Was Winter When You Came But I Refused Your Spring Category: Books » Harry Potter Censor: PG Genre: Angst/Romance Reviews: 16 Author: kellie1vy Font Size: Bigger (+) - Smaller (-) A/N: I was bored, and this idea crawled into my head and refused to leave until I wrote this. A short standalone fic from Ginny's POV. To everyone who’s read Hogwarts, A (Revised) History, the next chapter will be up as soon as I finally decide on a topic! Don't worry, this hasn't distracted me from H(R)H at all. =) Oh. And this is basically unbeta-read because I wrote the whole thing in like ten minutes and was too lazy to send it to LilyAnne before I posted it on FFNet, so don’t kill me if there’s any spelling or grammatical errors. ::shrugs apologetically:: Disclaimer: I own nothing but the plot. But Harry, Ginny, Hermione, Ron, Voldemort, Hogwarts and any other character or place mentioned in this fic belongs to her. ::helpfully points to J.K. Rowling:: It Was Winter When You Came Home but I Refused Your Spring... “Ginny.” I knew who it was. Knew it without even having to turn around. Harry Potter. The person with the messy black hair and green eyes. The person who I’d become infatuated with at age ten. The person who I’d finally managed to form a relationship with, romance-wise, just a little while before he went. Just a month or so before he left me. Yeah. Left. He left. He left the school, he left England, and most of all, he left me. He just disappeared during his seventh year at Hogwarts, accompanied by Ron and Hermione. God, I was worried sick. I don’t know how many times I collapsed on my bed, screaming and crying and wanting to die because my big brother, my friend and the goddamn object of my affections who I finally started up a relationship with not two months before he did a disappearing act were gone. I knew that the professors knew where they were, because they never set up a search party, never worried as much as the students did about their whereabouts. But I didn’t. I didn’t know where they were. I didn’t know if they were okay. I become a total wreck. I barely passed my sixth-year exams, and when seventh year approached, the number of days I skipped classes added up to about a month and a half. I was worried, so totally worried about them. But then, not surprisingly, my worry gradually formed into anger. How dare they leave me, without even a note or the occasional owl to at least know they were alive? It wasn’t fair! And then lying beneath the anger lay defeated bitterness . I became cold, hard and closed off. Not even Mum couldn’t get me to – to feel. Fred and George’s senses of humor times ten couldn’t have lifted a smile from me. But how could I feel? Ron, Hermione and Harry were gone. They were gone for so long. So long that I wondered - that everyone wondered - if they were dead. Three years. Three years without in contact with anyone. Well, I and a few others suspected that they probably owled Dumbledore every so often, but I'm talking personal matters here. Just two months ago from now, the big news was that Voldemort had been killed. And then, I knew what they had been doing for the last three years. And I should have been happy, should have been grateful – the three of them had defeated the Dark Lord. I did try. God, I really tried. And a spark of happiness finally revealed itself. But then two weeks passed, and the three of them still weren’t back yet. The process repeated itself, only much more quickly this time. Worry. Anger. Bitterness. But now Ron and Harry and Hermione were back. Finally back. I had seen them approaching the house from outside my bedroom window - I can't describe the onslaught of emotions I felt when I saw the fiery red hair, the bushy brown head, the tangled black rat's nest on the sidewalk. I was pulled into a churning sea of emotions - shock, relief, glee, and even hidden underneath it all, a glimmer of disappointment. Because I knew that Harry was going to come up here as soon as he was inside, to try and save his sorry ass from me ripping his stupid throat out. I would have to deal with him. And yes, I was right, he did. He came up and he was here. Here, as in right in front of me, in my room, right now. “Ginny,” he repeated. “Um. Hi.” Hi. Right. Three years worth of fear beyond description met up with a flimsy, nervous greeting. Wow. What incredible tact and finesse he possessed. Well, fine. Screw him. I hated him. Hated him for what he’d done to me. Hated him for being the hero of the wizarding world, but not having the goddamn time to send one little crappy owl to me, his girlfriend, for me to know that he was okay. Asshole. I hated him. “I hate you,” I said flatly. What a childish expression. But in this case, definitely an honest expression. And I’ve never been one to mince words. Just so everything was now up front. His face fell. “Er…I’m sorry, Ginny. I..." He looked down at his hands helplessly. "It's been a long time, hasn't it?" Well, no shit, Sherlock. "Yeah," I said. "It has." He sighed. "Look, Ginny, I didn’t mean to just, well leave like that. I would have liked to see you and talk to you and everything, but...er...well, you know -” “No, I don't know, Potter,” I spat out his name. “So why don't you tell me? Oh, no, wait, let me guess. You were too busy soaking up the “I’m-gonna-defeat-Voldemort-so-I’m-real-good-and-important” vibes that came from taking three years to find the Dark Lord that you never, ever had the time to write two sentences and send it off? Oh, of course not, that would take a whole three seconds. And Harry Potter’s too important to waste precious time like that on little people like me.” His eyes widened. “What – is that what you – Ginny. It’s not like that. I mean, well, it wasn't just about that, it was – well... It was just – ” Then he gave up on trying to defend himself and started pleading. Pathetic. I hated him. “Ginny, I am so sorry. I really am. Ginny, please, I’ll do whatever you want, just…just, I don’t know, Ginny, but I can still be good for you. I love you Ginny, I…” I stared at him coldly for a few seconds. And then I slowly shook my head and turned on my heel, walking out of the room. Leaving him pleading helplessly in vain behind me. And it should have been so sweet. Vindication for the anxiety-ridden girl who had cried herself to sleep every night, wondering where the wizarding world’s hero was, wondering if he was safe, wondering if he was – if he was dead. It should have been so sweet. Instead, I felt empty. Hollow, as if someone had carved out all of my insides. Well, I just was tired, that was it. Tired. It can be a tough job being me. A/N: ::blinks:: Well. That was certainly depressing. I got the idea from Everworld #9, Inside the Illusion. I’m sorry to all of you who love happy fairy-tale endings, but I’m in a sort of melancholy mood right now, and I like the way it turned out, which can't be said for some of my other fics. I was on the verge of giving it a cute little finish and changing the title to something stupid like It Was a Long Winter; You Came and Brought Spring but luckily I stopped myself just in time. ::shudders at the thought of a corny ending like that:: Anyway, ta-ta! Oh. And just a little note to those who are planning to click the “back” button on your browser right now and read another fic: What, so you’re mature enough to read, but you aren’t mature enough to review? ;) Review Story ( be a responsible reader and write a review) Title: Was Winter When You Came But I Refused Your Spring Name: Email: (optional) Review: If you feel that this entry violates any of the guidelines set by FanFiction.Net please click here to notify the staff.