report. Sorry Devon, but so far they are being pretty stubborn in their beliefs that they shouldn't interfere."

"You think you'll be able to get the diggers to change their minds?" Danziger asked.

"I don't know, but I know I have to keep trying or all of our plans are for nothing." He paused for a moment before continuing. "It's just so frustrating sometimes. Everytime I go under and try to explain why we need their help, they just tell me they can't interfere and they push me back out. I haven't come up with an argument yet that they're willing to listen to." He frustratedly ran a hand through his hair. "God it feels so hopeless!" Devon stood and grabbed Alonzo by his shoulders. "Don't give up Alonzo. Uly and Julia are depending on us. We can't give up." "I know Devon, I know." He responded tiredly. "Listen, why don't you rest for a while, and try again in a few hours. We wouldn't want you to wear yourself out. We're going to need you later."

"Yeah.... okay... that sounds like a good idea, but I want to go back as soon as possible, so I'm just going to get a quick bite to eat then I'll try again."

"Yeah you know.... maybe if you bug them enough the diggers will agree to help us just to get your pretty face out of their hair for a while." Danziger quipped to lighten the mood a little.

"I hope you're right Danziger..... I really do." Alonzo chuckled as he walked over to the other side of the tent to get a bite to eat. *God I hope he's right.*


New Pacifica
Prison Facility
Interrogation Room
Same time

It had been almost two hours since Commander West had left her. Her muscles had started to cramp up badly, so for the past hour, Julia had been trying to loosen her bonds. Unfortunately her hands were well tied, and the only thing she succeeded in doing was to rub her wrists raw. She was still trying to free her hands when West returned. Only this time he brought a sandwich and a glass of water, which only served to remind Julia of how hungry and thirsty she was. Also entering with West was a gentleman in a white lab coat.

"Good afternoon Doctor." He walked around and touched one of the wall panels behind her. A shelf popped out and he placed the sandwich and water on it before walking around to stand in front of her. "I can see that you've been very busy." He said while motioning toward her bound hands.

"Well you know me.... I had to find something to entertain me since I didn't have your charming personality." She replied sarcastically.

West slapped her across the face again. "Doctor..... do we really have to go over the rules again?" He lifted his arms up in exasperation. "You know I'm really getting tired of this. Things would go so much more smoothly if you'd just cooperate with us."

"Oh yeah..... heaven forbid that I should make things difficult for you." She said with a look of defiance. She braced herself for the blow she knew was coming.

West, whose anger was rising, raised his arm as if to strike her, then suddenly a sly grin appeared on his face and he lowered his arm. "Doctor.... perhaps I should introduce you to my friend here." He motioned toward the man in the lab coat. "This is Dr. Lawrence Webber, and he's going to help me with your questioning."

Julia glanced at Webber. He looked young, about Julia's age, and eager to please. Wisps of his jet black hair hung over his piercing black eyes, making it difficult to detect his intentions. Yet, it wasn't hard to imagine what his intentions were by the way he confidently stood by the Commander's side.

"Dr. Webber why don't we get started." And with those words Webber walked behind Julia to another touch panel, and from behind it was revealed various types of drugs and associated hypo-sprays. He grabbed a drug and hypo-spray then walked over to stand beside Julia.

"Okay Julia.... is there anything you'd like to say before we get started?" West asked.

"Yeah.... you know, I'd be a lot more receptive to answering questions if my hands were untied, and I had something to eat and drink. Oh and one more thing.... don't call me Julia. Only my friends call me that, and fortunately you're not one of them."

A grin slowly played across West's lips. "Still as feisty as ever aren't you? You just love playing the smart ass don't you? Well I suppose there wouldn't be any harm in untying your hands *Doctor*, but as for food and water...... well I think you'd be more 'receptive', as you put it, without it. I'll give you all the food and water you want........ *once* you answer my questions."

Julia realized she wasn't going to get much more than that. She was lucky he had agreed to release her hands. *At least it's a start.* "Fine."

West motioned toward Dr. Webber, and he quickly untied her hands. "Well then lets get started. Dr. Heller, I believe you are familiar with the changes that occurred within Ulysses Adair. Citizen Reilly also mentioned that you experimented on yourself by injecting the boy's DNA into your system. We would like to know what all of the results were in your experiment as well as any information that you might have left out of your reports to Reilly. We also need to know of any other occurrences of interest that took place after you broke your connection to the Council."

"I've already told Reilly everything I know. There isn't anything else to tell."

"Now why is it that I don't believe you?" "You can *believe* anything you want.... I'm telling you the truth." "You're determined to make this difficult aren't you." He motioned toward Webber. "Very well, have it your way."

She suddenly felt the hypo-spray against her neck, as Webber injected her with some sort of drug. "What did you just give me?"

"Ah..... it's an interesting little drug the Council has been experimenting with. It's similar to the old truth serums, only this one has a nasty effect. You see as long as you tell the truth..... everything is just fine. You'll feel great. But the moment you decide to withhold information or lie..... the drug releases a chemical that attacks certain sensory nerves in the brain. The effect is extremely painful, and the more you resist the more painful it becomes. Unfortunately, since it's rather experimental no one is quite sure of the drugs long term effects, so it's to your benefit to cooperate so that the drugs use is limited."

Julia stared at West as if he'd lost his mind. "This is crazy.... you and the Council both are just crazy!"

A sly grin appeared on West's face. "I think it's time we begin again. What information do you have about the boy and the Terrians that you haven't already told Reilly?"

"I told you..... there isn't anything else. I've told Reilly all that I know...... AHHH!!!" Julia cried out as a sharp pain in her head assaulted her.

"It appears that you're telling me one thing, but the pain you feel reveals that there is something you're leaving out of the picture. You mind telling us what that is?"

She clutched her head as the pain increased. "I don't know anything else." She spit out through clinched teeth.

The pain increased steadily with each denial of further knowledge. It was a shooting pain.... intense..... unyielding. It felt as if her head were going to explode. Suddenly Julia collapsed from the chair clutching her head as the almost blinding pain seemed to devour her. She continued to deny any further knowledge, but it was almost an instinctual reaction because at the moment she couldn't concentrate.... she couldn't think.... the pain was so intense. Just when she thought she would surely die, blackness consumed her.

