CONNECTION
By
Sabrina Sestito


Timeline: Time Unknown
Author's E-Mail: sestito@latcs1.cs.latrobe.edu.au


AUTHOR'S NOTES:

Hello,

This is another story centred around Julia and Alonzo. I just can't help it. There are my favourites.

Please let me know what you think.

Sabrina


Connection (1/3)
by Sabrina Sestito

Alonzo Solace, the stranded Eden Advance's pilot, was on a solitary overnight scout. He was trying to find a pass through the mountains for the vehicles. The group had been stuck at the Winter Camp for a while now. He did like to get away from the group so that he could explore this strange new world of G889. However, if truth be known, he missed Dr Julia Heller, who was the Group's only medical doctor and his lover. He invited her to come along with him on this scout. She had agreed, but unfortunately, Baines injured his leg and was in need of the Doctor's services. This constant reminder of his deep feelings for Julia surprised him. He was, indeed, a changed man.

The next day, Alonzo returned to the Biodome and reported that he had no luck in finding a pass through the mountains. After having a quick dinner, Alonzo went to bed early, feeling tired after his scout.


That night, Alonzo had a lot of problems sleeping. Besides being overtired, he kept having strange thoughts about Julia.

Some while ago, the group had discovered that Julia was a council spy sent on the Eden project to spy on them. Alonzo wondered whether they were doing the right thing by now trusting her. Could she now be trusted? Was she still in contact with the Council? Alonzo tossed and turned, but could not get those strange thoughts out of his mind.


The next morning, Alonzo was so confused and upset. Was Julia a traitor? Could she be trusted? Did she deserve his love and the trust of the group. How could he have been fooled by her. He quickly got up and dressed. He left Julia sleeping and went in search of Devon and Danziger. He found them having breakfast.

"Devon, John, I need to speak to you, privately", Alonzo said.

"Can it wait until after breakfast", asked Danziger.

"No", shouted Alonzo, "I need to speak to you, now".

Both Devon and Danziger were surprised at Alonzo's outburst. They got up and followed Alonzo out of the Biodome.

Once they were a fair distance away from anyone, Alonzo turned to them and said, "Look, guys, I know that this may seem strange, but I don't trust Julia."

"What!!", exclaimed both Devon and John.

"Look, I have been thinking and I don't think that we should trust Julia. She was, and may still be, a council spy. She was sent on this mission to spy on us. How can we trust her knowing that. She operated on your son, Devon and she tried to kill you. How can we believe her?"

"Alonzo, you of all people never lost faith in Julia. Why do you question her loyalty now?" Devon queried.

"Well, I'm not sure. I just have this feeling that she should not be trusted. I think that she has manipulated us into believing her. She has manipulated me the most. This is most probably due to my connection with the Terrians. She needs to know what is going on."

Devon and Danziger looked at eachother and then looked at Alonzo.

Devon said, "Look, Alonzo, Julia has proven her loyalty over and over again, since our discovery of her Council affiliation. Julia risked her life when she went up against the ZED. I trust her completely." Devon paused and then continued, "Alonzo, you have not shown me anything which could make me doubt her. I am not buying your argument."

Alonzo could not believe it. "Devon", he shouted, "are you saying that you believe Julia more than you believe me? She was a Council spy!!"

"I did not say that, Alonzo", responded Devon. "I am simply saying that I have grown to trust Julia." Devon then looked to Danziger and back to Alonzo. "Look, let's just keep an eye on her for now. OK?"

Both men nodded in agreement and went their separate ways.


Later that morning, Julia caught up with Alonzo. "Hey, fly-boy", she cried, "I missed you at breakfast. Where did you go?"

"Nowhere", Alonzo responded angrily. "I needed to do a few things. Is that OK with you!!"

"Of course, Alonzo", Julia said. She looked closely at him and could see that he was angry and upset. "Hey, what's wrong?", she asked.

Alonzo was just about to explode, but instead, took a few deep breadths. He said "Julia, our relationship is not working for me anymore. I don't love you."

"What!!", cried Julia. "What are you saying? What has happened? I thought that we were so happy!" Tears were forming in her eyes.

"Well, you were wrong. I don't trust you and I don't love you!! You were a Council spy sent on this mission to spy on us. Now, leave me alone!!" He stormed off .

Julia just stood there, not believing her ears. She started crying and ran quickly to her tent.


