- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Uh - I forgot to acknowledge this possible [I'm not sure since he's been dead for ages!] copyright in my non-standard disclaimer - certain lines contained in the following work of fiction are taken from Othello - by William Shakespeare.

Certain elements of the Terrian scenes may be a little 'weird' - I was getting a little bored with the way the scenes were always done in the series and how everybody seemed to kow-tow to them [except Danz] because they were the locals.
So, this scene represents some of my major dislikes with the concept of the Terrians... .

Send all ye words to drteong@pc.jaring.my


THE SERPENT BENEATH THE FLOWER, Part 8
By Bernice Low


Alonzo looked down and saw himself standing on a high precipice above the clouds, probably somewhere in the middle of a range of mountains. Though here in the Dreamplane, it made no difference.

As if on cue, two Terrians appeared before him, sticks and all. They trilled a greeting to him, something along the lines of 'Long time no see.'

However, Alonzo was NOT in the mood for niceties. He felt he had been patient enough with the Terrians over the last three weeks, entertaining that dream they had fed him night after night for the last week without a clue from them as to what it meant, no head or tail.

It was time for some answers.
Intuitive as they were, the Terrians sensed his hostility and anger and trilled their mild distaste for such emotions to Alonzo.

Anger will achieve nothing, they trilled. Stop the crap! You know why I'm here, Alonzo snapped. No more mind games. They trilled softly and nodded and Alonzo noticed for the first time how irritating it was when they adopted that omniscience expression. The one which sort of said
'Everything is as we know it should be.' Strange. He never noticed it before but now he could see now why it bugged Danzinger sometimes.

Where is Julia? he demanded.
It is as you have seen and we have shown you, was their reply. You've shown me a cave somewhere out there. It could be anywhere on this planet he shouted angrily at them.

Your emotion blocks your path to discovery. Reflection. Calm. Use the Dreamplane to guide you. Let your inner thoughts take you to the place of your intent.

Alonzo fumed inwardly but disciplined his thoughts knowing that they could sense every syllable of annoyance he allowed to filter through his mind.

Why is this all happening? he questioned - and they'd better be as omniscient as they look, he grumbled , mentally.

There is One, they replied. One who brings disorder. Chaos. And They have followed him. That is why we have seen it fit to warn you.

Who is this They? he asked.
Those amongst us who follow not the ways of the tribe - who have abandoned the Mother and chosen another path. The path of the Human. The word 'Human' was spoken in a tone as close to disdain as the Terrians could get.

But how? Alonzo asked. He couldn't understand how Alex had managed to communicate with the Terrians.

They sought him. And They gave him the power of the Dreamplane. His mind... is is...

They paused, looking for the word.
...strong...determined...

There seemed a curious note of surprise in their tone. But it was pure luck that they found each other. Now they are in union, they trilled.

Alonzo's mind worked swiftly. Alex had somehow managed to make contact with some rogue Terrians. Or they had made contact with him. He must have known somehow that in deep sleep, with enough mental determination and discipline. he would be able to propel himself into the Plane. But how did it all fit in with Julia?

Tell me why They are important, he asked. They obey him. They do his bidding. Their minds are weak and he is strong - They have fallen into his path and strayed from the path of the Mother.

Alonzo grew worried. From the sound of the cryptic language, it seemed like the rogue Terrians were Alex's henchmen and he was using his stronger will to control them. It wouldn't be hard for Alex to find Julia if he had the help of such willing and knowledgeable accomplices.

Why did you give me that dream? He couldn't understand why the Terrians had offered to help him find Julia this time. Time and time again they had indicated that it was their policy not to interfere. Why now?

Our paths crossed and our needs have intertwined, said the Terrians.

They who have strayed can never return to the path of the Mother.

Alonzo understood. The Terrians could not ever welcome back those who had strayed. But to kill them was not within the rules of the Tribe.

You want us to do your dirty work, right? he threw at them. There was a nod and a series of thrills.

It must be done.

Alonzo shook his head.
Here's a little human advice guys - clean up your own mess. The Terrians trilled back, their tone laced with confusion. Dreamer - you must help us.

It is not our way to kill, they trilled. There was a hint of desperation. Alonzo sent his thoughts back exasperatedly. He was impatient to get out of there now that he knew what was going on.

Look guys - we're getting rid of your bad evil influence. I think that's payment in kind. He said a curt goodbye and tuned his mind to exit the Dreamplane.