West, who had just stood there watching Julia suffer without batting an eye, suddenly saw her stop moving. Using his foot, he shoved her on her back. "Is she dead?"
Webber crouched down to examine her. "No, just unconscious. It appears that she just passed out from the pain. She's stronger than she looks."

"Well then it looks like we'll have to continue this interrogation later." West then grabbed his gear and called for a couple of men to come and take her back to her cell.

Once everyone had left, West turned toward the large projection screen and activated it with a switch along the side. Within moments Reilly appeared.

"Commander..... I take it you have something to report?" "Yes sir. We're in the process of interrogating Dr. Heller, but it doesn't look like it will be easy to obtain any information from her. She's resisting the effects of the drug."

"Well then give her more of the drug dammit! I know she's hiding something from me.... I can feel it."

"Sir.... she's pretty insistent that she doesn't know anything. Could it be that maybe she's telling the truth and the drug isn't working as we expected it to?"

"No... she's hiding something.... I'm sure of it." Reilly eyed West suspiciously. "You're not growing soft on me are you Commander? The Council would be very disappointed if you couldn't complete your assignment. I know that Dr. Heller has a certain appeal to a young man such as yourself, but you need to put those thoughts aside. She is a traitor to the Council.... to our way of life, and as such must atone for her sins."

West's expression hardened. "I realize that sir, and believe me when I say that you have nothing to worry about. I will do whatever it takes to get the information out of the doctor. You can count on me. I will not let the Council down."

A smile played across Reilly's lips. "Good Commander. Now that's what I like to hear. When is your next interrogation session?"

"Well this was the first session, and she passed out after a few minutes. She now knows what it feels like to resist, so I thought I'd give her a little time to think about her next actions. I plan to start again first thing in the morning."

"Hmmmm.... I was hoping to start again within the next few hours, but perhaps it would be best to let her dwell on it a little." He stood there with a thoughtful expression for a moment before proceeding. "Very well Commander, proceed as planned, and keep me informed of your progress."

"Yes sir." Then Reilly's image disappeared, leaving West staring into space, lost in his own thoughts. He slowly turned and stared at the chair where Julia had been sitting, and Reilly's words rang in his ears..... "She is a traitor to the Council.... to our way of life, and as such must atone for her sins."..... With renewed fervor, he turned to leave, in search of Dr. Webber to see about increasing the dosage on the drug.


New Pacifica
Captain's Office
2000 hour

O'Ryan was distracted from the paperwork on his desk by a knock on his door. Without even glancing up, he called, "Enter." Lieutenant Donaldson quickly entered and saluted. "At ease Lieutenant." O'Ryan said as he glanced up. "I thought I told you to stay with the boy. I wanted you to monitor all exams and tests." O'Ryan said with a look of annoyance.

"Sir.... Dr. Conners has completed his exams for today. He decided to hold off any tests until first thing tomorrow morning because Uly was tired."

"Has anything interesting turned up in the exams so far?" O'Ryan asked with curiosity.

"No sir.... at least not that I'm aware of." Donaldson replied thoughtfully. "Well..... just keep me up to date. Is that all Lieutenant?" "No sir. You had asked me to see if I could get a feeling on what the men were thinking about all of this. To let you know if I thought they'd be willing to support you if you should decided to disobey one of Reilly's orders."

O'Ryan nodded. "Go on."
"Well I get the impression that most of the men would be willing to follow you and your orders over those of West and Reilly."

Relief washed over O'Ryan's face. "That's great Lieutenant. Keep me up to date on the men and their feelings."

"Yes sir." Donaldson started shifting uneasily from one foot to another. "I get the distinct impression that you have something else on your mind." "Yes sir. On the way over here I decided to take a quick peak over in the Prison Facility to see how things were going with Dr. Heller. I'm not so sure you're going to like what I have to say."

Moments later, O'Ryan was striding purposefully over to the prison building. He couldn't believe what he had just heard. It was bad enough that West was virtually torturing Heller for the information he wanted, but to deprive her of food and water was just too much. He was determined to put an end to this now. As he entered the building he saw West talking to one of the men assigned as guards, and walked over to them. They immediately saluted upon seeing him.

"At ease gentlemen. Commander I'd like to have a word with you." "Certainly sir, if you'll just give me a moment to....." "*Now* Commander." O'Ryan interrupted. West could tell that O'Ryan was not in the best of moods. "Alright sir, if you'll just following me. I have a temporary office in the back." West led O'Ryan down a side corridor leading to some offices, one of which he was using. The office was rather small, with only a desk, a cabinet, and a couple of chairs, but it was sufficient for it's purpose. Once inside, O'Ryan began to question West.

"What's this I hear about you denying Dr. Heller any food and water?" "Sir.... what I do or do not do with the prisoner is of no concern of yours. Citizen Reilly said......"
O'Ryan was fuming. "I don't give a damn what Reilly said! Reilly does not run this outfit.... *I* do! You *will* provide Dr. Heller with food and water, and that's an order Commander." He leaned in closer to West. "I may not be able to dictate your interrogation methods, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let you deprive someone of the basic necessities of life. Have I made myself perfectly clear Commander?"

"Yes sir." West unfortunately accepted..... for now. "Excellent. Then I suggest you find something for her and either bring it to her yourself or have someone deliver it."

"Yes sir. I'll get right on it."
"Good. In the meantime I think I'll pay the good doctor a visit." Before West had a chance to protest, the Captain had turned and walked out of the office.

O'Ryan went back to the guards station, and the guard led him to a door down an opposite corridor from the one to West's office. As he waited for the guard to unlock the door, O'Ryan peered through the one small window in the door located at about eye level to himself. He tried to catch a glimpse of Julia but all he saw was darkness, and shadows caused by the moonlight that streamed through the one small window on the far wall. As the door opened light from the corridor entered the room, illuminating much of it. O'Ryan slowly entered. Once his eyes adjusted, he spotted Julia crouched on the floor in the corner next to her cot, her legs pulled up to chest, leaning forward on her knees.