At lunch, the whole group knew the situation with Alonzo and Julia. In such a small group, secrets were hard to keep. But, besides that, the whole group heard the argument.

Most of the group could not believe Alonzo's outburst. They could not believe that Alonzo would break up with Julia in that manner. In fact, most could not believe that he would break up with her at all. However, they had heard it with their own ears. Most of the group had grown to like Alonzo. He had proven to be trustworthy and was always volunteering.

On the other hand, most of the group also liked Julia. Upon hearing of her affiliation with the Council, most had voted to leave her behind. However, Julia had subsequently proven her loyalty, and as such, most, once again, trusted her. But, their initial mistrust now re-surfaced. If the man who loved her, doubt her loyalty, maybe they should too.

The harmony of the Eden Advance group had been destroyed.


Later that afternoon, Walman had an accident and he hurt his arm. Julia rushed to him and tried to help.

"Its OK, Julia", Walman said coldly. "I don't need your help."

"What are you saying Walman, your arm is broken", Julia responded. "Let me look at it."

"No, it's OK!", cried Walman. He walked towards his tent without a backward glance.

Julia just stood there, and could not believe this. The group had lost their faith in her. After her connection with the Council had been discovered, most of the group had voted to leave her behind. However, after knowing the complete facts, and after a little while, most of the group forgave her. What happened to their trust, she wondered. Now, just because Alonzo broke up with her and he said that he didn't trust her, no one else did either.

Devon saw the episode with Walman and she could not believe what she had just seen. Something had to be done.


After dinner that night, Devon called a group meeting.

"People, we have a problem and I don't like it" Devon said. This got everyone's attention. "Look, everyone has obviously heard of the argument between Julia and Alonzo. Now, first of all, that is THEIR business and no-one else's." Devon paused for emphasis. "Secondly, even though I personally don't like the way that Alonzo broke up with Julia" she looked pointedly at Alonzo while saying this, "his concerns are his. And thirdly, Julia's loyalty is not in question."

"Devon, you are blind", shouted Alonzo. "Julia has manipulated us all. She is a traitor!!"

Devon said, "Alonzo, you have no basis for that. If you don't love Julia anymore, then that is your problem. However, her loyalty is not in question!"

"Bullshit!!" Alonzo replied. "She is evil and does not deserve to be part of this group."

Julia who was quietly listening to Alonzo's outburst could not believe her ears. What the hell happened, she wondered. She shouted at Alonzo. "Look, Alonzo, you don't love me anymore. Fine! But don't you dare question my loyalty. You of all people know the trauma I went through. Now, just back off!!"

Everyone then started talking at once. Devon quickly took control of the situation. She shouted, "People, please calm down." She pointedly make eye contact with everyone in the group as she continued, saying "everyone in this group has to decide for themselves whom they trust or don't trust. Alonzo's views are his own. But I can tell you here and now that I trust Julia implicitly." She paused a few moments and then said, "OK, people, lets break it up."

Everyone went her own way, muttering amongst themselves.

Julia went up to Devon and said, "thanks, Devon. Your trust means a lot to me."

"Julia, you have earned my trust and it will not be freely dismissed. Now, get some sleep. You look tired."

Julia nodded her thanks to Devon and went to her tent. Alonzo had already moved out and had set up another tent. She could not believe what was happened. How could Alonzo have fallen out of love with her so quickly. Julia knew that it took her a long time to truly love and trust Alonzo. Throughout her life, relationships never came easy. Julia was too much of a giver and not enough of a taker. But, with Alonzo, it had felt so right.

Julia cried herself to sleep.


At about 3am that morning, Alonzo sneaked out of camp. He headed southward until reaching a cliff, and then headed east. After walking for another half an hour he came across a few tents. Without hesitation, he went straight into the larger tent. A few hours later, he returned to camp.


At breakfast time, everyone was still feeling strange about the situation with Julia and Alonzo. However, most realised that Devon was right. Everyone had to make up their own decision. They all had grown to trust Julia and just because her lover did not love or trust her anymore, should not impact upon their own judgement.

Alonzo and Julia sat at different ends of the Biodome. Alonzo just stared at Julia. This made Julia feel very uncomfortable. She couldn't take it. She went up to Alonzo and said, "Look, Alonzo, can't be civil towards eachother."

"Get out of my face" shouted Alonzo. "I don't want anything to do with you. And I'll tell you now. If I am sick, I would rather die than let you treat me. Now, piss off."