You're welcome. We are happy to assist. Occasionally - they trilled.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Julia brushed away the tears from her eyes and willed the tears to stop. Enough! she ordered herself. This is getting you nowhere. Stop feeling helpless and get a grip on yourself.

She took a deep breath to calm herself. OK Heller. Think, reason, assess the situation and come up with the answer. This is no time for weepy hysterics or overly emotional soul searching.

She stood up and brushed the dirt of her clothes before stepping out of the cave. It opened into an space, a little distance away from the woods she must have run through.

I must have run about three to four kilometers from the camp site, she reasoned. She was sure that the colonists would be looking for her. Whomever she had stabbed the night before, her actions would have caused suspicion and concern. They'll be wondering what happened to me, she reasoned to herself.

For a moment, she felt unsure. Should she go back to the camp? Why not? What was she afraid of?
The answer came swiftly to her thoughts. Alonzo.
She didn't want to face the possibility that she had made a mistake. That she had really...

But I've got to find out what really happened or I'll go mad. A lingering thought crossed her mind. Alex. That this was all somehow Alex's doing. But how?
And why?
Those were the questions that needed answers. Answers she didn't have and answers she wouldn't get if she stayed out here.

She felt strangely queasy.
Nerves? Butterflies in the stomach?
Give you all the genes except those you need for guts, she muttered to herself. Just like the Council to muck up when it counts.

Just then, the ground beneath her feet seemed to tremble. Puzzled, she looked down. The tremors seemed to get closer and closer.

Instinctively, something told her to get lost from there and get lost fast! She ordered her feet to move. But two hands reached from the ground, and each grasped one ankle firmly. For a fleeting second, it registered in her mind that they were Terrian hands. She was being pulled into the ground.

Her morbid scientific curiosity was stifled by a terror that she would die. Correction Heller, you're going to die! her brain screamed. She felt herself being pulled rapidly into the ground and she opened her mouth to scream but no sound came out as she felt herself go into the earth.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Alonzo sat on the edge of the bed and let his mind wander, playing back over and over the dream that the Terrians had sent to him, looking for a clue as to where Julia might be. Did the Terrians have the gift of foresight as well - or had they simply read Alex's thoughts, his intentions and conveyed them to Alonzo? If they really had the power to see the future, what else could they tell him?

He focused his mind back to the dream, concentrating on sharpening out the images, looking for a clue. But the cave in the dream could be any cave in the area surrounding their campsite. He concentrated harder. The ridge tops above the cave. What did they resemble?

Imprinting the picture in his mind, he got up and stepped out of the tent. Locating a pair of jumpers, he scrambled to the top of the TransRover and looked around, his eye searching for any rock formation that resembled minutely what he saw in his dream.

He scanned all around until his jumpers focused on a stop five kilometers away. He zoomed in on the target - yes, it looked like a sitting Grendler alright. That was where Julia was.

He jumped off the roof of the TransRover and rushed to Devon's tent. Morgan, Yale and Devon were already there, trying to triangulate Julia's possible position when Alonzo rushed in.

"I know where Julia is." he announced as he burst into the tent. All three looked up from their maps and calculations. "Alonzo - what are you talking about?" Devon asked, puzzled. "No time to explain. We've got to go and find her now!" he urged. Devon looked at Yale and Morgan.
"Perhaps Alonzo has an angle into this Devon. We're not getting anywhere making guesses at where she might be." Yale suggested.

Devon agreed.
"Ask Walman and Danzinger to meet us there." Alonzo advised. "Alex won't be alone."

Devon's eyebrows shot up. Who could be in on this with Alex? No one else was reported missing from the camp. But Alonzo's repeated calls to get moving called for her to put those questions aside till for now. She would question him in the vehicle. She grabbed her GEAR and chased after Alonzo.

"McCann - let's go!" Alonzo yelled towards the MedTent. The tall doctor popped his head out and seeing Alonzo frantically signalling for him to follow them, disappeared and emerged again with a bag.

"Have you found Dr Heller?" he asked, with concern as he struggled to keep up, weighed down by his bag.

"Alonzo thinks he may know where Julia is." Devon explained. "She may need medical attention."

McCann nodded as they walked quickly towards the DuneRail. Alonzo jumped into the driver's seat and gunned the ignition, leaving Devon and McCann just enough time to jump into the vehicle before he tore off in the direction of the mountain.

