- Text Size +

Story Notes:
Disclaimer: The characters used in this fan fiction are the creation and property of Universal and Amblin. They appear in my saga, not as pawns for profit, but as emissaries of entertainment. Earth 2, in my opinion, was laid to rest far before its time, but the indelible strength of the characters and soulful power of their potential futures echo forward into space, cyber space. May the journey continue forever, spelling out hope and aspiration for the dream of Eden that is not yet lost on Earth 1.

Rating: This story is rated PG-13, for adult situations, language and violence.


The Coveting of Eden

By: Raven Sedai

Chapter I: Tainted Windows into the Past

She sat alone, peering into the darkness that foreshadowed another day upon this planet. Another day that would build their tomorrows and usher in a new hope for all of mankind.

Julia’s dark blonde hair freed itself from her shoulders as the wind swirled about her solitary form. Sitting on the edge of the enormous mesa, seemingly high above the past, she stared out into the darkness, imagining the immense distance that they had traveled over the past year since landing upon this planet, twenty-two light years away from all they knew. They had come so far and had lost so much. “It has to be worth it . . . mankind’s second chance has to be worth all this,” she silently thought to herself, grimacing at the painful memories that had plagued their journey.

Eben’s death was still painfully fresh in her mind, and though there was little she could do to save her friend, she had never felt so helpless in her entire life, so out of control. Then there was Devon’s mysterious illness, which threatened to tear the already weakened Advance group apart for good. She looked absently down at the dirt beneath her feet, shifting it about. There was so much the usually together and in control Dr. Julia Heller did not know about this planet. She still did not know why the Terrians uncharacteristically helped her cure Devon. All she was sure of was that she could not have done it alone.

But that was more than a year ago, an adventure that seemed a lifetime away, buried in the sand. The Advance team was finally at New Pacifica, the place where they had hoped to build their futures. Julia smiled faintly at the growing community just below the mesa where she sat. It had sprung up so quickly, out of the dust. Many buildings now huddled together against the base of the great mesa they called “Arrow Point.” The hospital was the biggest of the buildings; the impressive three story structure seemed to tower above the other single level buildings.

Searching through the buildings, Julia tried to spot her small cabin. Sadness slowly crept through her blue eyes, eyes, which sparkled with pain. There was no light on, no one home waiting for her, just darkness. Cold and profound, the darkness had become her constant companion now that he was gone. Closing her eyes, she attempted to still her heart, which had begun to thump forcefully within her chest, but as the darkness overcame her sight, she could only see him. In truth, she came to the mesa because it helped her feel closer to him. Here, she felt close to the stars he loved, and his spirit seemed to permeate the countryside.

“Alonzo,” she whispered, seeing his smiling face in her mind’s eye. The wind began to stir again, and she could almost feel his loving touch against her body, filling her with warmth and light.

“Julia,” a voice called gently from behind her.

Startled by the sudden hand upon her shoulder, her eyes flew open as she turned to find True. “True, what are you doing here?”

“I followed you up here. I didn’t see you at dinner, and I went looking for you . . . .” the girl replied.

Standing to face the youth, Julia’s brow creased with concern. “You shouldn’t have done that, True. It’s dangerous outside the perimeter, especially with the tensions between the officials and the Terrians. How did you get past the zone alarms?”

“Julia, we have to get back,” True began with urgency. “It’s almost time for the night patrols . . . I was afraid you wouldn’t get back in time and . . . .”

“Oh Lord,” Julia exclaimed as she gazed at her chronometer, “let’s go.” She took True’s hand, and they both started down the mesa.

They scurried down the trail that hugged the side of the large mesa. “Damn it, we’re not gonna make it! I can’t believe I lost track of time,” Julia chided herself as she and True ran toward the south end of the New Pacifica perimeter wall, which stood against the mesa.

“If we get caught outside the perimeter . . . .” True’s frightened voice was cut off by Julia’s hand over her still moving mouth.

“Shhh,” Julia said into her ear, halting their sprint and pulling True into what was left of the nearby tree line.

