BREAKING AWAY
By
Tressa Millick


Timeline: Years after
Author's E-Mail: tmillick@students.wisc.edu


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
Well, here's my first attempt at fanfic. :) I hope you all enjoy it and I'd like to give thanks to Claire, Nic, Deb, and Inga for all their encouragements and suggestions. Thanks, you guys!! :)

This story developed after watching "The Boy Who Would Be Terrian King". I was fascinated with what *may* happen in the E2 future. And, this, of course, is my spin as to what led up (in the future) to the events in TBWWBTK. Enjoy! :)


Breaking Away
by Theresa Millick

The sun was just reaching its zenith when the doors to the Broderick O'Neill Memorial Hall were forcibly thrown open. A young man with curly auburn hair strode out with an angry expression. Just as the hall doors had finally stilled, an older woman pushed them open.

"Uly! How could you storm out of that meeting? It's very important!" Devon Adair called out as she attempted to catch up with her son.

Stopping in his tracks, Ulysses Adair spun around and faced his mother. Waiting patiently for her to catch up with him, he gazed upon her elegant face. Her determination shone through her eyes as she finally reached him.

"You certainly walk fast!" breathlessly said Devon as she stopped and clutched her sides.

Amused, Uly responded, "I know. You told me a dozen times on our journey to New Pacifica to slow down."

"Very funny!" replied Devon as she grimaced at the reminder.

Companionably, the mother and son duo began to walk towards the welcoming building that housed the Grendler Bar and Grille and the Hotel New Pacifica. Contemplating her son's strong profile, Devon smiled secretly--knowing that her decision had been right and that G889 had fulfilled its expectations.

Taking a deep breath, Devon confronted the issue at hand and asked, "Why did you walk out of that meeting, Uly?"

Dropping all levity, Uly quietly explained, "The Terrians allowed us to live here on certain conditions and we have lived by those rules for the past fourteen years. We don't have the right to force our will upon the Terrians or the land," quietly explained Uly.

"Uly, I'm not saying that we should force our will upon the Terrians, it's just that we need more land and the minerals in the ground, as well as tapping into the underground water system. The colony needs to survive."

Stopping abruptly, Uly turned around in time for Devon to smack head-first into him. Laughing, Uly righted his mother and replied, "We don't need those things. It's the Land Appropriation Committee who wants it. Specifically, the Expansionist Party and Max Taggert. *They* want to control the planet and enslave the Terrians."

"The L.A.C. wants to work things out peacefully, which is why they graciously rescheduled the meeting two days from now. Uly, I know you hate Max and the Expansionists, but they *are* the majority. The colonists chose Max and the others to represent them. You have to be there. The Terrians and the colonists depend on you. You are the link between the Terrians and humans," softly said Devon as she glanced away from Uly's face towards the horizon.

"You don't sound convinced, Mother. Do you really believe that the Expansionists want to resolve things peacefully?"

"Just be there, Uly," quietly replied Devon as her face tightened.

"I will be there. I'll make certain that the Terrians are treated fairly. Just like you'll make sure that the colonists are treated fairly as well," evenly replied Uly.

Uneasy at her son's tone, Devon said, "Keep an open-mind. Don't let your anger control you, Uly. Just hear them out."

"Don't worry, I will," replied Uly as he began to once again walk towards the restaurant.

Sighing wearily, Devon watched her son enter the dark Grendler Bar and Grille and wondered where her sweet, little boy had gone.

Two days later, rain was pouring outside as Devon Adair was reviewing some papers that Morgan Martin had handed her earlier. Rubbing her eyes wearily over the endless mass of meticulous details that the paper provided, Devon stood up and luxuriously stretched in front of her handmade desk. Devon walked towards the spacious kitchen as she worked the kinks out of her system. Pouring herself a hot cup of coffee, Devon sat down in one of the kitchen table's chairs. Bemusedly, Devon ran her fingers over one of the carved filigree arms and was startled when the back door opened suddenly and a cold draft blew in. Silhouetted against the dark gray sky was Ulysses Adair.

Rising from her chair, Devon worriedly asked, "Uly, are you okay? Is something wrong? Has something happened?"

"The Expansionists are saying that the Terrians are a threat. They are also saying that anyone who has been altered by the Terrians are inhuman," angrily replied Uly.

Stalking into the kitchen, Uly began to quickly pace and said, "You were wrong, Mother! The Expansionists *don't* want to listen to anyone else *but* themselves! It is all or nothing for them! Taggert is helping the Expansionists by egging on the L.A.C. *and* the colonists! They are telling the others that we don't need permission from the Terrians! That humans *own* the planet and that the Terrians have no rights and that they are just *savages*! This is a *direct* violation of the National Land Treaty!"

Calmly, Devon replied, "Uly, that isn't what the Expansionist Party and the Land Appropriation Committee is saying. I'm sure of it. And if it is, the Justice Committee will look into your complaints. If they are warranted, the Expansionists and the L.A.C. will be punished. If you feel so strongly about this, petition the L.A.C. and inform the Justice Committee."

"Are you *blind*? Are you *deaf*? Can't you hear them threatening the colony?! They are *just* like the Council!"

"Uly, they are NOT the Council and this will be resolved peacefully! The Justice Committee will solve the problems," Devon replied forcibly as she came to the end of her patience.