"How do you know she's there Alonzo?" asked McCann as he clung on desperately to the side of the vehicle to stop himself from being thrown out.

"The Terrians...they told me." he replied. "And I just have a feeling... did you radio Danzinger and Walman?" he asked Devon, who sat in the passenger seat beside him.

"They're on their way." she shouted, over the wind. "Alonzo! Who is helping Alex?" she asked, unable to contain her curiosity any more.

"Terrians." he yelled back over the roar of the DuneRail. "Shouldn't you be driving a bit slower?" McCann asked timidly from the back. "No! We have to get to Julia fast!" Alonzo snapped. "Why are the Terrians helping Alex? How?" Devon quizzed. "I don't know. The Terrians didn't really say. All they told me was that there were a few of the tribe who had strayed and somehow managed to hook up with Alex."

"Is he controlling them like Gaal?"
"No. Sounds like they're voluntarily helping him. There!" Alonzo lifted up one hand from the wheel to point to the cliffs that loomed before them.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Danzinger and Walman were already waiting at the entrance to the cave when Alonzo pulled up in the DuneRail.

"We headed here as soon as we got your message." Danzinger said to Devon as they climbed from the DuneRail. He watched as Alonzo clipped a laser pistol to his belt and extract a torch from the Rail.

"Terrians showed me that she's be here." Alonzo said tersely, looking at the cave entrance.

"What's with the laser pistol?" Danzinger asked, observing Alonzo keeping his hand on the weapon as he started for the entrance.

"Alex may be using rogue Terrians to help him in whatever insane plan he's devised." Devon explained.

"In that case..." Danzinger strode over to the ATV and yanked out a Mag Pro, "I don't wanna get caught by surprise." he patted the heavy weapon. He unclipped his own laser pistol and flipped it over to Walman, who caught it neatly by the handle and clipped it to his own belt.

"Solace - you ok?" Danzinger asked the younger man gruffly. He knew Alonzo was anxious to find Julia and worried, but he didn't want Alonzo to plunge himself into danger unnecessarily.

"I'm fine Danzinger. Let's go..." he said urgently. Danzinger eyed his friend critically, but Alonzo displayed no obvious signs of being troubled by his stab wound.

"OK. Walman, you take the rear, Alonzo the point. Doc, you and Devon follow behind me and Alonzo." barked Danzinger as he slung the MagPro on his shoulder and unclasped the safety.

They entered the cave in single file, Alonzo carrying a torch that illuminated the way. Several meters into the cave, they could hear distinct voices.

"Ssssshhhh!" Danzinger warned as the voices became clearer. They stopped and listened. There was a strong masculine voice and it took only several seconds for Devon to discern that it was Alex. A weaker voice could also be heard, and after careful listening, left them no doubt it was Julia.

Hearing Julia's voice, Alonzo darted forward, but Danzinger quickly caught hold of his jacket and restrained him.

"Easy buddy. These caves will echo our footsteps and carry our voices. Remember, we don't wanna announce ourselves just yet!" he whispered.

Alonzo nodded. Danzinger was right. If they startled Alex, he might just do something brash and Julia...he forced those thoughts from his mind.

They padded slowly and carefully forward till they came to a fork in the cave. The voices seemed to come from both passages.

"It must be a large cavern in there. Both passages probably lead into the cavern." Devon whispered.

Danzinger nodded.
"Walman, Doc, you take the passage on the left. Alonzo, Adair and I will take the right. This way, we can surprise him from both sides hopefully. Keep your GEAR on." Danzinger instructed.

Walman nodded and started to make his way down the passage with the McCann. "Let's go." Danzinger whispered and they crept into the passage. Gradually the voices got louder and the passage wound upwards in a gradual incline. They emerged on a platform several meters above the floor of the cave in, as Devon had guessed, a large cavern. Scrambling behind some large rocks, they peeped downwards where the voices came from.

The cavern was lit by several lumalamps and Devon could clearly make out Julia sitting down, backed up against a large rock, while Alex stood over her. Around them stood several Terrians, in a stance Devon recognised as their 'on guard' position. They held their energy staffs upright and alert.

The conversation filtered up to the hidden colonists; every word crystal clear. Devon looked over at Danzinger and gave a sigh of relief when she noted that Danzinger had his hand firmly on Alonzo's shoulder as they listened and watched the scene below. The last thing they needed was for Alonzo to jump head-on into a fight and she could sense that he was near the point where all he could think of was getting his fingers around Alex's neck and wringing the life out of him.

