- Text Size +


Away in an escape pod, no time to renege!

Our Messenger Pilot has broken his leg.

The Doctor, fair Julia

Has proven her worth

By healing his wounds,

On our shiny, new Earth.

--The Martin Classic Crashmas Carols Library



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hey, True! Come look at this, you’re never going to believe it!” Julia turned back to her sample with a gleeful smile pasted on her face. She’d been doing a lot of that lately, it seemed, with every crooked light and colorful scrap of fabric that was rapidly adorning every surface in camp.
So John Danziger was worried. Some things were as constant as the day was long with that man. In truth, it would be ridiculous to deny that she was guilty of the same crime, but if he could only see the positive change in the group’s morale, hear the Edenites humming Morgan's asinine songs under their breath as they worked, she was sure he’d come around to worrying a little less, too.

Trouble was, he was off on his own in the middle of nowhere, shivering on his bed roll, instead of back with the group where he belonged.

She’d gotten to know Danziger quite well in the months she’d been shoddily filling in as a sometime co-leader, and the more she'd learned, the more impressed she had become. He was an incredible father to True and the perfect support system for Uly. And for all his bellowing, he was incredibly considerate, at the oddest times, and in ways that had probably never even crossed Alonzo’s mind. Julia was as certain as always that Alonzo was The One, but a little part of her had become smitten with John.

Even if he was terminally lacking the Crashmas Spirit.

Julia could sense the dread of his imminent arrival amongst her friends, and she knew that they were worried that his disapproval would ruin the special day they had planned. But she knew full well that they were just as excited for his return, because, well…it wouldn’t be Crashmas without Danziger.

True ducked into the Med Tent. Her long braid, festively entwined with a Cameron’s abandoned red shoelace, swung drunkenly as she bounced up and down to keep warm.

“It sure is freezing out there!” She announced dramatically, biting the finger of her glove to remove it. “My dad must be moanin’ and groanin,’ just like always.” With just a hint of a rueful smile, the little girl tossed her coat to the ground and shimmies the rest of the way to Julia’s workstation.

“Wait till you see how neat this is!” Julia whispered excitedly, grateful for the subject change. True Danziger was definitely starting it miss her dad.

“What did you find? Is it a bug, or like, a cool rock or something?” Excitedly peering over the doctor’s shoulder, True scanned for the item in question. All she found was the yucky plants they’d been stuck with for dinner.

“I was running a microbial scan, and I detected something interesting in one of the plants we’ve been eating--”

“Yeah, the ones that taste like pee?”

“True, that’s disgusting.” Julia admonished, laughing nonetheless.

“Well, it’s the truth. What’s funny about the plants?” She asked, muscling her way forward until she could look into the MicroScan. Holding her at bay, Julia mocked offense.

“Stop shoving me, True! You don’t need the MicroScan to see it. Ready?” She asked excitedly, raising a small vial of jewel blue liquid.

“Do it! Do it!” True nearly shouted, bobbing up and down with excitement en lieu of the chill.

Julia tipped the vial until a few drops of the fluid showered on the small, prickly shrub that resembled a cactus covered in seaweed. Despite the dry landscape, this particular species always seemed to ooze moisture, and where the two wet compounds mingled a sudden, turquoise phosphorescence began to spread, catching each vein and soon encompassing the entire plant.

“Wow!” True gasped in amazement, and Julia found herself, once again, grinning like an idiot. “That is the coolest thing I have ever seen!”

“It occurred to me that the secretions of the plant might actually be another life form all together. We’ve seen how the species of this planet display an uncanny form of symbiosis. Who’s to say that two species couldn’t become so dependent on each other for survival that they didn’t actually exist without one another? What you see glowing is actually a strain of bacteria that converts the rays of the sun into moister to sustain the plant. It’s pretty incredible.”

“It looks like a laser show!” The little girl cooed, unable to resist the urge to poke at the iridescent sample. Remarkably, the viscous secretions of the plant continued to glow on her finger as she held it up to her face.

“I separated a sample, and it seems that the alkaline I added is enough to keep the bacteria alive for a few hours after it’s been removed. It glows because it’s reversing the very process that helps sustain the plant in the first place- it’s converting moisture into light. The phosphorescence will fade as it dries, but just imagine all the decorating we can do with glow in the dark paint!” Julia giggled with anticipation.

“This is the best discovery ever, Julia! We are gonna light up this camp so bright on Crashmas Eve that the Terrians are gonna think it’s daytime!” Wrapping an arm around the girl, Julia pulled her closer.

“Okay, c’mere, now you can look in the MicroScan.” As True did as she was told, the doctor described the distinguishing features of her specimen, and how she’d come to suspect the symbiotic relationship in the first place. Julia was careful to use words True could understand, but not to sound as though she was dumbing the whole thing down, which she knew her Junior Lab Assistant abhorred.

“They look just like all the other plant thingies we’ve found, Julia.” True sighed finally, squinting one eye shut, then the other. “How the heck can you tell any of ‘em apart? You must be the smartest person in the universe.”