Two sets of wide, frightened eyes watched as a sentry strolled by them on the other side of the invisible perimeter force field, which surrounded New Pacifica. Julia stared keenly at the triangular symbol on the soldier’s armband; it was the trademark of the all-powerful Station Government, whose long arm of power had stretched twenty-two light years into their lives. Unconsciously, Julia winced as she recalled the day the Colony ship had arrived. For unbeknownst to everyone, Advance and Colony alike, a large government ship had followed in the Colony ship’s wake. It descended out of the Heavens like a black cloud shielding the sun’s rays and casting an enormous shadow upon the then small town, dwarfing all those who stood frozen in fear watching its landing. Devon had been furious, the Stations intended on establishing their government upon G889, and there was little anyone could do about it. The Government ship carried a board of officials, an army of soldiers and an arsenal of weaponry. Julia shook her head when images of the soldiers unloading the massive ship reeled through her mind. There was no question; they were taking over, and it was painfully obvious that they’d use force to do it.

Their power and their arrogance scared Julia, and she wondered how much longer before the planet would start to fight back. The Station Government, which she knew was driven by the heart of the all-powerful Council, had already made it clear that they viewed the Terrians as a threat, a threat that they had to dispose of. Julia stared at the thick metal and stone foundation upon which the city had been built, evidence of the Government’s ignorant fear of the planet’s indigenous population. The officials had seen first hand what the creatures could do, and their first order of business was to move the already growing town onto a massive slab of metal and stone that dug into the earth at least one half meter. One thing was certain, with the man-made stone and multi-alloyed metal as a foundation, no Terrians would trespass upon what the Government had claimed as their land. The strange ground prevented the aliens from swimming through the Earth, burrowing home into the planet they called Mother.

The sentry paused in front of them to adjust his weapon harnessed at his shoulder. The noise of the metal being shifted about carried through the still night air and startled Julia back into the present. She turned and looked seriously into the eyes of a very worried True Danziger. “True, listen to me carefully. This sentry will not leave his sector, and this is the weakest sector in the grid. We have to re-enter here.” True nodded, understanding the gravity of the situation. “When he turns his back and starts back toward the town, I’m gonna deactivate the force field. As soon as I motion for you, you run like hell back to your cabin. Got it?” Julia said in the tone of an order rather than a question.

True nodded, her eyes wide with fear. “What about you?”

Julia’s eyes narrowed, grimacing at the thought. “I’m gonna distract him until you’re clear.”

“No, Julia, I won’t leave you!” True cried immediately upon realizing Julia’s plan.

Looking fondly at the young girl, Julia smiled as she realized that she was no longer a child. True had grown since their first meeting on the Advance ship that brought them here, and soon she would be a full-blown teenager with a strong spirit and the stubbornness of a Danziger. The entire Advance team had grown into a family, having journeyed across this, then unknown, planet together, and they had formed a bond among each other and with the planet that nothing would sever, not even the Government or the Council. Gently but firmly, Julia put her hands on the shoulders of the girl she thought of as a little sister or niece. Then, smiling tentatively, she said, “True, don’t worry about me. I’ve gotten myself out of stickier situations.” They both took a quick mental review of the trek that had brought them to New Pacifica. Danger and misfortune had been in abundance along the way. Laughing softly, the two looked at each other through knowing eyes, understanding only what an Advance team member could.

Throwing her arms around Julia, True hugged her earnestly. “Please be careful,” she said, but her voice was muffled by Julia’s shoulder.

“I will,” Julia assured her. “Are you ready?” At True’s hesitant nod, Julia crept stealthily up to the metal control pillar that stood against the energy field, which barred their entry into the town. She grimaced at the machinery that had helped make their new home a prison. Punching in a series of access codes, Julia watched the receding back of the sentry as he continued on his loop like a machine. Lifting her hand in a beckoning motion, she waved True on.

True did as Julia had instructed, looking over her shoulder as she passed her friend, who had already begun re-activating the field. Hurrying toward the sentry, Julia watched with relief as True disappeared behind the first set of buildings that marked the edge of the barren southern perimeter. Just as she had suspected, the sentry turned toward True’s direction, having heard or seen her retreat. Perimeter sentries were fitted with extra sensory visors that permitted night vision in addition to ultra sensitive hearing. He started toward the building behind which True had run.

Julia coughed loudly, drawing the soldier’s attention. “Halt!” he ordered. Quickly brandishing his weapon, he charged it as he approached Julia’s position.