Looking down at his mother's cold face, Uly snarled, "Peacefully?! Peacefully?! The Expansionists have been making threats against the Terrians for years! It is now that they feel that they are in power and they are becoming more vocal! You call that peaceful?! The J.C. *can* do NOTHING! They have NO power!"

"Uly, I'm sure that the Expansionist Party has a good reason for what they are doing. Have the Terrians been attacked? No, they haven't. The Expansionists are just bluffing. You shouldn't hurl accusations that you can't back up and the Justice Committee is doing everything in their power," calmly said Devon as Uly angrily sat down in a Terrian squat.

Turning to look out at the stormy seascape from her bay window, Devon bitterly said, "Uly, you have always rushed into things without all the facts. It sounds to me as if you jumped to conclusions=85*and* that you didn't stay long enough at the meeting. If you want to fully represent the Terrians and the healed Syndrome children, you have to start acting like an adult. You can't go around putting your agenda in front of everyone else's. There is such a thing known as compromise, you know."

Rising up to his full height in one fluid graceful movement, Uly furiously replied, "Bluffing? I don't think they are bluffing! The J.C. doing everything in their power? Then why have so many cases been put on hold for years? The Northern Settlement is STILL being disputed after TEN years!!! This is the *Terrians'* land! We promised to protect them, as did you. There is no compromise in this situation! It is all or nothing! And what's this about not putting your agenda in front of anyone else's? Isn't that what you did? It was your sheer force of will and determination that got us here!! You put *your* agenda in front of the safety of one-hundred and forty-eight families *as well* as the Colony Ship's *and* the Advance Ship's crew. Let's talk about putting your agenda in front of everyone else's!"

"Don't change the subject! That has nothing to do with this situation! Uly, *you* are beginning to sound like Taggert and the rest of the Expansionists. Don't even try comparing *our* government with the Council. They are two totally different entities. We established the Land Appropriation Committee. They're there to help us, not destroy us. And don't you dare bring in the Northern Settlement dispute in this conversation. It isn't the Justice Committee's fault," Devon warned.

Crossing over to stand in front of his mother, Uly leaned into her face and softly said, "By threatening the Terrians and those healed by the Terrians, the L.A.C. is destroying us *and* the planet. They do not follow the orders of the people, they are now following the orders of the Expansionists. I will not stand by and watch the L.A.C. and the Expansionists rape this world. Look at what they've already done to the Northern Settlement. People are fighting over the Upper Morgan River. Don't you understand what they are doing? They may not look like the Council, but they sure feel like it!"

Reaching up to cradle her son's face in her hands, Devon replied, "I understand, Uly, but you don't *know* the Council. You've never dealt with them. All they are to you are stories. Just like Earth. You do not have the right nor the knowledge to compare the territorial government with the Council. The Council are like the monsters you would describe when you were younger. Our government is not oppressive nor corrupt. Just because someone has an opposing view from yours does not mean that they are wrong or evil."

Turning his face sharply away, Uly walked over to the swinging kitchen door. Gazing out into the darkly gray horizon, Uly watched the raindrops plop into the moist soil.

"I don't have your skill in diplomacy, Mother. I don't have your patience. And I certainly do not have the stomach to talk to Expansionist scum. I may not really know what the Council are really like, but I *was* a part of the Advance Team. I went through the same things you did and I have decided that I will handle things in my own way. It's best for me, the Terrians, and the others," quietly replied Uly.

Quickly walking towards her son, Devon reached out and laid a hand on Uly's shoulder. Turning around, Uly embraced his mother and silently held her.

"I don't expect you to be like me, Uly. I want you to be your own person, but I don't think you should do anything rash. You're my son and I don't want anything bad to happen to you," softly said Devon as she buried her face into his jacket.

Disengaging himself from his mother's embrace with a hopeless look on his face, Uly stepped out into the pouring rain.

"I'm not a child anymore. I don't have the Syndrome and I will not have a relapse. You have to let me go, Mother."

"Uly, I know that you are an adult, but as the leader of this colony, I forbid you to do anything in retaliation against the L.A.C. or the Expansionists. If you do, I will have to report you to the Justice Committee," replied Devon determinedly.

Recognizing the steely undertone, Uly knew deep in his heart that his mother had discarded everything that he said in favor of keeping her son safe.

"You don't understand. I doubt you ever will," Uly replied sadly as he began to walk away from his home.

"Uly!" desperately called Devon, "Come back here! Do you hear me, Uly?! Come back here right this instant!"

Uly stopped and turned around. Taking in the sight of his mother and his home, Uly replied, "I love you," and disappeared beneath the ground.

"Uly!" screamed Devon as she rushed out into the rain, "Come back here!"

Digging uselessly into the wet soil, Devon's body silently heaved with heart-broken cries. Finally giving up, Devon curled herself into a ball and rocked herself in an attempt to drive away the hurt.

Several hours later, Devon picked herself up off of the mud and futilely attempted to wipe her tears away. Her face smeared with caked dirt and hardened salt trails, Devon walked to her looming home.

-The End- or just begining


Send all comments, critiques, and suggestions to me (Tressa) at tmillick@students.wisc.edu.



This text file was ran through PERL script made by Andy. Original text file is available in Andy's Earth 2 Fan Fiction Archive.