“Well, that’s my job, True. I’ll bet you could tell me the name of every part in the Transrover, and you’re only eleven! Maybe you’re the smartest person in the world,” she suggested seriously. Looking up from the scope True beamed, but shook her head to dismiss such an idea..

“Naah. My dad is much smarter than me.” She reminded Julia, simultaneously reminding herself that she was miserable without him. The doctor watched as a curious series of expressions crossed the young girl’s face. Apparently she was coming to some sort of conclusion.

“What’s up, True? What are you thinking abo--”

“I need a gift for my dad,” She disclosed in a stage-whisper, leaning in furtively. Julia took a moment to digest the strange non sequitur and, before she could decide the best way to respond, True spoke again.

“I know Yale said that the Spirit of Crashmas has nothing to do with the ‘amputated tradition of--”

“I think you might mean antiquated--”

“That’s what I said.” True continued, dismissing Julia’s interruption with annoyance. “I know Crashmas has nothing to do with gifts, and it’s a time for thanks, and blah blah blah, and I know he made ‘no gift giving’ an official Crashmas rule, but I’ve been thinking about stuff. I think my dad might really need a present.”

Between her simple request and the heartfelt gleam in the her eyes, Julia had no idea how to respond to True's request.

“He does, huh?” The doctor asked softly, realizing that True would never ask for such a thing lightly. The two women had grown closer since she'd begun helping out around the Med Tent, but Julia had never been taken into the little girl’s confidence before. The doctor just hoped she could help to ease True's mind.

“Where we lived back on the Stations, there weren’t really any decorations or presents or anything, cause no one had any money for all that stupid stuff,” She began, earnestly giving Julia the facts with familiar bluntness.

Despite the fact that she had been decorating camp for two days straight, Julia could still sense the slightest trace of resentment for the practice that had been ingrained in True Danziger by years of wanting. The little girl shook it off and continued.

“I never liked Christmas. Not cause I could see all the cool toys the other kids got for presents, but cause it made my dad so mad. He never smiled at any of the stuff that’s supposed to make you smile at Christmas, and he was always tired and short-staffed cause the upper levels would need crew members to work their parties and build their decorations. It was an easy way for Drones to make a quick buck.”

Julia shuddered, she herself having been to several events where she’d been waited on hand and foot by Immigrant Workers. Would she have forgotten a man like John Danziger, if he’d ever crossed her line of vision?

“My dad never worked for ‘em," True continued, as though she could hear Julia's thoughts. "Said he’d rather get his hand caught in an unmanned disposal chute then pour champagne for the Blue Bloods.” The doctor winced again, this time at Danziger’s parental tact, “but Dad told me my mom went up to work one year when times were tough, and she stole a whole tub of real cashew nuts and three bottles of wine, and they had the best Christmas ever!”

The delight in True’s voice made it very clear what a luxury such simple items were down in the Quadrant, and Julia lost herself in the image of John, younger and carefree, reveling in such an indulgence. She could almost see him drinking purloined Merlot straight from the bottle and holding the love of his life in his arms.

Heller family holidays on the stations had been very different. All the halls were decked, the Synth-Tree festooned,her parents hopping from one important soiree to the next. Not an impersonal, functional gift left on the list, sure, but no one to really enjoy them with, either. No sense of history or tradition. She would have traded every present she’d ever received to spend a holiday with a true family, holding loved ones near and sharing the spirit together, even if it was as simple as getting cashew crumbs in the sheets.

She could hardly wait for Crashmas.

“Don’t worry, I know stealing is wrong, but that’s not the important part of the story, anyway. See, my dad always says “the Danzigers don’t do Christmas,” and when I was a kid I would get annoyed because I didn’t think it was fair. I wanted presents, and I wanted me and my dad to sing songs and eat candy, and that made him crankier than ever! I was just bein’ spoiled.” True denounced her infantile behavior with obvious distain, though Julia didn’t understand how a child with a life like hers could ever consider herself ungrateful.

“When I got older I understood that he couldn’t afford to buy me any presents, and then I felt terrible. Cause I didn’t want the presents in the first place, I just wanted Dad to laugh at Christmas, like that time with the stolen wine. I thought maybe Crashmas would be different, since it’s a different holiday and stuff, but he’s still grumpy. I guess I just thought maybe if I got him a present to surprise him, like Mom did, he would be as happy as he was that year. ” True sighed with an air of defeat. “Now that I say it out loud, it sounds kinda stupid, doesn’t it?”

Julia shook her head adamantly, thinking nothing of the sort, though she suspected Danziger’s lack of holiday cheer had more to do with Eleanor Moor than it did with stolen treats. Christmas probably had never been the same for him without her, and the passing year, with nothing to show for it, must have cut him deeper than the last. It was just like Danziger to ignore the holiday all together, unaware of how his suffering would appear to a child who’d never experienced such a loss. Julia suspected Charles Dickens was rolling in his grave.