Devon wanted Alex alive.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Julia opened her eyes slowly and squinted, dazzled by the brightness of the light from the lamps. She patted herself down by reflex, checking to make sure she had no broken bones and all her pinkies were on her two hands.

I'm alive!
She sat up and was startled by a Terrian standing directly in front of her. She looked up and realised she was in a cavern - a very large cavern too by the looks of it. She looked down at herself again - everything was in one piece. But she was clearly not in the same place. The Terrians must have transported her here by, she groaned, dragging her down through the ground.

For once, Julia felt no scientific curiosity attached to that experience. She was just extremely relieved that she was still alive. That was NOT a ride she cared to experience another time.

Slowly she got to her feet but before she could take a step forward, the Terrian standing in front of her released a bolt of energy from his staff that landed several inches short of her stockinged feet.

Julia jumped back with a yelp and bumped into a large rock behind her. She eyed the Terrian carefully. It stood right in her way and seemed determined to stop her from going anywhere.

Then she noticed that she was encircled by a ring of Terrians, standing on guard as it were.

She held up her hands in a gesture of surrender. "OK - I get the picture." She sat down slowly and leaned against the rock, watching her captors. What could they possibly want with her? And why were they stopping her from leaving?

"Welcome to my humble abode..." a familiar voice rang out from behind some rocks.

"Alex..." Julia watched him emerge to stand next to her Terrian guard. "A little space..." he murmured, and Julia watched in surprise as the Terrians moved back several paces away.

Alex held up his hands and surveyed the cavern. "Well?"
"Well what?" she lobbed back at him. "How do you like it? Oh I know, it's not quite the large spacious unit you'd expect from a man of my status, but it's a roof over our heads." he answered smoothly.

"What's he? The hired help?" she threw a look at the Terrian standing several feet behind Alex.

"I must admit, I could get used to having them around. Perhaps they're not quite as..." he paused "... expendable as I once thought they were." he admitted, his tone whimsical.

"But why are we talking about them? We waste time. What is important is you're here." he said slowly.

"How did you do it Alex? How did you gain control of them?" she asked, hoping that he would launch into a lengthy explaination. She needed to buy herself some time to think, to try and find a way out without being blasted to smithereens by his Terrian minions.

"I astound myself sometimes." he said giving her an arrogant smile. "My love, the Council has known far more about this planet than they let on to you. We've known about the Dreamplane and the Terrians for the last 3 years. From Eve, I was able to access the information you reported, while the Council still retained your loyalty."

He crossed his arms over his chest.
"I guessed that discipline of thought coupled with a sufficiently deep sleep could project me onto the plane. That's how Adair managed to do it - and how I managed to gain control of these Terrians. Uh uh, I wouldn't try anything funny if I were you." Alex pulled out a gun from inside his jacket and pointed it squarely at her as he noticed Julia darting looks around her.

"You may squirm past them, but I can assure you Julia I'm no class nerd when I comes to handling one of these." he warned.

"It's impossible Alex. Terrians are not easily subordinated!" she countered. "No matter!" he cut her off. "The important thing is you are here." "You orchestrated this from the start didn't you? Has Reilly sent you here? To get back at me?" she accused.

He laughed. "Julia...You credit me with more loyalty than I deserve. Reilly be damned. Everything I've done has been for purely personal and utterly selfish reasons. You." he said, waving the gun at her. "You should be flattered my love, that you've had such a powerful hold on me."

At her surprised look, "Oh yes, Julia. I'm not the blind kamikaze patriot of the Council anymore. You made me see the error of my ways. When you left me, I realised that my work, the Council, everything meant nothing without you there by my side. I suppose..."

He paused.
"... I did love you...and I still do." his voice was emotional. "From now on, things are going to be the way they were supposed to be. You. And me Julia. Together. The Council, the rest of the universe be damned." he vowed to her.

Julia backed up against the rock. Think, she ordered herself. Keep him talking.

"How did you manage to get me out here?" He smiled.
"I spent several months helping the Council develop a short term chemical weapon - a hallucinogen that heightens the subject's sense of paranoia. It responds particularly well when the suggestion of fear is already implanted in the subject's mind." he explained, emphasising the last few words.