Suddenly the night air seemed colder as Julia shivered where she stood, awaiting the sentry’s arrival. As he drew closer, the sentry removed his visor, and Julia got a clear view of his face for the first time. Their eyes met, and in the same moment that a large grin formed across the sentry’s face, a devastated expression formed on Julia’s. Immediately, she rebuked herself, knowing the dangerous situation that she had placed herself in.

“Well, well,” he said smugly as he powered down his magpro. “Dr. Heller, to what do I owe this visit? Did you reconsider my offer?”

Fear loomed over Julia like a dark cloud obscuring the moon’s light, but his arrogance seethed her, giving her courage to speak. “Dekkar, our last encounter left nothing to be desired, and I mean nothing,” she said boldly, attempting to walk away.

The sentry looked at her through narrowed eyes, forcefully grabbing her arm. “I’m not finished with you.” Before Julia could protest, he roughly flung her toward the energy field. Pinning her front to the inner field wall, he spread her legs apart.

“Are you insane? What the hell are you doing?” she cried through a surprised and trembling voice, attempting to hide the growing fear that was relentlessly welling within her.

The overconfident soldier smiled at Julia’s discomfort. “You know the law. No one is allowed near the perimeter after twenty hundred hours. It’s my duty to search your person to ensure that you do not possess any weaponry or devices that are meant to challenge the power of the Government.” His words were scripted, but his tone was not official.

A shiver ran through Julia’s spine, anticipating his unwelcome touch upon her. Face and hands pressed up against the invisible barrier, which she now felt was very tangible, Julia attempted to look at him, to challenge his authority. Unfortunately, Dekkar was substantially larger than Julia, and the force with which he pinned her to the barrier prevented even the slightest movement. She closed her eyes tightly as his probing hand made its way up her inner left pant leg. A bitter taste formed in her mouth, realizing that his touch was not quick and efficient but slow and lascivious.

Dekkar’s mouth began to water as his hand neared her buttocks, and in his lustful hunger, he grabbed at it with both hands. Julia cried out in shock. Then, feeling his restraining arm no longer on her back, she turned quickly and slapped him firmly across the jaw. Both were momentarily stunned, and Dekkar stood back, licking the blood that trickled forth from his lip. He glared at Julia, and before she found the strength to react, his entire body pushed her forcefully up against the perimeter wall. His large right hand gathered her tiny wrists above her head, incapacitating her arms, and his muscular thighs pinned her legs, rendering them immobile as well. “So, you wanna get rough again?” he snickered, recalling their previous encounter. “This time your boyfriend isn’t here to save you. No one will save you,” he said threateningly as he pressed his lips against hers, knocking her head brutally against the wall behind her.

Julia felt as if she were choking. He was smothering her beneath his hard presence. She needed air, and she needed it now. Jerking her head quickly to one side, her pearly whites came chomping down upon his already tender lip. “Ow!” he yelped in pain, temporarily releasing her, holding his hand to his now constantly bleeding lip. Surging with fear and adrenaline, Julia forcefully brought her knee up. It found its mark between the sentry’s legs, and he doubled over in pain. Quickly jumping over his writhing form, Julia tried to make a run for it. The sentry’s pain quickly turned to anger, and he grabbed her ankle as it passed his head. The firm, vice-like grasp made Julia fall forward, crashing hard onto the solid ground. Shaking her now pain ridden head, she struggled to get up, but he was quickly upon her, again pinning her hands above her head with his large hand.

Julia looked up at him, and images of their previous encounter haunted her mind. Trying desperately to bury them in the past, she glared at him sitting astride her. “You bitch!” he exclaimed as his hand came down hard against her face. “You got away last time, but no one will save you now!” he said with a smug smile that echoed doom in her mind.

Her head was pounding, and she ached to be free of his oppressive weight upon her. Fear was very palpable upon her tongue, and she knew no one would find them in the barren south sector. If she could not find a way out, he would finally have his way with her. She tried to slow her racing heart, not wanting to give him the satisfaction of knowing that she was afraid. “He will not have that,” she thought grimly. “He will not have my strength.”

Julia began to struggle beneath him, despite the pain that was quickly claiming dominion over her throbbing head. “You’ll never get away with this,” she uttered, sounding less convincing than she had hoped.

