- Text Size +


Heritage (3/4)
by Nicole Mayer



The next week seemed to pass in a whirlwind for Devon. Every free moment she had was spent with Alonzo, and he delighted in her company, for they both knew it could not last. They were of two different worlds, so they decided it was best to enjoy the friendship and not get too involved. But this was harder than either of them realised.

For the first time in years, Alonzo wasn't spending his station time pursuing every girl in sight. He had discovered a special friend in Devon Adair, and a bond had been forged that he would have never thought possible. There was something about her that just - clicked - with him, and it made Alonzo a little afraid because he knew he had to leave her. In mere days, he would be heading out on another two year mission, and could he really expect Devon to wait for him, year after year as she aged and he remained young? No.

So they were careful in their flirting, and only a few chaste kisses were permitted by either side because they were too afraid of saying goodbye.

Alonzo was still yet to meet any of Devon's family. He'd been introduced to Yale, who was, as Devon said, practically one of the family, but he wasn't an Adair. And Alonzo knew he would never be good enough for the Adairs.

On Alonzo's last day on the station, he was standing just in front of Devon's door just as Yale exited.

"Hello, Alonzo," the older man said. "Hi," Alonzo returned the greeting. "Is Devon in?" Yale seemed to frown. "Yes, I believe she is expecting you." "Great!" Alonzo started forward, but Yale's heavy hand on his shoulder stopped him.

"Alonzo," he said, "you do realise that this friendship of yours cannot last? Devon has much to do with her life, and she is not going to give that up for someone who drops in every few years."

"I know that," reassured Alonzo. "That's why I have to say goodbye tonight. She realises it too, but who knows? Maybe we *can* stay friends through the years. It can't hurt for me to have a powerful ally every time I drop back in!" Alonzo nearly laughed, but stifled it quickly at the grave expression on Yale's face.

"I hope so," he cautioned. "Goodbye, Alonzo." "Bye," Alonzo returned as Yale walked down the corridor. Smoothing his hair, Alonzo pushed the door chime.

"It's open," called Devon, and he walked inside. Alonzo stopped short when he saw her. She was wearing a beautiful ruby coloured dress that caused fiery highlights to play in her hair. Alonzo swallowed hard. There was a definite physical attraction between them.

"You look great," he managed.
"So do you," smiled Devon, crossing the room to study him more closely. Her heart fluttered as she took in his appearance, the casually pushed back locks of dark hair, the hypnotic eyes, the smile... She found it hard to believe how much her world had changed in only a few days.

That's what a whirlwind fling will do to you, an inner voice suggested. But it wasn't a romance, Devon had to remind herself. That couldn't happen. He was her friend, that was all.

Alonzo and Devon had planned to go out dancing again, but somehow, they ended up sprawled on Devon's couch watching old 3-D movies. Her living quarters were large, tastefully (and expensively) decorated courtesy of a team of the best interior decorators which Devon'd had nothing to do with. However, the couch was comfortable and inviting.

"I love this movie," sighed Devon. "Romeo and Juliet set in the mid twenty-second century, and yet the original dialogue remains intact!" Her eyes were glued to the vid-screen as the tragic tale unfolded.

Alonzo, in contrast, seemed more interested in the warring families than the time-honoured words. "Which space empire do you like the most?" he casually asked. "The Capulet Corps, or the Montague Mining Association?"

"Oh, who cares about those," sighed Devon. She wasn't usually so sentimental, but this was special. "It's the romance, and the tragedy, of this film that gets to me every time. Two people, so right for each other, yet torn apart by circumstances they can't control."

Alonzo took a sidelong glance at Devon. "Kind of like us," he suggested. Devon's features saddened. "You're leaving tomorrow." "I know."

Their attention returned to the unfolding drama. "She met him at a dance," said Devon in a hushed voice. "Eyes meeting from across the room..."

"...and a turned cheek from a kiss," continued Alonzo. "Love at first sight." He was feeling a strange sense of de-ja-vu and he moved, almost unconsciously, closer to Devon. She did not protest when he placed his arm around her and held her close.

"It's just so sad," whispered Devon, not sure if she were talking about Romeo and Juliet or herself and Alonzo. "At least they had one night together...one sweet night..." Devon turned to face Alonzo as she realised her words. He was so close to hers, and it only seemed natural that they would draw closer together until their lips finally touched in a moment that seemed to last for all of eternity.

"We can't do this," gasped Devon as she tried to pull away. "Shhh," hushed Alonzo. "Think of the moment. Tomorrow, I'll be gone."

"This is all the time we have left," said Devon sorrowfully. She looked deep into his eyes, and felt as if she were gazing into his soul. "One sweet night..."

With a flick of her wrist, the vid screen was off, and then Devon surrendered herself to the delicious sensation of Alonzo's lips descending on hers. One sweet night...