Alonzo got up and left the Biodome. Julia left the Biodome soon after.


That afternoon, Alonzo tried to convince the other members of the group, that Julia was a traitor. Alonzo was getting very frustrated, as most of the people were not convinced. He would show them, he promised.


Connection (2/3)
by Sabrina Sestito

That night, at about 3am, Alonzo once again left camp and went into the tent located southeast of their camp. He returned a couple of hours later.


The next morning, Alonzo wanted to speak to Devon about Julia. However, in the distance, Alonzo saw Julia enter Walman's tent. Walman's arm still needed treatment.

This was his opportunity, thought Alonzo. Alonzo quickly crossed the camp and entered Julia's tent. He looked everywhere for something to incriminate her. She was a traitor and he was going to prove it.

Alonzo absently put his hand into his jacket's pocket and pulled out a transmission device. It was the same type that Julia had used to communicate with Reilly. He absently put it under Julia's bed.

Alonzo continued his search and then came across the transmission device. "Yes", he shouted. "I was right. Julia is a traitor."

Alonzo ran out of Julia's tent and went to find Devon. He found her looking at maps.

"Devon", he shouted. "Julia is a traitor and I can prove it." He held up the transmission device.

"Where did you find this, Alonzo", queried Devon.

"It was under Julia's bed. I told you. She is a traitor."

"Alonzo, did you really think that Julia would leave such an incriminating piece of device under her bed?"

"She could have dropped it, Devon", replied Alonzo. "Why don't you believe me?"

"Because, firstly I don't think that Julia is that stupid. And secondly, I trust Julia."

"Fine, Devon", shouted Alonzo. "Its your neck." Alonzo stormed out of the tent.


That night, once again at about 3 am, Alonzo left camp and handed southeast. However, this time, he did not return.


The next morning, everyone was in the Biodome having breakfast. Devon, who was sitting with Danziger, felt sorry for Alonzo. She told Danziger about their fight.

Danziger said, "Look, Adair, Alonzo is just so angry. I am just as surprised as you are about it. He will calm down."

"Maybe you're right, John", Devon said. "I just don't like what is happening."

"It will be OK. You will see", reassured Danziger.

"I hope so" replied Devon. "By the way, have you seen Alonzo this morning?"

"Now, you mention it, no, I have not seen him. I will go and check his tent". Danziger left the Biodome.

Devon got up and asked several people whether they had seen Alonzo. Julia, who was sitting with the Morgans, also said that she had not seen him.

Danziger returned to the Biodome and said that Alonzo was not in his tent.

"OK, everyone, let's not panic", Devon said. "Alonzo obviously just needs some time to himself. Lets get on with our chores." Devon saw the concern in Julia's eyes.


That evening, Alonzo still had not returned. Devon was beginning to worry. She said to Danziger and Julia, "Look, Alonzo could not have gone far. All the vehicles are here. First thing tomorrow morning, we will go and look for him."

"We should go now", Julia said. "He could be injured."

"Julia, it is too late for us to do anything tonight" Devon replied. "We will look for him the first thing in the morning. Now, get some sleep."

As Julia walked to her tent, Devon turned to Danziger and said, "John, I'm worried. Do you think that Julia could be right? Could Alonzo be injured?"

"Talk your own advice, Adair. We can't do anything until its morning. Get some sleep."

"Thanks, John", replied Devon, as she headed towards her own tent.


At the crack of dawn the next morning, the Eden Group formed several search parties, consisting of three to four people. Devon and Danziger decided to go with Julia, who they could see, had not slept at all that night. They took a southerly direction.

After about 40 minutes, they encountered a cliff. They weren't sure whether to go east or west. Julia said that she wanted to try east.

Devon said, "OK, Julia, I'll go with you, while Danziger tries West."

"Devon, if you don't mind, I would rather go by myself. I need the time to think."

Devon looked worriedly at Danziger. "OK Julia", Devon said as she turned back to Julia. "But, please keep your gear on and let us know immediately if you find Alonzo."

"OK", Julia said, as she headed east.


After about 30 minutes, Julia could see two tents in the distance. She contacted Devon and told her what she had found.

Devon said to her, "Wait until we get there. Don't do anything stupid."

"Devon, I can't wait till you get it. I am going in now". Julia closed her gear before Devon could object.

Julia slowly crept up to the smaller tent and looked inside. There were two cots in the tent and nothing else. She then went to the larger tent. She carefully peered inside. There were two people standing with their backs to her. They were standing above a table where a third person was lying restrained.