"Dr. Heller?" O'Ryan asked tentatively. Julia slowly lifted her head, and O'Ryan gasped at seeing her bruised and bloody face. Julia just stared at O'Ryan without saying a word.

"Dr. Heller, I've ordered the Commander to provide you with food and water. I'm sorry I can't do more for you at the moment." "Uly?" Julia whispered.
"Don't worry about him. I promised Adair I'd make sure he wasn't harmed and I intend to keep that promise."

"The others?" Julia managed to whisper again. "They are unharmed..... under house arrest you might say." With a small sigh of relief Julia leaned forward over her knees again, no longer having the strength nor desire to maintain any sort of conversation. O'Ryan took that as a sign that he should leave. A quiet.... "Thank you Captain.".... could be heard as he stepped out of the room. With a heavy heart O'Ryan left the building and headed back to his office. *You're welcome Doctor.... I only which I could have done more. I pray that you have the strength to continue, and that I have the strength to stop it from going too far.*

End of Chapter Eight....... To be continued in Chapter Nine.......


LOYALTIES (9/11)
by Rosa M. Moran
Copyright July 1996

(Voice of Alonzo Solace)

Two days have passed since they took Uly and Julia. I've had no luck in convincing the Terrians to help. Danziger is about ready to give up on that plan, and is working with the others to come up with an alternative plan. Devon has had no success in contacting Captain O'Ryan, although Sergeant Morton insists that O'Ryan is willing to talk, and will do so soon, but apparently he's just too busy at the moment. We are only to be patient, but our patience is running out. It's hard to just sit around doing nothing.... not knowing what's become of our friends and loved ones. I've decided to dream with the Terrians in one last attempt to convince them to help us.

Alonzo was dreaming again, only this time without the urgency and desperation he'd shown for the past two days. He was no longer willing to beg for their help. He was tired of all this. He no longer had the energy nor desire to argue with the Terrians. If only he could just make them see the importance of their help. So he just stood there waiting, and within moments they had come. The Terrians encircled him again..... waiting.

"I'm not here to beg for your help.... not today. Today I'm here to explain why you should help."

//We can not interfere in your affairs.// "Yeah, yeah.... where have I heard that before?" Alonzo sarcastically replied. "You don't seem to understand that if you don't help all is lost..... including your only connection to humans."

//The boy is safe. He still dreams.// "Yes you're right... he is safe for now, but how long do you think that will last? Soon they will have no need for him. They will find a way to break your connection with him."

//The boy must not be harmed.//
"But the boy will be harmed. Once they're finished with the exams and the tests.... once they figure out what his connection is to this planet..... to you.... that's when the harm will come."

//The boy is part of the tribes. He must not be harmed. We can not allow that.//

"Then you'll help us.... to save the boy." Alonzo excited said with a feeling that things were finally turning in the right direction.

//The boy needs to be trained. He needs to learn to control the dreams, to use the power sticks, to travel through the mother. Once the boy is safe again, we will begin the training.//

"The boy is still very young..... difficult to control, to train. Help us to make him safe, then once he's grown a little more, you may come for him for training." Alonzo said hoping Devon didn't kill him for agreeing to this.

//We agree. We will help. What is it you need?// Alonzo was so shocked that the Terrians had finally agreed to help that for a moment he just stood there is total silence. Then a look of pure joy quickly spread across his face and he excitedly began to relay the groups plans. Once he made sure that the Terrians understood what they had to do, he hurriedly left the dream plane to tell the others the great news. Things were finally falling into place.


New Pacifica
Prison Facility
Interrogation Room

Julia wasn't sure she could take much more of this. For the past two days she had been living through hell. West was relentless in his pursuit of what he deemed was the "truth". Julia was just a relentless in denying knowledge of anything. At times the pain was so intense that she felt that it would cause a stroke. Sometimes she found herself praying for that stroke.... praying for death to relieve the pain. She had blacked out several times due to the pain in the past two days. At first she would awaken to find herself in her cell where she would have a little time to recover between sessions, but West was getting restless. Now when she awakened she found herself in the interrogation room where she would be ruffly dragged back to her chair and the interrogation would continue from where it left off.

Finding herself with virtually no time to recover, Julia decided to revise her tactics. She could no longer afford to deny all knowledge of Uly and the Terrians. So in order to stall and in the process relieve some of the pain, she slowly began to relay information. She could tell that West was rather pleased with himself. Yet before long she had told him all that she dared, then her walls went back up and with it came the intense pain. She soon found herself on the floor as blackness overtook her.

Moments later, as she slowly regained consciousness, she could barely make out a conversation taking place within the same room. She strained to listen, keeping perfectly still, so as not to reveal the fact that she was conscious.

"She's playing you for a fool Commander, and unfortunately I fall under the same category." Reilly disgustedly stated.

"I don't understand sir. Isn't that the type of information you were looking for?" West asked a little confused.

"The information you've uploaded to me is worthless! It's the *exact* same information that she's already reported to me in the past.... before she turned against the Council. There is nothing new. She's just stalling." Reilly replied angrily. "Not only that but she lied to me as well. She told me that the boy's pineal gland was missing, but Dr. Conners assures me that the boy has one. I had given Heller the order to remove it from the boy, and she comes back to me and says that he doesn't have one to remove, and I want to know why? Why did she feel the need to hide that fact?"

"Sir, perhaps it would be easier to get the answers from her personal medical records. We confiscated her records when we raided the Eden Project camp. Unfortunately the records have been sealed with an intricate code which up until now we've been unable to uncode. Perhaps it would be easier to force her to tell us her code rather than the information itself. Once we have the code we should be able to retrieve the necessary data." West suggested.

"That sounds like an excellent plan Commander. I'm getting very impatient. Do you think you'll be able to get the code soon?"

"I'm not sure but I'll certainly try. I'm not sure how much of this drug her system will be able to handle."

"I don't give a damn about what this drug will do to her or what it is doing to her..... just get that information! Good day Commander." Reilly said as he broke the connection.

West was angry and disgusted.... more at himself than anyone else. He turned to look at Julia. She was making him look like a fool in front of Reilly and the Council. He just couldn't understand how this simple woman could continue to resist his every efforts at obtaining the information he so desperately desired. She was much stronger than she looked, but he was determined to break her. Anger welled up in him as he stepped over to her sprawled form on the floor.