***

Morning in the spaceport seemed harsh and bright. Discordant noises assaulted Devon's ears amongst the dizzying world of movement and colours. Only Alonzo seemed real.

He was standing stiffly beside her. They did not touch now, for they both knew it was over.

"It was great knowing you," Devon offered. "I'm going to miss you."

"Think we'll keep in touch?" asked Alonzo. He knew the next time he was back on this station, it would feel like only a few weeks for him. Devon, however, would have aged the full two years, and who knew what would happen in that time for her?

Devon smiled at Alonzo, and her response surprised him. "You never know, I just might drop down and visit," she suggested. "And if I'm ever in need of a good pilot, I know where to go looking."

"That's for sure," promised Alonzo. "I'm your pilot whenever you need me. I hope we can stay friends."

"We will," assured Devon. She noticed Cicely Kai proceeding into a large ship. "Looks like your crew is ready to go."

"Yeah." They stood in silence for a few more moments while the world bustled past.

"Guess I should get going," said Alonzo reluctantly. He almost lifted his hand to touch Devon's cheek, but changed the gesture into a simple wave instead. "Bye, Dev."

"Goodbye, Alonzo," she returned, her voice betraying only a hint of sadness. Slowly, he turned and walked away, Devon's eyes following him until he reached his ship. There, just before entering the hatch, he paused to face her one more time. For one last moment, they were connected as they waved farewell, and then Alonzo was gone.

Alonzo Solace was no longer a part of Devon's life. But deep inside, he was somehow becoming a bigger part of her than she ever dreamed possible.

***

TWO YEARS LATER

"Life goes in circles, sometimes," Devon mused aloud. Here she was, again at the spaceport, waiting for someone who was late. But this time, she would not allow her eyes to be caught by a mysterious stranger. It was the first stranger she was now waiting to meet, a stranger who had caused the upheaval of her whole life; and she vividly remembered the morning of their goodbye.

And even though it was morning again, there was one major difference in Devon's life, one that ensured that history would not repeat itself. Her son, Ulysses.

He gurgled happily in her arms, and Devon stared down into his sweet face. He was pale and thin, but to Devon, none of this mattered. Uly was the most beautiful baby in the entire universe. "You're gonna meet your daddy soon," she told Uly, and then paused. Should she tell Uly that? It wasn't like Alonzo would ever be around for him. In that case, should she even tell Alonzo?

Perhaps this whole thing had been a bad idea. Alonzo Solace wouldn't really be expecting to see her again. How could he possibly expect her to wait? But neither of them had counted on the extenuating circumstances that had arisen, and the tiny life that had been created by their brief relationship.

Devon realised she owed it to Alonzo to tell him the truth. He had a son, there was no doubt about it. Although Uly did not look a thing like Alonzo (and Devon had the Syndrome to thank for that) sometimes, she was sure she could see traces of him in Uly's eyes. Precious moments that helped her cope with the pain and the worry about Uly's frail condition or the opposition she faced over being an 'Adair family disgrace'.

Shifting Uly onto her hip, Devon watched closely as the large ship gracefully docked against the side of the station. With a hiss as the pressures were equalised, the airlock opened. People began to pour out, some tired, some laughing, and some merely indifferent to their surroundings. Cicely Kai limped out, supported by a medic and Devon was horrified to see the scars on the once-beautiful woman's face. Again, the dangers of space had been terribly demonstrated.

Strangely, even after the last of the crew had exited, Alonzo Solace did not appear. Devon waited for what seemed an eternity, fear growing in her heart. What if he, too, was caught in the accident that injured Cicely? Her heart pounding, Devon left the viewing area and travelled down towards the bay.

"I'm sorry, Ma'am, but you can't go through there," interrupted a uniformed guard. Devon frowned, and with her free hand searched for her ID card in her pocket. Uly gurgled sleepily inside his immuno-suit. The suit made him heavy to carry, yet Devon didn't care. Her son was the most important thing in her life, and ever since that terrible day when she learnt that he unquestioningly had the Syndrome, her life had taken a bold new direction.

Devon's power, and her status, however, remained the same. She flashed the card, and the guard's expression immediately changed. "I apologise, Ms. Adair. I had no idea..."

She waved away his excuses and again started through the gate. Her confident stride did not falter until she was only metres from the ship's entrance. Then she stopped, wondering if she should go in there. Perhaps Alonzo hadn't even bothered to come back. Promises such as they had made were meant to be broken...

A noise drifted to her ears, jaunty footsteps echoing through an empty space ship. Devon lifted her eyes to the dim hatch as her heart leapt into her chest. And there he was.

Alonzo stepped from the darkness into full station light, and Devon smiled. He was exactly as she remembered, right down to the crinkles by his eyes caused by laughter. They were of similar physical age now, and Devon was determined to meet him as an equal.