“You know, True, your father’s been working hard to make sure everyone in camp is safe and cared for, and I think a little gift might be just the way to show him that we appreciate everything he does for us. And I think, “ she tugged the girl’s braid with affection, “that if we put our heads together, we can come up with something even better than boring old snacks. Something that will leave him no choice but to surrender to the Crashmas Spirit!”

True was right, Crashmas should be different, but the group’s dire straits had all but consumed their mechanic. Danziger needed to be reminded of everything he had, the very purpose of their celebration, and if his daughter thought a little surprise would help jog his memory then it was worth a try.

A hint of a smile curled at the girl’s cheek, and she dared to venture further.

“Really? So you’ll help me? Even though it’s against the rules?” She leapt from her seat, bouncing again.

“Well, since it seems that breaking the rules is always part of surprising your dad.” Julia winked, prompting a snort from True.

“Well, no one breaks them as much as he does, anyhow.” She conceded. “Let’s see...it should be something he needs, something useful--”

“Julia, we need you to come out here, please!”

Suddenly Bess called from outside the tent, only inches from the door. She didn’t enter, and her sing-songy voice didn’t quite match what she had to say next. “I think Alonzo might have broken his leg!”

“What?” The doctor shouted in response, quickly rising from her stool. "Again?" She grabbed her Diaglove from the table.

“What did he do this time?” True asked bluntly as she grabbed her coat by one sleeve and quickly followed Julia into the frigid dusk.

Bess was no where to be found.

Quickly surveying the camp, Julia could see a cluster of Edenites huddled by what appeared to be a giant archway, constructed from what could only be the support poles of one of the spare tents. It was draped with fabric, a mish mash of different patterns all tied ornately into bows, marking the entrance to the Crashmas festivities.

“When did that go up?” She asked her little companion absently as they both hurried to cross the distance.

“A little while ago. Bess and Denner have been tying bows all afternoon. Isn’t it pretty?” She asked excitedly, apparently unfazed by the possibility that Alonzo could be injured.

Arriving at the makeshift gate, Julia didn’t see any signs of panic amongst the crew. Walman and Magus were chuckling, securing the 10 foot tall structure with a series of BioCords, and there was Bess, cuddled up to her husband to ward off the chill while she pointed out certain pieces of fabric with nostalgic delight . Mazatl was tinkering with something, but the bulk of his attention was focused on Uly, who was practically running in circles while singing “Oh Little Town of New Pacifica.”

She didn’t see Alonzo anywhere.

“You look a little cold, Doc. Maybe I should warm you up.” Coming up from behind, the pilot wrapped his arms around her, pressing his face to her hair.

“What’s going on, Lonz? Bess said you hurt yourself, is everything okay?” Unable to turn around with his arms coiled so tightly around her mid-section, Julia strained to catch a glimpse of his face.

“Naah, everything’s fine. I just needed a ploy to get you right in this spot.” He chuckled, the vibrations in his chest warming her. “You’re shivering, Babe.” He laughed, turning her to face him and rubbing his hands over the thin fabric covering her arms.

“Well, I didn’t stop for my coat, seeing as I was led to believe there was a crisis.” Julia informed him sarcastically. Zipping her coat loudly, True scoffed.

“I knew they were making it up! Bess sounded too happy. Plus, there’s no way you’d be stupid enough to break your leg three times.” With these parting words of wisdom, she shook her head and ran off to join Uly.

“Thanks for the vote of confidence, True.” Alonzo called after her, shaking his head with laughter.

“I would have suspected something myself, but you do have a pretty impressive history of femoral injury.”

Teasing Lonz had always been one of Julia’s secret joys, and he growled with playful anger, just as always. It gave way to giggles as he attempted to maneuver the woman in his arms until he had her directly under the archway.

“What are you doing?” Julia asked, bewildered, still firmly trapped and along for the ride.

“I wanna show you something, Doc. Look at that.” He whispered, pointing straight up with a devilish grin.

Julia looked up to discover what looked like a rather large tumbleweed, suspended from the center of the trellis by a shiny silver bow. They’d been encountering these plants throughout the arid regions of the planet, and while it looked like a bundle of sticks and underbrush, she’d been able to ascertain that it was actually a living form of flora, despite it’s unsightly appearance.

This whole thing was just getting odder and odder, and Julia hated feeling confused.

“How did that get up there?” She questioned, and the pilot laughed again, taking her face in his hands.

“We put it there, Jules. It’s an old Earth tradition that Bess thought we should revive.” He leaned into her, attempting a kiss, but he pulled away distractedly to study the incongruous decoration.

“How strange! It looks like--”

“Shh. I know what it looks like. It’s not plant that matters, it’s the tradition that comes along with it.”

“And what would that be?” Julia asked exasperatedly, finally meeting his eyes. The heated twinkle she saw there left her with no choice but to indulge him, whatever he may be up to.

“We’re calling it Thistletoe," he whispered, "And when two people find themselves standing underneath it, they’re supposed to kiss.” With a wink, he leaned in again.

This time his lips wouldn’t take no for an answer.