"Damn you!" He cried out as he kicked her hard in the ribs. To his surprise, he saw her winch in pain. "Why you little bitch..... you're awake!" He grabbed her by the arm and shoved her back onto the chair. "I've had it up to here with you!" He screamed while motioning to the top of his head. "You are going to either tell me what I want to know or you're going to give me your personal access code..... either one.... I don't care but you're going to give me the information or so help me you are going to suffer like you've never suffered before! You're going to pray for death to take you!" He screamed at her while shaking her shoulders, then he reared back and slapped her hard across the face. "Do you hear me?! Do you understand?!" He looked at her with venom in his eyes, then slapped her again. "Answer me damn it!!"

Looking at West with contempt and disgust, she leered, "Go to hell. I'm not telling you anything. I'll die first before you get anything out of me. I guarantee it."

The anger in West roared to life as he raised his arm to strike her again but something he saw stopped him. There before him sat Dr. Julia Heller. Her face swollen, bruised, and bloodied from the blows he'd given her. The pain in her eyes clearly reflected the effects of three times the normal dose of the drug eating away at her body and mind. Yet even after all of the mental and physical anguish she's suffered, he also saw dignity, determination, resolve, and undying loyalty. She really cares for Adair and her people. He could see it so clearly.... she'd do anything to keep the others safe, even at the cost of her own life. A sudden inspiration came to mind. If her life wasn't worth the information he needed, maybe someone else's life would be worth it. Maybe he had been going about this in the wrong way. *She is willing to die to protect the others but would she be willing to let the others die to protect the information? Somehow I don't think so.* A sly grin came across his face.... a grin that sent shivers down Julia's back.

"Well Dr. Heller it appears that we've reached an impasse. Perhaps you need a little motivation in order to make the proper choices."

Julia watched him with suspicious eyes. "What are you talking about?"

"I think you're correct Doctor.... I believe you when you say that you'd die first before giving me any information." West switched his gear on and called for a couple of his men. He watched as two soldiers entered the room. "I'm just wondering if you'd be willing to watch someone else die for that information."

Julia's eyes widened with fear. "What?!" "Take her back to her cell." He said while motioning toward the two corporals that just entered.

"Wait!" Julia cried out as she was dragged out of the room. "Wait Commander.... please!"

"We'll talk later Doctor. I've decided to invite that young pilot boyfriend of yours to your next session, and I want to give you enough time to carefully think about being a little more cooperative. We wouldn't want you to *live* to regret your actions." West snickered as he saw the terror in Julia's eyes as she was dragged out of the room. *Yes! I think things are finally going to start going my way.*


Eden Project Advance Crew Campsite
Main Tent
A Couple of Hours Before Sunset

"Okay people! The diggers are going to attack in a couple of hours. We need to take control of our end by then..... so I say it's time to start the plan in motion." Turning toward Morgan, he said, "Get going Martin.... you're first."

"Ahhh....ahhhh.... maybe you should get Walman and Baines to go first." Morgan stuttered.

"Dammit Martin, just get going for God's sake! We don't have time to argue!" Alonzo cried out.

"Come on honey.... I'll come with you." Bess said as she gently pulled Morgan out of the tent.

The rest of the group stood peaking out of the tent watching in amusement at Morgan Martin doing what he does best...... being a pest and a whiner. They weren't sure what he was doing or saying, but whatever it was, it was working because a couple of the soldiers looked just about ready to bop him in the head.

Devon caught sight of Sergeant Morton heading over to the scene and she decided it was time for her to do her part.

Danziger caught her hand as she stepped out of the tent. "Be careful."

She turned and gave him a tender smile. "I will, don't worry." She then pulled away and headed to intercept the Sergeant. They saw as Devon directed the Sergeant away from the situation with the Martins.

Danziger watched with concern in his eyes as Devon and Morton disappeared into her tent, then glanced back at the Martins. "Walman.... Baines.... you guys better get going before that soldier decides to shoot Martin to keep him quiet."

With a chuckle the two men began what appeared to be a very heated argument which quickly escalated into an all out fist fight. Little by little more and more people were drawn into the fight, even the ladies were getting involved, much to Danziger's amusement.

Danziger quickly turned toward Alonzo and Magus. "Come on guys... lets get those weapons." The three friends sneaked out of the tent and carefully headed to where the Dune Rail with the weapons was sitting just outside of camp. They could hear behind them as some of the soldiers where finding themselves in the middle of the fight while others were trying to break it up. They soon reached the Dune Rail and began to grab as many weapons as they could carry.

"This is it guys! It's now or never!" Danziger shouted as they quickly headed back toward the center of camp.

(Voice of Alonzo Solace)

The next few events seemed to take place in slow motion, and it seemed to happen all at once. After retrieving some of the weapons, Danziger, Magus, and I rushed back to camp, and we came in from three different directions. Danziger screamed "Scatter!", and like the ripples in a pond after a rock is thrown in, the Eden crew pulled away all in different directions. Some grabbed weapons that the soldiers had dropped to try and stop the fight, others were given weapons that we had retrieved from the Dune Rail. Before the soldiers realized what had happened we had the ones in the center of camp surrounded, and we were returning fire with those still on the outskirts of camp. It wasn't until Sergeant Morton, who we'd captured in the center of camp, shouted for a cease fire that we started to relax a little. We tied the soldiers up and left Denner, Yale, the Martins and True as guards while the rest of us grabbed Dune Rails and headed toward New Pacifica where we knew the next battle would be fought. We'd won this battle, but there was still a war to be won. It was far from over. I pray we will reach Julia and Uly in time, and I hope the Terrians do their part..... or the fight we are about to partake in will be over before it's even begun.


LOYALTIES (10/11)
by Rosa M. Moran
Copyright July 1996

New Pacifica
Captain's Office
Minutes before Sunset

O'Ryan sat quietly working on some paperwork when Lieutenant Donaldson suddenly came rushing into his office.

"Captain.... we've got a big problem." Donaldson shouted as he walked right up to O'Ryan's desk.

O'Ryan looked up from his work with a small frown on his face. "Lieutenant?"