Dekkar’s smile broadened. “Ah, you’re forgetting who I am.” His eyes narrowed and stared straight through Julia. “It’s your fault I have been temporarily demoted to perimeter patrol, you and your interfering boyfriend.” His anger began overflowing as the crimson from his lip fell onto Julia’s shirt. He grabbed her face with his other hand and thrust it violently against the ground beneath her. “But he’s gone now.” He smiled menacingly. “I saw to that, and he can never interfere again,” he said satisfactorily as he rose his hand to strike her again.

Julia squinted in fear and turned her head, anticipating the coming pain, but as his hand began its descent, another large hand swooped out of the night sky and held it in place. Hesitantly, Julia opened her watery blue eyes. She saw a large shadow grab Dekkar forcefully and pin him to the barrier wall. Relief quickly washed through Julia, and she grabbed her aching head, feeling a sticky wetness at the back of her scalp. She rose upon unsteady legs, and through now blurred vision, she watched in horror as the large shadow began to beat on Dekkar. For a faint moment, she saw Alonzo, as familiar images plagued her once again, but the hazy dream passed quickly.

“Danziger, no!” she cried, stumbling wobbly toward him. “He’s not worth it,” she pleaded as she placed a firm hand on his arm.

John Danziger paused, still holding the man against the perimeter wall. His anger was pulsing through him like a quick, strobing fury, unwilling to be tempered, but hearing Julia’s voice, weak and frightened, seared through his anger to the tender heart that lay beneath the façade of the big, tough man. Reluctantly, he released the dazed Dekkar, and turned to face his friend. Danziger looked at Julia, and seeing the fear in her blue eyes and the large bruise upon her face, he felt his anger rising again.

Julia took a firm hold of his arm. “Please, not again,” she said, almost inaudibly. He knew she was referring to the previous incident with Dekkar. “Think of True,” she reasoned.

The very mention of his daughter’s name quelled the big man’s anger. He loved her more than anything in the world, and he would never intentionally endanger her. His gaze looked with fatherly concern to the young doctor. “Julia, are you okay? True told me that you were in trouble.”

Julia nodded, “I’ll be fine, but. . . .” Her voice was cut off and she stared wide eyed at the man that stood behind Danziger.

Danziger turned around and looked straight into the barrel of a magpro, Dekkar’s magpro. “You two have a lot to answer for . . . resisting an official search, assaulting a soldier of the Government. . . .” He had re-equipped his visor and was now talking into his gear. “I’m bringing two offenders in. Ready the detention cells, and send a replacement to the south sector,” he ordered.

* * *

The detention cell was a small steel and glass enclosure that was as colorless as it was dreary. An invisible energy field blocked passage to and from the cell. Julia lay upon one of the cots that jutted from the metal wall. She held her head gingerly, but it was not the physical pain that overwhelmed her but the pain of the past. It was about three months ago, and Alonzo sat where she lay now, an invisible force field blocking their touch. Tears welled within her eyes as his words echoed through her mind. “Julia, I don’t care what they do to me, that bastard deserves more than I gave him,” Alonzo said angrily, standing to face his love, who stood on the other side of his prison.

The cut on her lip had dried, but the bruises on her face and neck remained. Alonzo looked at her, wanting to reach through the field and mend her wounds. “Alonzo, I’m afraid,” she uttered softly. “They already fear your unique relationship with the Terrians. This is just the kind of excuse they need to crucify you.”

His gaze attempted to steady her trembling form. “Julia, I don’t regret one thing I did to that misogynist! He had it coming.”

“Alonzo, you almost killed him,” she said, afraid of the pride he took in beating a man to a pulp.

“Yes,” he said, trying to calm the rage that still festered inside him. “If I hadn’t come looking for you, if I had gotten there a few minutes later. . . .” Biting hard on his lip, he stopped himself, unwilling to utter the horrible possibilities out loud.

“But he didn’t, and now. . . .” Julia paused, fear for Alonzo’s safety running through her like a raging river ready to overflow. “These people are powerful. I don’t know what they will do to you. The Council. . . .” She silenced herself, disbelieving that she actually said that name out loud, in a Government building.

“It’s okay.” He managed a smile, knowing the fear and pain the ever-present Council brought to Julia’s life. “It’s in the Government’s hands now, and they are supposed to uphold justice,” he said, trying to convince her but unable to convince himself.