As one of the standing people moved, she got a clearer view of the person on the table. It was Alonzo!! She wanted to bolt into the tent to help him, but she restrained herself. She slowly and reluctantly moved back, straight into another person who was standing behind her. She cried out and tried to get away, but the person who grabbed her was too strong.

The person who grabbed her called out to those inside and said, "Look what I found!"

The two people inside the tent came out. She did not recognise either of them.


Devon and Danziger were going at fast as they could go towards where Julia had found Alonzo. They knew that Julia would not wait for them.


"Dr Heller, its so good to see you again", one of the men said sarcastically. "I am so happy that you could join us."

"What have you done to Alonzo", Julia cried.

"My dear, I have not done anything to him, as yet. But, don't you worry your pretty little head about it." The man then said to the woman holding Julia, "bring her inside."

Julia was mercilessly dragged into the large tent.

As she entered the tent, Julia got a better look at Alonzo. He was unconscious and looked very drawn. "What have you done to him", Julia shouted.

"Now, Dr. Heller behave yourself" the man said to her. "I am Dr. Walker and I send you regards from Reilly."

Julia just stood there, not moving.

"Reilly sent me to find you. He told me your whole story and showed me the recordings of your VR sessions with him."

"What", Julia screamed, "he recorded those sessions?"

"Of course. Reilly is no fool."

Julia did not know what to say. She decided to change the track of the conversation. "What have you done to Alonzo?"

"Dr Heller, we would never do anything to harm our Terrian dream walker, now would we?", Dr Walker replied.

Julia simply looked at him.

"Yes, Dr Heller, we know that Mr Solace here is able to communicate with the Terrians. It is a fact that you somehow thought was not important for Reilly to know. I wonder why this is so?"

Julia remained silence.

"We know why", Walker shouted. "It is because you and he are lovers!!"

"You are crazy! How could I ever love a sleepjumper !"

"Don't you dare deny it!", shouted Walker. "You are a liar and a traitor. You don't deserve to live."

Julia said, " but I .."

"Be quiet Dr Heller!! This information came from Mr Solace, himself." He looked at Alonzo.

Julia did not believe him. She said "that's crap, Walker. Alonzo would never tell you anything!!"

"That's where you are wrong!" Walker went on to explain. "As my scouts were trying to find your group, they came across Mr Solace here, a few days ago. They brought him to me. As expected, he would not divulged your location and so I injected him with a truth serum." Walker saw the look of concern on Julia's face. He continued, pacing around her as he spoke. "Initially, all I wanted to know was what your location was. Reilly still wants the Adair boy. Mr Solace told me how you lied to Reilly about his pineal gland. Reilly has not forgotten this, by the way. Anyway, as we were talking about this, Mr Solace told me how the Terrians used his image to convince you to not operate on the boy. Upon querying this, Mr Solace told me about his own connection with the Terrians. As you can imagine, I was completely in shock. I informed Reilly straight away." Walker just stood in front of Julia and stared at her. Julia defiantly looked at him.

Walker continued saying, "Well, when I queried Mr Solace about why he thought that you never mentioned that fact to Reilly, he said that it most probably due to the fact that you and he were becoming very close. I asked Mr Solace what has happened since, and he told me that you and he had become lovers. So, Dr Heller", shouted Walker in Julia face, "don't you dare deny it!"

Julia did not know what to say. She wanted to deny it, but she knew that Walker would not believe her. "OK, Walker. You are right. But, you now have me. Let him go. He is of no use to you."

"You are wrong once again, Dr Heller. I don't want you. You are a traitor." Walker paused. He then continued, saying "Mr Solace, on the other hand, is able to communicate with the Terrians. They have not altered his DNA. We need to know how this is possible. Reilly stills wants to control his planet."

"No, Walker", Julia shouted, "Alonzo is no use ..."

"Shut up, Dr Heller", Walker interrupted.

At that moment, Alonzo stirred. His eyes fluttered opened.

Julia struggled free of the woman holding her, and ran to him, "Alonzo are you alright?" The woman quickly grabbed Julia again and held her tight.

"Julia, where are we?", Alonzo cried as he struggled to loosen his restraints.

Walker came over to the table and said, "Mr Solace. Did you have a good rest?"

"Who are you?" shouted Alonzo as he struggled to loosen his restraints.

"He works for Reilly", Julia explained.