Donaldson, immediately realizing his error, stood back at attention and swiftly saluted his Captain. "Sorry sir, but my news deals with the Adair boy and I thought you'd want to know right away."

O'Ryan immediately focused on Donaldson upon hearing the news had to do with Uly. "At ease Lieutenant. Now what's this about the boy?"

"Sir, Dr. Conners is preparing to operate on him first thing in the morning to remove his pineal gland."

"He's going to do what?!!!" O'Ryan exclaimed as he rose from his chair.

"I overheard Dr. Conners talking to Reilly. Reilly believes that this gland is the key to the changes that has occurred in the boy. Apparently Dr. Heller was supposed to have taken it out, but she told Reilly that the boy didn't have one. That somehow the change affected that gland and it just disappeared.... or something like that. Anyway, for some reason Dr. Heller lied to Reilly because she didn't take it out and the boy does have one. Now Reilly wants Dr. Conners to do what Dr. Heller was supposed to do and remove that gland." Donaldson calmly relayed.

O'Ryan's mind immediately recalled an experiment he'd heard about that occurred during the Faith Wars back in the twenty first century. The experiment, which consisted of the removal of the pineal gland, were done on POW's. He'd also heard that most of these "subjects" had either died, or devolved into vicious soul-less animals. Even though half had lived, the experiment was still considered a total disaster. Dr. Heller had protected the boy by lying to Reilly.... why?.... he wasn't sure, but she must have had her reasons, and at the moment he wasn't going to question Dr. Heller's judgment on this issue. He was determined to protect the boy. Long ago he had vowed that not another child would die or be harmed due to his actions or lack thereof. He was not about to break that promise now..... even if it meant changing loyalties by turning against the Council. Before he had a chance to say anything Donaldson interrupted his thoughts.

"Sir, I think you should also know that the situation with Dr. Heller is also escalating."

"What do you mean?"
"I think that West is getting desperate. Dr. Heller just refuses to cooperate. Corporals Gardner and Young just reported to me. West had them drag Dr. Heller back to her cell but not after he mentioned to her that he'd be getting that pilot boyfriend of her."

"What?.... Why?"
"Apparently West feels that Dr. Heller would be more receptive to spitting out the information he's looking for if someone else's life were in her hands rather than her own life. And let me tell you sir.... from what the corporals tell me.... if anything happens to this pilot.... it'll just destroy her. They could tell that she is very much in love with him."

O'Ryan suddenly realized that the time had finally arrived. No more second thoughts. No more hesitations. A choice would finally need to be made and O'Ryan suddenly knew what that choice *had* to be. "First of all, there is no way in hell that I'm going to let Dr. Conners remove anything from Ulysses. Second, I'm not going to let West drag another innocent bystander into this mess. And third, I think that Dr. Heller has suffered more than enough for her *supposed* crimes against the Council. Crimes that at the moment I'd have to say I'm guilty of as well." He opened a drawer and withdrew his handgun, holstering it as he walked around his desk. "Lieutenant.... I think it's time we took control of this situation. I'm not sure what Reilly's agenda is, but his agenda is no longer my agenda."

"*Our* agenda, sir. It's no longer *our* agenda." Donaldson interrupted. "I'm with you all the way."

Placing a hand on Donaldson's shoulder, O'Ryan looked closely at his young Lieutenant. "Ryan..... I want to make sure you realize what you're getting into here. I'm planning to disobey Reilly's orders.... the Council's orders. There may even be some fighting between West and whomever are supporting him, with those that support me."

"I realize that sir, but...."
O'Ryan suddenly shushed him with a wave of his hand. "Ryan..... we may never be able to go back to the stations again. The Sentinel and it's crew will, for all intensive purposes, be considered as traitors, and if we do return it will mean a court-martial for all those involved."

"I know that sir, and I understand. I still intend to follow you." He looked O'Ryan steadily in the eyes. "As for going back..... well I have to admit that I've grown to like this new Earth. I have no one or nothing waiting for me back at the stations. If the result of following you means that I won't be able to return and will be forced to consider living here, then so be it. And sir..... I can tell you right now that most of the men agree with me on this issue."

O'Ryan looked at his young second officer with pride in his heart. Donaldson was a good man, and he was very lucky to have him at his side. "Thanks Ryan.... you have no idea what your support means to me."

"You don't have to thank me sir."
"Yes.... yes I do. Now come on we've got work to do." O'Ryan said as he headed out the door. "I want you to go get Dr. Heller while I go get Ulysses. We're returning them to Adair's camp. Sergeant Morton and his men will watch over them until we've had a chance to secure New Pacifica, and the threat from West and his people is over."

"Can you trust the Sergeant?"
"Gary?...... Oh yeah..... Gary and I go back a long way. I trust him as much as I trust you. I'll just have to hope he'll be able to control the other men that are with him, and keep them in line."

They came out of the building and looked around. The town was fairly quiet. There were guards patrolling the outskirts, and since it was still rather early many of the men were congregated in small groups throughout the town. O'Ryan spotted West within one of these small groups talking animatedly with a couple of men, and pointed it out to Donaldson.

"I wouldn't be surprised if he's recruiting a couple of guys to go get the pilot." Donaldson guessed.

"Well lets get Dr. Heller and Ulysses out of here and back to Adair before things start to escalate. We'll meet back behind the water tower. Get someone you trust to bring a Dune Rail. Have them meet us there in fifteen minutes."

"Yes sir."
And with those words the two men split and headed toward their designated targets. Little did anyone know that within minutes all hell would break loose.


Outskirts of New Pacifica
Same Time

Danziger, Adair and the others arrived at the outskirts of New Pacifica and spread out. The next phase was up to the Terrians to implement. For the Eden crew, now came the difficult part of this mission...... waiting.


New Pacifica
Medical and Research Facility
Same Time

O'Ryan quickly entered the building and headed toward the room Ulysses had been assigned. When he entered he found Uly crouched down on the floor, eyes closed as if in a trance.

"Uly?" O'Ryan knelt down in front of Uly. "Are you okay?" Uly suddenly opened his eyes and jumped to his feet. "They're coming."