“Hey!” Julia’s mind now focused on Danziger’s yelling voice. “Get a doctor in here. Dr. Heller is injured.” His loud voice vibrated the metal walls of the foyer that preceded the detention cellblock, but the guards carried about, his powerful voice left unnoticed or ignored.

“I’ll be fine, John. I think I just have a mild concussion,” Julia announced weakly from the bunk.

“Hey, you’re awake,” he said as he moved to her side. “I tried to wake you earlier, but . . . I thought you slipped into a coma or something,” he admitted with genuine concern.

She laughed lightly at his amateur assessment. Then, her smile faded as she recalled her dream. “I was just dreaming about the last time I visited this cell,” she said grimly.

“Oh.” He grabbed her hand in understanding, his firm but tender grip assuring her that he would protect her.

“I’m sorry, Danziger,” she said through sorrow-filled eyes.

“What are you talking about, doc?” He smiled mischievously. “I’m the one who used the idiot for a punching bag.”

“This is all my fault. I put us in danger, and. . . .”

“John, Julia, are you okay,” a voice interrupted. They both turned toward the entrance of the cell and saw Devon Adair. Julia could not help but smile. Dressed neatly like an official but shining with a spirit that announced the transformation the planet had infused in her, Devon seemed to be surrounded by a halo of light. Standing there like a savior in the night, she looked every bit like the leader of the Eden Advance team. “Guard,” she commanded with an official tone. “De-activate this field.” With a slight flash of light, Devon joined them in their prison. Immediately, she rushed to Julia, who was struggling to sit up with Danziger’s help. “Oh Lord, has the physician come to see you?” she began, her protective mode fully active now.

Julia waved off her efforts to call for a doctor. “I’ll be fine.”

“Julia,” Devon began in protest, knowing the stubborn doctor was a bad patient.

“I already tried, Adair,” Danziger insisted, smiling at the woman whose every action it seemed he could predict.

Turning toward the gruff voice that addressed her, relief washed over her as she saw that he was unharmed. An appreciative smile graced her face as she pieced together the missing details from the official report she had glanced over. Danziger nodded in acceptance of her gesture. Devon found herself looking fondly at the big man, who had come to be one of the fiercest protectors of the group of Advancers. Awkwardness filled the look the two had been exchanging. “Not now,” Devon thought to herself. Though she and John Danziger shared an affection they both were powerless to describe, now was not the time to get mushy. So, she reverted to the other dynamic that powered their strong bond. “Danziger,” she scolded. “Did you have to beat him senseless?”

“Here we go,” Danziger thought as he rolled his eyes. “Adair, don’t start,” he cautioned. “It’s been a long night and. . . .” Danziger paused, remembering the last time he spoke to his daughter. “Where’s True,” he asked worriedly.

“She’s fine. I left her with Yale and Uly,” she reassured him, wordlessly admiring the bond he shared with his daughter.

Glancing quickly at her chronometer, Devon sat on the bunk next to Julia. “I don’t have much time. Admiral Dekkar is very upset about his son.”

“Hey, I don’t pick who attacks innocent women,” Danziger said, throwing his hands up in defense.

“Nonetheless, the Government is using this incident to incite the colonists against the Advance team.”

“But the children . . . they’ve been cured. The Terrians have proven themselves time and time again to be our allies,” Julia protested.

“We know what the Terrians are and what they can give us, but the Government is still afraid. . . .”

“Afraid of their power being stripped away by a species they can’t understand,” Julia said distastefully.

“Yes, they are calling a public meeting of the Government Officials early tomorrow morning. I have to go over all the incidents before then. I just wanted to see you both, make sure you were okay and assure you that we’re doing everything we can to vindicate you.”

“That goes without saying, Adair,” Danziger said, smiling at the auburn haired woman.

“I’m glad you’re alright, Danziger, but you, Julia, I’m not so convinced of. I’m sending in the facility’s physician before I go,” she said, looking closely at Julia’s bruises. “You’re bleeding,” she said worriedly.

Julia looked down at her bloodied hand. “I have a small gash in the back of my head. It’s nothing.”

“What about the blood on your chest? Did he stab you?” Devon asked as Danziger moved in more closely.

A knowing smiled played across Julia’s lips. “That’s his blood. I sunk my teeth pretty hard into that unwelcome kiss he gave me.” The three laughed, savoring the temporary levity, but each could feel the taint of the dark shadow that had descended upon them, threatening their futures here.