"Let me out of here!" cried Alonzo. The man on the other side of the table held Alonzo down.

"I don't think so", Walker said sarcastically to Alonzo. "However, it does seem that the BRW18 has worn off."

"Walker, are you mad?", Julia shouted. "That drug has been banned from the Space Stations for many years. It is very risky as a mind control drug as it can cause irreparable damage to the liver."

Walker said, "I am not stupid, Dr Heller. I examined Mr Solace very carefully before we injected him. It was my judgement that he was not at risk. And besides, if his liver was damaged, he would still be alive and I could still use him to determine how he communicates with the Terrians."

"Walker, you are crazy. I will never help you", shouted Alonzo.

"You really don't have a choice Mr Solace. Now, shut up!" Walker then turned to Julia and said "Furthermore, the mind control was only a small part of his task. He was convinced by us that you were a traitor and that you could not be trusted. Everynight, for three nights, he returned to this camp and reported his progress. On the third night, we felt that it was time to move on. His connection to the Terrians is more important."

Once Alonzo realised what he had done he tried desperately to get up. The man on the other side of the table held him down. Alonzo cried out to Julia, "I'm sorry Julia. Please forgive me. I love you."

Walker nodded to the man who was holding Alonzo down. The man took a sedaderm out of a bag lying on the floor and injected Alonzo. Alonzo lost consciousness.

Julia just stared at Walker. She struggled, but was unable to release the woman's grip. Walker stared at Julia and said "Don't worry, Dr Heller. I have not forgotten about you. You are a traitor and you will be punished appropriately. Take Dr Heller to the other tent", Walker said to the woman holding Julia, "and you", looking to the man looking after Alonzo, "take Mr Solace to the vehicle. I am sure that Adair and her group can not be too far behind."

The man guarding Alonzo, undid Alonzo's restraints, bound Alonzo's hands, put Alonzo over his shoulder and took him outside.


Connection (3/3)
by Sabrina Sestito

A few moments later, Devon and Danziger approached the two tents. From their vantage point, they could not see any movement. They crept towards the smaller tent. There, they saw Julia being bounded by a woman. After nodding to Devon, both Devon and Danziger went into the tent. They knocked out the woman and freed Julia from her bounds.

"Hurry, we have to help Alonzo", shouted Julia as soon as her mouth bound was taken off. She ran towards the other tent.

Unfortunately, Walker had seen Devon and Danziger enter the smaller tent. He had already jumped into the vehicle and was already driving away with an unconscious Alonzo and the other man.

"Oh no", cried Julia as she saw the vehicle drive away. She collapsed onto the floor.

"Julia, what happened? Who were those people?" Devon asked, as she dropped to the floor besides Julia.

"They work for Reilly!!", Julia cried. Julia saw the anger in Devon's eyes. "They took Alonzo so that they can learn how Alonzo communicates with the Terrians. We have got to find him."

"But Julia, how do they know about Alonzo's connection with the Terrians?" queried Danziger.

Julia told them the whole story as Walker as told her. She told them about the truth serum and the mind control drug known as BRW18.

"Well, that does explain Alonzo's behaviour", Devon said. "Now, it is time to go back to camp. We need to work out a plan of attack."

"No", cried Julia. "We need to go after Alonzo now. Who knows where Walker will take him."

"Julia, we need to get some supplies", Danziger said. "Don't worry, we will find him."

Julia looked up at him and nodded. Both women got up and went back to the Biodome.


Meanwhile, Walker was watching the three from a nearby hill. When he saw them leave, he drove back to his camp. They would never think of looking for them here, he thought to himself. As Walker was driving back, he did not notice that Alonzo had awaken. Alonzo grabbed the wheel of the vehicle, causing the vehicle to smash into a tree. All three were thrown from the vehicle.

As Alonzo came too, he felt very queasy. He had a concussion, he thought. He could not protect himself after being thrown from the vehicle due to his bound hands. He tried to get up, but could not. He looked around and saw a man on the ground. It was the man helping Walker. The man's neck was at an awkward angle. Alonzo was sure that it was broken. Where was Walker, Alonzo wondered as he continued looking around. Alonzo once again tried to get up but the whole planet was spinning. He collapsed onto the ground.

Walker then appeared. He was uninjured. Walker looked at him and was very displeased. In anger, he kicked Alonzo in the stomach. "Don't do that again, Mr. Solace or you will regret it." Walker then dragged Alonzo back to the campsite.