"Who's coming Uly?"
"The Terrians, Mr. O'Ryan. They are coming to take me home." O'Ryan eyed Uly for a moment then gave him an amused grin. "Sure Ulysses whatever you say." He replied while standing. "You're right in a way..... *I'm* here to take you home, but you have to do exactly as I say, and keep very quiet. Okay?"

"Yes sir."
"Okay then come on, lets go." O'Ryan led Uly out the back way. He didn't want to draw too much attention to himself by walking through the building and out the front entrance. Fortunately they didn't run into anyone and were soon headed toward the water tower.


New Pacifica
Prison Facility
Same Time

Donaldson entered the building and immediately spotted Gardner and Young. They looked nervous, young and eager. *God did I ever look so young.* He couldn't remember a time when he didn't feel the responsibilities weighing heavily on his own young shoulders. He only hoped that these men and the others were up for what could be a very unpleasant task ahead.

The two Corporals saluted as he walked up to them. "At ease gentlemen. The time has finally come to take action. We're taking over. Young gather up the others, you know who they are. Let them know that they should take their appropriate positions. We're taking control of this complex before sunrise."

"Yes sir, I'm on my way." And Young quickly left to relay the orders.

"What would you like me to do sir?" Gardner asked. "I want you to take a Dune Rail and wait with it behind the water tower. The Captain and I will meet you there in about ten or fifteen minutes. We're returning Dr. Heller and Ulysses Adair back to their camp."

"Yes sir.... I'll get right on it." Gardner started to leave when Donaldson grabbed his arm. "Is Dr. Heller still in the same cell?"

"Yes sir, and the keys are still hanging on the wall over there." He pointed to the wall above the guards desk. "Do you need any help?"

"No, just go get the Dune Rail and be there waiting for us." "No problem sir. I'll be there." And Gardner left to commandeer a Dune Rail.

Donaldson grabbed the keys and rushed down the hall to Julia's cell. He nervously struggled to unlock the door. He had to hurry.... there wasn't much time left. He flung the door open and peered into the dark room. The only illumination into the room was provided by the hall light and the small window on the fall wall of the room. Allowing his eyes to adjust to the darkness, he scanned the room for Julia. He found her in the corner of the room, huddled on the floor, in the fetal position, moaning softly. He slowly walked over to her crouching down to get a better look at her. What he saw made him sick inside. She looked awful. Pain was written all over her face. He gently reached out and moved her hair away from her face. *God.... what in the world did that bastard West do to you? How could we have let this go on for so long?* "Come on Julia.... I'm taking you home." He whispered as he tried to slowly help her to her feet. "Home?" She whispered as she slowly stood with effort.

"Yeah.... home. Come on, we've got to hurry." Donaldson took her arm and placed it around his shoulders and held her around the waist as he lead her out of the cell. She moaned softly in pain. As he came out into the light, he could clearly see the many bruises and cuts across her face among other places. She kept clutching her ribs with her other arm, and he could tell she was having difficulty breathing. She was in bad shape and needed medical attention, but first he had to get her out of there before West ended up killing her. Once he got her back to Adair's camp, and the situation here was under control, he'd have a doctor go out and look at her. Hopefully the damage done would not be permanent. Physically he had no doubt she would be okay, it was the mental damage he was more worried about, but now was not the time to contemplate that, now was the time to get to safety.

Stepping out into the open, they were soon headed over to the water tower. Due to Julia's injuries the pace was incredibly slow. Fearing they'd be late, Donaldson swept Julia up into his arms and carried her the remaining distance.

Little did anyone know that they were just about to get a rude welcoming from the local inhabitants.


LOYALTIES (11/11)
by Rosa M. Moran
Copyright July 1996

New Pacifica
Sunset

O'Ryan and Donaldson reached the Dune Rail behind the water tower at almost the exact same moment. They didn't think they had been followed, but they had to hurry just in case. They situated Uly and Julia in the back, and Donaldson and Gardner were preparing to take them back when all hell broke loose. They heard shouts and rifle fire coming from everywhere. O'Ryan, Donaldson, and Gardner, temporarily distracted from their task of returning Uly and Julia, ran back around the front of the water tower to see what all of the commotion was. They were under attack. Terrians were popping up everywhere. They would pop up, fire their power sticks at a target, and then disappear back into the earth only to pop back up in a different area. It was difficult to defend against such as attack. You never knew where they would pop out of the ground.

Donaldson was about to go back into camp to help, when O'Ryan grabbed his arm. "No! Take Dr. Heller and Ulysses back to Adair's camp. Corporal Gardner and I will go back." Donaldson hesitated. "That's an order Lieutenant!" With a grim nod, Donaldson headed back to the Dune Rail.

The moment that Donaldson left, O'Ryan and Gardner pulled out their guns and headed back to the center of town. There seemed to be chaos everywhere as the attack continued. The first order of business was to establish some form of order. O'Ryan immediately looked for West but could not spot him anywhere. *Damn that man! Where the hell is he when you need him!* "Corporal.... spread the word..... have the men turn on the spotlights. I want this town lit up like the middle of day." O'Ryan shouted as they split up. "Everyone take evasive actions!! Take cover and return fire!" O'Ryan ducked behind some crates just as light started to flood the center of town. At least now they had a better chance at seeing what they were shooting at. He looked around again as the fighting continued. *Where the hell is West!*

Donaldson jumped into the Dune Rail. "Hang on! We're going to move like a bat out of hell!" He shoved the Dune Rail into full throttle. Suddenly two shots were heard and one of the Dune Rail's tires flattened causing Donaldson to lose control. The Dune Rail careened over a log causing it to turn over onto it's side, throwing Uly and Julia out while knocking Donaldson unconscious. Uly slowly got to his feet then knelt down to help Julia, when a shadow of a man appeared above them. Uly gasped as he suddenly recognized West standing there with a look of anger and hate in his eyes. West reached down and dragged them to their feet by the collar of their shirts. "Did you really think you'd get away that easily? Your friends won't be able to save you now." He sneered. "Now move it!!" He shoved them back in the direction of all the fighting.... toward the center of town.