"A knowledge of your..."
He cleared his throat.
"... personal life and..." he gestured to his head with his free hand. "... a familiarity with your personality and psychology... plus a few well timed nightmares on your part, which of course, I can't take all the credit for..." he said, pointing with his gun at the Terrian behind him "... was enough to make sure that by the time the hallucinogen was employed, you would respond suitably. All I had to do was put it in the water supply."

"Since nobody else displayed any signs of being affected by the hallucinogen, you must have tailored the drug to respond only to me, which with your medical background in genetics would have been easy. All you had to do was to induce the chemicals to respond to my exclusive genetic make-up, which you had access to from my medical database and your own knowledge. You then simply used your Terrian minions to find me and bring me here." Julia finished for him, surprised at the evenness of her voice, despite the horror she felt at the way he had managed to manipulate her. Alonzo, she agonised, tortured now by the knowledge that she had very nearly killed him.

He laughed. "Beauty and intelligence indeed." "Great minds think alike Julia." he continued softly. "I'm glad to see that several months traveling with those morons have not dulled your intelligence." he remarked, stepping closer to her.

"Those so called 'morons' will be looking for me as we speak." she answered angrily.

He bent down, holding the gun point blank at her. "I think not." he said confidently. "It seems fate is intent on keeping us together. The weather last night was an unexpected but terribly useful bonus. With the rainfall that heavy, all of my tracks would have been washed away. As would yours. Even if they did manage to find your tracks..." he reached out a hand and gently touched her face, "... all they would be led to is a dead end. Now Dr Heller, I'm sure you'll agree with me that I've pretty much summed up the situation at hand?"

Julia squirmed under his gaze. Her situation was looking rather bleak. Without a GEAR, she had no hope of even sending a signal to the camp. She doubted that even all the luck in the universe would get her out of this mess.

"What are you going to do with me now?" she asked, finally. "Do with you?" he repeated. "Why do you insist on making this all sound so terrible Julia?" he thundered.

Julia clenched her fists, willing herself not to be frightened by his sudden anger.

He grasped her by the lapels of her shirt. "Don't you understand? Don't you understand *anything* after all this time? You are MINE!" he roared. He shook her furiously.

"Nothing has changed. Did you honestly think that I threw my entire career away, subjected myself to thirty years of cold sleep to come to some god-forsaken planet because I believed in a worthy cause?!" he released his hold on her, throwing her back against the rock.

He took a deep breath, as if to calm himself. He crouched closer to her, lowering the gun.

"We can go anywhere Julia - wherever you chose." he said slowly, his fingers caressing her jaw.

"What makes you think I'll come with you?" she threw back in his face, shying away from his touch.

"Is this about the pilot? Solace?" he questioned, infuriated by her reply. "You may not care about the people here Alex but I do. I have a job to do - an obligation to those families coming here, to those children."

He pointed the gun at her again.
"Enough! I won't believe it's that half witted flyboy who is holding you back. Are you coming with me or not?" he shouted, giving her an ultimatum.

Julia lifted her head up and stared at him contemptuously, her answer a single syllable.

"No." Her gaze was unwavering.
She watched as the anger rose in him, though he concealed it well, only a slight quiver in his hands betraying how incensed he was by her refusal. He stood up and turned his back to her.

"Very well. You leave me no choice Julia." he said, as he turned back to face her. As he pointed the weapon at her, he seemed to hesitate.

"I ask you one more time to reconsider your position." he said through gritted teeth.

"Please." he added softly.
Julia looked back at him in the eye, unblinking. There was no need to answer him verbally.

"I wanted us to have another chance Julia. To start all over again." his voice was heavy with emotion. "But you persist in your resistance. And you appear to have made your choice that empty headed glory hound pilot." he bit out.

"So, cliched as it may sound..." he stepped closer to her and knelt down, aiming point blank for her chest, "... if I can't have you, then no one else can." Julia's eyes widened as his finger steadied itself on the trigger.

"You're mad!" Julia uttered desperately, her eyes locked on the gun pointing straight at her heart, and realising now that she had underestimated the extremes of his obsession.

"Maybe. But I can't bear the thought of you with anyone else and this is the only way there is...the only way I know..." he said, his finger poised on the trigger.

"Good night sweet Julia. Be thus when thou art dead, and I will kill thee and love thee after..." he murmured as he started to slowly squeeze the trigger.