However, Alonzo did not regret his actions. One man was dead and the vehicle was destroyed beyond repair. They were stuck there.

That night, Alonzo was drugged, tied and gagged in order to prevent him from escaping. Walker knew that giving Alonzo more drugs was dangerous, but he also knew that he needed some sleep.


Upon returning to camp, Devon called a group meeting. She told them about Alonzo, Reilly's people, the truth serum and the mind control drug. She said that at the crack of dawn search parties would once again search for Alonzo. Most people went up to Julia and offered their help. Some even apologised for doubting her.

The next morning search parties were once again organised. The whole search pattern was monitored by Yale who remained at the Biodome with the children. After an unsuccessful search, the group returned to the Biodome, dejected and disappointed. Julia, in particular, as expected, was the most disheartened. She did not eat her dinner that night and went straight to bed. Everyone knew that she would not sleep a wink.


That same day, Alonzo was once again strapped to the table in the big tent. Walker entered the tent at about mid-morning. He went up to the table and said, "well, Mr Solace, I think that we need to start our experiments. I would have preferred to do them at my laboratory, but you have prevented this. So, we will just have to make do."

Alonzo did not say one word.

Walker then prepared himself for an operation. Walker wanted to check Alonzo's pineal gland in order to see if it was abnormal in any way. After giving Alonzo more drugs, Walker performed the operation. He discovered that the pineal gland was normal. Walker was disappointed by this. Reilly told him, that he was certain that the power of communication with the Terrians started at the pineal gland.

After the operation, Walker did notice that it took a long time for Alonzo to come around. The drugs must be taking their toil, he reasoned. He needed to keep Alonzo alive until he found out, how and why the sleep jumper was able to communicate with the Terrians.


The next day, Uly Adair awoke with a start. He ran to find his mother. "Mum, mum" he cried.

Devon heard her son calling and ran to him. "What's wrong, honey? Did you have a bad dream."

"No, mum. Its Alonzo. The Terrians just told me that Alonzo is in great danger."

The others in the group heard Uly's comment. In particular, Julia was devastated.

Devon said to her son, "did the Terrians tell you where Alonzo was?"

"No", exclaimed Uly. "They simply told me that he was in danger."

"Are you sure", queried Julia.

"Yes, I'm sure", replied Uly. "I'm sorry, Julia."

"Its OK, Uly. Thanks for trying", Julia said as she walked towards her tent.


Later that day, Walker ran several other tests on Alonzo. All of them showed nothing usual. He was getting angrier by the minute. Besides that, Alonzo was getting weaker. The constant tests and drugs were affecting him. Walker needed to be careful. He did not want to loose Alonzo just yet.


At about lunchtime that same day, Julia decided that she needed to get away. She needed time to think. The group had no idea where Alonzo was or where to look for him. Julia told Devon that she was taking the ATV. Even though Devon did not like this, she did not stop Julia from leaving.

After leaving the camp, for some reason, she headed South. She then decided that she should go back to Walker's camp. Maybe, there was a clue there, she reasoned. As she got closer to the camp, she had a sudden insight which told her to leave the ATV and walk the rest of the way. She did so.

As she walked towards the tents, she saw movement. She quickly dived behind a large rock. I must inform the others, Julia thought. Damn. She forgot her gear! Oh well, she would have to deal with this herself.

As she got closer, she saw Walker leave the large tent with Alonzo and enter the small tent. Julia's heart went out to Alonzo. Alonzo looked so drawn and sickly. Alonzo could not even walk by himself as Walker was half carrying and half pushing Alonzo into the small tent. Julia crept up to the small tent and peered inside. Walker put Alonzo onto one of the cots. He then tied Alonzo to the cot and injected him with more drugs. Walker then left Alonzo and went back to the larger tent.

Julia quickly entered the small tent. Alonzo was unconscious. He had a fever and his heart was racing. Hold on, she thought. She quickly untied him. She tried to pick up him up, but he was a dead weight. She put Alonzo over her shoulder and tried to walk. She stumbled several times, but she managed to get outside. Her legs were going to give out any second. She needed to get Alonzo as far away as possible. All she needed to do, was to get Alonzo behind some cover. She could then plan her next move. Julia stumbled a little further away. She dragged Alonzo behind some rocks. She quickly retraced her steps so that no path could be seen. She hid behind the rock as well.