O'Ryan watched in fascination as the Terrians methodically disabled his men. Even with superior fire power, they stood little chance against these graceful majestic creatures. What he didn't understand was why after all of this time they had decided to attack. He'd made sure to steer clear of them since they'd gotten here.... why now? He spotted Adair and some of her people closing in from the outskirts of town. He suddenly understood what was happening. Somehow they had gotten the Terrians to help them attempt a rescue. A shot came near him and he ducked. *Well enough is enough. It's about time I put an end to this before anyone gets killed.* He made his way over to the communications council and switched on the loud speakers and gear signals. "Attention everyone this is Captain O'Ryan speaking. Cease fire. I repeat I'm ordering a cease fire. Adair..... we surrender. Call off the Terrians. I repeat we surrender!" It suddenly became very quiet.

O'Ryan walked away from the communications equipment and slowly made his way toward the center of town with his arms raised and his gun in his holster. Devon saw him come out into the open, and headed out slowly to intercept him with Danziger close on her heels. O'Ryan looked around as what was left of his standing men were slowly rounded up to one side of town. He also noticed Terrians standing with their power sticks along the town limits. He brought his attention back to the couple approaching him cautiously. "It's okay Devon. There isn't going to be any more fighting. I'm through with fighting. I'm through with the Council. It's time that these syndrome children find a place to live in peace. Maybe like your son they'll live, there will be peace, and no more children will have to die."

Devon stood there a moment staring at Derrick. "Where's Ulysses?" "And Julia?" Alonzo said as he approached after taking a moment to thank the Terrians for their help.

"They're safe. They were going to operate on Ulysses, and I couldn't allow that. I *wouldn't* allow them to injure your son Devon. I also couldn't take any more of the way Dr. Heller was being treated. She didn't deserve all of the pain and suffering she's had to endure. Just before the attack, I sent them back with Lieutenant Donaldson to your camp. They should be safe and sound there now."

A sick little laugh could be heard from behind O'Ryan. "I wouldn't bet on that if I were you *Captain*." O'Ryan quickly turned, as out from behind some crates appeared Uly and Julia with West very close behind holding tight to two guns aimed directly at their heads.

"Dammit Commander..... put down those weapons before someone gets hurt!" O'Ryan stated with as much authority as he could muster.

"Someone is going to get hurt Captain. These two will if anyone makes any sudden moves." He tightened his grip on the guns. "Understood?!!"

O'Ryan glanced back at Devon and saw fear in her eyes.... and something else too..... trust..... trust that he would be able to defuse this situation and that her son wouldn't be harmed. He only prayed he could live up to that trust because at the moment he had one very hot soldier on his hands, and it wasn't going to be easy to make him back down. "Listen Michael.... it's over. The fighting..... the tests..... the punishments..... it's all over. It's time to move on. We're not needed here, and the Council was wrong to think so."

West flashed angry eyes at O'Ryan. "Who are you to say where the Council is needed or not? Who are you to say that they are wrong? Huh! You're a nobody! You're nothing but a weakling.... an emotional coward! You're not even worthy to lick my boots!"

O'Ryan didn't even flinch at the harsh words. "Now son.... don't be a fool. You know this is wrong. Don't do anything you'll regret later." He said as he slowly approached West.

"Regret?! Are you kidding me? I'm going to be a hero! The Council will reward me for my efforts. I'm going to get on one of our shuttles and fly back to the Sentinel. I'll return to the stations, with my prized possessions, to a heroes welcome!" West slowly began to steer Julia and Uly in the direction of the parked shuttles located just outside of town.

Suddenly out of the corner of his eye, West spotted movement. Before he had time to react completely, Donaldson lunged at him, knocking one of the guns and Julia to the ground. Unfortunately, West had time enough to move slightly to one side taking Uly with him and was able to keep a firm grip on the one remaining gun in his hand.

West grabbed Uly and held him like a life jacket. "Nobody move! And I mean *you* especially *hero*. One more stunt like that and I'll waste this kid!" West sneered.

Donaldson slowly stood. Julia hadn't moved from her position on the ground. Donaldson figured she blacked out. After hitting the ground pretty hard in her present condition, he didn't blame her. No one else had moved except for O'Ryan who continued to take tiny little steps in West's direction while West was distracted with Donaldson. Donaldson noticed this and decided to continue distracting West. "You wouldn't hurt the boy. First of all it's what will make you a hero back on the stations. Plus if you kill him then there wouldn't be a reason to let you live or get away."

"And you really think I care about that?" West laughed. "Then you don't know me very well, because I'm willing to give up my life for what I think is right, and if I can't have the boy then no one can. I'll kill him and you'll lose your precious link to these Terrians. And if I do die because of it then at least I'll have the satisfaction of taking a few of you traitors with me in the process."

Donaldson noticed that O'Ryan had crept up close enough to make a grab for Uly. West apparently noticed the same thing because he swung his focus back toward O'Ryan. "Hold it right there Captain. You think I'm a fool or something? It's not going to be that easy."

O'Ryan froze. Donaldson decided it was now or never, and took several large steps forward. West, who hadn't expected Donaldson to make such a move, was caught by surprise, and out of instinct swung his gun away from Uly and in Donaldson's direction. O'Ryan turned this move to his advantage and lunged forward. He grabbed Uly and tossed him into Donaldson's arms, then grabbed West. Donaldson, who was unprepared to have a child suddenly thrust into his arms, stumbled back and fell as he caught Uly. He quickly struggled to his feet to try and help the Captain who was caught in a fierce struggle with West. Just as Donaldson was moving toward the two men, a shot rang out, and the struggling stopped. For an instant the world seemed to come to a standstill. No one moved. No one spoke. All was quiet.... for just an instant. Then West pushed away from O'Ryan, gun in hand, and watched as the Captain fell to his knees clutching his chest, blood seeping through his fingers.

In that moment, while the shock of what had just happened began to settle in, West swung his gun toward Uly, who still sat on the ground where Donaldson had left him. Before he had the time to aim, much less pull the trigger, a Terrian appeared beside him and with it's staff knocked the gun from his hand. No sooner had that happened, when a pair of arms rose from the Earth, grabbed his legs and began to pull him under. Terror shot into his eyes as he was drawn further and further into the Earth. For the Eden Project crew it brought back memories of Gaal being drawn into the Earth. West soon disappeared and his last cry for help was soon all that echoed in their minds. The Terrian standing next to the spot where West disappeared trilled something to Uly and Alonzo, then disappeared along with all of his other companions along the outskirts of town.