Alonzo glanced up, and a look of almost disbelief crossed his features when he noticed Devon standing close by.

"Devon!" he said incredulously. "I guess I hoped a little, but I never expected..."

"Neither did I," she cut in. "But here I am, and, uh, I have someone for you to meet."

Devon swallowed nervously. Now was the test, to see what Alonzo was truly like deep inside and if he had the courage to face the past. Alonzo slowly stepped closer to her, his eyes focussed on the tiny bundle in the woman's arms. He wanted to reach out to touch Devon, but something made him hold back. There was a new sense of maturity in her eyes, and a change. She wasn't the person he had almost been in love with anymore.

Devon, too, almost sadly realised that she had overcome her attraction to Alonzo. The two years of steeling herself against the inevitable; and the new direction of her life had taught her that any future relationship between them could never be. If the circumstances were different...but no, that would never happen. Both Devon and Alonzo had accepted this as a reality.

"You were right, you know," said Devon as Alonzo stared down at the small child. "I did have a baby boy."

"Yeah," said Alonzo, speechless for once. Carefully, he brushed aside a tiny lock of hair on the baby's head.

"His name's Ulysses," Devon explained further. Lifting his head to look directly at Devon, Alonzo knew the answer even before he asked the question. "Your son."

Alonzo's hand dropped, and something akin to panic darted across his features. Devon had to laugh. He looked so comical, standing there as if he were stunned by the knowledge...which he was. But all too soon, the serious of the situation descended upon both of them.

"Are you sure?" was all Alonzo could manage to say. "Of course I'm sure!" returned Devon. "But he doesn't look anything like me..." "He has the Syndrome."

Alonzo visibly paled. He hadn't heard much about the illness, but knew that it killed children without fail. And now one of those children would be a part of him. "I'm sorry," he offered weakly.

"Don't be," replied Devon brusquely. She took a deep breath. "I can handle it," Devon lied. "We have the best doctors searching for a cure right now. I will do anything to save *my* son."

Shyly, Alonzo stepped around Devon so that he could have a better view of baby Ulysses. "He looks like a fighter. Just like his Mom."

With a wry laugh, Devon said, "He has to be. You have no idea of the hell my family's put us through. Demanding to know who the father was, pressuring me to get an abortion because your family bloodline wasn't good enough to be mixed with an Adair, and then to discover that Uly has the Syndrome..." A small gasp escaped her lips, and Alonzo realised that she was trying not to cry. "It's just so hard, you know? Even with my power and fortune, nothing is ever enough..."

Alonzo placed a comforting hand on Devon's shoulder. "I'm so sorry," he said sincerely. "If I had known...maybe I could've come back here and helped."

"No you wouldn't," Devon returned. "Your destiny is in the stars. I couldn't ask you to stay here and support me - we'd just end up hating each other."

Alonzo nodded, recognising the truth in her words.

"Well, do you want me to, uh, like help with his upbringing? I earn a lot of credits every space run."

"No," Devon cut off his offer. "I think it's best that you don't get involved. It's the best for all of us."

"But I want to help!" protested Alonzo. He felt a sense of duty to look out for his kid, even if he barely knew the little guy.

"Thank you," smiled Devon, and meant it from the bottom of her heart. "But I can afford anything he needs, and besides, my family doesn't know exactly who you are. I don't want to drag you into the mess."

"So you're saying that I should just stay away?" Devon sighed. "In essence, yes. I don't think Uly could cope with a father who dropped in every few years, especially as he's so sick. And Yale's always there for him, and for me. We're doing okay."

"And what about when Ulysses gets old enough to ask about his father? What then?" countered Alonzo.

"Uly might not live long enough," said Devon quietly, bringing the baby close.

"Devon, look at me," said Alonzo, lifting her chin so that she met his eyes. "I know you, I know you will find a cure somehow. I just don't want anyone to get hurt."

Sighing, Devon replied, "Well maybe I can tell him that his father is an explorer, out in distant galaxies on sleep runs of decades. Trust me, it's better this way."

Nodding, another thought struck Alonzo. "But what about us? I don't want to lose your friendship."

"You won't," promised Devon. "You're Mr Solace, Mommy's friend who drops in to visit every few years."

"I can handle that." Alonzo wasn't ready to deal with the responsibilities that came with parenthood, not now in his life when he still had so much to do. It was obvious that Devon loved her son more than her own life, so he could accept her decisions, and live with his own.

"That's it, then," said Alonzo. "I just wish it hadn't turned out this way," he offered.

Smiling sadly, Devon answered, "Our relationship, brief though it was, was a beautiful thing. I don't regret a moment of it, and Uly is a true blessing. Don't feel bad." She offered her hand to him, and Alonzo cautiously took it.

"Friends?" Devon asked.
"For life," ascertained Alonzo.

End of Part 3.