A few minutes later, Walker exited the big tent. He said, "OK, Mr Solace. That's enough rest for now. Time to go back to work." As he entered the small tent, he saw no sign of Alonzo. He exited the tent and looked around. There was no way that Alonzo could have gotten far. "That is enough games for now, Mr Solace. Its time for work." Walker began searching around the campsite.

As Walker got closer to where Alonzo and Julia were hiding, Alonzo suddenly started moaning. Julia put her hand over his mouth to try to keep him quiet. Walker was a whisker away. "OK, Mr Solace, you can stay where you are! You will soon be freezing," cried Walker.

Walker then went back into the big tent.

Walker was right, thought Julia. Alonzo was not dressed warmly and it was getting very cold. She needed to get him to the ATV. But how, she wondered. She dragged Alonzo a little way and when she was out of sight of the camp she tried to pick him up. She was able to carry him a little way, but it was not far enough. She stumbled and they both fell to the ground.

Julia then tried to wake up Alonzo. Alonzo was still moaning.

"Alonzo, Alonzo, wake up. I need you to help me", she cried.

Alonzo did not respond. He continued to moan.

Julia put both on her hands onto Alonzo's face and said "Alonzo, please, help me."

Alonzo became slowly aware of another presence. It was Walker, he thought. He lashed out at him and screamed, "get away from me!" Julia was knocked backwards.

"Alonzo, no, its Julia", Julia said as she tried to calm him down.

Recognition was beginning to come to Alonzo, but the damage had been done. Walker heard Alonzo's scream and was coming towards them.

"Come on Alonzo", Julia screamed, "get up. We need to get to the ATV." Alonzo managed to get to his feet and ran a little way. He collapsed just short of the ATV. "Come on Alonzo, just a little further." However, Julia saw that Alonzo was completely out. She dragged him the last of couple feet to the ATV and put him in the back. She then climbed in, held onto Alonzo with one hand, and drove away.

Walker screamed after her, "We'll get you, Heller, if its the last thing we do. You will die running!"


Julia quickly drove back to camp. She needed to get Alonzo into the Medtent. She could feel his heart pounding under her hand.

As Julia entered the camp, the others saw that she had Alonzo with her. They helped Julia carry Alonzo into the Medtent. Julia put on her Diaglove and went to examine Alonzo. Her face fell.

Devon, who was still in the Medtent said, "Julia, what's wrong. Will he be OK."

Julia looked at her and said "His injuries are extensive, but it is the various drugs in his system which need to be filtered out. Because of this, I can not use any drug to speed up his recovery. This will take time. All I can do is give him the nutrients he needs." Julia looked at Alonzo and then looked back at Devon. "But, he will be OK."

"Good", said Devon. She left the Medtent.


After three days, Alonzo had still not regain consciousness. Julia was beginning to worry. She tried to wake him on the fourth day.

Alonzo started moaning, as Julia tried to wake him. She said to him "come on, Alonzo. Wake up. Its time to wake up."

Alonzo thought that he was still in Walker's hands. He pushed Julia away.

"Hey, Alonzo, why did you do that," cried Julia.

Alonzo finally became aware of his surrounding. "Julia", he cried. "Is that you?"

"Well, how many doctors do you have, Mr Solace?", Julia said to him as she came into his field of view. She smiled at him and bent down to give him a kiss. "Are you feeling better, fly boy."

Alonzo could not help but smile at that. "Yes, I am feeling better. I still have a headache." Alonzo became serious and asked, "what happened to Walker?"

"He got away. When I rescued you I just wanted to get you to safety." Julia looked downtrodden. "He is still out there, Alonzo. And now, Reilly knows about you and will come after you as well."

"Hey, it is OK, Julia. We will be OK." Alonzo reached for Julia and gave her a kiss.

"How much do you remember", queried Julia as she got up.

"I don't remember a lot. Only small snippets." Alonzo paused a few moments and then said. "I do remember hurting you, Julia. I'm sorry."

"It was not your fault, Alonzo."

"I know", replied Alonzo, "but I still hurt you. Do you forgive me?"

"There is nothing to forgive", Julia said.

"Does that mean that you still love me", asked Alonzo.

Julia was surprised by his question. "I never stopped" was Julia's response.

-The End-


Dr Sabrina Sestito
Aeronautical and Maritime Research Laboratory
506 Lorimer St., Port Melbourne, Victoria 3207, AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 9626 7271, Fax (03) 9646 7084




This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.