Devon didn't wait to find out what it had said, there would be time enough for that later. She quickly rushed to Uly's side, as Alonzo rushed to Julia's, and Donaldson to O'Ryan's side. "Uly! Oh thank God! Are you alright? Did they hurt you?" Devon asked as she clutched Uly close to her heart.

"I'm fine Mom. Mr. O'Ryan made sure they didn't hurt me." Uly said as he watched Donaldson call for a doctor on his gear, then ask a couple of his men to grab a stretcher to take O'Ryan to the Medical Facility. Then Donaldson told Alonzo to take the still unconscious Julia to the Medical Facility as well. She needed immediate attention for her injuries, and he was going to make sure the doctors took care of both O'Ryan and Julia. Alonzo wasted no time. He picked up Julia and carried her to the facility rather than wait for a stretcher.

Donaldson turned his attention back toward the Captain lying on the ground. "You're going to be alright sir. Just hang in there. Help is on it's way."

O'Ryan glanced up at Donaldson. "Devon?" He whispered. "Take it easy sir. Try not to talk." "Devon..... I need to speak with Devon." "Okay sir. Just relax I'll get her." Donaldson walked over to the Adairs. "Ms. Adair, Captain O'Ryan would like to have a moment of your time, and he's being rather insistent. Would you mind speaking with him a moment so that he'll relax?"

"Sure." Devon walked over to O'Ryan and knelt down beside him taking his hand in the process. "Derrick.... I understand you're being difficult as usual. Now would you just relax and take it easy so that the doctors can fix you up with minimal effort."

"You know me Devon..... always the troublemaker." He managed to cough out.

Devon gave O'Ryan a tender look. "Thank you Derrick. Thank you for taking care of my son."

"Ulysses..... is he okay?" O'Ryan whispered. "Yes.... he's fine. We're all fine..... thanks to you." "I'm sorry Devon..... I never meant for it to go this far. I should have done something sooner." O'Ryan said.

"Derrick.... don't worry about that now. You need to take it easy. Soon you'll be as good as new and we'll talk about it then."

"I wish that were true." O'Ryan looked at Devon with sad eyes. "I would have loved to live to see the other children running free across this planet." He saw a tear roll down Devon's face. "Don't cry Devon. You've done a good thing here. You should be happy. I did what I had to do. You did what you had to do." He took another ragged breath. "I'm just glad that I was able to make the right choices. Now I can die with a clean conscious. Take care of yourself Devon, and may you live a long and healthy life." And with those words, O'Ryan took his last breath, leaving a small group of mourners to grieve his death. With the battle finally won...... the war was over before it had really started thanks to a man whose loyalties to mankind and his conscious outweighed his loyalties to his superiors and their domineering agenda.


New Pacifica
Two Days Later

(Voice of Alonzo)

We buried Captain O'Ryan just a few hours ago. He was given a heroes burial on a ridge overlooking the town. We were all sorry to see him die. I think Lieutenant Donaldson was especially so. With both O'Ryan and West gone, that left Donaldson in charge as the next senior officer. I'm happy to see he is taking his new role well.

With the help of him and his men, we moved everything from our camp to New Pacifica, and we started to make ourselves at home. Donaldson and his men spent much of the last two days helping us set up, clean up, and pick up. I think some of his men want to leave and return to the stations despite the fact that they could end up being treated as traitors. Donaldson, himself, plans to stay, but has decided to let those that want to leave do so.

As for Reilly..... well no one has spoken to him or tried to make contact since we took over New Pacifica. It's just as well. We have nothing more to say to him, and we have no intention of listening to anything he has to say. We know he's still trouble. We know we haven't heard the last of him, but for now we'll just have to be content in knowing we defeated him..... and if we have to we'll do it again.

The medical personal has decided to stay much to Devon's delight. It's always handy to have a few extra doctors around especially in an unknown type of atmosphere as we're living in. They'll also come in handy when the syndrome families finally arrive. Uly doesn't appear to be suffering any ill effects from his ordeal. He's been running around all day getting into everyone's hair. He kept saying that the Terrians wouldn't let anything bad happen to him, and he was right.... they didn't. I think we were very lucky to have had their help. They are not going to forget the fact that we owe them..... they made that clear just before disappearing. Fortunately we have some time yet before Uly is old enough to understand his responsibilities to the Terrians. That will also give me time to break the news about that little deal I made, to Devon. That's something I'm definitely not looking forward to.

As for Julia..... she's alive thank God. I'm thankful that there are doctors here that can help her because although she's alive, she's in bad shape. If West wasn't already dead I think I'd kill him myself for what he put Julia through. The bruises on her body, the cuts on her face, her swollen features are all things that I won't easily forget. That damn West even broke a couple of ribs from some of the beatings he gave her. And as for whatever that drug was that they gave her.... she's still suffering from the effects. The pain in her eyes just destroys me. I which I could take that pain away or carry it for her. The doctors tell me that the effects of the drug will slowly dissipate with time. As I hold her hand, not wanting to leave her side for anything, I pray that the doctors are right. They still can't tell me what the long term effects of this drug will be. Apparently it was never tested before.... so no one knows. I try not to think about it because if I do I'd just go crazy with worry. Julia's my life and without her I have nothing. What she went through for me..... for us..... the torture, the pain...... and yet she didn't crack...... not even an inch. Her loyalty and love for me.... for us..... so strong that even during the most dire moments, she had the strength of that love and loyalty to carry her. For that, we will always be grateful. For that, I will love her until my dying days. For that, we've all been given the chance to build a wonderful new home here at New Pacifica..... a chance at life.

-The End-


Okay folks.... that's it! How about giving me a nice birthday present and tell me what you thought of it? Good or Bad.... I'm willing to listen to what you've got to say. I hope my story was entertaining and suspenseful, and worth the time and effort it took you to read it. I wrote this story as much for you guys as I did for myself, so I hope you all enjoyed it...... Take care! --- Rosa :-)

This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.